Welcome to Gaia! ::

shakespearerules
Sweet Blood Kyria
Poison the Dreamer
User ImagePoison says...
=o Kyria, care to share stories? I'd love a rant, discrimination gets me all riled up. XD
*shudders* Well I live in a small town where no one is muslim. Most are episcapalian. The town is called Auburn. Not telling what state sweatdrop But I have been searching for a job for ages and not found one anywhere. They all look at me funny when I come in and ask for work like 'oh no its the muslim girl. You're ALLOWED to work?" someone actually asked me that! 'your father allows you to work?' I had to just smile and say 'Yes. I am allowed to work my father has no problem with it." I wanted to say 'even if my father were muslim he wouldn't mind' but then that would confirm that a muslim father might not want his daughter to work which is not aways the case! Mothers have pulled their children aside and chided them for asking why I was wearing the scarf like that. Like I would be insulted and scream at a child for what comes natural to them! Childlike curiousity!
That's terrible that people would say things like that to you... gonk The best you can do is be totally honest with the little kids...their mothers apparently aren't going to teach them about other people's beliefs, and they're not going to let them ask questions for fear of sounding rude (how would we ever learn anything if we didn't ask questions, though?). All I could advise is have simple, clear answers for them; compare it to something familiar (like someone who wears a cross necklace). It might help soothe the mothers, as well. Knowledge is power...we need a lot more of it in the world.

EDIT: Also, GO SCOTS! 3nodding
haha thanks! XD

Barton Fatcat

3,950 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Wall Street 200
wow!! the ten points are so cool!! 3nodding
hey,i'm a muslim too.. biggrin
10 good points. I've got a few Muslims in my distant family but remain respectfully atheist.
Really, your 10 points are cool. Most Malays in my country who are born as Muslim do not really follow the religion properly and there are some that change their religion!
Btw, I'm Muslim too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces