Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I've got a question for Americans. Sorry if it is too political, or not the right forum, I just figure this is an easy way to flag you folks down.

Why is it that all your future predictions are so doom and gloom. Allow me to expand upon this...

Even entirely reasonable predictions (I'm not talking Alex Jones here, ya know?) always have this Armageddon element to them.

The main one that gets to me is the idea that America not being the #1 Political/Economic power in the world being met with "Well it might as well just be the end times!"

I mean, I just don't get it. Yeah, I grew up in Canada, likely one of the most mousy and insignificant of the developed countries, so I guess I don't really have a point of comparison, but come on, why is the idea of not being the uberpower so terrifying?

And beyond that, it's the sensationalist nature of it. It's this attitude of "Step 1 - China overtakes America's economy. Step 2 - America becomes Mega Ultra Poverty Land of death and gnashing of teeth. Main exports - Sadness."

I mean, I don't see how becoming one of several large powers, or even being knocked down to middle power status would cause the world to burn around you.

So basically - American opinions on this?

Benevolent Reveler

As an American I don't think any of that.
I would prefer America not be in every countries business but I have a friend who think of America as "The ultimate big brother" correcting things it doesn't like with other countries and helping out when it can and feels necessary.

America's economy is about to crash anyway but that is a prediction based on previous economic patterns. Reasonable why a bad economy would make people unhappy
Also 'Mericans like being on top and no longer being a world power makes some citizens feel as if they have been knocked down a peg so they get butt hurt about it.

Demonic Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
From a business political standpoint I think I could see how that would probably terrify a bunch of people. I imagine people in those fields have made a LOT of enemies over the years.

As for everyone else. I don't think not being number one in something would be as much of a big deal. I guess people would be disappointed but oh well.

Girl-Crazy Shoujo

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
The Daario Naharis
So I've got a question for Americans. Sorry if it is too political, or not the right forum, I just figure this is an easy way to flag you folks down.

Why is it that all your future predictions are so doom and gloom. Allow me to expand upon this...

Even entirely reasonable predictions (I'm not talking Alex Jones here, ya know?) always have this Armageddon element to them.

The main one that gets to me is the idea that America not being the #1 Political/Economic power in the world being met with "Well it might as well just be the end times!"

I mean, I just don't get it. Yeah, I grew up in Canada, likely one of the most mousy and insignificant of the developed countries, so I guess I don't really have a point of comparison, but come on, why is the idea of not being the uberpower so terrifying?

And beyond that, it's the sensationalist nature of it. It's this attitude of "Step 1 - China overtakes America's economy. Step 2 - America becomes Mega Ultra Poverty Land of death and gnashing of teeth. Main exports - Sadness."

I mean, I don't see how becoming one of several large powers, or even being knocked down to middle power status would cause the world to burn around you.

Well, here's my opinion.

Every country tends to be raised on its own history, from a sort of whitewashed, yay-for-us perspective. A good example would be that children learn the basics of events surrounding the Revolutionary War from a strict 'King George was a tyrant' perspective. While I believe there is evidence suggesting he wasn't entirely mentally stable, it's years, middle school or high school, until the British Parliament's motivation is explained, and the like.

Moving on, the 'Story of America', as written in American textbooks can be seen sort of like the story of a manga protagonist. America, after winning a tough revolution against the toughest nation in the world (how France's help was pretty much essential to our success isn't mentioned for a number of grades), it starts out as a nobody of a country. We then slowly become the Superpower we are today, defeat the forces of King Monarchy, Fuher Facism, Comrade Communism, and now we're fighting the current arc villain, the Sultan of Sectarian Extremism. American history is generally presented with America as the undisputed hero of the world stage, although we acknowledge our past evils as well (Slavery, Jim Crow, Japanese Internment, ect.).

It's a matter of strong national pride, I suppose, for one thing. America has probably, from measurable standards such as Middle Class Standard of Living, Military Might, and the like has good claim to the title 'the greatest nation it the world'. It's the patriot version of the sort of pride the best student in the classroom, or the captain of the High School football team would feel.

Short of a bunch other notable nations deciding we need to be knocked down a few pegs, we could pretty much defeat anyone. Maybe the alarmist views are the most evident, but power = security and influence. Influence is very important on the national stage.

At least that's my take on it.

Girl-Crazy Shoujo

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Yeah, actually, I just came up with the more likely explanation. It's not the models out there, it's which models you're finding. To make it simple, its a matter of journalism and selling papers/getting viewers/ whatever.

Which article are most people probably going to read:

Is American Power on the Decline?
International Relations Professors Say Either Way, There Will Be Little Impact on Your Life

or

American Power on the Decline?
International Relations Professors Discuss the Possible Dire Consequences

Alright, which one is going to sell better? Which one is going to be published? Even if it's foreign articles that don't have an American audience, the possibility for a dramatic shift in global influence is going to sell far better than a relieving assurance that everything will be okay.

Sweet Hellhound

The Daario Naharis

Essentially: sensationalism perpetuated by crotchety old white men who want to die covered in money. You're hearing the personalities/political members having their midlife crises and thinking their salary is more important than the issues at hand. We have to listen to this stuff day in and day out. gonk We've grown up in a country where our own history is tweaked and sugar-coated to make us feel better about ripping a pre-owned country from it's original inhabitants' hands, so there's a huge sense of entitlement to everything "patriotic." Also, when you startle a person by screaming at them that their beloved homeland is about to dissolve like leftover rice krispies, they'll do whatever you tell them to in the name of ~preserving the glory of our nation. Namely: forking over your cash.

Opinion? It's stupid and many ignore it. Or many buy into it thinking it's a huge issue, but these are often the upper class white collars who honestly think the lower class are just lazy slobs who want free gov't money bc they don't have the drive to get a career outside of minimum wage. /eyeroll
Please don't watch our propaganda ridden news channels. I don't know a single person irl [consider though that my profession is in science] that is that concerned about us not being a world power. Honestly, we have better things to think about. Like finding the best microbrewery... mrgreen

Fashionable Autobiographer

3,950 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
As an American i normally dont put in my opinion because when elections come around and both canidates suck i do not vote at all. rofl
I think it's generally tied to American exceptionalism, the idea that the country is unique from every other country by its basic characteristics. It's been stepped up by some to create an image where the US is a shining beacon of guidance and if it crumbles, the world be damned. Realistically, most people realise that short of some major catastrophe such as an utter economic collapse, unprecedented natural disaster, or large scale global warfare, society will continue on, even in the US.

Risky Sex Symbol

All i know is some people do not think the United states will be the top super power anymore. Myself i could not care. If it happens it happens if it do not then it does not. The world changes and change scares humanity and to me i feel that the world will always be changing and that things cant be set in stone forever.

If that is what your talking about that is how i feel if not then sorry i must have misread this. Just kind of sleepy at the moment.

Risky Sex Symbol

Alcmene32
As an American i normally dont put in my opinion because when elections come around and both canidates suck i do not vote at all. rofl
Same o.o

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces