Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image
You'll swoop from incredible highs when you're just glad to be alive,
to those lows when you wish you were dead.

And just when you start thinking that you've accepted who you are,
that changes,
too.

Nice guide, V. smile Great emphasis on how weaknesses are severely underrated, but make characters interesting.

Because who you are is not permanent.

sakurauchi's Waifu

Divine Noob

I read thus guide all the way through, and I must say, you are do right. As I writer, I agree that there is so much wasted potential. So I write novels, short stories, and songs to show people that being a teen, (or 12, like me) DOSE NOT affect how good a writer you are. Honestly, people need to wake up, show some god damned maturity, and think before they act. I am a logical, analyzing person who gets pissed when people army literate, or make really stupid characters. I just hope someone out there learns a thing or two from people like us. I wish you luck in kicking the asses of illiterate, plain, boring, and mindless people. (I call those people the stupid zombies) Tell the world about the potential people tell them to throw away and disregard.

Azaurmyth's Wife

Batty Splicer

I disagree with your definitions of fantasy and sci-fi but still a cool guide.

Shameless Star

17,025 Points
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Confused by what this whole "Eastern/Western" thing is. O__o;;

The world is not divided into two civilizations. The western civilization focuses a lot on emotional development too... a good example is that whenever an asian horror movie is adapted by Americans, it suddenly experiences things like... a plotline! Which many asian films do not.

Think Jackie Chan films too, where everyone just fights and dances around for two hours.

What I'm trying to say is, nothing is divided as "east and west". There are genres--adventure, fantasy, slice of life, romance, etcetc

In a relationship with emiriee

Starrii
Confused by what this whole "Eastern/Western" thing is. O__o;;

The world is not divided into two civilizations. The western civilization focuses a lot on emotional development too... a good example is that whenever an asian horror movie is adapted by Americans, it suddenly experiences things like... a plotline! Which many asian films do not.

Think Jackie Chan films too, where everyone just fights and dances around for two hours.

What I'm trying to say is, nothing is divided as "east and west". There are genres--adventure, fantasy, slice of life, romance, etcetc

You have misinterpreted me, I am not saying that we are divided I am giving a basic layout as to how each group -typically- and what you will -more likely- see from each group. I'm not saying that each group stays within those boundaries because that would be false, but what they more likely lean towards is more accurate to say. Just because there are a few movies out there that defy the stereotype doesn't mean its completely false because the stereotype is a general outlook at how something works based on similarities of the group in question.

As for there not being an east and west? That is wrong because eastern cultures differ from our (assuming from the US) western culture, so with different cultures comes different ways of approaching and dealing with things like plots and story lines and thats where the stereotypes are made. Because -typically- eastern and western cultures operate in the fashions I wrote in the guide but you definitely will find a few gems out there that won't fit the stereotype.

I'm just giving an insight as to how each culture writes so people have some boundaries to work off of when reading my guide and have a bit of an understanding what they are dealing with when they read or see things.

Shameless Star

17,025 Points
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Viral C

Except what you wrote is false. I'm speaking from a first person experience--I'm Chinese Canadian, so I have experienced first hand both sides of the cultures. There is a good amount of both emotional character development on the western side, and pointless violent flicks on the asian side, alike. Although they do lean marginally to different sides as you say, humans operate in basically the same way. Especially since on the "western" side, people are more and more getting sick of random, gunbombcarchases. (note the critics of movies like Transformers and Fast & Furious, versus say... Slumdog Millionaire and Pixar films.).

I understand where you're coming from, and I think you've got a lot of things right. But as the world becomes more and more integrated with eachother, the "divide" is getting less and less obvious. With the growth of the internet especially, "west" and "east" can no longer be characterized as very obvious different, with a few "gems" that jump across the border--rather, as the human experience continually tries to find the golden standards in art for everyone, the prospects are becoming more diverse.

(btw, your whole argument dismisses the fact theres severe cultural differences between different cultures within the east-west. just in asia, its well known that Koreans do dramas, Japanese horror films and anime, Mainlanders do wuxia wink and that is a very, very big generalization.)

Starrii
Viral C

Except what you wrote is false. I'm speaking from a first person experience--I'm Chinese Canadian, so I have experienced first hand both sides of the cultures. There is a good amount of both emotional character development on the western side, and pointless violent flicks on the asian side, alike. Although they do lean marginally to different sides as you say, humans operate in basically the same way. Especially since on the "western" side, people are more and more getting sick of random, gunbombcarchases. (note the critics of movies like Transformers and Fast & Furious, versus say... Slumdog Millionaire and Pixar films.).

I understand where you're coming from, and I think you've got a lot of things right. But as the world becomes more and more integrated with eachother, the "divide" is getting less and less obvious. With the growth of the internet especially, "west" and "east" can no longer be characterized as very obvious different, with a few "gems" that jump across the border--rather, as the human experience continually tries to find the golden standards in art for everyone, the prospects are becoming more diverse.

(btw, your whole argument dismisses the fact theres severe cultural differences between different cultures within the east-west. just in asia, its well known that Koreans do dramas, Japanese horror films and anime, Mainlanders do wuxia wink and that is a very, very big generalization.)

How can I be false if I wrote is based on a stereotype? a stereotype is a group of things that is given a name based on similarities of the group so the fact i made apparent of the stereotype harbors truth, as said can be said the same for your logic. I am not saying you are wrong but i am saying that both things we have said harbor an amount of truth and I have made it clear that, that is what i imply. No group stays in the same boundaries forever or all the time and I am not implying that hey do because that would in fact be wrong. By using terms like 'typically' and 'most likely' I am saying that there is a good percentage of media that will fit in the category I listed, but not all.

and of course it isn't obvious, otherwise i wouldn't have wrote it, but in a broad spectrum of things my description would be mostly correct for each side. That, and I also said that i was mainly talking about western writing like in the US vs. writing in Japan because they are the prime writing examples you will find on Gaia. My guide is built around the things you will find on Gaia mainly but can also be applied, in a way, to real life interactions. Most of your examples are small percentages in the prime spectrum of media that is put out on a daily basis, doesn't defeat what I say though. Nor did I ever say that, that percentage doesn't exist, because they do and I implied that they do in fact exist. So your examples support both our arguments

and you speak 'divide' like I'm talking about a war when in reality I am just saying that there is a general culture difference and these are the things you will -typically- find if paying close attention. Its not something easily black and white but if you were to look into this you would find there is in fact a difference in how each group is operating.

The fact of the matter is, is neither one of us are wrong in this discussion because we both harbor truth in what we say. You may not like the way I worded what I said but like you said I did get most of that right. It might not always be like this, but right now there is a noticeable difference between the two. If anything is going on here, its you not understanding what I'm saying in my guide. You are correct, and so am I.

Friendly Gekko

9,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Partygoer 500
i wish i still knew some of the people from high school so i could shove this in their faces XD

Toxic Lover

12,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
That was the most biased piece of s**t I have ever seen. I couldn't make it all the way through. It Made everything but your opinion look like s**t. And is this even in the right forum? I swear. Gaia needs to have a RANT forum. It would make things so much easier.

lady mirror
That was the most biased piece of s**t I have ever seen. I couldn't make it all the way through. It Made everything but your opinion look like s**t. And is this even in the right forum? I swear. Gaia needs to have a RANT forum. It would make things so much easier.

I'm assuming you didn't read passed chapter 1

How can it be biased when I bashed both sides in the topic? If I was biased then I would have been praising one side over another when in fact I didn't but merely state what each one was prone to doing.

and if you did read passed chapter one and you're talking about the satirical catgirl profile then obviously you didn't catch the statement after that, that stated that vampires and catgirls were fine as long as they were well written. I merely just stated that the catgirl and the vampire character choices were the most if not extremely common.

For everything else I hardly see any bias or room for it and honestly I think many others don't see it either. I pretty much bashed a little bit of everything and if its anything I did bash more than others I clearly stated that it wasn't on that things merit alone but the fact it was common to the point of being stereotypical. That and I gave plenty of advice throughout the entire guide so I hardly see it as a 'rant' and if you were to read all of it maybe you would see it for the value of a guide instead of looking for reasons to hate it because it doesn't agree with everything you believe. That and if I was nice about it all it wouldn't be the "Jerks" guide now would it? The only thing I am biased against is bland characters and crappy story lines
Awesome!!! I agree even though I am guilty with the sterio typing characters sweatdrop

Desirable Streaker

14,600 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • 50 Wins 150
{{ }}

After seeing this I wanted to see what your character bio was--since you trashed on every archetype there was but claimed if they were well written then it was still acceptable.

I have a real hard time accepting your realism; I get why that one thing irritates you but the fact that you base your argument of "realism" of a bullet being blocked by a sword to be lessened by the fact you talked about robots and demons in just a few lines and seem complete fine by that.

Pheregames
{{ }}

After seeing this I wanted to see what your character bio was--since you trashed on every archetype there was but claimed if they were well written then it was still acceptable.

I have a real hard time accepting your realism; I get why that one thing irritates you but the fact that you base your argument of "realism" of a bullet being blocked by a sword to be lessened by the fact you talked about robots and demons in just a few lines and seem complete fine by that.

Like I said, there are two ways to go about things. You either get a stereotype made and put an interesting twist on it to make it interesting or you can take the path of making a character that defies them all. I personally do both every now and then. I say as long as it is well written it shouldn't really matter ultimately

As for the realism bit, I just didn't want to go on and on about it because there was no real advice to be taken in more than me addressing an issue and placing my personal belief on it, so I kept it short to get back to the material. But if you really want to know more about what I think about that kinda stuff you can PM me if you want

Romantic Raider

You are a genious and it actually helps O.O Thanks a million!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff