Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been looking at becoming an EFL teacher for several years now, and it's something that I'm actively pursuing. To anyone living anywhere outside of their native country, how's your experience with it? One of the things I'm worried about is the pay, but I know there are several programs that help EFL teachers both find a school and finance it. How was your experience in the classroom? Anything you recommend?

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
i started my first job as an EFL teacher a few weeks ago in south korea.

i don't know which places you've been looking into but the pay here is pretty good compared to other countries i looked at. i get an apartment and money for my flight here and some money towards what my visa documents etc cost so i only really need to pay the bills, buy food and pay a small amount every month for medical insurance.

so far the classroom has been kind of terrifying to me but it's not really that bad when you're actually teaching (i just stress over it a lot every night when i'm preparing for lessons). a lot of my classes have textbooks i have to teach from so the textbook work takes up most of the time and i only really have to come up with end-of-lesson games to make it more fun. a lot of the textbook stuff is already 'fun' though. my other classes are 'after school' classes so i need to have ideas for games and activities in those.

i teach in a public school so i can't really say what the more 'business-like' private schools are like.

i teach monday-friday so i have every weekend for travelling and doing fun stuff~
Pugnacious Banana

i don't know which places you've been looking into but the pay here is pretty good compared to other countries i looked at. i get an apartment and money for my flight here and some money towards what my visa documents etc cost so i only really need to pay the bills, buy food and pay a small amount every month for medical insurance.

so far the classroom has been kind of terrifying to me but it's not really that bad when you're actually teaching (i just stress over it a lot every night when i'm preparing for lessons). a lot of my classes have textbooks i have to teach from so the textbook work takes up most of the time and i only really have to come up with end-of-lesson games to make it more fun. a lot of the textbook stuff is already 'fun' though. my other classes are 'after school' classes so i need to have ideas for games and activities in those.

i teach in a public school so i can't really say what the more 'business-like' private schools are like.

i teach monday-friday so i have every weekend for travelling and doing fun stuff~

Ah, congratulations on landing the job!

I have a few in mind, but I usually try to keep mum about the places I'm interested in for a few reasons. So, you were recruited while you were still living in your own country, or, at that point, were you already living in the country you were interested in?

What level of class are you teaching, if you don't mind my asking? I'd like to look into the high school level because I'm absolutely horrendous when it comes to dealing with younger children. At the same time, though, I'm worried that I either won't be able to make learning interesting enough, or I'll make it too boring.

I imagine it would be a lot more difficult to land a job as a foreigner in a private school.

Fashionable Gaian

I also taught EFL at public elementary school in Korea for three years, and about six months at a private academy.

When I first came to Korea, it was the highest paying country for EFL jobs. I believe we were surpassed a few years ago by Turkey. Of course, I didn't come here for the pay. I came because I loved being in Korea as an exchange student. However, I absolutely hate teaching. It's really not my thing. But for someone who hates teaching as much as I do, I stuck around for a long time because the job was good, and I adored my kiddos.

I have some friends who work in private elementary schools here. From what I recall, seems like the requirements are pretty much the same.
Murela
I also taught EFL at public elementary school in Korea for three years, and about six months at a private academy.

When I first came to Korea, it was the highest paying country for EFL jobs. I believe we were surpassed a few years ago by Turkey. Of course, I didn't come here for the pay. I came because I loved being in Korea as an exchange student. However, I absolutely hate teaching. It's really not my thing. But for someone who hates teaching as much as I do, I stuck around for a long time because the job was good, and I adored my kiddos.

I have some friends who work in private elementary schools here. From what I recall, seems like the requirements are pretty much the same.

Oh, wow, really? I never took into consideration the differentiation of pay from country to country. Glad you mentioned that. Oh, man. I'm looking to study abroad in my target country, but it's way more than I can afford without working for a long time. I'm a tad jealous now. I think I would enjoy teaching. Part of the reason I'm going into it is because I'm really interested in linguistics, particularly in the study of other languages, I think I would like to be a teacher, and I know I would love to travel. Unfortunately, I've never traveled outside the States, and I'm still rather green with the inside of it. I imagine that Elementary schoolers would get on my last nerve, aha.

Ah, really? I expected something much more difficult.

Fashionable Gaian

AllemandsMinuscules
Murela

Oh, wow, really? I never took into consideration the differentiation of pay from country to country. Glad you mentioned that. Oh, man. I'm looking to study abroad in my target country, but it's way more than I can afford without working for a long time. I'm a tad jealous now. I think I would enjoy teaching. Part of the reason I'm going into it is because I'm really interested in linguistics, particularly in the study of other languages, I think I would like to be a teacher, and I know I would love to travel. Unfortunately, I've never traveled outside the States, and I'm still rather green with the inside of it. I imagine that Elementary schoolers would get on my last nerve, aha.

Ah, really? I expected something much more difficult.

Are there no scholarships/tuition waivers at schools in the country you want to go to? I studied for one term here for free because of an agreement between my uni in America and one of the unis here. A lot of the universities here also have free/nearly free tuition for foreigners who have the intention of living here after graduating.

I'm like you, I love linguistics and traveling. I thought I wanted to be a teacher, but then I started taking education classes in uni and I quickly realized it wasn't my cup of tea. I like playing and being friends with my students too much. Young kids can be annoying, but I think the older kids are harder to deal with. In countries where students are forced to learn a language (i.e. English) that they have no desire or use for....they have terrible attitudes in class. The younger they are, the easier it is to make it seem fun and enjoyable. Also, when working with REALLY young kids, you get started with blank slates. They have no fear or history of failure so they're excited to learn everything.

Mega Gawker

7,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
I have been in Chongqing China for two months. I teach English at an independent learning center, it is a school and a company. I teach as young as 13 and as old as 55. I am required to teach up to 5 classes for 55 minutes each day. Sometimes I teach 6 classes but they pay me over time when it happens. My pay is very good for a foreign teacher. I get about 12 days for paid holiday.

This part of China is in the south, it is the 5th largest city (about the size of New York). The people are sweet but the language barrier is HUGE in this area. Being that I took Japanese in college, I can be helpless sometimes. Co-workers help me, most of them are Chinese but my closest friends are foreigners ( one of them is from an area that boarders China but she is Muslim).

China is very tough with the Visa process- it took me three months. It is even harder to get out of China if you are Chinese ( they need a Visa to go on vacation).

Let me know if you have any questions smile my center is always looking for more teachers. You must have a 4 year degree and be certified with a TEFL/TESL.
Murela

Are there no scholarships/tuition waivers at schools in the country you want to go to? I studied for one term here for free because of an agreement between my uni in America and one of the unis here. A lot of the universities here also have free/nearly free tuition for foreigners who have the intention of living here after graduating.

I'm like you, I love linguistics and traveling. I thought I wanted to be a teacher, but then I started taking education classes in uni and I quickly realized it wasn't my cup of tea. I like playing and being friends with my students too much. Young kids can be annoying, but I think the older kids are harder to deal with. In countries where students are forced to learn a language (i.e. English) that they have no desire or use for....they have terrible attitudes in class. The younger they are, the easier it is to make it seem fun and enjoyable. Also, when working with REALLY young kids, you get started with blank slates. They have no fear or history of failure so they're excited to learn everything.

To be painfully honest, I haven't thought to look. Definitely a good idea, though. I appreciate it. Without it, I'm looking at thousands upon thousands, which I definitely can't afford. ; 3;

I'm hoping that I won't run into the same issue, but it's been something I've already been thinking about. And as far as the older kids, that's definitely something that I can see, now that you've mentioned it. A reason, besides not being good with younger kids, that I'm wanting to deal with high school kids is because that's where i had initially found my passion for languages. I had a German teacher that really got me going in it and inspired to start looking into Linguistics. (Though, it wasn't until a few years into college that I officially changed from Computer Science to Applied Linguistics with SLA). However, that was also an optional class - one I took because I enjoyed it. If I were forced to take a foreign language that I didn't want to, I could definitely see that causing problems with some of the students... English is a required language in both countries that I've been studying.

I appreciate the responses, by the way.
Elly_Masamune
I have been in Chongqing China for two months. I teach English at an independent learning center, it is a school and a company. I teach as young as 13 and as old as 55. I am required to teach up to 5 classes for 55 minutes each day. Sometimes I teach 6 classes but they pay me over time when it happens. My pay is very good for a foreign teacher. I get about 12 days for paid holiday.

This part of China is in the south, it is the 5th largest city (about the size of New York). The people are sweet but the language barrier is HUGE in this area. Being that I took Japanese in college, I can be helpless sometimes. Co-workers help me, most of them are Chinese but my closest friends are foreigners ( one of them is from an area that boarders China but she is Muslim).

China is very tough with the Visa process- it took me three months. It is even harder to get out of China if you are Chinese ( they need a Visa to go on vacation).

Let me know if you have any questions smile my center is always looking for more teachers. You must have a 4 year degree and be certified with a TEFL/TESL.

Oh, wow. I've heard some about people doing that in the TEFL subreddit. You get paid by the time that you teach, right? I've heard also that the schedule can be a bit wonky, if I'm thinking of the same thing that you do. Of course, I'm not known for my smarts, so I may be thinking of something else entirely.

Is English a required subject in China, or is it typically only learned when needed? I'm of the opinion that Chinese should be a required language in the United States soon, given the size of the country, and the almost requirement to learn if you're wanting to take steps into international business. Either way, I'm of the opinion that everyone should learn how to speak at least one foreign language.

Visas are almost always a nightmare. ><;

Ah, really? I'm actually pretty happy to hear that you need a degree with a TEF/SL certification. I've seen a number of places that seem not to much care about what degree that you get, as long as you can speak the languages. That discouraged me quite a lot. Thanks for the response!

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
AllemandsMinuscules
Pugnacious Banana

Ah, congratulations on landing the job!

I have a few in mind, but I usually try to keep mum about the places I'm interested in for a few reasons. So, you were recruited while you were still living in your own country, or, at that point, were you already living in the country you were interested in?

What level of class are you teaching, if you don't mind my asking? I'd like to look into the high school level because I'm absolutely horrendous when it comes to dealing with younger children. At the same time, though, I'm worried that I either won't be able to make learning interesting enough, or I'll make it too boring.

I imagine it would be a lot more difficult to land a job as a foreigner in a private school.
i was recruited while i was in my own country. i couldn't come here and work without getting the visa first anyway. the visa process for coming here took a while too.

i'm teaching elementary schools. when i applied i said i didn't have a preference and that's what they gave me.

i don't think it's more difficult to get jobs in private schools, it's probably the same.
Pugnacious Banana
i was recruited while i was in my own country. i couldn't come here and work without getting the visa first anyway. the visa process for coming here took a while too.

i'm teaching elementary schools. when i applied i said i didn't have a preference and that's what they gave me.

i don't think it's more difficult to get jobs in private schools, it's probably the same.

Did you go through a program to get your job, or did you just apply directly to the schools? From most of what I've heard, Visas can be a pain in the a**.

Yeah, you're the second person to say that. Seems I was wholly and entirely wrong. :c

Thanks for answering!

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
AllemandsMinuscules
Pugnacious Banana

Did you go through a program to get your job, or did you just apply directly to the schools? From most of what I've heard, Visas can be a pain in the a**.

Yeah, you're the second person to say that. Seems I was wholly and entirely wrong. :c

Thanks for answering!
the job i accepted was through a program but i applied for some other jobs directly to schools. i went with this job because it was in a better location for me. i didn't make a decision based on it being a program.
What is an EFL teacher?
Lady Kariel
What is an EFL teacher?

English as a foreign language teacher.
AllemandsMinuscules
Lady Kariel
What is an EFL teacher?

English as a foreign language teacher.

Oh, interesting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items