Welcome to Gaia! ::

Have you attended an Annual Ball in the past?

Yes 0.45161290322581 45.2% [ 14 ]
No, but I want to 0.48387096774194 48.4% [ 15 ]
No, but I don't care to 0.064516129032258 6.5% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 31 ]
1 2 3 >

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Elocutionist 200
User Image

Welcome to our recruiting thread for the 10th Annual Ball! If you have attended an Annual Ball in the past, skip on down to look at the application! If you aren't familiar with the balls, read all of the great information put together for you by our ball workers! You don't have have to have participated in a past ball to join us, but I do ask that you at least familiarize yourself with the information in the FAQ before committing. The 10th Annual Ball will start Friday, August 10th and end at noon on Monday, August 13th. If you are worried about joining because of being in school/Monday morning or Friday afternoon, don't be. We can adjust your part to fit your schedule. Now that the introduction is out of the way, I hope you'll join us!

Annual Ball FAQs
Q) What is the Annual Ball?
The Annual Ball is the first and one of the largest user run events on Gaia Online. This tradition dates back to March 2003 when a user by the name of Misao decided to host a Ball for his fellow Gaians. The 1st Annual Ball was the first user run event on Gaia and received a great deal of support from the site administration. Since its conception, the Annual Ball has grown into a much larger celebration with more diversified themes each and every year. The Annual Ball has experienced many changes throughout the years, but the one thing that remains the same is the great friendly atmosphere that Gaians have come to love. The Annual Ball is considered a place where Gaians can come together to meet up with old friends and make new ones. This commemoration is deeply rooted in role play elements, but for many the Annual Ball is considered a wonderful excuse to hang out and share fond Gaia memories.

Q) How does it work?
This is a 4 day roleplaying event. There is usually a main host that oversees and coordinates the entire ball and then there are several rooms that fit under the main theme of the entire ball. Each of these rooms have their own co-hosts that run their respective rooms with their own mini themes. All main rooms will have their own thread in the ball's forum, but users are free to make their own threads in the forum, as well. These will not be official, though; the ball's official rooms will be stickied for convenience. Guests are encouraged to hang out in these rooms, but will not be limited to them.

Q) Is this an official event?
This isn't an official event from Gaia as it is user-run. We are merely supported by the admins (ie. giving us the forums).

Also please keep in mind! This is not the anniversary ball or prom, those are Gaia run events, and we are in no way affiliated with them.

Q) Will I get a free item?
That is a tricky question to answer since the first two years yielded items, yet the last few years didn't.

BUT it is safe to say that NO you will most likely not be getting items. The choice to give out items for this ball is purely up to the administration and we have no say in that (as far as anyone knows).

The Ball has plenty of games with a ton of neat prizes though, so don't worry you will still have a chance at some prizes.

Q) What have previous balls been like?
The Annual Gaian Ball is an event made by and for the users of Gaia Online. It's about hanging out and having fun, RPing a bit and getting to know the other users in this huge community we call Gaia.

In 2003, Misao made the first ever Annual Ball. The admins were so impressed with what she'd done that they released the red rose corsage and black bow tie for her ball. Note that these were the first non-store items on Gaia ever!

In 2004, Misao refused to make the next annual ball convinced that the greed on Gaia was far too much to yield it. In light of that challenge, Setzer appeared. He made a topic in QnF calling for people to help out and make the 2nd Annual Ball. This year, instead of one host there were many each with their own distinct rooms. It gained so much popularity amongst the users that Setzer decided to ask for our own forum to party in. As some of you know, the answer was yes. This was the first time Gaia had ever opened a Forum up for a user run event. Really this ball is extraordinary. Not only that, but again the admins seemed to be impressed and decided to release the G-pins (much to everyone's surprise since we (the hosts) didn't think there would be ANY items involved.

In 2005, it was that time again. Setzer passed the torch onto Razumi Yazura to host the 3rd Annual Ball since Setz thought that it would be best to change the main hosts every year (a very wise decision). That year we developed a theme which was planetary. All the rooms were based off of planets, but they each had their own underlying themes. Again the ball gained popularity and of course we asked for a forum. But this time we were getting the mansion! This of course was the first and last time the mansion was going to be opened for a User event. No items this year, but it was still a HUGE success!

In 2006, the fourth annual ball was hosted in a guild since the admins didn't want to open up the mansion any more for the ball. Needless to say it was a quiet year that year, but it was the first ball that had a plot totally made by the users! Quiet but still a success and fun!

In 2007, Leyna hosted this year's ball and the moderators allowed the ball the have it's own forum for the 5th Annual Ball for the public to join in on the fun. The Ball's theme this year was Elements and it was quite exciting being able to make it public once more to a new generation of Gaians. It was a huge success and helped to open up the Ball to more people to help.

In 2008, with the Ball so successful as the year before everyone wanted to make this year's the biggest and best of them all. This year's host was chosen to be Freaksrus! Again for the 2nd time in a row the Ball was able to successfully gain a forum for the 6th Annual Ball. The ball was able to gain new ideas with the publicity of the last year and the ball's theme was chosen to be Time Periods after a quick change. Despite being a previous theme chosen for the 2ndd Annual Ball all that participated had a ton of fun especially with a fun twist on the plot and the Ball's first time have it drawn out Manga style!

In 2009 Dolly14 was the host, and she created a fantasy world, with a fairy tale themed 7th Annual Ball! The ball brought in a ton of new guests and featured some of the prettiest layouts! Each room embodied a different genre, from a magnificent castle to a wild underwater scene!

In 2010, hosting responsibilities were passed between Valiae, xTrueBlissx, and Psycho Sabs due to real life complications and generally busy lives! The 8th Annual Ball was greek mythology themed! It featured a highly interactive plot with evil chaos goddess Eris going into rooms and messing with guests and NPCs.

In 2011, We had seven rooms to embody each of the sins and their virtue counterparts. In the 9th Annual Ball we had an interactive plot for guests to participate in, and lots of extravagant prizes! We of course got our own forum for the event again. And the whole event was hosted by our lovely Princess Angelishia.

(Written by MissusDolly for the 7th Annual Ball, Updated by Princess Angelishia for the 9th Annual Ball, and updated again by Poyudi Hytori after the 9th and 10th Balls)

So, what exactly am I applying to do?
You are applying to be a co-host for the 10th Annual Ball. This means that you will be one of about five to eight people working as the official crew for a room in the ball. There will be seven rooms this year, and each of those rooms will roleplay about a different aspect of our overall theme. You will be creating a character with the help of the people in your room, and then roleplaying as that character. You will assist in helping to make the room plot (although they are pretty much set at this point. You will also be helping the people in your room in game creation/design and in various other roles such as art. If you are an artist, let the people in your room know right away. We always need all the help we can get with art! In any case, even if you think your room looks good, keep posting very regularly in your room's planning subforum. Forming a sense of community with the other staffers in your room is very important. I have a bit more information in the Co-Host FAQs in the planning guild; however, much of that information will not apply to you since that guide was aimed at people who joined the planning guild at the end of the 9th Annual Ball. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. You can PM me or post them, but I will probably respond to PMs fast. Now, if you're still interested...

APPLY HERE!

[color=darkblue][b]I WANT TO JOIN![/b][/color]
Username -
Have you ever attended an Annual Ball? -
If so, which one(s)? -
Can you commit to spending most of the weekend of August 10th-12th on the computer, roleplaying? -
Do you have any roleplaying experience? -
Are you willing to show up in the planning guild often and do what is required of you? -
If you decide to leave the ball, will you let the leaders of your room know promptly? -

OR...

Join the Planning Guild and fill out this form!

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Oh goody!
This came at just the right time!

Timid Gawker

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
Vyite

Now that WHAP is starting to give us more free time... I think you should come back to the co-host world (: Just saying

Noble Dabbler

Cronic Hiccups
Vyite

Now that WHAP is starting to give us more free time... I think you should come back to the co-host world (: Just saying

perhaps. (:
just saying.

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Oh goody!
This came at just the right time!

I'm glad! I've been meaning to do this for a couple months now, but I finally found the motivation to get it done. xd

@Vyite - We're glad to have you back! heart
Welcome to the procrastination nation Chibi. I'll give you the oath later...

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
I'm available if needed!

Shameless Lunatic

Postyposty! biggrin

Desirable Sex Symbol

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Freaksrus
I'm available if needed!

Of course you're needed! xd Are you in a room yet? I was thinking you already were.

Survivor

13,900 Points
  • Party Animal 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Party Machine 500
LAVENDER DIEDRICH ~! emotion_awesome

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
I'm surprised we're not getting more activity in here. I was advertising just a few hours for a guild for adults I own a few months ago, and I got a ton of response right away. confused

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
To all of you lurkers, JOIN US!!! (we have cookies) heart

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
I'm not technically in a room for anything. I offered Mrs' Chambers for plot fodder.

Familiar Prophet

5,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Hello! This ball is gonna freaking ROCK.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff