Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay. To protect against hackers, my best advice is to use a password with numbers and letters. such as haj147stm88. Hackers use something called "Crackers" to test passwords against a username or User ID. The Cracker uses a text file from notepad full of possible passwords, and tests it against a User ID or password to gain access to the account. However, most password lists out there have only words without letters. So, the more complicated the password is, the harder you will be to hack. Go look up Cheeze Whiz or G3 on google. You should find many pages with information on crackers. As far as scammers go, just be smart, and use your sense.

2,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Autobiographer 200
bump heart heart heart heart heart

5,600 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
You seemed to have missed one, or i did.
This is how i was hacked,
Sometimes a message from gaia will pop up saying you have been loading pages to fast,
and that you need to slow down.
I happen to get that one quite alot.
However one day a popup on my computer said the same thing, and asked for my password.
I knew that gaia sent the other messages to know i wasn't a bot.
So i assumed they sent that also so that they could tell if i was a bot.
I entered my info and a few seconds later my avatar was naked.
Found out before i managed to log out that they had stolen about 700k in items.
I also found out that many people in the chatterboxes biggest give away scam ever
got the exact same pop up.

Witty Elder

Omg, thank you so much for posting this. x.x I've now learned to be more aware.

The wierd thing is, I've gotten quite a few messages asking me to visit some of these sites. Stupid as I was, I'd actually click on them. >< Luckily, I havem't gotten hacked. I also remember one time when some kind of pop-up came up asking me to verify that I wasn't a bot, and to type in my username and password. Luckily, I had noticed some people's posts in the thread I was looking at talking about it happened to them on the thread, so, I closed it. x.x
Thumbs up for your thread. mrgreen

11,000 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Heckler 50
(wises to subscribe)

Sparkly Lunatic

9,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
Is it illegal when you know someones password?

Sparkly Lunatic

9,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
Lura Bell
Omg, thank you so much for posting this. x.x I've now learned to be more aware.

The wierd thing is, I've gotten quite a few messages asking me to visit some of these sites. Stupid as I was, I'd actually click on them. >< Luckily, I havem't gotten hacked. I also remember one time when some kind of pop-up came up asking me to verify that I wasn't a bot, and to type in my username and password. Luckily, I had noticed some people's posts in the thread I was looking at talking about it happened to them on the thread, so, I closed it. x.x

I'm a fan of your turtle smile
Oh my! I thought my thread had died! xD
But I can see it didn't, thank you so much for your information everyone, I'll be sure to update the posts. (I haven't been on in a while, so I don't know current happenings without you.)
And thank you for all the support!

Rindesayu_Ayame
Is it illegal when you know someones password?

It's illegal if you take it, I guess you could say.
But some people tend to leave their passwords on pieces of paper that lie around or in places where people could find them and friends sometimes tell each other their passwords out of trust.
In those cases, it's not illegal, it's the owner's fault/choice.
If you go looking for it on a piece of paper though, that's an invasion of privacy.
Also parents will sometimes keep keyloggers or parent programs on the family computers so the parent can see the child's password. As long as the child is under the age of 18, it's legal. If they are over the age of 18 then it can be an invasion of privacy, but sometimes the parents have a right to still use the parent locks/programs/keyloggers because it is the parents' computer after all. They have a right to see what their computer is being used for.

It really depends on how the password was acquired. Generally, though, it's against most sites' ToS to share your password or to take/know another person's password.

0 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
Hino Daruma
Try not to worry about it, there's a website where you can type in someone's username from Gaia and it will tell them the exact amount of gold that person has.

Do you have the web address? That sounds interesting.

Dapper Cat

7,550 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I have a question: I was hacked at the beginning of the month (assuming weak password) and I lost the reference number I got when I filed the report, do you know if I can do anything about that, i.e. recover the reference number?
Awesomolocity

Do you have the web address? That sounds interesting.

I'm sorry, I don't. I'd rather not give it out either if I did. A lot of users were creeped out when it was used on them, so I'd like not to spread it.

KAEtastic
I have a question: I was hacked at the beginning of the month (assuming weak password) and I lost the reference number I got when I filed the report, do you know if I can do anything about that, i.e. recover the reference number?

I would check your inbox, deleted box and maybe saved box just in case.
But you can post in the support forum or speak to a moderator about it to see if you can recover it.

I must say, this guide is awesome! I remember when I received the pop-up asking for my name and password. I had no idea what to think, so I just clicked it away and logged out. I'm so glad I did!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff