Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Genius

I'm from The netherlands which is quite a small, but interesting country. biggrin

so go ahead and ask anything you would like to know. smile

Adorable Waffles

21,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
What's an easy way to distinguish between The Netherlands and Denmark? I always get those 2 countries mixed up. sweatdrop Like, what are some famous landmarks, items, food, etc. from each country?

Also, how many countries speak Dutch as their official language? I know I can google that, but I may as well ask while I'm here. xd

Friendly Genius

badtzmaru
What's an easy way to distinguish between The Netherlands and Denmark? I always get those 2 countries mixed up. sweatdrop Like, what are some famous landmarks, items, food, etc. from each country?

Also, how many countries speak Dutch as their official language? I know I can google that, but I may as well ask while I'm here. xd

I do not know anything about denmark..

Best way to realise it is the netherlands is to look at the west side of germany on the world map
it is the small coastal country.

The netherlands is famous for... Mills, wooden shoes, 10 thousand different cheeses, Fields of flowers, legal weed and mushrrom consumption, and legal prostitution...

as far as I know Dutch is only used in its complete form in The Netherlands itself...

Adorable Waffles

21,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Noble Shade 100
Ohh, Denmark speaks Danish. sweatdrop For some reason, I thought there were a few countries around The Netherlands that speak Dutch. So, Dutch is solely The Netherlands! Good to know, as my uncle-in-law is Dutch... sweatdrop

The Netherlands + Belgium = Holland? surprised

Windmills and clogs... Do people yodel there a lot? eek /totally curious and not stereotyping emotion_sweatdrop

Friendly Genius

badtzmaru
Ohh, Denmark speaks Danish. sweatdrop For some reason, I thought there were a few countries around The Netherlands that speak Dutch. So, Dutch is solely The Netherlands! Good to know, as my uncle-in-law is Dutch... sweatdrop

The Netherlands + Belgium = Holland? surprised

Windmills and clogs... Do people yodel there a lot? eek /totally curious and not stereotyping emotion_sweatdrop

Holland actually is a region of the netherlands... and we do not yodel here xD
I think that is in germany or swiss xD

Adorable Waffles

21,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Noble Shade 100
I see... I'm learning a lot. ouo

How many regions (provinces?) do you guys have?

What's your favorite cheese from The Netherlands? lol

Is there a shorter nickname or abbreviation for your country? rofl And do you have to capitalize the 'The'?

Friendly Genius

badtzmaru
I see... I'm learning a lot. ouo

How many regions (provinces?) do you guys have?

What's your favorite cheese from The Netherlands? lol

Is there a shorter nickname or abbreviation for your country? rofl And do you have to capitalize the 'The'?

favorit cheese is the plain and simple one or one with herbs biggrin

in Dutch the country is called Nederland (nee-der-land) so the short version would be NL

and yea i do believe so that the The has to be capitalized.. to my knowledge that is English grammar razz

The Godfather
The Phantom of the Opera
ect

Adorable Waffles

21,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Noble Shade 100
Thanks for the mini Q&A on NL! 4laugh

How do you say "hello" and "thanks" in Dutch?

Friendly Genius

badtzmaru
Thanks for the mini Q&A on NL! 4laugh

How do you say "hello" and "thanks" in Dutch?

Hello = Hallo
Thanks = Bedankt

Adorable Waffles

21,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Noble Shade 100
bedankt emotion_kirakira

Friendly Genius

badtzmaru
bedankt emotion_kirakira

Geen dank
Direct translation would be 'no thanks'
but it means 'No problem'

Original Explorer

14,475 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Overstocked 200
Did all the short (5'4" and under) Holland people evolve out of existence? I'm fairly sure the Dutch were not the tallest in Europe 100 years ago, but it's different now.

Do you (all of you; as a country) miss Indonesia? It seems like there are still a lot of ties there, not the least being the half-Dutch half-Indonesians running around.

Is it a matter of pride that the Dutch often speak better English than native English speakers?

Friendly Genius

Bezant
Did all the short (5'4" and under) Holland people evolve out of existence? I'm fairly sure the Dutch were not the tallest in Europe 100 years ago, but it's different now.

Do you (all of you; as a country) miss Indonesia? It seems like there are still a lot of ties there, not the least being the half-Dutch half-Indonesians running around.

Is it a matter of pride that the Dutch often speak better English than native English speakers?

nah we still have short people, if you look for them biggrin

I am not enitrely sure if we miss indonesia... I am quite sure they do not miss us though xD

it may be a matter of pride for some people but not for me razz

sorry for the vague answers but you ask me to answer for an entire populace razz

Shameless Sweetheart

(I ask all Dutch people this because it's fun to compare answers. c: )
Does it bother you that a lot of people (at least here in America ;-; ) call it "Holland" and not "the Netherlands"?
It bothers me...

Friendly Genius

Cookie_Paradise
(I ask all Dutch people this because it's fun to compare answers. c: )
Does it bother you that a lot of people (at least here in America ;-; ) call it "Holland" and not "the Netherlands"?
It bothers me...

well not really..
I am sure some Dutch people think that America and the USA are the same. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out