Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Fishing Forum Ubersticky

Welcome to the Fishing Forum Ubersticky! Here you will find information on how to fish, rules for posting in the forum, and how to report things in the forum and in fishing itself, and much more.

Why has the sticky been changed? Well, since it was first released, fishing has changed a lot. In addition, some things have needed further clarification and explanation.

Table of Contents

1st Post: Introduction <---- You are here. 3nodding
2nd Post: Fishing Forum & Gaia Fishing Rules and Guidelines
3rd Post: When & How to Report Threads and Posts
4th Post: What Should and Should Not Be Reported
5th Post: How to Report Abuse/Harassment/Non-PG-13 Content in Gaia Slots or Fishing
6th Post: Reporting Fishing Errors
7th Post: How to Fish
8th Post: Reporting Fishing Errors & Errors List
9th post: Gaia Fishing and Fishing Forum FAQ
10th post: Credits

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Fishing Forum & Gaia Fishing Rules and Guidelines

While we know need help with the Gaia Fishing game, there are some rules that should be followed when posting threads or making posts in this forum.

• Please make player meetup threads elsewhere.
    All advertisements for fishing threads or threads asking for users to meet up in X location will be sent to the Chatterbox.

• Use bumps sparingly.
    This is a slow moving forum. Please only bump if your question or request for assistance has gone unanswered and fallen off the first page of the forum. If a thread is answered, do not bump it! Bumping your thread (or in anyone else's thread) will be treated as spam, and can earning you warnings or bannings if repeated.

• Let dead threads die.
    Necro'ing, or a thread is reviving a thread that died weeks ago, months ago, or even years ago is considered spam. Necro'ing an old thread is illegal and it can get you warned. If you absolutely must reply to something please pm the user if it is specific to them, or make a new thread on the subject.

• Stay on topic
    Entering threads to say "hi" or "wow thats cool" isn't appropriate (and it's not fun for everyone else). If you're new to Gaia and want to give random hellos, please use the Welcome to Gaia Forum, or Chatterbox Forum. If you are looking for a place to make new friends, check out the Friends Chat forum.

• Keep journal entries in your journal.
    All "fishing journals" in which you chronicle your catches and share with other users will be Chatterboxed. You are free to use your journal in order to document such things. There is no need to keep a "separate" journal in this forum.

• Keep the titles straightforward please.
    "OMG I just caught a Sapphireback!" with "haha, jk jk" is not appreciated. Such threads will be Chatterboxed.

• Check existing topics first!
    For site glitches and technical issues, most problems affect more than a single user. Try to look over at least the threads on the first page of the forum to see if someone else is experiencing the same difficulty as you before you create a new topic. For less serious issues: there's no need for 10 "what is the best rod?" topics. Multiple repeat threads will be sent to the Recycle Bin (ie - 5 "What is the best rod?" threads on the front page).
    This also includes "How do I get ____ from Fishing?" threads. There are many guides in this forum that have the answer(s) for your question(s) and are almost always located on the first page of threads.

• Please only ask for answers on a thread.
    It's not efficient to have users PM or IM you with answers to your questions. This prevents other users from checking on the information being shared. Also, it's bad etiquette. If you have to leave, you can subscribe to your thread, or bookmark it (or add it to your browser's favorites menu), or copy the URL (address) of the thread and return to it later.

• If you're being helped, be polite.
    No one is required to answer your questions or reply to your threads. The more respect you show to your fellow users and the easier you make it on them to help, the better you will be helped.

• If you're trying to help, be helpful!
    If you're just going to say "I have no idea," or "Don't know! That's weird!", it's better to not post and let someone post who does have an idea or know and recognize the problem. If you have information you think may be of use but you're not certain it's correct, it's also nice to let us know that you're not certain of the information.

• Please only answer questions on threads.
    Please do not create threads asking users to ask you questions and that you will answer them. This is redundant of the entire forum.

• Use the report system and report bad threads!
    Some Gaians will post threads that don't belong in this forum or threads that should be removed due to being inappropriate. It's better to not post in these threads. Report them to an online moderator! Let us explain why the thread should be moved.

• Do not alter the URLs.
    Please also remember that attempting to load the fishing game in *any* other fashion other than clicking on the fishing links in the maps (such as changing the url or loading into an external player) is also a bannable offence, and should not be done.

"What Qualifies as Spam?"

- Emoticon spamming.
Example:
Quote:
mrgreen sweatdrop gonk domokun twisted sad

- Bumping a thread.
Examples:
Quote:
Bump bump

Quote:
Up this goes

Quote:
"Today I did ______ and now I'm going to go do ______. See you later!"

- Posts which have nothing to do with the thread and are blatantly off-topic.
Example:
Quote:
Hi i dn't know why im here

Quote:
you suck!

Gaia Fishing Multiplayer Rules

The rules for chatting in Gaia Fishing Multiplayer are the same rules that Gaia follows. Users found breaking these rules will be punished as if they had done so in the regular forums. For more information, please read this annoucement: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7553948
When & How to Report Threads and Posts

Note: To see what should and should not be reported, please see the post two spots down from this one.

This section details how to report posts and threads in the fishing forum.

When to report to moderators

While we're sure that sometimes you just want to post with your friends and no one else, there are some guidelines about using the Report System.

The following are examples of things that are NOT reportable or is prohibited. Reporting any of these can lead to warnings because this is considered report system abuse.
  • Reporting someone for "posting in my thread when I told him/her not to." Gaia is a public forum where all users should be able to post if they are able to add anything to the conversation. If you want to talk privately with your friends, you are free to create your own guild through the Gaian Guild Network.
  • Threatening to use the report system in any way to keep most users out. These are commonly in the form of "if you bump, I'll report you!".

The following are examples of things that ARE reportable through the report system
  • Page-stretching spam in which a post causes unnecessary vertical page scrolling or horizontal page scrolling
  • Oversized signatures (though these can also be PMed to any purple moderator. Please include a link to their profile!)
  • PG-13+ material. I don't think I need to define what this entails.
  • Basically, anything that violates Gaia's Terms of Service

Remember, please think carefully about what you're reporting before you report it. The Report System is for TOS violations. If you're not sure something is violating the TOS, pm an online moderator and ask them about it.

How to report

Reporting a Post.

User Image

This is the Report this post button, which appears at the top-right of each post.

Only use the Report this post button if you see an individual post that needs removing from an otherwise acceptable thread.

Reporting a Thread.

User Image

This is the Report this thread button, which appears at the bottom-left of each thread page.

Only use the Report this thread button if you see a thread that needs moving out of the forum in its entirety.

The Report Form.
If you click either of these buttons, you will see the following text:

Report form
You are reporting a post on Gaia Online. Please be sure to report posts that fall under the following:

- Imagery that contains explicity sexual or violent content (pg-13).
- Content that promotes or provokes hatred towards an individual or group of individuals (trolling).
- Spam in a given thread (as per that forum's guidelines).
- Items not listed here but are covered in the Gaia Terms of Service (ToS).

Please do not submit post reports for swearing, attitude, or issues not covered in the Gaia Online ToS. Additionally, please do not submit this form multiple times for the same post, abuse this reporting tool, or spam this form with meaningless information. Only submit this form for the exact post that is breaking the Gaia ToS or Forum Rules.

That's pretty self-explanatory. Please fill in the form in as much detail as possible - if a post is breaking the Terms of Service, please state which section of the Terms of Service. If a thread is in the wrong forum, please indicate which forum it would be better suited to. This will speed up the moderators' jobs and ensure that reported posts and threads are more efficiently dealt with.

And that's it. No need for you to take any further action, as the thread or post will be brought to a moderator's attention, and dealt with accordingly. 3nodding

Posting remarks like "STFU n00b" or "Wrong forum" doesn't help get the thread moved any faster, so please, just report it, and leave the rest to us. It's better not to waste your time posting someplace that's about to get moved anyway.

We kindly ask that if reporting a thread, to please not use the Report this post button, as they are designed for reporting post that needs to be taken care of instead of the whole thread.

If you prefer to report the thread/post to a moderator via PM, you can click "View Forum Moderators" near at the top of the forum.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewforum_moderators.php?f=124 <= List of the moderators for GAIA Fishing!.

Please PM an online moderator if reporting, and they will get to your report as soon as possible. 3nodding

(Thanks to Zahir for the How to report section of this post)
What Should and Should Not Be Reported

In the Forum
Do report:

• Page-stretching spam in which a post causes unnecessary vertical page scrolling or horizontal page scrolling
  • Oversized signatures (though these can also be PMed to any purple moderator. Please include a link to their profile!)
  • PG-13+ material. I don't think I need to define what this entails.
  • Basically, anything that violates Gaia's Terms of Service
  • Spam.

Note: Please do not quote the post you are reporting. Even if it is something like spam, quoting it makes deleting the post pointless and it makes clean up more tedious. Just report it, leave it alone, and move on. We'll deal with it as soon as we can. smile

Don't report:
  • Reporting someone for "posting in my thread when I told him/her not to." Gaia is a public forum where all users should be able to post if they are able to add anything to the conversation. If you want to talk privately with your friends, you are free to create your own guild through the Gaian Guild Network.
  • Threatening to use the report system in any way to keep most users out. These are commonly in the form of "if you bump, I'll report you!".
  • Repeat threads. While annoying, these are valid because users are still asking for help. The exception to this is if there's at least 3 or 4 of the same thread on the front page of the forum, in which case please include links to the other repeats threads when you fill out the report.

Reporting any of these can lead to warnings because this is considered report system abuse.

In Gaia Fishing

Do report:
  • Anything violating Gaia's Terms of Service

Don't report:
  • X only rooms, ie "hot girls/gays/blacks only!"
  • Users who politely refuse to leave a room when asked.
  • Thread names which are not against ToS. (Asking to cyber is illegal, having a title of, for example 'sexy truth or dare' is legal. If something illegal is going on in one of those, please go in and report individual users!)

Reporting any of these can lead to warnings because this is considered report system abuse.

Remember, please think carefully about what you're reporting before you report it. The Report System is for TOS violations. If you're not sure something is violating the TOS, pm an online moderator and ask them about it.
How to Report Abuse/Harassment/Non-Pg-13 Content in Gaia Slots or Fishing

What to Report
Room Names must follow the Terms of Service and Rules & Guidelines. This means that Room Names should not be Abusive/Harassing, excessively vulgar and absolutely no Cybering is allowed.

Users in Multiplayer Chats must follow the Terms of Service and Rules & Guidelines. This means that Users in Multiplayer Chats should not Abuse or Harass other Users in Chat, language should not be excessively vulgar, Users should not Spam Chat and absolutely no Cybering is allowed.

Room Names

If you see a room name that breaks our PG-13 rule or is abusive in nature, you can report it in three easy steps.
Step 1: Click the room name you are reporting so that it is highlighted.

User Image

Step 2: Click the "report abuse" button that is underneath the "create" and "Join" buttons.

User Image

Step 3: Write anything we should know in the "Notes" section.

For example, if the title is in Spanish (and offensive) and you know what the translation is, that'd be very helpful for us to know.

User Image

Users

When a user becomes verbally abusive or posts offensive content in the multiplayer chat you can report them in a few simple steps.

Step 1: Click on the user's avatar at the top of the game.

User Image

Step 2: Click "report abuse"

User Image

Step 3: Please list what you're reporting i.e., harassment, PG-13 etc.

User Image

Step 4: Click "Go" when you are finished or click "Cancel" if you made a mistake

How to Igore/Unignore A User in Gaia Slots/Fishing.
If you do not want to talk with another user in the Chat, you can ignore them until you leave that game. Using the "Ignore User" in a Multiplayer chat does not put them on your Ignore List and will only ignore them in that game.

To Ignore a User:

1. Click on the head of the Avatar at the top of the room
2. Click "IGNORE USER" on the menu

If you put someone on Ignore by mistake or want to talk to them again, you can Stop Ignoring the user.

To Stop Ignoring a User:
3. Click on the head of the Avatar at the top of the room
4. Click "STOP IGNORE" on the menu

Reminder: The report system should only be used for real reports! False reports or using the system improperly may lead to your account being warned or banned. icon_sad.gif Moderators review all reports, if you honestly report something on accident, the Mod who reads the report will be able to see this and ask you to pay attention in the future and only report when needed.

Thanks to Dri and the other admins for the announcement (found here: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11856831 ) from which parts of this guide are derived. smile

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Reporting Fishing Errors & Errors List

If you come across any errors while playing or trying to play the newest version of Gaia Fishing, please go to the bug reports thread in Bug Reports and Technical Support:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7473062

To all: The Gaia admin are aware that there are several problems with Gaia Fishing. The problems have been brought to their attention and are being worked on. Unfortunately we don't have any timelines for when things will be fixed, but we will do our best to keep everyone updated.

Until then, please visit the sticky linked above if you have any problems/errors/glitches when playing Gaia Fishing.
3nodding

Some of the older glitches/errors that have been experienced:

Quote:
Currently Glitch/Bug Updates - Updated July 10th, 2005

1. Unable to access multiplayer (novarren)
    Some people are having problems accessing multiplayer, getting the "Game In Play" glitch in some locations, apparently this is a possible problem if you tend to quit/save and quit in the middle of a game. Its said if you make sure to do a full bucket and let it auto-save, this should not be a problem
    Workaround: Go to the fishing store. If you get a screen beforehand, click the "override" setting. Try again. If it doesn't work, singleplayer fishing should be fine.
    Reporting: If you still are having problems with multiplayer fishing in multiple locations, you may report it here:
    http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8685570
    Please read all of the first post before reporting it to that thread.

2. Multiplayer fishing not saving (novarren)
    Some people have been reporting that playing multiplayer fishing, they cannot save their buckets, however single player seems to save buckets fine.

3. Fishing Buckets are not always saved (D bait?)
    Users are reporting that when fishing with D bait, although the scores are recorded, the fish are not being saved to their inventory. There have been a few reports that indicate it may not only be D bait as well. There are no known workarounds for this at the moment.

4. List of older problems
    Sevi Rais
    • ~Buckets of fish disappearing
    • ~Certain buttons not showing up
    • ~Saving your catches? Maybe?

• Can't use < in a chat room, it will not enter and will block all text after it entered from appearing.
    • The "single/multi player" window and the "Join/create" window wont disappear.

5. Fish Exchange - Trading In
    Some people are reporting that they're not able to trade in for items when reaching their # of items normal for trade in, such as 100 guppies or what not
    UPDATE: Possibly fixed

6. General Error
    Upon playing the game and possibly attemting to save, some people report this error:
    Quote:
    Game saved, but
    failed saving user statistics. Table
    'anihq.fishing_stats_0505' doesn't exist

Game could not be saved. Sorry for the
    inconvenience.
    Please note that its been said that you still do indeed keep the fish that you made in that game, however it doesnt record it to your fishing stats in the store supposedly.
    UPDATE: Fixed I believe, havnt seen anything on it in a little while.

Quote:

"Eternal Saving" error: A bucket is finished, the box stating "Saving Game" appears... And never leaves. I have left buckets sitting like that for 5-10 minutes, only to find that no fish have been saved to my inventory. And yes, many users report this happening, though it isn't something that happens on a constant basis for most users.

Now, this last error has a lot after it, yes. This is because i've studied this one myself, being I am afflicted with it, along with many others, and it may be of interest to whoever does the base coding for Gaia Games in general.

"Multi" error: This one has a history of sorts, believe it or not. Back in October 05, someone did something to fishing. I forget the exact update, but I think it went from v1.5 to v1.5.3... At that point, a few people, myself included, found that we could not stay "connected" to multiplayer fishing, or Towns for that matter. After awhile, others would see a message that we had left the fishing room, ourselves oblivious. We kept fishing, not noticing that we didn't see others hooking fish, and our bucket saved. When we went to type, it didn't send to the room, so we exited and re-entered. Not overly bad, and I only knew of a few others that were afflicted, so we didn't bother reporting it. People would come in, on and off, reporting it happening, but it went away for most.

Around the time Word Bump was released, I guess fishing had something done to it. Whether before or after I can't tell you, I wasn't fishing as much. But when I tried to fish again, especially this month, i've found I can't. You see, I will go into a fishing room(Since we don't have single anymore, the same thing happens if i'm in a locked room alone), and find I am repeatedly "booted" from the chat. The problem with this is that now, without fail, my game will end in the Eternal Saving error I described above.

Now, I did some testing on this, in Firefox, so I would have some kind of data to give anyone that might possibly listen. Just for reference, I average between 5m 30s and 6m flat for the type of buckets I was doing, so you get an idea of the timeframes. Without fail, over 1/3, closer to 1/2, of my buckets end in eternal saving. I was on a messenger with someone in the room with me, who would tell me when I "poofed", or in other words, when it said I had left the room. In the buckets where I had the error, it usually happened not much more than halfway through the bucket. That's roughly three minutes before timing out. It has happened that I was errored out in less than a minute, and other times my bucket will actually save, but the average seems to be about 3-10 minutes before I am ejected from the game, with no knowledge of it unless I have someone to tell me. The only thing that seems to have an impact on the amount of time I stay connected is the amount of time between when I last accessed the game. If I wait a few days, I can get maybe an hour or two of solid connection. Otherwise, i'm lucky if one of those 5m 30s buckets is fast enough to save.

It's not a solitary issue, because I can name at least 2 other prominent fishers with this error, point you to another, and recall at least 10 reported cases. How many more are left unspoken about?

I had taken into consideration that it might be my security. But I have tried it on two other computers in the home network, one with nothing beyond Windows Firewall, the other with PC-Cillin Antivirus protection. The computer I am on now has Norton Internet Security. I've tried it with all things disabled. I've disabled my specific network's firewall even, and the problem still persists, though Norton tells me I have multiple attacks being blocked by it. I do not know what security issues the others have, but I can give more info if you wish on my system.

The reason this might matter to you at all is because this too is Gaia-wide. Towns has a tendency to freeze, as in, clicking on flower to pick it results in infinite misses, same with bugs, and so on. Slots and Cards both remove me from the game by no longer working. Slots will just have it's reel go on indefinetly, cards will just deal invisible cards and leave me with no options. Word bump has never gotten to level 20 before freezing, and rarely makes it to level 10. After talking with the people who have the same problem in fishing, I found that they too cannot access towns without it freezing in less than 5 minutes regularly.

Some of the current glitches/errors that have been experienced:

Quote:
New complaint: whoever made the volume button less confusing seems to have accidentally made the game out of focus while they were in there. It hurts the eyes.

Quote:
I don't think I've seen anyone mention it here yet, other then the new blurry avis.... but also some of the buttons no longer work in fishing. Such as the quit button on the bait screen. I haven't tried the save and quit feature yet, but someone said it wasn't working (but I'm not sure if that is true)... Also the quit buttons on any of the pop-up screens, like error messages, don't work either.

Quote:
At random intervals, clicking on the fishing locations found on maps (ie: Durem reclamation facility) randomly opens up a Bass'ken (the default) fishing location instead.

Quote:
Hmm... another thing I don't think about too often unless I'm trophy fishing...

There is a tendency to get "chat lag" after fishing for a while if there has been a lot of talking. Basically anytime someone talks it causes your fishing game to lag, which can often result in you losing the fish you are reeling in. At this point you also get lag if people switch rods.

I don't know if there is anything that can be done about this or not... but it would be nice.

Quote:
The "chat lag" only happens when there is a lot of chatting... thats because fishing keeps the WHOLE chat log... so it scrolls the whole thing when some one talks, which then lags the game because thats a lot of data to handle.
Edit: and you can stop the lag simply by ignoring everyone...

Anyway...
About the save and quit thing I mentioned before. I tested it out. It does 'save' but it doesn't eject you immediately after saving like it used to. It just leaves you in the room and you can still chat, but not fish. It just shows the lake in the fishing window and no rod. So its just missing the 'quit' part of the save and quit.

Quote:
ok, a few hours ago I caught a big mouth bass'terd. it was gaia day.

bass'terds are from gaia night.

Please tell me the admins are aware that there's something wrong?

and if they need proof, while I'm sure they won't take my screenshot of the game, they can check their own logs, which should show that I caught a rare, and the time, and check that at that time, it was supposed to be gaia day, not night, so why did I get a night rare?

and while they are at it, they can put dawn/dusk rares back in.

Which leads us to...

Current list of errors/glitches and their status:

• Error: Rod Does Not ExistObserved: 3/8/08
    Some users are receiving an error which tells them that their rod does not exist. This error appears to be related to Item Normalization as it first occurred after Item Norms were done. This issue has been passed on to the appropriate people and it will be fixed.
  • Fashionable Hoarder

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

*Clicking on most of the images will show you a larger version

(Thank you to tiranaki for the information and graphic headers. Please don't steal them, they belong to her!)

There are several things you need to start playing Gaia Fishing. First of all, if you don't have Flash Player 9 installed, you won't be able to play any Gaia Games, so make sure you have that installed first. Next you need User Image (bait) and User Image (a rod). These are the basics, a basic rod comes in the starter set you receive when you joined, and F bait is given out in the Daily Chance for free. If for some reason you don't have either of these, you can buy a Basic Rod and F bait from The Ole Fishing Hole store. A basic rod costs 100 gold, and F bait costs 25 gold.

There are 2 ways to get to Gaia Fishing, the first way is to click on the GAMES tab in the menu, and then click on FISHING, on the Games page. This will launch Gaia Fishing at Bass'ken Lake. However! Did you know, there are 2 other fishing spots? That's right, you can find them by visiting the world map. To get to the world map, click on the WORLD tab, and then on WORLD MAP. Where it says Teleport, click on the drop-down menu and select Port of Gambino, or Durem Reclamation Facility. You can also click on the arrows in the map and explore for yourself.

Additonaly, and to make things simpler, you can just bookmark the following links and get to the map areas this way as well.

Bass'ken Lake -Easy
    Port of Gambino -Medium
    Durem Reclamation Facility. -Hard
    If you are new, you most likely want to start with Bass'ken Lake.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.This is the first thing you will see when you load Gaia Fishing, the pre-loader. Feel free to play around with the bubbles while you wait for the game to load. Note, you won't get anything from doing this, just making the time pass.

Once the game has loaded, you will see this screen. Click on the picture to see a full sized version. Basically, here you can create a new room, or join an existing room. A room can only have up to 6 players. If the room says PW next to the title, that means you need a password to enter that room.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.If you click on create and decided to make a room without a password, the screen will look like this

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.If you decide
    to make a room with a password, it will look like this

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Since I decided to make a room with a password, this is what my game window looks like. This is also known as the Bait Selection Screen. The password for the room will be in the top left corner, and the room name will be in the center. If you join a room that has a password made by someone else, you will only see the room name in the center, and the words (locked) next to it.

Pick a bait, and you're ready to start. If this is your first time fishing, I suggesting picking F bait. Click on the image to see a bigger version.

Playing Gaia fishing is fairly simple, pick a bait and rod, just click to cast, click to set power, wait for a hook, once you get a hook, move the mouse to keep the bobber between the red lines (also known as reeling) and that's it. First, let's explain what the buttons in the screen do.

Instructions: will load a page with some basic instructions on how to fish.
    Music: will turn the music on and off. There is currently no music for fishing, so this button does nothing at all.
    Sound: will turn the sound on and off.
    Quality: will toggle between 3 different qualities. High, Medium and Low. This is useful if you have a slower computer. Note, if you change qualities around, you will notice that the images might look blurry. To avoid this, pick one quality setting and stick with it.
    Lock/Unlock: will lock or unlock the room. This is useful if you are fishing in a room without a password and you want to lock it so no one else comes in, Note, this option is only available to the room creator. If a room is locked it will say (locked) next to the title, as shown.
    Save and Quit: Will save and close your game. Use this option if you have to finish the game before you fill the bucket. Please note, once you save a game, the fish are saved to your inventory, and you cannot go back to that game. Don't forget to click on the image to see a bigger version.

To start fishing, just pick a bait. In this case I've picked F bait. Next you'll want to pick a rod.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Picking A Different Rod: If you have more than one rod in your inventory, you can click through the arrows to pick the rod you want to use. If you have a plus rod, you will see both the regular version and the plus version of the rod.

Click on images to see larger version.
    User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
    User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
    User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Once you've picked a rod, click anywhere on the screen to cast. The power meter line will go side to side, click again to set the distance/power. While it's not necessary, it's helpful to always try to get the max distance, that way you get the most out of your rod, and more chances of larger/better fish.

Once you've cast, the rod will begin to reel in. If you hook something, you will see the hook screen, if you don't hook something, it will reel all the way to the bottom, and just click to start again. Once you have hooked something, you must move your mouse side to side to keep the bobber between the red lines. It might seem hard at first, but just practice doing it and it will become easier. When you catch something it will show you an image of the fish or trash you caught, plus a pun based on the fish. Each fish has a different image and pun. That screen will go away, and you can start again.

However, if you don't catch the fish, and loose it instead, you will see the big red X. Just click again and keep trying until you catch something. Your bucket will hold up to 18 fish/trash. When it's full, it will save automatically. You can also use the Save and Quit option if you want to save before the bucket is full. Afterwards you will see a message from Old Man Logan. The messages are random, from funny jokes and stories, to helpful tips and hints about the game. Click on Ok to make the message go away, pick another bait and play again. As long as you have bait in your inventory, you can play as many games as you want without having to close the Fishing window.

Fashionable Hoarder

(Thank you to tiranaki for the information and graphic headers. Please don't steal them, they belong to her!)

Please read through this FAQ first to see if your question is answered before making a new topic in the foum.

Fishing Rods

Which is the best rod? What rods can I use? Where can I get them? What's the difference between them? Which is better for catching "x" fish?

Gaia's Fishing Rods

There is no best rod. Rods are personal. If you loose fish at the end, you'll want a rod with wide lines at the end, if you loose fish in the middle, you'll want a rod with wider lines in the middle, etc. The only rod that could be considered the best rod, is the Angelic Rod, and it is not available yet.
    Gaia has 4 rods for you to use: Basic, Strength, Performance and Distance. Each rod has an upgrade, which increases the casting distance, plus makes the lines wider. The rods are the following:
    User ImageUser ImageBasic Rod and Basic Rod PLUS. Also known as BR and BRP.
    It looks similar to this: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
    User ImageUser ImageStrength Rod and Strenth Rod PLUS. Also known as SR and SRP.
    It looks similar to this: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
    User ImageUser ImagePerformance Rod and Performance Rod PLUS. Also known as PR and PRP.
    User ImageUser ImageDistance Rod and Distance Rod PLUS. Also known as DR and DRP.

All rods can hook every type of fish except for the Strength Rod. The Strength Rod cannot hook Large fish. The casting distance is not long enough. BUT, the Strength Rod PLUS can hook large fish. If you want to catch a lot of large fish, you might want to try the Distance Rod, because it has the longest casting distance.

For even more information on the rods, please visit this post: GAIA'S FISHING RODS

Fish and Trash

Which fish/trash are found in which lake? Does time affect the fish I can catch?

Bass'ken Lake Fish:
    Port of Gambino Fish:
    Durem Reclamation Facility Fish:

Time does not affect the fish you can catch, except for the rare fish. Need more information on the fish? Click here and visit this post

Rare Fish
    What are rare fish, how do I catch them, where are they found, when can I catch them? What bait/rod is best for catching rares?

Each fishing spot has 3 rare fish that are only available at certain times during the Gaian day. During the Day, Mutha Guppa, Buckin' Bino, and Diamondback Lion are the only rares available. During Dawn/Dusk, Candy Striper, Chargin' Chino and Rubyback Lion are available. During Gaia night, Big Mouth Bass'terd. Tootin' Tino and Emeraldback Lion are available.

Bass'ken Lake:
    User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Mutha Guppa, Candy Striper, Big Mouth Bass'terd

Port of Gambino:
    User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Buckin' Bino, Chargin' Chino, Tootin' Tino

Durem Reclamation Facility:
    User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Diamondback Lion, Rubyback Lion, Emerald Back Lion.

How to get a rare fish: There are rare fish. Meaning that your chances of catching one are very slim. There is nothing you can do to get a rare fish, except fish as much as possible, and use A or D LEVEL bait (it can be F bait as long as it's A or D level, more on that later).

ALL rods can hook rare fish, there is no best rod to hook a rare fish. Use the rod you are most comfortable with as much as possible and hope for the best.

You can catch more than 1 rare fish per account. Just fish as much as possible with good bait, and hope for good luck.

Bait
    What bait can I use? What's the difference between each bait? Is the expensive bait worth it?

User Image F Bait. Lowest quality bait. Will hook a lot of small fish and trash.
    User ImageD Bait. Medium quality bait. Will hook any fish, including rares. Higher amount of fish than F bait, but also good amount of trash.
    User ImageA Bait. Best quality bait. Will hook any fish, including rares. Less amount of trash than other baits.

If you fish less than 5 times a day, you can use F bait and won't notice any difference in the bait quality. If you fish more than 5 times a day, you will notice that you will start to catch less fish and more trash the more games you play. This is known as Bait Degradation. What this means is that the more games you play, the less fish there are in the lakes, so the only things left are trash. You can avoid this and get as many fish as possible by using D or A bait. That way you can fish as many games as you want, and in most cases, get more fish than trash.

If you want to get the most out of your bait and gold. Fish 5 times a day, and use the following formulas:

5 games of F bait: FFFFF or 2 games of F bait, and 3 games of D bait= FFDDD. If you only fish 5 times a day, that means that your F bait and D bait will be acting like A bait. Every 12 hours your bait will reset back to A bait level.

Trophies/Competing
    What are trophies? How do I get one? How do I get to be on the Winner's Circle? How do I compete?

Every month Gaia holds fishing competitions. The competition starts at midnight on the first day of the month, and ends at 11:59 PM on the last day of the month (PST). If you are in the top 10 of each lake, or in 1st place Overall, you win a trophy. All you have to do is fish as much as possible and place in the board by the end of the month.

Fishing Stats Here you can see the Top 15 in the lakes (only top 10 win trophies though) plus your own personal stats. Click on the links provided and you can see up to the top 50 in each area, including Overall. If your name is on this board, in any of the 10 to 1 positions, at the end of the month, then you will win a trophy.

Trophies

Bass'ken Lake Trophies:
    User ImageUser ImageUser Image
    Port of Gambino Trophies:
    Durem Reclamation Facility Trophies:
    Overall
    User Image
    Junk Trophies:

Positions are as follows: 10th to 3rd receive a Bronze, 2nd receives a Silver and 1st receives a Gold. Only 1st Overall receives a trophy. While there is no Junk Board, if you catch as much as junk as possible, you also win a Reclycing Trophy. Some users host an unofficial Junk Board every month, you can check out the forum and find this thead if you want to see how you are doign against other people.

OVERALL: Important things to know about the Overall board. You must have 1/4 of your catches from Bass'ken, and 1/4 from Gambino in order to appear on the Overall board. If you catch too much trash you will not be on the overall board. In order to win Overall, you must combine a balanced amount of fish from all the areas, as well as high quality fish. The better the fish you catch, the higher points you will get. It is possible to loose to someone with less fish than you, if they have higher quality fish.

Fish Score Values: What's this about quality? Each fish is worth points, including trash. If you catch more large and medium fish in your bucket, you will have higher points. Please not however, that you cannot get more than 9 large fish per bucket on A level bait. With D level bait, you can only get 3 large fish, and with F level bait, you can only get 1 large fish.

Bass'ken
    Guppies: 6 points
    Bass:16 points
    Striper:26 points
    Gambino
    Seedkin: 14 points
    Trout:24 points
    Tuna: 34 points
    Durem
    Pebbo: 22 points
    Biter: 32 points
    Boldur: 42 points
    Junk
    Can: 2 points
    Boot: 4 points
    Tire: 6 points.

Strategies

Filtering: Means to catch only a specific item and loose or let go of the rest. The more you fish, the more you will notice that each fish, including trash moves differently. After you've fished for a while, you will learn to recognize these patterns. Once you have recognized the patterns, you will be able to only keep the fish you want. If you hook a fish, and recognize by it's pattern that it's not a fish you want, you can drag the bobber to the side and let it go.

People that are competing use this method sometimes to get more points per bucket. You can also use this method if you want to earn as much gold as possible, because you can catch only the fish you want. So if you want large and medium fish with higher sellback prices, you can only catch those and let go of the small fish and trash.

Dredging/Powerfishing: Means to hook and catch everything. Powerfishing means to hook and catch everything as fast as possible, the faster the better. With Dredging you can take your time, you just don't loose anything on purpose, or, in other words, don't filter, catch trash and fish. People use these methods when they aren't concerned about the quality of their catches, and just want to do as many games as possible, in the fastest time possible. Any rod can be used for dredging, but for most people, a Strength Rod Plus is the rod of choice for powerfishing.

What can I do with all these fish?

1. Keep them.
    2. Trade them to other people.
    3. Sell them back to the fishing store, or sell them to other users in the marketplace and get gold in return.
    4. Exchange them for items! That's right, you can get cool hats, masks and other nifty things for the fish you've caught. Check out the Fish Exchange: How to Get Nifty Hats and Other Stuff for more information.

Are there any special places?Hotspots? What does moving around the map do?

Based on the evidence we have so far, moving around the map does... absolutely nothing! Except change the scenery you're looking at of course. This is an old rumor that has been tested and proven false countless times. There is no evidence to suggest there are any hotspots or that any specific area or place in the map will give you better fish, or increase your rare fish. According to Old Man Logan, the only thing that will increase your chances of better fish and rare fish is A bait.

Fashionable Hoarder

(Thank you to tiranaki for the links and the graphic headers. Please don't steal them, they belong to her!)

The Fish Exchange Wondering what to do with your fish? This sticky will tell you 3nodding
    Need Help Deciding Which Rod to Get? Wondering which rod is best for you? Check out images of all the rods and see for yourself
    Fishing for Profit at Durem: An Analytical Approach Want to make gold from fishing? Read here to find out how.
    Rare Fish Report Want info on rare fish? Caught one yourself? On the path to discovering everything we can about rare fish.
    Rare Mask Count Wondering how many rare fish masks there are? This thread keeps count, as well as other useful information.

Fishing Guides:
    Gaidin's Fishing Guide -Even more info on everything you need to know, and even things you think you don't need to know.
    A Newbies Guide to Fishing Want more info but don't want to read all the other guides? This one should help out.

Filtering Guides
    Transcendent's Filtering Guide Keep hearing "filtering" but aren't sure what it is or how it works? This should clear up some doubts.

Bait Guides
    Bait degradation? Which bait is better? These guides will tell you all you need to know.
    The Bait Guide
    Fayt's Bait Guide

In addition, check out the Top Fishers and the Unofficial Junk Scoreboard threads. These threads are made new each month, so be sure to browse the forum for them and stop by.
    Credits

- Thank you to Nobara and SevenTen for the stickies and other contributions they made to the Gaia Fishing Forum!

- Thank you to tiranaki for her contributions to the new Ubersticky!

- Thank you to Zahir for the information he contributed in the "How to Report" section!

Quick Reply

Submit
    Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff