Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dude, I thank you for this. If it weren't for this I wouldn't be able to RP the way I do now. I mean I'm still sticking to the stereotypes, but I mean I can now make somewhat original characters because of you. You actually know what you're talking about. So thanks again dude.

Distinct Phantom

9,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
viral C
Now here will be my first anger provoking statement in this guide, Eastern writing has really, REALLY crappy plot lines. Now, these facts are mostly stereotypes and stereotypes exist because 85% of the time they’re correct. But before some stupid Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy 7 fanboy/girl starts itching to post how much they love the storyline and start claiming it’s the best thing that’s happened since the walking of Christ I’m going to tell you now that 1) no it isn’t and 2) just because they did have good writing doesn’t make all eastern writing good. Because if you look at most animes, or at least nowadays, and anime based games and stuff like that the actual plotlines aren’t very good at all, they’re cliché, they’re predictable, and mostly tedious. But the thing they excel at is the character depth and relationships as opposed to the western counterparts.

THANK YOU!!!!! I belive everybody needs to hear this sometime in they're life
Now i'm a super-fan guy of kingdom hearts and final fantasy both i love all the games i've played out of those series but i would agree with you far and away that that is 0 TRUE

I applaud you alot for saying that... Everything in there is complete and epic WIN FTW
even though i don't rp i still like this thread just because i've seen an anime before, it was pretty hard on stereotype, and it was adored by everyone...

Personally, the year after that was one of the worst of my life! ` of it because of that anime!

I really appreciate this thread <3

Distinct Phantom

9,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
heh... sorry about my rant there XD

Gaian

5,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Loved it, this guide should be very helpful in my own character development. To be honest my characters are almost always the stereotypes you expressed in this guide and I hadn't noticed it before. You're right in that everyone wants to play the hero, sadly the reality is that not everyone gets to be a hero. I don't know if I missed it but there is something you didn't touch on, and this may just be personal preference, but a post can be too LONG, at least in my opinion. If everyone posts an entire chapter, I lose interest in the post because they go into details that don't even need to be stated. But thats just my opinion.

Greedy Noob

5,850 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
this was funny, informative, interesting, and inspiring~ I kinda wanna rp with u

Loyal Fairy

7,550 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Party Animal 100
  • Cool Cat 500
Mind blown.
Thank you for taking your time to type this up.
Some people really need a b***h slap in the face.

I really enjoyed the inspiration part. It was very helpful and informative.
Thank you again!
Ahem, even though I'm rather new to roleplaying I also have to say that another character.... backstory.... thing that is often used is "my brother killed my parents/clan and now I want to get stronger so I can get my revenge on him"

and yes, I admit to using this many, MANY times but in this Naruto (yeah yeah, I'm a narutard, shut up) Guild I recently joined I made up this clan (Demon Clan) and my character's backstory was that when he was born his parents left the clan for unknown reasons, eventually dieing on a mission when he was very young. His older brother (another character I made for the same guild of course) is now raising him, attempting to make him stronger so that he can defend himself. The older brother keeps this a secret from my main character, the younger brother, but he suspects the reasone they left the Demon Clan in the first place has something to do with him (the younger brother).

The reason why I am saying all this is I was wondering.... is this a good backstory? Because it's the firs time I'm using a backstory besides the "my clan has been murdered by my brother/old friend so now I want to kill him" one lol

Devout Poster

8,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Mark Twain 100
SlimShady777
Ahem, even though I'm rather new to roleplaying I also have to say that another character.... backstory.... thing that is often used is "my brother killed my parents/clan and now I want to get stronger so I can get my revenge on him"

and yes, I admit to using this many, MANY times but in this Naruto (yeah yeah, I'm a narutard, shut up) Guild I recently joined I made up this clan (Demon Clan) and my character's backstory was that when he was born his parents left the clan for unknown reasons, eventually dieing on a mission when he was very young. His older brother (another character I made for the same guild of course) is now raising him, attempting to make him stronger so that he can defend himself. The older brother keeps this a secret from my main character, the younger brother, but he suspects the reasone they left the Demon Clan in the first place has something to do with him (the younger brother).

The reason why I am saying all this is I was wondering.... is this a good backstory? Because it's the firs time I'm using a backstory besides the "my clan has been murdered by my brother/old friend so now I want to kill him" one lol

"Good", is subjective.
But my opinion is no.

Make this older brother the one that killed the parents, and make the brother and character's relationship a bit more strained, and it's practically the exact same as Sasuke's story from Naruto.

On another note, "Demon Clan"? I have to direct you to the section of Viral's guide dealing with names. To be blunt, that name is fantastically unimaginative and alone would discredit you in the eyes of many. It is as far as I'm concerned, what should be considered a disgrace to what would seem to be an RPer who honestly cares about his writing.

On even another note, if you're really looking to improve your writing, a Naruto RP guild is not the way to go. Probably the best way to learn is through example, RPing with good Rpers. Even you have to admit, stereotypically a guild like that isn't likely to have many people who're very good.
Elektro7
SlimShady777

"Good", is subjective.
But my opinion is no.

Make this older brother the one that killed the parents, and make the brother and character's relationship a bit more strained, and it's practically the exact same as Sasuke's story from Naruto.

On another note, "Demon Clan"? I have to direct you to the section of Viral's guide dealing with names. To be blunt, that name is fantastically unimaginative and alone would discredit you in the eyes of many. It is as far as I'm concerned, what should be considered a disgrace to what would seem to be an RPer who honestly cares about his writing.

On even another note, if you're really looking to improve your writing, a Naruto RP guild is not the way to go. Probably the best way to learn is through example, RPing with good Rpers. Even you have to admit, stereotypically a guild like that isn't likely to have many people who're very good.

truthfully..... I'm going to have to admit you're absolutely right, but the thing is the only good roleplayers I see are people who write, like, 4 paragraphs EVERY SINGLE POST.... and I can't do that, I type maybe 4 or 5 sentences (if my character is in a conversation than 2 or 3) so the 4 paragraphs a post thing would not be possible for me. And to tell you the truth I'm not a very imaginative person, I'm only 16 and the only thing I'm good at when it comes to writing are essays from school (which I always get 100% on, if not then close to 100%). Plus! I've only been roleplaying for a month or two, maybe three, either way I'm a complete noob to this and it's frustrating always being ignored or whatever cause my posts aren't long enough.

Either way, thank you for being honest with me, can you please tell me how, for future reference, I can I make it better

And for the record, Sasuke is a dickhead biggrin

Devout Poster

8,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Mark Twain 100
SlimShady777
Truthfully..... I'm going to have to admit you're absolutely right, but the thing is the only good roleplayers I see are people who write, like, 4 paragraphs EVERY SINGLE POST.... and I can't do that, I type maybe 4 or 5 sentences (if my character is in a conversation than 2 or 3) so the 4 paragraphs a post thing would not be possible for me. And to tell you the truth I'm not a very imaginative person, I'm only 16 and the only thing I'm good at when it comes to writing are essays from school (which I always get 100% on, if not then close to 100%). Plus! I've only been roleplaying for a month or two, maybe three, either way I'm a complete noob to this and it's frustrating always being ignored or whatever cause my posts aren't long enough.

Either way, thank you for being honest with me, can you please tell me how, for future reference, I can I make it better

Length really has nothing to do with the quality of the post. Of course, if you can write longer segments that's a good thing, but length does not equal quality.
.... That's what she said.

There are far too many people who are deluded otherwise. I've run RPs where people have written a paragraph that I've prayed that god would kill me before I got to reading the next four, and when I call them out on their terrible writing, they've been all, "WUUUT!? BUH THATZ A LAWT oF RIGHTINGZ!".
On the other hand, I've RPed with people who never type more than a few sentences, but every word relentlessly thrusts you into the scene they're setting and enforces without pause a literary orgasm.

If you're writing all you feel comfortable with, there's really nothing more that anyone can ask.

On the topic of quality though, there are really just a few things most people have issues with:
1. Grammar
2. Their/there/they're, Then/than, it's/its, etc.
3. Spelling (A spelling mistake here or there is fine, but I mean people who really just don't know how to spell words)

If you think you have those ones down, then I guess I'd need to see a sample of your RPing to help much more.
Elektro7
SlimShady777
Truthfully..... I'm going to have to admit you're absolutely right, but the thing is the only good roleplayers I see are people who write, like, 4 paragraphs EVERY SINGLE POST.... and I can't do that, I type maybe 4 or 5 sentences (if my character is in a conversation than 2 or 3) so the 4 paragraphs a post thing would not be possible for me. And to tell you the truth I'm not a very imaginative person, I'm only 16 and the only thing I'm good at when it comes to writing are essays from school (which I always get 100% on, if not then close to 100%). Plus! I've only been roleplaying for a month or two, maybe three, either way I'm a complete noob to this and it's frustrating always being ignored or whatever cause my posts aren't long enough.

Length really has nothing to do with the quality of the post. Of course, if you can write longer segments that's a good thing, but length does not equal quality.
.... That's what she said.
There are far too many people who are deluded otherwise. I've run RPs where people have written a paragraph that I've prayed that god would kill me before I got to reading the next four, and when I call them out on their terrible writing, they've been all, "WUUUT!? BUH THATZ A LAWT oF RIGHTINGZ!".
On the other hand, I've RPed with people who never type more than a few sentences, but every word relentlessly thrusts you into the scene they're setting and enforces without pause a literary orgasm.
If you're writing all you feel comfortable with, there's really nothing more that anyone can ask.
On the topic of quality though, there are really just a few things most people have issues with:
1. Grammar
2. Their/there/they're, Then/than, it's/its, etc.
3. Spelling (A spelling mistake here or there is fine, but I mean people who really just don't know how to spell words)
If you think you have those ones down, then I guess I'd need to see a sample of your RPing to help much more.

thanks, ima go try to find a sample that, well, isn't suckish from the naruto guild I joined, mind you I'm only a teenager so I'm not all that good but I try *shrugs*

Devout Poster

8,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Mark Twain 100
SlimShady777
thanks, ima go try to find a sample that, well, isn't suckish from the naruto guild I joined, mind you I'm only a teenager so I'm not all that good but I try *shrugs*

I'm 16 too, in grade 12, skipped to second grade halfway through first grade because I already read at a university level. However, I'm in the lowest level L.A. class for my grade.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're giving it your all there's really nothing anyone but you can say about the quality if your writing, however sometimes we just can't seem to put our finger on what exactly we think our shortcomings are, and so we seek outside help.
Elektro7
SlimShady777

I'm 16 too, in grade 12, skipped to second grade halfway through first grade because I already read at a university level. However, I'm in the lowest level L.A. class for my grade.

As far as I'm concerned, the only way you can really accurately measure your writing ability is if you're giving it your all.

a university level? dude that's awesome I LOVE reading books, only fiction books for some reason though. Either way, here's a couple samples, basically my character is the same one I talked about before and the setting is a forest near the Leaf Village, and another guy's character just challenged my character to a fight.

Axel grins, he was not worried about fighting someone blind, he was sure that since the boy he was talking to was a chunin he could take care of himself "I would be more than happy to" he says, chuckling. HE hadn't fought anybody besides his brother in such a long time, and his brother always kicked his a** too, so this should be fun.

And this next sample is during the fight, right after the guy Axel was fighting throws a bunch of kunai at him.

Axel thinks for a moment as the weapons come flying towards him "what to do what to do...." he say calmly "oh, got it" he jumps to the side, letting one of the kunai get him in the arm. He grunts as he starts bleeding and pulls the kunai out of his harm. He makes a handsign "Kekkai Genkai: Mark of the Demon" he says "Demon Art: Eye of the Demon" and drops of blood start floating around the air around him. The drops of blood become larger and larger until there are dozens of them, all the size of a basketball, in the form of an eye. Then the transformation that happens to him when using his kekkai genkai begins, his eyes turn red and he grows demonic looking wings and a tail. All this time he is hidden behind a tree, where his actions cannot be seen.

Devout Poster

8,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Same biggrin

Well, I'd say your writing ability is well above average, maybe a bit, "stiff", in places though.

SlimShady777
he was sure that since the boy he was talking to was a chunin he could take care of himself

Grammatically fine, there really no issues at all. Try reading it out loud though, and it sounds a bit robotronic, doesn't really flow as opposed to something like this:

Quote:
since the boy was a Chunin, Axel was sure he could hold his own

Just cut out a few words, rearrange some others. I guess you could say, "Spice it up", make it more Human-sounding. Other places you also say things like, "was not", it may be best to shorten them all to, "wasn't". It's generally only best to keep things like that as two words when one of them is really emphasized, like a comparison, "The first block was blue, whereas the second was not". Making something sound all robotic just to add length is never worth it.

It may be a good idea to try phrasing things in more than one way too.
slimshady777
The drops of blood become larger and larger until there are dozens of them, all the size of a basketball, in the form of an eye.

Could be turned to something like:

Quote:
The blood drops divided and grew larger, swelling to basketball size and molding themselves to the likeness of an eye, dozens of them in orbit of Axel

And probably a dozen other things too. come up with a few, even just two, and pick the one you like best instead of just going with the first thing that comes to mind.

Realism may be something to consider too, I mean I doubt anyone would have time to say, "oh, got it" with Kunai flying at them. Even if they somehow did, I find it hard to believe they'd bother.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games