Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lilliana Skye
Hmm, I don't remember if Uvre’ji Trisk mentioned his inspirations (besides the divine, obviously xd ). He'd have to be the one to answer that, I suppose. It feels like there are elements of Spanish to me, but my language knowledge is pretty suspect ^_^

D: ?Estan escriben el espanol? Yo no miro el espanol en la 'Gaiata'. Pero, Gaiata es Latin? O German? hbfdkgfdkgf. No escribo espanol bien >_> Un poco un poco un poco.

Are either of two founders of this thread active?? >_> I've seen their usernames name dropped like insane everywhere. I suspect Latin roots, or Celtic roots. I reallly reallly hope the idea of Gaian mythology has the attention brought back to it like it did in 2006 D; Its so interesting to talk about.

Sparkly Genius

6,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
Griff Morivan
]=[

I still find it amazing that no one mentioned the Demonic Anklets here...

]=[
I remember it being mentioned vaguely, but really by the time that MC was released this place was dead/dying. It does bring up an interesting area of discussion, though ^_^

@Anir of Frize: Well, like I said, my language skills are suspect, so it could have roots in anything for all I know ^_^

I haven't seen them around for a while (except a few pages back), but I haven't been in GCD in forever, and that's where I usually ran into them.

Learned Informer

20,100 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Permit me to quote myself regarding the Demonic Anklets:

Platonix
Meushi
Hajima Hotaru
Has anyone brought up how Eirmehz has a rival brother?
According to the Demonic Anklets, he used them to shackle Eirmehz in the underworld...

Just curious 'cause this thread is still sort of floating in my subscribed list.

EDIT: Yep you did. It's on the next page in... I thought I might have discovered something cool. =/

I was deeply surprised that no one had made mention of it besides me. Not even a converstaion sparked it.

Here's an idea I just now came up with to explain this: perhaps the Ovrui are not the only mortals to transcend their mortality? What if Kaze, in one of his sillier moods, raised a mortal to divinity to act as a rival to Eirmehz; someone Kaze would like a little better? This so-called "brother" (a sibling in spiritual nature only) could have had the mission of usurping Eirmehz as Guide to the Underworld, and managed to get the better of Eirmehz, binding him with the Demonic Anklets. Eirmehz, however, being a far more primal power than any being who was once mortal could be, finally freed himself by infusing his shackles with bits of his own power (thus the not-quite-so-binding Demonic Anklet poses) and went on to annihilate his Kaze-sponsored "brother" (thus why we never hear much about him anymore.)
/back after having read the Book of Markings/...and it probably led to a new Kaze, too... neutral
/back after having read the Book of Tribute/...actually, the addition of a new character might not be necessary. Kaze, oft referred to as Eirmehz' rival, is referred to in III:6:12 as his brother as well; indeed, as "His rival brother". As for the reference to treachery, the whimsy of the free-spirited may sometimes lead to what others might percieve as treachery...
...and it all still has real potential to lead to a new Kaze. xd

As for the roots of Gaiata, I might as well share here an observation I've just made regarding Gaiata as I perused the Dictionary. From what we know to date about the language, it appears to have a 19-letter alphabet. Not only are there no words in the dictionary that begin with B, D, K, Q, or any letter after V, there are no words that even contain most of those letters, and the only words I see that contain a Y are sey, meaning the number 1, and the derivative adjective seyas, meaning 'grouped together as one'.
Granted, this cannot be a complete picture of the Gaiata alphabet, since it renders the names of both of the Apathete impossible to spell. Still, the extreme rarity or possible nonexistance of those eight letters might mean something about the language's origins.

Sparkly Genius

6,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
Oh yeah! That reminds me, Trisk mentioned a pronunciation guide at one point (wow, I'm finding all sorts of nifty stuff I forgot I had):

The alphabet consists of...

A, C, E, F, G, H, I, J, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, U, V.

In pronunciation and phonetic terms, though...

It's more like:

A, C, E, Vh, G, H, I, Zh, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, Oo, V

Learned Informer

20,100 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Lilliana Skye
Oh yeah, Trisk mentioned a pronunciation guide at one point (wow, I'm finding all sorts of nifty stuff I forgot I had):

The alphabet consists of...

A, C, E, F, G, H, I, J, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, U, V.

In pronunciation and phonetic terms, though...

It's more like:

A, C, E, Vh, G, H, I, Zh, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, Oo, V
So, might EirmehZ and KaZe have slightly different names in Gaiata (which would actually be their true names since Gaiata is their language)? And maybe the rare uses of Y were originally I...could Gaiata have been corrupted over the ages by exposure to mortal languages?

Sparkly Genius

6,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
Platonix
So, might EirmehZ and KaZe have slightly different names in Gaiata (which would actually be their true names since Gaiata is their language)? And maybe the rare uses of Y were originally I...could Gaiata have been corrupted over the ages by exposure to mortal languages?
That's entirely possible on both counts (again, I have to post a disclaimer, since I'm not the originator of the language: this is pure speculation on my part). And it makes sense, since the language was given to Trisk by the gods after the language had died out for many years, but obviously the gods themselves are still recognized by the general public in some form, given their use in the MCs descriptions. So the current proper nouns in the language could be the more modern pronunciations while the language itself is in its more archaic form.
]=[

Of this revelation, how would one phonetically pronounce Eirmehz? I've been saying Air-Mez.

]=[

Sparkly Genius

6,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
Probably have to ask Trisk/Seth about that one. I've always considered it a play on Hermes, and pronounced it accordingly (by sort of dropping the 'h'), but I'm probably wrong as usual ^_^

Learned Informer

20,100 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
It's probably useful to note that the word for Eirmehz's followers, "Eirmihtz", is a play on "hermits".
Hmmm..I've been googling up languages all night long in search of some resemblance to this 19 word alphabet you've been describing. I think it may have some roots in the Hebrew Alphabet, primarily because of its resemblance to the 19 tetrominoes. But then that negates your Y and past theory since Z is heavily mentioned.

http://www.virtuescience.com/hebrew-alphabet.html

Omg. Deciphering a language whose roots we don't even know. When Trisk and Seph were translating it, just a questtionn. Did they do a double translation? I suspect that the Gaiata language is written in runes opposed to actual phonetic references. Look at the symbols for the Gods! Those certainly aren't phonetic(nor vocal) but pictorial!

http://www.virtuescience.com/hexagon.html

This also caught my interest as well, though I don't think they contain any reference.

I want to follow the lead to see if the Pantheon Rose or the organization of symbols has any correlation with Gaiata itself. ((I need to keep in mind that English is the first language, presumably, of both Trisk and Seph, so I'll look for any Germanic languages that resemble it. Though with the complexity of translating, I really can't be sure about those two.))
If the alphabet is based off of anything, it's not Latin. Latin's alphabet is as follows:
a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,x
Also, Latin requires no syntax. You can put any word anywhere in the sentence, within reason, or course. Infinitives often come before action verbs.
Latin Sentence:
Marcus in cubiculo est, quod dormit.
Marcus is in the bedroom, because he is sleeping.

Spanish is only missing w and k from their alphabet.
Spanish Sentence:
Marcus es in dormitorio, porque el esta dormiendo.
Marcus is in the bedroom, because he is sleeping.

Using online translators:
German:
Marcus ist im Schlafzimmer, weil er schläft.
French:
Marcus est dans la chambre à coucher, parce qu'il dort.
Italian:
Il Marcus è nella camera da letto, perché dorme.
Dutch:
Marcus is in de slaapkamer, omdat hij slaapt.
Russian:
Маркус находится в спальне, потому что он спит.
Portuguese:
O Marcus está no quarto, porque dorme.

And is there a special alphabet for Gaiata? With unique symbols?

EDIT: I probably should have done a sentence from Gaiata, and then to English, and then to all the other languages... Anyone have a sentence for me to use? We can find out which language has the most similar syntax. surprised
All I can say is that the Gaiata is a derivative of more than one real life language, thats for sure. Lunaris has roots with Luna, or Moon in Latin. You have Kaze, which definitely puts things in and out of perspective if you don't want to include Z. The closest relations I can see are anything related to the English language. Primarily Germanic, thats where I'm trying to identify any resemblances.

No such luck.

So now I'm resorting to 6 'mother words', three of which are the basis of masculine words and three of which are the basis of feminine words. Or one primal feminine and masculine word. I'm selecting some of the words from the dictionary to help me find out the closest, and oldest, things that relate to each God. I want to observe any patterns or repetitions in letters or sounds.
Ais-paceot te Gaita.

That took forever to construct X_X

Learned Informer

20,100 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Heh, this could either help or hurt your efforts, depending on how well I did. I'm not sure. I'm going to offer the first sentence I contructed in Gaiata, one describing my personal belief regarding which of the Veseti I follow. This is what I was doing when I realized the limited alphabet. I'll also include my translation notes.

E Peais, E Nune, E Aette, E Fejo, Pejo, Tavac...Ej alte so-aisse fou aisa-aste a ete he-eco vacerua.

E: The. Reference to a specific object.
Peais: Sun.
Nune: Moon.
Aette: Land. There is another word meaning Earth, but this fits the concept better.
Fejo: Wind or breeze.
Pejo: Fire. At this point in the sentence, use of "the" no longer makes sense.
Tavac: Ice.
Ej: 1st-person singular pronoun. I.
alte: man. Lack of any preceding particle defaults to the general "a man" as opposed to "the man". Lack of any verb between this and the preceding noun, if I understand correctly, defaults to the verb of existance and state of being: is, am, are.
so-aisse: the word aisse is a present conjugation of aiss, which means to trouble. the prefix so- before a verb makes it reflexive. Thus so-aisse = troubles oneself; or, roughly, cares.
fou: about, related to.
aisa-aste: aisa is an adjective meaning equal. The suffix -aste applied to an adjective creates a noun referring to the state of being that adjective. Thus, equality or balance. This would be pronounced aisa'ste.
a: indicates association; means "of" or "with". Usually a suffix, but can be used as its own word when trying to use it as a suffix would be awkward.
ete: plural of E. Refers to a specific group of objects.
he-eco: the word eco means a part, a fragment of a whole. The prefix he- before a noun creates a reference to ALL of that noun, or every example of that noun. Thus, all parts. As with aisa-aste's example, this would be pronounced he'co.
vacerua: vaceru means nature or the natural order. Here we see 'a' in its most common form, as a suffix indicating association with the previous word. Thus, 'he-eco vacerua' translates as 'all the parts of nature', or more roughly, all of the natural elements.

Thus, this sentence translates as the following:

The Sun, The Moon, The Land, The Air, Fire, Ice...I am a man who cares about the balance of all of the elements of nature.
Thanks!
Sentence:
Gaiata: Ej alte so-aisse fou aisa-aste a ete he-eco vacerua.
English: I am a man who cares about the balance of all of the elements of nature.
Spanish: Soy un hombre que tiene interés en el equilibrio de todos los elementos de la naturaleza.
French: Je suis homme qui soigne de l'équilibre de tous les éléments de nature.
German: Ich bin ein Mann, der sich das Gleichgewicht von allen Elementen der Natur sich kummert um.
Italian: Sono uomo che si preoccupa dell'equilibrio di tutti gli elementi di natura.
Dutch: Ik ben een man die om over het evenwicht van alle onderdelen van natuur geeft.
Portuguese: Sou homem que preocupa-se com o equilíbrio de todos os elementos de natureza
Norwegian: Jeg er en mann som seg bekymrer om resten av alle delene av naturen.
Latin: Ego sum vir quisnam blandior super pondera of totus of elementum of vis.

Elements:

Gaiata: E Peais, E Nune, E Aette, E Fejo, Pejo, Tavac
English: The Sun, The Moon, The Land, The Air, Fire, Ice
Spanish: El Sol, La Luna, La Tierra, El Aire, el Fuego, el Hielo
French: Le Soleil, La Lune, La Terre, L'Air, Le Feu, La Glace
German: Die Sonne, Der Mond, Das Land, Die Luft, Feuer, Eis
Italian: Il Sole, La Luna, La Terra, L'Aria, Il Fuoco, Il Ghiaccio
Dutch: De Zon, De Maan, Het Land, De Lucht, Vuur, Ijs
Portuguese: O Sol, A Lua, A Terra, O Ar, Fogo, Gelo
Norwegian: Sola, Månen, Landet, Luften, Brann, Is
Latin: Sol, Luna , Terra , Aer , Incendia , Glacies

Quick Reply