Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cluttered Gaian

32,525 Points
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
Looking for someone to chat with in Norwegian, to help with my skills in the language. There's a Norwegian guild on here, but it's pretty much dead. xd

My fluency level is beginner-intermediate.

Friendly Friend

6,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
Good luck! There used to be some nice Norwegian people on here. I remember talking to a few. Don't know if they're still around, though.

My level is...extreme beginner, but I want to learn so bad. How do you study Norwegian? It was hard for me to find the few real study materials I did find for Norwegian.

yum_puddi

Cluttered Gaian

32,525 Points
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
thedizzybear
Good luck! There used to be some nice Norwegian people on here. I remember talking to a few. Don't know if they're still around, though.

My level is...extreme beginner, but I want to learn so bad. How do you study Norwegian? It was hard for me to find the few real study materials I did find for Norwegian.

yum_puddi

Honestly I just started by looking up songs in Norwegian (only bands I've found are Kaizers Orchestra and Gåte), and listening to them while looking at the lyrics and using Google Translate. Plus trying to read news articles in Norwegian (http://www.dagbladet.no/ and http://www.nrk.no/).

I do have one penpal who I write with, but it took forever to find someone who was interested in helping me and who could keep up a conversation! XD She says I'm well enough that someone in Norway could understand what I'm trying to say, even though my gammar's still pretty bad. XD

Friendly Friend

6,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
Kitn Lefure
Honestly I just started by looking up songs in Norwegian (only bands I've found are Kaizers Orchestra and Gåte), and listening to them while looking at the lyrics and using Google Translate. Plus trying to read news articles in Norwegian (http://www.dagbladet.no/ and http://www.nrk.no/).

I do have one penpal who I write with, but it took forever to find someone who was interested in helping me and who could keep up a conversation! XD She says I'm well enough that someone in Norway could understand what I'm trying to say, even though my gammar's still pretty bad. XD
Ah! A lot of people learn languages through music. I tend to be a textbook person. With media learning, I tend to enjoy it too much, and I end up not learning anything. That's why I could never learn Japanese through sub anime, because I'd just end up reading the subs and watching the show. xd

Have you ever heard of Crienexzy? She does Norwegian language videos for Youtube. Most of them are basic, but she has a lot of nice information. I really enjoy watching her videos.

Cluttered Gaian

32,525 Points
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
thedizzybear
Kitn Lefure

Ah! A lot of people learn languages through music. I tend to be a textbook person. With media learning, I tend to enjoy it too much, and I end up not learning anything. That's why I could never learn Japanese through sub anime, because I'd just end up reading the subs and watching the show. xd

Have you ever heard of Crienexzy? She does Norwegian language videos for Youtube. Most of them are basic, but she has a lot of nice information. I really enjoy watching her videos.

Yeah, I'm not very good at watching shows to pick up languages. I get too into reading the subs and such. >_< But music works with me, so long as I have the lyrics on hand so I can understand what they're saying. There's this one show, Dag, that I reaaaaally want to watch, but I can't find it subbed anywhere! And I'm not skilled enough yet to just watch it. XD The first episode is on Youtube with fansubs that are pretty good, but there's no "official" sub or anything like that. I can't even find it online in general, and all the places that have the DVD never ship internationally. crying

I've heard of her, and I think I've watched a couple of her videos. They're pretty good. 3nodding
Kitn Lefure

thedizzybear

Sorry to intrude on your thread. I do not speak Norwegian, though I have Norwegian roots, although I do not celebrate this side of my heritage. It is my goal to study the language this summer. There are old family documents which I want to be able to read.
I'm interested in learning Norwegian. Do you guys have any recommended sources?

Thanks you guys.

Cluttered Gaian

32,525 Points
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
TheSeaSinger

Sorry to intrude on your thread. I do not speak Norwegian, though I have Norwegian roots, although I do not celebrate this side of my heritage. It is my goal to study the language this summer. There are old family documents which I want to be able to read.
I'm interested in learning Norwegian. Do you guys have any recommended sources?

Thanks you guys.

Having Norwegian ancestry is the whole reason I picked up the language as well! My great-grandmother on my mom's side immigrated here with her family in the early 1900s. Sadly my grandmother never picked up the language herself, so I've had to learn on my own.

I've never really used any actual study material so far, except to read the silly passages in a grammar textbook I found at my university's library. As mentioned above, the best I can suggest is music and news stories/other written media(the written media would probably be best for you, if you're planning to read family documents and such). I have a penpal in Norway as well, and that's fairly useful.

It's honestly not that hard of a language compared to English. The structure's pretty much the same, and I feel like a lot of the vocab, while not necessarily looking/sounding like the English counterparts, just make sense...I dunno if that makes sense though. XD

Feel free to PM me if you'd like and I could maybe try to help translate a bit for you, as well as teach you what little I know.. Just remember that, depending on where the documents came from and how old they are, they may be written in Nynorsk or possibly even Danish if they're old enough.

Questionable Prophet

6,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Hei! Hvordan har du det? smile

I'm trying to learn. I'm an absolute beginner. I want to study in Norway and I want to know at least some of the language before I go. Any good resources for a beginning learner?

Cluttered Gaian

32,525 Points
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
Miza_Radioaktiv

I'm trying to learn. I'm an absolute beginner. I want to study in Norway and I want to know at least some of the language before I go. Any good resources for a beginning learner?

Sorry! For some reason I didn't get a notification about a reply, and I just noticed your post when I went to bump the thread. sweatdrop

Jeg er vel! Og du? ^_^ I wanted to study in Norway, but couldn't find anything that pertained to my study interests that wasn't going to cost me a crapton more than I already have to pay for school. XP But I hope to live in Norway one day. As far as learning, I've just been listening to music, reading news articles and writing to penpals in Norwegian. That's about as close to immersing myself in the language as I can get right now. XD

Magnetic Shopper

Heya im Danish
norway is my next door nabor XD you guys should study danish, its so much cooler >: D
can probably help you put together sentences if you want / Danish Sweedish and norwegian sounds pretty close after all.

Space Witch

37,750 Points
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Screeching Savior 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Jeg er ikke norsk men jeg bo i Norge og snakke litt. biggrin

Space Witch

37,750 Points
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Screeching Savior 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Miza_Radioaktiv

http://www.pimsleur.com/Learn-Norwegian

This helped me a lot.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas