Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
The name of the game is Alpha and Omega. The object: You have to come up with a word that begins with the same letter that the previous word ends with. Example:
I say "blue", then you have to say a word that begins with "e": eagle, effigy or enormous are all acceptable.
There are some general rules that I'd like to apply:

- Any word may be used. Nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, so on.
- No using different conjugations of the same word unless the conjugation is irregular. Be - is - were are acceptable, but not jump - jumped - jumping.
- You may use the entire syllable instead of just the last letter. (The reason for this rule will become apparent soon.) Example: Blithe => Them
- If the word ends in a silent vowel, you may use the most terminal morpheme that has phonetic value. You may also choose to use the final letter anyway, if you so desire. Example: More => Rambunctious *OR* More => Empirical. (The reason for these rules will also become apparent soon.)
- Don't repeat words.

The twist!
You can use any word from any language that you know. There are, obviously, several rules that must apply.
- For any language that is not English, translate the word into English, even if the word seems obvious.
- For languages that have different writing systems, transcribe the word into the Latin alphabet to the best of your ability. You may also use the IPA, if you so desire.
- I want the next word to go based on the final sound, not necessarily the proper "letter", if the languages don't share the same writing system. So choose the sound that most closely approximates the previous word's ultimate sound. Example: Платье (Platye) "Dress" [The final letter e in Russian sounds like 'yeh', so the next word must begin with a sound as close to 'yeh' as you can get.] => Yesterday, Jätterstor ("Huge", Swedish) or Iecisti ("You threw", Latin) are all acceptable.
- If you're going off of a syllabic language, you may choose to use the final sound or use the entire final syllable. Example: 朝阳花 (Zhāo yáng huā, "Sunflower," Mandarin Chinese) [the sound of the Mandarin "hua" is hard to approximate in other languages aside from Mandarin itself, so you may just use 'a' only] => 合間 (Aima, "Interval," Japanese), Avond ("Evening," Dutch) or Apparemment ("Apparently," French) are acceptable.
- Fictional languages are allowed, such as Quenya, Klingon, etc. as long as the rules are observed.

I'm not necessarily looking for someone to win this game, but rather, I'm interested to see as many different people from as many different linguistic backgrounds to participate as possible.

Here's an example run:
Fury => りんご (ringo, "apple," Japanese) => oriens ("rising," Latin) => 好き (suki, "like," Japanese) => κυκλός (kyklós, "circular," Greek) => свобода (svoboda, "freedom," Russian) => daller ("to pave," French)

N.B.: Please make sure you go off the word that the person chose, not the English translation! This is a trap I've seen lots of people fall for.

So, I'll start!

Converse!
OK this is not good - I'm confused already :S Am I supposed to be using the word 'converse' or just making up my own? xd Ah well, I'll use it anyway:

evitar ("to avoid", Spanish)

Shameless Sweetheart

This sounds like fun~ c:

"Reaalsus"
"reality" in Estonian
(The "u" is more of an "oo" sound, everything else is pretty much the same as in English.)

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
Pengi-sama
OK this is not good - I'm confused already :S Am I supposed to be using the word 'converse' or just making up my own? xd Ah well, I'll use it anyway:

evitar ("to avoid", Spanish)

Worry not; you did fine. :}

Cookie_Paradise
This sounds like fun~ c:

"Reaalsus"
"reality" in Estonian
(The "u" is more of an "oo" sound, everything else is pretty much the same as in English.)

Sustineat.
"It ought to be supported."
Latin.
atserivik
[aˈtseʁive(k)]
[ah-tser-ee-ve(k)]
"Trash can" in Kalaallisut.

Loyal Wolf

13,100 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Partygoer 500
Kitten.

(I couldn't think of anything else...)
nominar ("to nominate", Spanish)
arfeq
[aʁˈfe(q)]
[ahr-fek]
"Whale" in Kalaallisut.

(The [q] sounds somewhat like an English [k], though not exactly.)

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
A uvular stop, you say?
That's okay! I got this.

Q'ellu
"Yellow."
Cusco Quechua. ;}

Loyal Wolf

13,100 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Partygoer 500
Unicycle. :3

Shameless Sweetheart

leiutama

"to invent" in Estonian

Oh man...Latin...D: It's pronounced almost like it would be in Latin (LEIVTAMA) as long as the "EI" is pronounced as a combined vowel/dipthong and all other vowels are pronounced in the "long" form.
mappersaqagaq
[mapːeʁsaqaɣa(q)]
[mah-per-sahk-ahg-ahk]
"book" in Kalaallisut

(The [q] sounds somewhat like an English [k])

Wheezing Fatcat

acostar
[ah-kos-tar’]
"to lie down"
Spanish

Shameless Sweetheart

"Rauður"
"red" in Icelandic
(The "u" is a very rounded "uh", so it sounds more like the French "deux". The "ð" is like "th", and the "r" is trilled.) c:

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
Rauðkápumaðrinn.
"The red-cloaked man."
Old Norse. ;B

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash