Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

Welcome to the Divination FAQ, a comprehensive guide on ordering from the many divination shops on gaia!

Please read through the posts at your leisure.
May you have a wonderful ordering experience!

You are currently in Post 1, which contains the introduction.
Post 2 : Rules
Post 3 : Things to know before you order
Post 4 : General Divination Q + A's
Post 5 : Payment Specific Q + A's
Post 6 : Tarot Specific Q + A's, Oracle Specific Q + A's
Post 7 : Rune Specific Q + A's, Palmistry Specific Q + A's
Post 8 : Pendulum Specific Q + A's, Tea Leaf Specific Q + A's, Crystal Ball Specific Q + A's, Q + A's on other forms of divination
Post 9 : How to choose a shop to order from
Post 10 : What to do after getting a reading
Post 11 : Ask your question
Post 12 : Reader Resources
Post 13 : Thanks to our Contributors
Posts 14 + 15 : Reserved for future use

intro • rules • before ordering • general q+a's • payment q+a's • tarot/oracle q+a's • rune/palmistry q+a's • pendulum/tea leaf/crystal ball/other q+a's • choosing a shop • after a reading • ask! • reader resources • thanks • reserved • reserved
User Image

Please do not post here asking for a reading. If you wish to have a reading done for you, please visit one of the numerous shops in the services forum.
Follow Gaia's T.O.S. at all times.
Be nice. No flaming, hateful speech, or anything of the like. Also, if you disagree with Divination, you may feel free to leave or to engage in meaningful spiritual discussion. Spiritual discussion is welcome; attempts to convert are not.
These are meant to be general guidelines for ordering from the divination shops on gaia. Please do not assume that all readers agree with everything said here, and please do not try to apply these general guidelines to ordering from readers in real life.

intro • rules • before ordering • general q+a's • payment q+a's • tarot/oracle q+a's • rune/palmistry q+a's • pendulum/tea leaf/crystal ball/other q+a's • choosing a shop • after a reading • ask! • reader resources • thanks • reserved • reserved

User Image

Firstly, divination is an art, not a science.
There are no guarantees to accuracy in readings of any kind. Fate and destiny are ever-changing. We, as humans, create our own destiny. Our lives and futures are fluid, changing constantly with each breath we take. Future readings project how things will be if they continue to stay the same way that they are now, but if the situation changes outside of what the reading shows, the outcome will change as well.

We do readings because it is our desire to help people. Some of us do readings because we believe we have a gift, some of us do it because we have the logical know-how, and some of us do it because we find this sort of thing interesting.

Make sure you want to know the answer to the question before you ask it.
An example is that many people want to know, 'for sure', if their relationship is going to last forever. Based on the average age of gaian clientele alone, the usual answer is 'no'. And many people cannot handle that. They rage against the reader, enraged that someone dare question the validity of their relationship, even though that's what they asked about. We're sorry if the answer isn't what you're looking for, but the answer we gave is the answer we drew from the cards regardless. You can't shoot the messenger.

Many people believe that divination is for suckers. They believe that the cards could be read for any situation and molded to prey on the minds of the gullible. While every person is entitled to their own opinion, I do not think that that's how they work-- as a reader or as a customer. I intentionally tell my customers not to include too much information (as proof that I'm not drawing my information from their order) and I do not do any research on them (visiting their profile, etc) until the reading has been sent and read by them. But still, I get responses from my customers that are filled with awe when I pinpoint an exact factor in their lives without knowing them. Unfortunately, there are many people in this world who do give fake readings and draw from the details others give them. But there are con artists in every profession. As a customer, I withhold specifics from the reader unless they specifically ask me a yes or no question on a certain thing-- this is an effective way of weeding out the good readers from the bad. I'm not here to try to convince you that Tarot (or Divination in general) is always 100% accurate. However, if you just look at some of the reviews and testimonials in various threads, you will see that divination can be an astoundingly accurate art form.

User Image

All of the answers below are generalizations. No two readers function in the exact same manner, so these answers are meant to fit the general reader population.

Q: I am a practicing Christian. Do you mind reading for me?
A: Of course not! Many people associate readings with Wiccan and Pagan faiths, but many of us don't identify with any organized faith. We are pleased to read for customers of any faith and walk of life!

Q: What are the differences between each divination system?
A: There are many different types of divination, but on top of that, there are no two readers who read the same exact way. Besides tarot cards, some other types of divining include: Oracle Cards, Pendulum Scrying, Crystal Ball Scrying, Smoke Scrying, Mirror Scrying, Water Scrying, Runes, Palmistry and so on. People can divine from literally anything (I saw a piece on a woman who told people's fortunes based on the shape of their butt cracks-- no lie-- and everyone said that she was eerily accurate). The type of reading that a reader does reflects their interests and personality, and are what works for them-- different types of divination resonate with different people. Every reading you will ever get will be different from the last, even if it has the same exact things to say.

Q: Are online readings the same as face-to-face readings?
A: Well, yes and no. If something is 'meant' to be conveyed, you'll get the same information regardless. However, many people prefer to give face to face readings because the customer can interact with the deck/runes/etc (thus making the reading more personal) and the customer can see the reading first hand and ask questions, thus clearing up any confusion. Some prefer the reading online, simply because it's generally more comprehensive (so as to avoid the possibility for confusion) and it's easier for the customer to meditate on the reading when they can read over it several times. Again, it's a matter of personal preference.

Q: Can anyone practice divination?
A: This is another yes-and-no sortof answer. The ultimate answer is: Yes. Anyone can pick up a deck of cards, lay them out, and look up the meaning of them. Whether the cards reflect an answer, of course, is indeterminate (The same goes for runes and other types of scrying and divination). Many of the people who feel 'drawn' to a specific form of divination have a 'psychic predisposition', meaning that, on some level, their 'abilities' can draw the proper cards and take the proper meaning from them. The more psychically able a person is, the more accurate their readings will be.

Q: Can anyone get a reading?
A: Of course! So long as you follow the rules and guidelines that readers have up in their shop and you have enough gold, anyone can get a reading!

Q: I got a reading recently and I want another one. However, my reader has turned down my request. Why is that?
A: Many readers are aware that people can become dependent on the answers-- so dependent, in fact, that they stop living their own lives, for fear of changing the results of the readings. If this is the case, your reader is just doing you a favor.

Q: Why can some readings take so long?
A: How long a reading takes depends on multiple factors including (but not limited to): How many times your reader performs the reading (some readers may do a single reading two or three times to compare results) ; How involved the reading is (for example, if you're asking about more than one thing or if you ask for specific details, it will take more time)) ; How much the reader types up (though generally speaking, for tarot or rune readngs, the number of cards or runes used is usually indicative of how much typing needs to be done) ; How detailed the reader is (This is something you can ask your reader beforehand. A tarot reader, for example, who types three sentences per card interpretation will take significantly less time than a reader who types a paragraph per card. Ask the word count of the average reading! ; and so on. It's important to understand that readings - of any sort - are always typed up by hand, tailored specifically for each client. Keep in mind how long art or writing commissions tend to take, and your reader with the same amount of respect and patience that you would treat an artist you've hired.

User Image

Q: Why should I pay the reader if they didn't answer my question?
A: Because we put the effort in. Most readings take between twenty minutes and an hour to set up and interpret-- don't even get me started on the typing. Typing a 21 card reading can take up to five hours of constant work.

Q: But what if I don't want to pay if the reading is way off?
A: Then don't order a reading. Let's look at it this way: Let's say you were in a car accident, and both parties think that the other was the one who caused it. You hire a lawyer who fights for your case, but you still lose. Guess what. 99% of the time, you have to pay your lawyer. Sure, there are those who say that you won't pay unless they win your case, but obviously, knowing this, they are NOT gonna take on a case that they don't think they can win. It's the same sort of situation. We're putting in the work to get you the most accurate reading we can muster but if it's not what you were looking for, sorry. You still have to pay.

Q: Why are some readings more expensive than others?
A: Most readers charge based on the complexity of the spread, how much time it takes, and how inclusive it is.

Q: Why do some readers charge more than others?
A: This is mostly based on what they think their readings are worth and, again, the amount of time that is spent on the readings. Ultimately it's up to the reader to price their own readings.

Q: My reading was amazingly spot-on. How much should I tip the reader?
A: Ultimately, you should tip however much you feel comfortable tipping. One should always tip a reading they thought was very accurate, and it is ultimately up to the customers own discretion to decide how much to tip. Tipping can be difficult to figure out, though, so below is a general standard for tipping. If your reader seems to have gone above and beyond, please feel free to tip more than this!

A general standard, though, may be as follows: If you paid less than 1000 gold for the reading, a good tip would be between 1000 and 5000 gold. That way, it's an actual reward. If the reader charged between 1k and 10k, between 1k and 5k is a good tip. If the reader charged between 10k and 50k, 5k-10k is a good tip, and if the reader charged over 50k, a quarter of the price of the reading is an ideal tip. c: Of course, this is simply a suggestion for ways to say thank you. You could also tip them in art or by bumping for them for free.

User Image

Q: How do Tarot Readings Work?
A: Well, that's a different question to answer, because there is no one general answer. Basically, there are (an average of) 78 cards to a deck. Readers shuffle their cards, then lay them out in a specific order. The position and direction of a card are mostly what is interpreted, but there is no one right meaning for a card. There are general guidelines, but sometimes, those guidelines are cast aside entirely, just based on what the reader sees.

Q: I just looked up one of the cards that my reader pulled, and they explained something completely different from what I looked up. Are they wrong?
A: No, they are not. Each card has a general meaning, but it means different things based on the position it's in, the cards that are around it, or even just the general vibe it gives off in that particular reading. (For example: The first card in many decks is "The Fool". I just pulled up a definition from this site, and the first two sentences are "This signifies the beginning of a new journey. It may be physical, spiritual or mental in nature". That's the basic principle the fool goes by. However, there are many times when I look at "The Fool" and see the innocent nature of the card highlighted. There are times when I see it as a positive journey, and there are times when I see it as a journey begun out of ignorance.) To recap: There is no one specific meaning for any card.

Q: Are tarot cards evil? (Or, "If I get a reading, will I be cursed?" )
A: No. No, no, a thousand times, no. There are many ways that divination has come to be considered 'taboo' and we're not really going to get into it here, but truly, no, tarot cards are not evil. You will not be cursed by getting a reading-- that's not how 'curses' work, and it's not how readings work. Readings come from a positive center of being, when curses come from a negative place. Readings are meant to help, where curses are meant to hurt.

Q: What's the difference between different decks of cards?
A: Again, it's reader's preference. Different cards have different personalities, and usually the cards reflect the reader's personality to some degree.

User Image

Q: What is considered an Oracle Deck?
A: Oracle is generally an umbrella term for anything that doesn't follow the structure of tarot cards. Oracle decks range from playing cards to animal guides, angels to faeries, there are countless different types and topics of decks.

Q: How do Oracle Readings Work?
A: It varies depending upon the deck, but generally speaking it works similarly to tarot cards, except oracle readings tend to be more specific and directed at specific questions, so less are needed to produce a suitable answer. Oracle decks specifically get to the heart of the matter, and can even be used to supplement other types of readings.

Q: What makes Oracle Decks different from each other?
A: It's sortof similar to the differences between Tarot Decks: they're mainly based on users preference. The meanings of the cards and cards provided in each deck are also different; where in Tarot there are 22 Trump cards each with set meanings, most oracle decks have a completely different set of cards, each with their own meanings.

Q: Are there any traditional Oracle Reading spreads?
A: Not really. Spreads largely depend on the deck used.

Q: How many cards are in an oracle deck?
A: Once again, it depends on the deck.

User Image

Q: How many runes are there?
A: There are 25 runes, 24 with symbols and a blank representing fate. Up until somewhat recently, though, there were only 24 runes, the blank only recently appearing in rune sets.

Q: What are the strange symbols on them?
A: The symbols are the actual runes, each has several meanings depending on how it lands or is pulled in a casting.

Q: What are they made of?
A: Runes are typically made of various types of stone, however they can be made of any quasi-spherical object, such as beans or plastic pebbles.

Q: How do runes work?
A: Runes work similarly to tarot cards, and give advice. They say how things will turn out if you follow what you've currently been doing, but they don't tell the future, they give ADVICE. They're a fair bit blunter than tarot cards too. They can be a bit finicky depending on who's casting them.

User Image

Q: What is palmistry?
A: Palmistry is is the art of characterization and foretelling the future through the study of the palm. Certain lines indicate certain traits of the person, where others suggest possible futures or areas of interest.

Q: How is it possible to have my palm read over the internet?
A: There are actually a two different ways you could go about this. One way is to roll your hand in non-permanent ink (like the ink they use to make thumb prints), stamp your hand on paper, then wait for it to dry and scan it. Another (generally more accessible) way is to get a fine-tipped marker and go over all the lines on your hand-- big, small, all of them-- and then take a picture of your hand. Talk to your palm reader about how they'd prefer for you to do it.

Q: What are the benefits of getting a palm reading?
A: Palm readings aren't solely a way of divining the future: they can also lend you some insight into your true nature.

Q: Does palmistry just apply to hands?
A: Well. The word 'palmistry' does. However, there are plenty of readers who read things other than hands. There are people who read faces, people who read toes, and even people who read butts!

Q: Where could I learn more about palmistry?
A: Palmistry is one of the more popular fortunetelling methods, so many bookstores have a large selection of books on palm reading. There are also many resources available online.

User Image

Q: What are pendulum readings?
A: A pendulum reading is a reading for yes/no/maybe questions involving a reader holding one end of the pendulum, and letting the other end of the pendulum hang down. The way the pendulum moves indicates whether the answer to the question asked is yes, no, or maybe. A pendulum is simply a small weighted object hanging from a string or wire. The object may or may not have significance to the reader. Most pendulums are different, and they come in a lot of shapes and materials.

Q: Do you always get the same answer when you ask the exact same question?
A: About 95% of the time experienced readers get the exact same answer for a question that is worded exactly the same way, as long as it is being asked at the same time. If it's a day, week, month, etc. it can change, because circumstances change.

Q: Can a pendulum answer more complex questions?
A:It can if the reader is really willing to work with it, and willing to make the charts to go with it. Many readers simply do not find it a useful method of scrying.

Q:How do you know which direction means yes, no, or maybe?
A: The first thing a reader does when they get a pendulum is ask it which direction means what answer. After that, it doesn't really change.

Q:Does the way I word things matter?
A: Yes! Pendulum readings strongly depend on the way you word your question.

User Image

Q: What are tea leaf readings?
A: Tea leaf readings are when a reader makes a cup of tea, drinks it, then reads the tea leaves at the bottom. The things that readers generally see are symbols, letters, or numbers, and they draw whatever they can from the position of the leaves. The reader may then choose to stir the leaves once or twice to gain as much from one cup as possible.

Q: What makes tea leaves so special?
A: Nothing, really, excepting for the fact that the leaves settle nicely at the bottom of the cup.

Q: Are tea leaves the only edible thing that that can be read?
A: Nope! If it exists, it can be read. Some people read their soups or their salads, some people read their ice cream or the cotton candy, some people will ready anything you put in front of them. It's entirely up to the reader.

User Image

Q: Do people actually read crystal balls?
A: Of course! The stereotype didn't come from nowhere, ya know. ;p

Q: How are crystal balls read?
A: Crystal balls require a highly intuitive reader capable of focusing and interpreting vague symbols. As with any type of scrying, the reader will see images within the shine of the crystal, presumably projected by the readers unconscious. Various types of crystals are purported to have different properties; Quartz, for example, is said to amplify psychic ability and focus it.

Q: What are crystal balls made of?
A: Crystal balls are made of various types crystal!

User Image

Q: What other types of divination are there?
A: There are diviners who will read anything. From bones to clouds, food to feet, anything is fair game to diviners. A few popular forms of divination include Roadomancy (the study of stars), Lithomancy (the study of stones), iiChing (based on the ancient Chinese practice of iiChing), geomancy (reading earth), and more. If a reader offers a type of reading that is not thoroughly described in this FAQ, ask them to explain it to you!

User Image

Gaia is an ever-expanding universe, full of new places to go and people to see every day. So how does one go about choosing the right divination shop for them? Hopefully this will help you sift through the true readers and the frauds.

Note: This guide mostly covers tarot/oracle shops, but can be applied to picking out the right divination shop of any nature.

Firstly, remember that divination is all about helping.
Most readers begin reading because they have the knack or the desire, but continue reading because it's a way to utilize their gifts or skills to help others. So take the time to chat with any reader you consider having read for you. If he or she takes the time to answer your questions and greet you warmly and cordially, they already meet one of the biggest qualifications for a true reader: the want to help. Beware of readers who give you curt answers and ask for you to place your order already. These readers may be poorly informed (and simply not able to answer your questions), or they may simply be in it for your gold. Customer service is a MUST, and if they won't give it to you, there are a bunch of other shops that will.

Next, look through their shop for a thorough explanation of exactly what it is they do.
All diviners should have, at the very least, a brief paragraph explaining what it is they do, and what you can expect from a reading of theirs. In the Services sticky, it says about Tarot/Divination, "Please note, these are for Entertainment purposes only. Do not recommend harmful advice or advice/solutions to a serious problem that may need professional help/guidance." Every thread should have a paraphrase of this warning. No matter how accurate the reader is, this expresses concern both for the customer and for their own benefit. A reader who doesn't list brief explanations of their practice is a big sign that they are not worth your time.

Don't obsess over <3's and </3's.
People will <3 and </3 as they see fit, with no rhyme or reason. Some people pay to have their threads <3'd, while other people just patrol the forums and </3 for no good reason. Many people do use the liking system properly, but it would seem, by all accounts, that many, many more use it improperly. However, if the thread dips into the negative and there are 20 votes, there may be cause for concern.

Check their thread for reviews.
If they've got a wall of good-reviews, odds are, they're pretty good. The more detailed the reviews are, the better. (For example "Your reading had me in tears" is a much bigger testament to the readers prowess than "Very accurate, thanks" would be). Next, compare the amount of reviews they have posted to the number of past customers they've had. Almost all readers list their past customers, and a good half of the customers give reviews. The more reviews, the better the reader. But if the reader has had, let's say, 40 past customers but only has five reviews available to read, it may very well mean that he or she only performed adequately for an eighth of the readings.

Watch out for their form/questions.
There are many things that a reader may use to identify you on a cosmic scale: your real name, your age or date of birth, and your sun sign are just a few things that are helpful for a reader to know. However, if the reader requires for you to include a very specific question in order to have a reading done, that is the number one sign that you should turn around and leave. Unfortunately, quite a few readers on gaia seem to be cold readers. The easiest way to tell whether a reader is a cold reader or not is by the details that they do or do not need in order to get an accurate reading for you.
For example, in the shop of an accurate and efficient reader, you may be asked for a question or a topic of your query. If you say something like 'Family issues' as your topic, that should be enough for a good reader to draw specifics from. A cold reader will generally offer very vague descriptions (ie: you don't get along with your parents sometimes) and vague conclusions (ie: the path will be difficult but everything will work out). A true reader will pick out the specifics of your situation and explain how you could best handle it. A true reader will ask you not to offer up too much information so that they don't taint the reading.

When you get your reading's write-up, each card should be listed and have at least three sentences describing it and it's position.
There are many readers on this site that will not list the cards that they pulled. This is borderline fraudulent, because there is no proof that they pull a new set of cards per customer. If they do not list the cards they pulled, ask for them or demand your money back, because without the listing of those cards (even if you do not know what they mean), there is no proof that this reading is exclusively your own. Each card and it's position should have, at the very least, between three and five sentences to describe it's meaning. There is the occasional card that may be a sentence or two long (either extremely straightforward or fairly obscure), but there should be no more than one of those per every five cards drawn. More often than not, descriptions should be between three and eight sentences long. If you receive a reading of more than one card, whose total is no longer than five full sentences, demand your money back, because you have just been ripped off.

User Image

Read (or listen to) your reading several times over the next day or two.
Think about it. Reflect on it. There are many readings that aren't spelled out blatantly: it's up to the customer to decipher how the reading they received applies to their life. Think on it. Make sure that you are open and receptive to hearing the truth, no matter how happy or sad a truth it may be.

Let the reader know what you think!
Regardless of how you felt about the reading, it's important to let the reader know how he or she did. Readers generally like to hear specific details of how the reading applied if it applied. However, if it didn't apply, don't be afraid to tell them so. If your review is good, you can PM it to them or you can post it in the thread. However, if your review isn't so good, you should probably stick to PM so you two discuss it at great length.

<3 or </3 accordingly.
This is how other customers can most easily see the accuracy of the reader. Naturally there are trolls who just make this aspect of life miserable for shop owners, but it's generally a pretty good gauge.

Regardless of what you thought of the reading, thank the reader for their time!
No matter how the reading turned out, the reader sacrificed their time and effort to do it. Say thank you!

User Image

Have a burning question that wasn't answered in the thread? Post this form and ask away!

[quote="The Diviners Companion"][/quote]
[color=#3b1008]❀•❀•❀ Diviners Companion, I have a question![/color]

[align=center][color=#bc3429]*TYPE QUESTION HERE*
[/color][/align]

User Image

Have a FAQ that we missed? Post this form! If we use it, we'll credit you for contributing to the thread!

[quote="The Diviners Companion"][/quote]
[b][color=#3b1008]❀•❀•❀ Hey Companion, you missed something![/color][/b]

[b]Q:[/b] [color=#bc3429]ENTER QUESTION HERE[/color]
[b]A:[b] [color=#bc3429]ENTER ANSWER HERE[/color]

Link back to us!

Please feel free to post a link to this FAQ in your shop in whatever manner you like. All we ask is that you let us know you're linking back here. Below are some banners and buttons free for use. Feel free to add your own graphics to our little collection!

User Image
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/test-forum/divination-faq-read-before-ordering-from-a-divination-shop/t.77337073/]][img]http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/w0nd3r_k/web things xD/button.png[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/test-forum/divination-faq-read-before-ordering-from-a-divination-shop/t.77337073/][img]http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/w0nd3r_k/web things xD/21 Cards Banners/faq.png[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/test-forum/divination-faq-read-before-ordering-from-a-divination-shop/t.77337073/][img]http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/w0nd3r_k/web things xD/thedivinationfaq.png[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/test-forum/divination-faq-read-before-ordering-from-a-divination-shop/t.77337073/][img]http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/w0nd3r_k/web things xD/button1.png[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/test-forum/divination-faq-read-before-ordering-from-a-divination-shop/t.77337073/][img]http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/w0nd3r_k/web things xD/thedivinationfaqbutton2.png[/img][/url]

Coming Soon!

A Guide for Readers
Divination Shop Directory

Stay posted to see when these things come out!

User Image

All information and graphics in this thread are possible thanks to the following people.

w0nd3r_k Akijika Dejavid SugarSpaz Beautifully Meaningful Arcana Tarot • Hyperactive Nerd

User Image
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff