Welcome to Gaia! ::

Got Rare?

yes! 0.15487587901381 15.5% [ 1828 ]
no T_T 0.71651275099551 71.7% [ 8457 ]
o.O 0.12861136999068 12.9% [ 1518 ]
Total Votes:[ 11803 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 363 364 365 > >> >>> »|

Fashionable Hoarder

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Welcome to the Rare Fish Report thread

Our Purpose: To gather data about Gaia's rare fish and present it to our fellow fishers with the hopes that the information found here will help them in the catching of their own rare fish.

UPDATE: This thread is very old. The data gathered here is only meant to show new fishers the information we have on rare fish. There are no new updates because there is nothing new to report. All the information that is known on rare fish is all that there is in existence. The original purpose of the thread was to gather information to determine if people's theories about rares were correct, and see what else we could find out. Those theories have either been proven true or false, and all information available to us has been discovered.

I wish there was more left to discover and find out, I really do, but there isn't. Unless an update is made to the game that involves rare, that's all there is to it. I'm sorry.

Introduction

Most people have a general idea about rare fish, little bits of facts and things we've all heard and experienced while we're out fishing. Some of it came from guides, some of it came from theories we had thought up, some of it came from people that looked at the game code long ago.

Rare fish were... pretty rare. In the past, months could go by with only 1 or 2 reports. It seems like times have changed however, there are more and more reports popping up in threads around the forum and elsewhere, with lots of new information.

In this thread I had hoped to gather as much information as possible, from what bait was used, to how the fish moved. Everything we could find, to hopefully see what's changed, if anything, in this new version of Gaia Fishing, and establish possible ways in which people can hunt for rares more efficiently.

Everyone is welcome to post what rares they have caught, as well as discuss their theories and ideas regarding the rare fish.

Thread Rules and Guidelines

Please read these before posting. If you break one of these rules you will be banned from the thread, so just don't do it, ok? Thanks.

• I thought this would be obvious, but ABSOLUTELY NO COPYING ANYTHING FOUND HERE. You may ask for permission to use the information, and post it in your own words. If you desire to post it exactly as I have it, please use the "quote" function. You must provide a link to this thread. Just saying my name is not good enough, there must be a link.
  • No spam. No bumps unless the thread is off the first page of the forum. Spam includes posts that are just smilies/emoticons, and posts that are not related to either rare fish, rare fish prices, or the fishing game in general. The only type of spam that is allowed is a bump to bring the thread back up to the first page of the forum. Please keep in mind that spam can be warned for. I will most likely delete spam in my thread, I will most likely delete posts that are not related to the topic and contribute in no way to the thread. I will most likely delete posts that are just random things when the thread is already on the first page of the forum.
  • No quoting ANY of the first 5 posts on the first page. If you have something to say, use the POST REPLY button, NOT the "QUOTE" button.
  • Be NICE to each other. Keep personal drama out.
  • When reporting a rare catch, please include screenshot proof. If you don't know how to get the screenshot, post and ask. If you don't know what to put in the form, please post and ask, someone will tell you 3nodding
  • Do NOT PM me your report, POST it HERE. Please and thank you. I'd rather you not PM me at all as my inbox is far too full with moderating related PMs and any regular PMs will quickly get lost and end up ignored among all the confusion.
  • [If sharing rare fish price information, please post it all in a single post, or make a post, mention that you will be editing it, and edit in all the information you found later.
  • I don't mind double posts, but don't over do it. Don't make a new post right after your last post if it's not absolutely necessary.
  • Don't sell your fish here. Caught a rare fish? Great, post it. Bought a rare fish? Great, please post the price. Sold a rare fish? Wonderful, please post the selling price. Want to chat about rare fish prices and the rare fish market or about your efforts and experiences as a rare fish seller or buyer? No problem. Want to sell a rare fish? Go to the Game Item Exchange, don't post here. Want to buy a rare fish? Go to the Game Item Exchange and look for sellers. Don't post here.

I reserve the right to add any more rules as I see fit.

Last Updated: March 15, 2012. Will no longer be updated any further, sorry!

Fashionable Hoarder

Please use the following code to report your catches. If there's something you're unsure of, post and we'll do our best to explain it.
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Fishing Spot:[/b]
[b]Gaian Time of Day (Night, Day, Dawn or Dusk):[/b]
[b]Rare Fish Caught:[/b]
[b]Bait Used:[/b]
[b]Bait Level:[/b]
[b]Date Caught(Approx.):[/b]
[b]Rod Used[/b]
[b]Fishing Mode (Casual/Competition)* (see explanation below)[/b]:
[b]Row and Slot: * (see explanation below) [/b]
[b]How Many Games Had You Played That Day When You Caught It:[/b]
[b]Were You Filtering, or Dredging/Powerfishing: (MUST be one of these, see explanation below) [/b]
[b]Proof:[/b]

Sample Report

*Username: myusername
Fishing Spot: Durem
Gaian Time of Day (Night, Day, Dawn or Dusk): Night
Rare Fish Caught: Emerald
Bait Used: F
Bait Level: A
Date Caught(Approx.): june.25.07
Rod Used DRP
Row and Slot:* (see explanation below) 1st slot, 1st row
Fishing Mode (Casual/Competition)* (see explanation below) : Casual
How Many Games Had You Played That Day When You Caught It: First game (1)
Were You Filtering, or Dredging/Powerfishing: (MUST be one of these, see explanation below) Dredging
Proof: *insert screenshot of stats page or vend*

• When you fish, you are either filtering, dredging or powerfishing. If you are just fishing casually and catching what you can and not caring if you get trash or fish or whatever, you know, just fishing and chatting with friends, or not really doing anything except passing the time and having fun, then you are dredging. Which means, to catch everything you can with no specific intent or purpose except to fill up the bucket.
  • If you are only catching fish and letting go of the trash, or only catching large and medium fish and letting go of the small fish and the trash, or letting go of ALL the fish and only catching trash, etc, then you are filtering. To filter means to let go of the unwanted items and only reel in the things you want. This is done by knowing how each item moves and being able to tell what it is before you catch it..
  • If you are trying to fill in the bucket as fast as possible, not caring if you get trash or fish, then you are powerfishing. Which means to fill up the bucket in the fastest possible time with little to no regard as to the contents of said bucket.
    That said, please do not put "no" or "I don't know" or "neither" when answering that question. You HAVE to have been doing one of the 3 because that's how the game is played. Even if you were just "fishing randomly" then you were still dredging.
  • Casual meaning less than 20 games per day. Just a few games a day, or a week, etc. Competition meaning 20 or more games, in other words, you were fishing constantly throughout the day.
  • Was the fish in the first row, second row or third row? And was it the 1st slot, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th and last slot?

Proof of Catch

While I would love to give everyone benefit of the doubt, I've come across too many fake reports, so if you want your rare report to be added to the data, please include a screenshot.

The only acceptable screenshots are the following:

IMPORTANT: If you decide to use the vend store method, please select BID ONLY, and put a really high amount, like 300000000. Make sure you select 14 days as the auction time, and a bid increment of 1000. If you use this method, don't take the necessary precautions and loose your fish, I am not responsible.

The reason why a bucket/in game screenshot is not preferred is because these are easily editable in any photo-editing program.

WHERE TO FIND YOUR FISHING STATS
http://www.gaiaonline.com/games/fishing/stats.php

HOW TO TAKE A SCREENSHOT
Screen shot guide for ALL computers

* Please save this link for future references, as a fisher, you will use it a LOT.

Fashionable Hoarder

Rare Fish from Bass'ken Lake

User Image
Fish Name: Mutha Guppa
Fish Location: Bass'ken Lake
Suggested Fisher's Pricing: 250k-280k
Last Reported Actual Sell Price: 330k
Fish Item Available: Mutha Guppa Mask
Time of Day Available: Day
Catch Description:
"Dang gurl! Baby got back!"
Inventory Description:
"You don't wanna mess with this Mutha Guppa. Seriously. Well, ok. Go for it. But don't say I didn't warn you."

User Image
Fish Name: Big Mouth Bass'terd
Suggested Fisher's Pricing: 250k-300k
Last Reported Actual Sell Price: 250k (Reported by Moldorm)
Fish Item Available: Big Mouth Bass'terd Mask
Time of Day Available: Night
Catch Description:
"OMG! HE'S HUGE!"
Inventory Description:
"There isn't a creature in this lake more crude, more foul, more vile, and more digusting than the Big Mouth Bass'terd!"

User Image
Fish Name: Candy Striper
Suggested Fisher's Pricing: 600k-850k
Last Reported Actual Sell Price: 600k (reported by Bria_Teregram)
Fish Item Available: Candy Striper Mask
Time of Day Available: Dawn/Dusk
Catch Description:
"I don't know why anyone would volunteer to be caught."
Inventory Description:
"The Candy Striper is known to lure little children with its alluring candy shell exterior. These children are fooled into believing they've found the motherload of candies then are gobbled up by this vicious carnivorous fish! HAHAHHAHA! Stupid children..."

Rare Fish from Port of Gambino

User Image
Fish Name: Buckin' Bino
Fish Location: Port of Gambino
Suggested Fisher's Pricing: 100k-120k
Last Reported Actual Sell Price: 112.5k (reported by Moldorm)
Fish Item Available: Buckin' Bino Mask
Catch Description:
"A fish that even Gambino himself would be proud of."
Inventory Description:
"A fish truly worthy of swimming in Gambino's waters."

User Image
Fish Name: Tootin' Tino
Suggested Fisher's Pricing: 120k-150k
Last Reported Actual Sell Price: 150k (Reported by Bria Teregram)
Fish Item Available: Tootin' Tino Mask
Catch Description:
"No amount of tootin' can save you from my bucket!"
Inventory Description:
"Like Chino, only more aggressive. His unique fin configuration allows him to use water pressure to propel him forward."

User Image
Fish Name: Chargin' Chino
Suggested Fisher's Pricing: 150k-250k
Last Reported Actual Sell Price: 177.5k
Fish Item Available: Chargin' Chino Mask
Catch Description:
"Hmm... how much would you CHARGE for this guy!"
Inventory Description:
"Like Bino, only a faster swimmer. His unique fin configuration adds 5 more horsepower to his fish engine."

Rare Fish from Durem Reclamation Facility

User Image
Fish Name: Diamondback Lion
Fish Location: Durem Reclamation Facility
Suggested Fisher's Pricing: 600k-800k
Last Reported Actual Sell Price: 700k
Fish Item Available: Diamondback Lion Mask
Catch Description:
"King of the sea MY BUTT!"
Inventory Description:
"Graceful and elegant, these fish possess diamond sharp fins that can cut through other fish as they swim past them... kinda like a ninja... in like... say... an anime... where they run past each other and like... the other dude... like... slides apart or somethin... you know... elegant-like ... unlike this description."

User Image
Fish Name: Emeraldback Lion
Suggested Fisher's Pricing: 600k-850k
Last Reported Actual Sell Price: 650k (Reported by tiranaki)
Fish Item Available: Emeraldback Lion Mask
Catch Description:
"Look at this guy! They will all be GREEN with envy!"
Inventory Description:
"A cousin of the Diamondback and Rubyback varieties of Lionfish. They're always after me lucky charms."

User Image
Fish Name: Rubyback Lion
Suggested Fisher's Pricing: 900k-1200k
Last Reported Actual Sell Price: 1600k
Fish Item Available: Rubyback Lion Mask
Catch Description:
"PWNED!"
Inventory Description:
"A cousin of the Diamondback and Emeraldback varieties of Lionfish. Like rubies compared to diamonds, these fish are more um... how to say... red."

Note: Suggested Fisher's Pricing is the price that we as fishers think the fish should be worth. We try to think of prices that are fair not only to those that caught the fish, but to those that are questing for the fish as well.
In order to update the Last Reported Sale Price, I need help. If you recently sold a rare fish to someone, please post the price, or a range. If you bought a rare fish, same thing. Also if you witnessed the buying/selling of a rare fish.
In the mean time, I will put the Lowest Buy Now price found in the Marketplace. Please note that price is NOT accurate of actual sales.

Thanks to everyone that suggested prices: SirTooky, DJ Trouble, Chaos Butterfly, and anyone else I am currently forgetting.

Last updated: July 28th, 2008

Fashionable Hoarder

General Data

*click on banner to see gathered data.

• Rare fish can be hooked with ANY rod. They are found at 25 feet and higher.

• You CAN catch more than 1 rare with the same account. (I've caught 5, many others have caught 3 and 4, etc.)

• A and D level bait will trigger a "lucky" bucket, F level bait will trigger a lucky bucket but since it's F bait, the game automatically nullifies it. F bait is a "rare killer", don't use it unless it's A or D level (this means that it's acting as if it was A or D bait). Every F game you play could have been a rare that was just killed crying (seriously though, use D bait instead).

• However, it's possible using A level bait specifically, has a GREATER chance than D bait. This is just a theory though based on my experiences. This was just a theory and time has proven that using A bait specifically has no greater chance at hooking rares than A-level D or F bait.

• Rares DO NOT move like trash. This has been proven by the game code. Each rare species has a specific movement unique to it that is also similar to another fish in that same lake. The individual movements may feel different to you than what is listed below, but this is due to differing computer and network speeds. The movements listed below are based on the actual hard data that is the game code numbers.

Rare Fish Movements
    The movements are as follows:
    • ALL Bass'ken rares move like fast gray stripers
    • ALL Gambino rares move like Warm Trout. Easily mistaken for Blue Seedkin because both fish have almost identical movements.
    • ALL Durem rares move closets to a fast white pebbo with a very strong pull.

• You have a 1/5000 chance that the bucket you are currently fishing has a rare fish in it. If your bucket has a rare fish in it that you have not yet caught, you have a 25% chance of hooking said rare, IF it's in your bucket. This is also known by users as a lucky bucket. Chances are, it will be in the first 4 slots, if not the first row, so long as you don't loose any fish. If you loose a lot of fish, it will keep coming back until you do catch it (or you finish the bucket without catching it sweatdrop but anyways), meaning it might possibly not show up until the second row or so.

• LUCKY BUCKET: Is what users call a bucket that has a rare fish in it. It's nothing official, and doesn't really mean anything. There's no way to know that you have one unless you actually catch a rare. It's like saying "Wow, your bucket must be lucky because you just caught a rare!" And, for example, like a surprise party, you don't know you're having one until the moment arrives.

Random facts based on my (old) information
      The information presented below is old and is based on the data gathered here, as such, it should never under any circumstances be taken as strict facts except where otherwise noted (exception made for the March 2012 update).

• The most-caught rare is the Diamondback Lion followed by both the Bass'terd and Tino. Since I've started this thread enough diamonds have been caught to complete a mask. While this information may still be true, it is old and I do not have the time to go through data to actually determine it's validity. As well, even if it could be calculated, the numbers listed here are by far no way the true and actual numbers for ALL rare fish catches, so it may still be invalid.

• The least caught rare is the Rubyback Lion, followed by the Chino. Contrary to popular belief, the Candy striper is NO LONGER the most rare of the rares. See above

• Most rares are caught with a PLUS rod, but not all.

• Most rares are caught with A level bait, but not all. A level F bait is also very common.

• Most rares are caught by regular people just out fishing normally.

• Rare fish cannot be obtained by trading up fish in the Fish Exchange (in Old Man Logan's Shop). The only way to get rare fish is by catching them.

UPDATE MARCH 2012 ->
      Good news everyone! Two updates for this. First, it was discovered that the option to exchange large fish into rare fish was actually always present, but it required 10,000 of a specific kind of large fish per rare. This is even by today's standards still an extreme amount of fish of one kind to have for the average player, so it took many years for this to be found out. The fishing community held a joint effort and tested with 5,000 fish, and was unable to exchange, so this is why it was taught that it was not possible. It was also not possible at the time for the community to gather 10,000 of one kind of large to test it further, despite asking for donations from the entire community.

Now, for the second update. In late 2010 a few of the fishing moderators including, Gaidin, El_Pul, and myself (tiranaki), were asked to help and contribute in developing a much-needed updated for the fishing game. We worked alongside some of Gaia's devs and artists to help them develop an update everyone would enjoy. Part of this updated included changing the amount of large fish needed for the rare exchange. We are very happy to report that the number was changed from 10,000 fish down to 1,000! This makes it far more feasible for the average fisher to obtain rare fish now, so it's something we can all be happy about!

last updated: March 2012

Fashionable Hoarder

Reports of Rare Catches*

*since new fishing version

Click Above!!! To see the website with all the information 3nodding

*reported in TF thread.

Last updated: July 27th, 2008. Rare fish catches will no longer be updated in the database. They are however still being posted, so feel free to peruse the pages of the thread.

Fashionable Hoarder

Made a little link banner if anyone wants to use it
Link to:
[url=http://xrl.us/sqxh][img]http://xrl.us/sqxe[/img][/url]

Gaia Fishing Stats
Rare Fish Mask Count
Want to find out how many fish items people have created? Visit this thread.
Theory on Rare Fish Interested in catching an elusive dawn/dusk rare? Try out this method and let us know if it worked for you!

The Fish Exchange
Wondering what to do with your fish? This sticky will tell you 3nodding
Need Help Deciding Which Rod to Get?
Wondering which rod is best for you? Check out images of all the rods and see for yourself
Fishing for Profit at Durem: An Analytical Approach
Want to make gold from fishing? Read here to find out how.

Fishing Guides:
Fishing Ubersticky
-first thing you should read if you're just starting out! 3nodding
Gaidin's Fishing Guide
-Even more info on everything you need to know, and even things you think you don't need to know. Currently the most in depth guide on fishing.
A Newbies Guide to Fishing Want more info but don't want to read through every little thing? This one should help out.

Filtering Guides
Transcendent's Filtering Guide Keep hearing "filtering" but aren't sure what it is or how it works? This should clear up some doubts.

Bait Guides
Bait degradation? Which bait is better? These guides will tell you all you need to know.
The Bait Guide
Fayt's Bait Guide

Miscellaneous

Would like to thank:

Everyone that has caught a rare and reported it.
Top Fisher's Community for always being on the look out for rares and providing information.
Gaidin for letting me steal his fish information and formatting. whee heart

Juggalobullet2 and Commodore64 for stepping up and helping by scouring the thread and providing me with lists of reported rares.

Remember: This thread is mainly for the most recent rare reports. While older data is always useful, I'd like to collect as much new data as possible, starting from the last fishing update. There is reason to believe that rares have been changed in the game, and part of the purpose of this thread is to find out if that is true.

Professional Noob

Great idea, Naki. heart

I love the idea of putting a suggested price for the fish. It might help settle inflation a bit. *hopeful*

EDIT: Should I fill out the form thingy?

Fashionable Hoarder

3nodding That's the intention.

Personally, I sold my bass'terd for 260k, 300k would have been nice, but 250-300k seemed about right for me. I'd put that as the suggested price, but it'd be nice to see what others that have sold their rares think.

Professional Noob

The rare prices I'm used to are:

Guppa - 250k
Bass'terd - 300k
Candy - 850k

Bino - 100k
Tino - 130k
Chino - 200k-250k

I never pay attention to gembacks, so these are educated guesses:

Diamonds - 850k
Emeralds - 900k
Rubies - 900k-1000k
Cool thread, I hope I can catch a rare someday
So F-bait is a no-no?

Fashionable Hoarder

Thanks Tooky, those prices seem about right to me, we'll see what others say first though.

Nidobolt: That's right, F bait is no-no. Always has been. UNLESS it's A or D level F bait. If it's your first 5 games of the day, and you use F bait, it's ok. After 5 games it has degraded completely to regular F grade and can no longer produce lucky buckets.

IRL Man-Lover

thank you for making this tread 3nodding
My first rare, if it is important for the thread, was a Mutha Guppa. Those prices seem right to me too Tooky. Too bad the Tino sellers out there don't seem to be agreeing with you and I xd

Fashionable Hoarder

ChiJadey
My first rare, if it is important for the thread, was a Mutha Guppa. Those prices seem right to me too Tooky. Too bad the Tino sellers out there don't seem to be agreeing with you and I xd
Yes I know, but I thought that one was before the latest fishing update? That's why I didn't include it.
Changing what SirTooky
The rare prices I'm used to are:

Guppa - 250k
Bass'terd - 300k 1K >.> Nah, 250-300K is about right.
Candy - 850k 800K

Bino - 100k
Tino - 130k 120-125K
Chino - 200k-250k

I never pay attention to gembacks, so these are educated guesses:

Diamonds - 850k 750-800K
Emeralds - 900k 800-850K
Rubies - 900k-1000k 900-950K

Hmm, all personal opinion of course, but yeah. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff