Thread is finally complete. *goes to die now*

Blessed Visionary

10,325 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
NO DYING ALLOWED
Supposed to have thread open party.

I'm still surprised that it was that widely ranged in feminine too; I expected there to be more feminine items but I expected only a slight majority.
o.O

Inquisitive Bibliophile

EmperorZensekai
NO DYING ALLOWED

I'm still surprised that it was that widely ranged in feminine too; I expected there to be more feminine items but I expected only a slight majority.
o.O

It's because so many of the more recent REIs have such a strong feminine slant. A lot of the older ones are in the neutral or male categories but nearly all the more recent ones are female. =w=; Even things like Polar Tear and Stinger, or Antipathy--all of which people are fond of calling male REIs--are not. People think guys are exaggerating when they say female characters tend to take over the REI but it's not the case at all.

If an REI starts out female, even if a male character is introduced, he'll only get a few poses. But if the situation is reversed, the female tends to always get as many or more poses than the guy. @_@

Blessed Visionary

10,325 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
StrawberryZ0mbie
EmperorZensekai
NO DYING ALLOWED

o.O

It's because so many of the more recent REIs have such a strong feminine slant. A lot of the older ones are in the neutral or male categories but nearly all the more recent ones are female. =w=; Even things like Polar Tear and Stinger, or Antipathy--all of which people are fond of calling male REIs--are not. People think guys are exaggerating when they say female characters tend to take over the REI but it's not the case at all.

If an REI starts out female, even if a male character is introduced, he'll only get a few poses. But if the situation is reversed, the female tends to always get as many or more poses than the guy. @_@

XD I know when you started this you were leery on what the guys were saying. Man that is pretty imbalanced then lol.

Dangerous Shapeshifter

heart You worked so hard on this, I'm glad it's finally up and running.

I found it interesting to read, as I edited, because there were some REIs I would have pinned as being one gender, but examining through this lens made me see a few in a whole new light. I think what was the most disappointing was to see how many REIs started out with the intention of being male-centric (or, at least, neutral) but never lived up to it.

Like Bremen...which was just a horrid disappointment all round -.-

Spiritual Recalibrator

33,440 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Champion Cardholder 100
Your in depth investigation has paid off, Z0mbie! Go take a nap! biggrin

Perhaps one day someone will link this thread in an AtA to let the staff know that there's this great imbalance. This guide is very useful, especially to those who aren't considering that femme-based REIs are clearly overtaking a site with two genders.

Inquisitive Bibliophile

Cheeva Catkin
heart You worked so hard on this, I'm glad it's finally up and running.

I found it interesting to read, as I edited, because there were some REIs I would have pinned as being one gender, but examining through this lens made me see a few in a whole new light. I think what was the most disappointing was to see how many REIs started out with the intention of being male-centric (or, at least, neutral) but never lived up to it.

Like Bremen...which was just a horrid disappointment all round -.-

It was. D= The original tale has only one female character--but they completely reversed it for the REI.

There were also a lot I thought were more neutral that I ended up deciding were feminine in the end because all the major poses were girly. ;~;

Inquisitive Bibliophile

Catalyste
Your in depth investigation has paid off, Z0mbie! Go take a nap! biggrin

Perhaps one day someone will link this thread in an AtA to let the staff know that there's this great imbalance. This guide is very useful, especially to those who aren't considering that femme-based REIs are clearly overtaking a site with two genders.

Haha. That would be interesting. I'm not sure if the artists are actually aware the imbalance is this bad. I'm sure there are lots of REIs they probably consider balanced or neutral that are probably not coming across that way to users.

I was telling someone on skype that if you consider all the recolor sets as separate REIs, and count all the recolors, there are a total of like 28 feminine REIs instead of just 18. But there are still only 4 male ones because none of them have been recolored. gonk I actually started this whole thing in attempt to prove that guys were just being whiny because I also thought we have more masculine REIs than we do. But doing this thread made me change my stance.

One day, if I'm really bored, I should go in and count the number of masculine, neutral and feminine poses. XD That should be an interesting number to look at. *would have to be really, really bored to attempt it* LoL

Decayin[g]_Sou[l]'s Significant Otter

Demonic Hellhound

Great thread.

And I'm glad you acknowledge in the disclaimer that you thought we were being whiny but realized we weren't. lol It's pretty difficult for people to believe there's a problem when they don't have to actually try using the items there's a lack of and a thread like this with a simple rating system and comprehensive review is a good way to get people to understand.

Mind if I link it in my SF threads?

Inquisitive Bibliophile

The Body Farm
Great thread.

And I'm glad you acknowledge in the disclaimer that you thought we were being whiny but realized we weren't. lol It's pretty difficult for people to believe there's a problem when they don't have to actually try using the items there's a lack of and a thread like this with a simple rating system and comprehensive review is a good way to get people to understand.

Mind if I link it in my SF threads?

LoL. Well. I did realize there was an imbalance but back when I actually started looking into it, which was around September, I think....

I just thought there were more like 6-7 male REIs. And at the time, I saw a lot of people saying things like "We don't have any male REIs...." and things like that. Since it was right at halloween, and people were anticipating the release of the Halloween REI, there were also a lot of things being mentioned about Apprentice Charm and how it's this super-girly REI and I considered it to be more neutral. I really thought that people just weren't accounting for the male and neutral REIs. I kind of thought that...there would be more things in the neutral category? And that Femenine would comee in second, and masculine in third. And I thought there would be a much smaller gap between the masculine and feminine categories.

I found out that...I had forgotten about a LOT of the feminine REIs. <.<; LoL And if you look at the list, you'll notice that the majority of the things in the masculine, neutral or "both" categories are older REIs where the majority of the more recent releases are feminine. Most of the recolors are in the feminine category as well. So yeah. Just making the list was pretty eye opening for me. gonk I knew there were going to be more feminine REIs than masculine but I didn't expect the gap to be so huge.

Anyway, you can feel free to link it wherever you like! I don't mind. =3

fxxkin demon

Wow. I am in awe of the work you put into it to the list. It's a bit depressing but very informative. I mean, I knew the male avatar were getting the short end in terms of REIs but I didn't realize it was that bad.

Inquisitive Bibliophile

sometimesalways
Wow. I am in awe of the work you put into it to the list. It's a bit depressing but very informative. I mean, I knew the male avatar were getting the short end in terms of REIs but I didn't realize it was that bad.

Thank you! I didn't realize it was this bad before making this thread either. ^_^; I expected there to be a much smaller gap between the feminine REIs and, well, everything else. LoL

Inquisitive Bibliophile

Updated the front page with a post that follows current REIs and tracts them as they're still evolving. C=

Doc Arkham's Husband

Savage Punk

StrawberryZ0mbie
Updated the front page with a post that follows current REIs and tracts them as they're still evolving. C=

we need to get this thread noticed, and make it more popular.

Inquisitive Bibliophile

Twinky Dave
StrawberryZ0mbie

we need to get this thread noticed, and make it more popular.

Haha. Yeah. I haven't done much advertising for it outside putting it i my signature, really. I linked to it in one of my other threads too. I guess if I see appropriate places, I should link it so more people learn about it. =3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff