5. Frequently Asked Questions
    6. Link to Me!
    7. Link Out!
    === Not related to the GCW ===
    9. A Little Narcissism
    10. Get Free s**t Here
    11. Past Polls

User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Below is the news specific to the Gaia Thread:

May 2, '09: Added some domains to the list of free s**t you can get.
Jan. 22, '09: Updated post/thread banners, discussion, added poll. Should really work on site banners...
Jan. 18, '09: New thread created. :> Old thread is here. Please don't bump it. o.o

Elder

User Image

Welcome to the Gaia thread of the GCW - Gaia Comic Website.

This site hosts, all on it's own, every single Gaia comic ever created by the Admins of Gaia. This includes the Weekly comics, now known on Gaia as Mini Comics(GWC) and storyline comics(GSC). It also provides downloadable resources for editing your own comic mash-ups(CSA).

A Little History...
The GCW actually only started out as a small site named the GSC: Gaia Storyline Comic, and was hosted on homes.esnav in November 2005. When that host died, I moved it to ketira.net, which is owned by a very nice Gaian user named Ketira. 3nodding

Time went by, however, and I knew I wanted my own webspace. But I didn't know what else(aside from the GSC) I wanted to put on it. One thing was for sure, though - I wanted a better layout, and more content dealing with the comics.

Thusly, the GCW plan was created. The Weekly comics were released on Gaia, so I decided to host those. I also wanted a summary of the storyline comics, creating GPS(Gaia Plot Summaries).

I also planned on having a Gaia Guides Commune, Gaia Community/comic Edits, and possibly Fan art or fan comics.

After theGCW.com was released(roughly November 5, 2006) I became a close friend of TriskDaemon(where previously we were really only acquaintances) and have since made a partnership with him and Gaiacast's plotwiki.

Sometime in late 2006/early 2007, Gaiacast went down and Gaia Online's Newsroom came out. I gave up for a brief while-- Gaia now had its own archive. What use did Gaians have for mine?
After a rather huge hiatus, I did come back, however. I came back quietly, though.

I redesigned the site's layout, ditched the GPS, and made plans for CSA- a comic slate archive. Eventually everything was reuploaded and updated, and thegcw.com was back on its own host with all its subdomains in tact. This time, the GCW won't be moving any more. This time, we're proudly hosted by 1and1.com. This is cheap hosting (and domains) and suits the needs of the GCW beautifully. No more moving around for us. Now you know we'll always be here!

About the Site's Features....
The GCW is a landing page for three main sites:

The GSC, which is a site that lists all of Gaia's Storyline, in order according to year, in an easy-to-use webcomic-like format.
The GWC, which lists all of Gaia's Weekly Comics(now known as mini comics) in a similar fashion to the GSC, and
The CSA, which hosts everything you could possibly need to edit comics. Links to mash-up threads, gaia-released slates(comics without speech bubbles), artificially created comic slates(comics with speechbubbles, but no text in them), shapes and brushes for image editing programs, fonts, and guides & links to free image editing programs.
More may come in the future for this new addition to the GCW. =)

My aim for this site was simply to be a one-stop-shop for everything relating to Gaia's comics.
I might bring a version of the GPS(Gaia plot summaries) back, but when I first did this, it was too hard to keep up with... So I probably won't. sweatdrop

Pimp out thegcw.com to all your friends and use it as much as possible!
It was made to be used!

Elder

User Image

The Gaia Storyline Comic started out as it's own website in November, 2005. Now, though, it rests as a sub-site to the GCW, it's URL gsc.thegcw.com if you want to go directly to it, instead of through the main page. wink

The GSC had one ideal: Have all the storyline comics viewable in a webcomic-like format. At the time, Gaia did not have an archive of the Storyline comics, so if you missed the comic, you were on your own.

The only archive that existed was the Gaia Plot: What's going on? Sticky made by Calmer in the GCD. I got so fed up trying to navigate through all those links that I wanted to make my own thing. And I did. And all was good. =3

The GSC is currently in it's fourth layout, but the second layout on this new host. Trust me when I say you don't want to see what the old layouts looked like. They were utter crap.

The GSC was the first website created for the comics. It is still the only site solely dedicated to the comics. One other site exists that has the comics on them, but it is hidden amongst other features of that site.

Gaia now has an archive of the Storyline in its "Newsroom," but I found this difficult to navigate.
Besides, the GSC was made so you could look at the website off-gaia!

Previous Storyline archives(when they existed) only directly linked to Gaia's comics rather than hosted them themselves. ~.^

Elder

User Image

The Gaia Weekly Comic is a sub-site to the GCW, and can be directly viewed with the URL gwc.thegcw.com. It is one of only two reputable websites that displays the weekly comic off-gaia, but it is the only site that remains all-browser friendly.

The idea for this site was created shortly after Gaia Weekly comics were released. At the time, Gaia did not have an archive of the weekly comics. Before I could actually code and publish this website, Gaia instituted it's own archive, but it was the old "click this link to take you to that comic" layout, and not the webcomic-like form that I and I am sure others love for it's ease of use.

GWC was sort of an after-thought to the GSC, and it honestly probably would not have made the cut to being hosted on the GCW if it were not for the results of a poll I had in the old GCW thread. So yes, I actually read those things! xd

Please take note that, in Gaia's Newsroom, the weekly comics have since been renamed to "mini comics".

Elder

User Image

The CSA, or Comic Slate Archive, was something I had been planning for a long time but had trouble executing. I only know HTML and CSS. I'm surprised my site hasn't flopped as it is (Most sites of this type use PHP). xd

After trying about three different things to get this to work, I finally just handcoded it myself and while it may not be perfect yet, it certainly is beneficial.

The CSA is a page where you download things, but it also has links to comic mash-up threads.
The main things you can download from the CSA are these:
Resources
Fonts, shapes, and image manipulation programs.
Gaia-released Comic Slates
Comic pages without speechbubbles in them, and completely devoid of text, usually released on Gaia and picked up by me to list on the site, and finally,
Artificially created Comic Slates,
which are the normal comic pages taken and pre-edited by users so all the speechbubbles are devoid of text, in some cases, the text is erased completely and the picture reformed.
The best example of this would probably be from April fool's 2006:
Artificial Slate from the CSA
vs.
Original Page Release

Additionally, you can also download every MMVII episode from the Artificial slates section.

This is our newest site; it came out January 18, 2009 officially. Please use it, spread the link around to your friends, and suggest new features and give us feedback!

Elder

User Image

What about the stuff before Christmas 2004(storyline-wise)?
Gambino's Christmas Journal was the first semblance of a manga-style update. So it is the first page on the GSC. I do not count the Olympics, trial of Ian, or Halloween 2k4 narratives because they're not comics. They're narratives, and the GSC is for the manga updates only.

When do you update the comics?
For the weekly comics, it is usually the day of or the day after.
For Storyline updates, since they are longer, it is usually related to (a) If I actually know it exists(because sometimes they can be stealthy stare ) and/or (b) If the storyline has actually 'finished'. I don't dynamically update the GSC. I only add the entire arch after it has been completed, except in special circumstances, and (c) if I am not out of town. I do have a life and a job, and unfortunately since I am poor I am either with my family and/or working on holidays. So while the GSC will usually be updated a day or two after the entire arch is posted, sometimes it will take a week or more. But if it will, I usually warn people in the thread.
The CSA is updated whenever I get around to it. Honestly, I do not have a set schedule for updating this yet. It is sort of an experiment right now.

I encountered an error on your website! What do I do?!
If the error gives you an actual error page, follow it's instructions.
If it does not give you an actual error page, please post what happened in the thread, PM me, OR email me at help@thegcw.com Just do one of these, not all three. Make sure you include:
(a) where the error happened (what page, and what you were doing)
(b) what the error was (what exactly happened; a screenshot if necessary)
(c) What browser you are using.

Can I become an affiliate of your site?
At this point in time, no. I do not have a place to link to other websites from the GCW.
However, if you PM me, I will link to you from this thread.

Why don't you ask for donations?
Rofl, ok. This is something I've always kind of laughed at.
While I am questing for DJs(the ones I have are borrowed) donating gold/items to me isn't going to help me in the slightest.
- It doesn't pay for my hosting.
- It doesn't pay for my domain name
- It doesn't make me happier (Why would gold make you happy?)
- It doesn't really give me any motivation other than to say "Hey, you're cool!"

Now, if you want to paypal me donations, that's something alltogether different. PM me for my email. But I am not begging for donations in that form, either, since I am perfectly capable of hosting the site myself.

If you want to make me happy, or feel like I'm loved, or motivate me to keep up with the site more often, hang out in this thread! I always get warm and fuzzy feelings inside when someone comments about how they use this site or how they've missed an update and the site helped them. <3 (I also <3 avatar art. ninja )

Don't get me wrong, I will always accept a donation. But I am not openly asking for them (unless it's art. Especially your avatar and mine together. <33)

I have a question/complaint that isn't listed here?
Ask in the thread, PM me, or email me at help@thegcw.com. I am always here. :3 But be patient, I can take a day or two to respond, depending.

MY INBOX(es) ARE ALWAYS OPEN! You can talk to me about ANYTHING!
Please don't be intimidated by me. Even if you think someone has already said it, or you think it's stupid, tell me anyway! I would greatly appreciate it!

You skipped 8 in your TOC!
Yes, yes I did. That's because, technically, post 8 is a page divider. And I didn't feel like numbering the page divider on the TOC. xD

Elder

User Image

I would really appreciate it if you helped me advertise my site! You can use these banners, make your own, or just link people! All is very loved. <3

Since the website is just http://thegcw.com and it's subdomains(GSC, GWC, CSA), this only lists the image URLs. Please link to whichever website you want to, or the thread. 3nodding

LOL SORRY, apparently I need to make new banners because the old ones just really suck hardcore. This will be updated eventually. I swear!

Elder

User Image

Done with my thread? Fine! Be that way! D:
Visit these other cool places.

PM Me with banner/link if you want to do a link exchange. :3
It doesn't have to be in the GG&R forum.

Elder

=== The rest of this page is not directly related to the GCW===

Elder

User Image

User Image

Hello, my name is Q on Gaia. I'm 21, and like to ramble in ridiculously tl;dr posts in the GCD.

I'll put more here eventually, but for now I'll just cut to the basics.

I'm an artwhore. I have 200+ arts of my avatar. I have started doing a biweekly art update in my journal, if you're interested in how much art I get every two weeks, or what is new.
Generally, though, newest stuff first in my photobucket album: http://photobucket.com/qart

I joined Gaia to roleplay. I don't really roleplay anymore, but true to my tl;dr nature I made an Original character out of my Q avatar. This is a short link to a journal entry with way too much info about the character, Quatre Bornes Lee: http://q.khat.us

I started making a webpage with all that information but it currently remains unfinished. I got all the images and layout done, I just didn't put in the actual text/content, which is why it currently links to google in the iframe right now: http://khat.us/qbio is the unfinished site if you're interested.

I like to make Profiles. I used to be a Profile Discussion regular but I forum hop a lot so I'm not really any more. I usually change my profile once a month. It's usually based on a lot of Q art because I'm an artwhore like that.
http://profile.thegcw.com is the link to my profile archive.Yeah, it's pretty crappy, I should change the layout someday.

I used to be a regular in the Gaia Community Sniper Game Guild. I did several things for that guild, one of which was a story named "ConstantChaotic". That story has a wiki: http://khat.us
You can view the story updates themselves here, though: http://khat.us/doku.php?id=terms:constant_chaotic
I never finished the story but I did kind of like what I wrote.

I think that's it for now.

OH!
I am always, ALWAYS questing for free art.
But mostly art of your avatar and mine together!
I know it sounds weird, but I love it so far!
To view what I've received, click here.

Elder

User Image

I can't believe you scrolled down this far.
Okay, here's the free s**t:

Want a subdomain?
yourname.thegcw.com
yourname.khat.us
yourname.gcdpoints.net
yourname.gcdpoints.com

I'll give it to you for free. email help@thegcw.com with the website you want the domain to point to- (an example is http://q.khat.us links to a page in my journal). and the URL you want. (example: gaia.thegcw.com ) A subdomain is not hosting, it's just what you type in your browser.

Tell me if you want an HTTP redirect or a frame redirect.
HTTP redirect means you can type in the short url, but when you get to the real page, the real page's URL will show up in your browser's address bar.
Frame redirect is you type in the short url and when you get to the real page, you still only see the short url in your browser.

WANT AN EMAIL FORWARD?
yourname@thegcw.com
yourname@khat.us
yourname@gcdpoints.com
yourname@gcdpoints.net

I'll give it to you for free. Email help@thegcw.com with where you want your email forwarded, and what name you would like (example: cool@thegcw.com ). This is not an actual email account, it's a forward. Meaning, people will email yourname@thegcw.com, but you will receive it in your normal lame@lamefreehost.com inbox.

If you use gmail, I'll tell you how you can send mail from your new email forward, so people will see that they receive email from cool@thegcw.com instead of lame@lamehost.com

Please note that I have the right to deny names- Obviously I won't give you something like Q@thegcw.com or feedback@thegcw.com
This goes for subdomains, as well.
However, I am for the most part lenient.

ALSO NOTE:
the pages don't have to do with Gaia or anything. There are no strings attached to these. No, I cannot look at your email if I give you an email forward. I just give it a new name and point it somewhere. All of your information stays in tact.
You will not be mailed spam and there will be no extra ads or s**t on your webpages.

Elder

Elder

Elder

Elder

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items