<3 </3

To Filter or not to Filter?

Filter! 0.54593175853018 54.6% [ 208 ]
Save the Junk! 0.45406824146982 45.4% [ 173 ]
Total Votes:[ 381 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Welcome...

...to my guide to Filtering in Gaia's Fishing game. I hope to build this thread up from what I know as a fisher to what people want to know, by bringing up questions that help others, and to simply help those who wish to learn how to Filter.

I'd like to first say though that this thread is solely for the discussion and to ask questions on the topic of Filtering. If you have any questions about Fishing in general, then head on over to Gaidin's Fishing Guide. If you have questions about Rare fish that does not in some way include Filtering, take a peek at Naki's Rare Report thread. And lastly, if you have a question about the Angelic rod or it's PLUS version, either Gaidin's Guide or Bria's Angelic Rod thread will have the answers for you. If you're a newer fisher and don't have the gold to get better performing rods for fishing, you can always stop by my Rods & Bait Charity and stick around to earn some free gear for fishing.

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD
That is what this thread was made for. If you have questions about filtering or fishing, post them here in the thread. If you have any thoughts that go against mine, feel free to say them! What this thread is for is to discuss what each of us Fishers view on this topic.

As this thread continues, if you feel that a new post on the first page should be added for another discussion related to Filtering, just get my attention and post it here!

Thread News

11/8/12 - Thread is created
11/8/13 - Thread is a year old yum_cupcake
5/4/16 - Thread is revived as Fishing has returned

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Introduction ◄
• Bass'ken
• Port of Gambino
• Durem Reclamation Facility
• Junk
• Feel Vs. Count

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

User Image

Video isn't loading on the post? Click here to view it on youtube.

Here is my video on how to Filter in Bass'ken lake. Things to note about Filtering in Bass'ken lake:

• In the video, I use an Angelic Rod, but Filtering is possible with the use of any rod (but it should be noted that Filtering can be easier using the Distance and Performance rods).
  • Bass'ken is hard to tell the difference, especially with Guppies and Goldfish on what is Fish and what is Junk.
  • If you have questions from viewing my video, feel free to ask them here.

How to Filter Bass'ken.

For those who do not watch the video, here is my written up guide to Filtering in Bass'ken.

• When it comes to telling if it's a Guppy or Goldfish over Junk, a difference to look for is the placement of where the it's moving. When you notice that your current catch on the line has a pull to the Left but does not go past the middle of area between the red lines and never pulls to the Right, then you know you have junk.
  • A factor to watch is the Speed. Junk likes to take it's time, sitting there before it will finally pull to the left or slowly go back to the middle. Fish have a higher speed rate at which they pull.

Questions that have been Answered

None thus far

• Introduction
• Bass'ken ◄
• Port of Gambino
• Junk
• Feel Vs. Count

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

User Image

Here is my video on how to Filter in Port of Gambino lake. Things to note about Filtering in Port of Gambino lake:

• In the video, I use an Angelic Rod, but Filtering is possible with the use of any rod.
  • Port of Gambino is most notably the easiest lake of the 3 to be filtered.

How to Filter Port of Gambino.

For those who do not watch the video, here is my written up guide to Filtering in Port of Gambino.

• When it comes to telling the difference of Fish and Junk in this lake, it is extremely noticeable. Junk is very similar here to Bass'ken, where it pulls to the Left but then becomes very idle when it hits the middle and does not go the Right completely.
  • Speed again plays a factor here. Green Seedkin and Balloonfish have a slower movement than the other Fish in Port of Gambino. They're not too much faster than Junk, but it is noticeable, especially when you watch for that pull to the Right.

None thus far

• Introduction
    • Bass'ken
    • Port of Gambino ◄
    • Junk
    • Feel Vs. Count

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

User Image

Here is my video on how to Filter in Durem Reclamation Facility lake.

Things to note about Filtering in Durem Reclamation Facility lake:

• In the video, I use an Angelic Rod, but Filtering is possible with the use of any rod.
  • Durem Reclamation Facility is considered the hardest lake to Filter due to it being hard to catch anything to new Fishers in the first place.

How to Filter Durem Reclamation Facility.

For those who do not watch the video, here is my written up guide to Filtering in Durem Reclamation Facility.

• Durem can be very difficult to figure out when it comes to Filtering, this is because Junk here pulls extremely strong, unlike Bass'ken and Port of Gambino.
  • Things to notice when you're watching the pull of the Junk are that Junk moves strongly in Both directions. A tip to figure out the difference between Junk against Medium & Large fish is that when you have Junk on the line when you're pulling back, the red bobber moves more back to the middle between the red lines (this is only useful knowing between Junk & Mediums/Larges because Smalls also move back closer to the middle when you pull as well).
  • Yet again, Junk's speed is a factor here, and it's Junk's giveaway in Durem. This will be discussed further in another post, but a good way to start telling the difference is noticing the longer time that Junk likes to use before moving to the other side. There is the downside though that White Pebbo Feeders are almost identical to Junk and barely giveaway a difference to tell what is Fish and what is Junk.

None thus far

• Introduction
• Bass'ken
• Port of Gambino
• Durem Reclamation Facility ◄
• Junk
• Feel Vs. Count

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Poor lonely Junk

So you may be wondering why I've put a post on Junk itself, when Filtering is the point to get rid of Junk. This is untrue! As much as Junk is annoying, it does have it's own Fishing Trophy category, therefore deserves it's own post.

What the purpose of this post is to give tips on how to best Junk for those want to Fish in the category of Junk.

Where is the best place to do what is sometimes called "Reverse-Filtering?"

Most people, including myself, will immediately say go to Port of Gambino solely for the fact that most find it the easiest lake to Filter in, therefore they can apply Reverse-Filtering to there and focus on only Junk.

What is Reverse-Filtering?

Reverse-Filtering is simply instead of catching Junk instead of Fish, but you are still technically Filtering in a sense. It is also simply known as "Junking."

• Introduction
• Bass'ken
• Port of Gambino
• Junk ◄
• Feel Vs. Count

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Feel vs. Count

"Feel" vs. "Count" is a topic focusing on how others Filter. These two types of Filtering are to be discussed on what do you think is better? Learning to Filter by the Feel of how a catch on the line moves or between by Counting, or making certain rhythms that give off to you what a certain catch on the line really is. To go more in depth of each type of Filtering, I'll post what I know from personal experience.

Feel

Feel is just the ability to tell the difference solely on movement and speed.

Feel is how originally I learned to Filter, in Port of Gambino. Gambino fish have an automatic feel to them that give them away as Fish and not Junk. They move faster & they pull on both sides. Bass'ken was relatively the same, where Junk's movement is what gave away to me how the feel was to distinguishing Junk from Fish.

Count

Count/Beat is the use of a certain rhythm to figure out Junk's movement between anything else that's not Junk.

Count is what I use in my video for Durem, because that is how I learned myself in Durem. Durem is not an easy lake to get a Feel for when it comes to Junk, so Counting with a beat was what I found to help the best for myself. Count is possible at any other lake, but almost not even required at Port of Gambino due to how obvious Junk is by Feel.

The Better of the Two?

I have personal experience with both types of Filtering, and what I've discovered is that Feel will eventually be the most used of the two. Although Count does help when you're learning to Filter, it's essentially just that, when you're learning. Once you have Filtering down, it becomes a 2nd nature ability and Feel automatically becomes what you use. I myself no longer use Count at Durem because I am able to tell the difference by Feel now. So in conclusion, my opinion on the matter is that Feel wins against Count.
Don't let my opinion be the final say on the matter though, discuss your own opinions and if you prefer Feel or Count.

• Introduction
• Bass'ken
• Port of Gambino
• Junk
• Feel Vs. Count ◄

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover