Welcome to Gaia! ::

Visitor count!

+1 0.536 53.6% [ 67 ]
-1 0.016 1.6% [ 2 ]
Negative b plus or minus the square root of b squared minus 4ac all divided by 2a. 0.28 28.0% [ 35 ]
Wait, wasn't that the quadratic formula? 0.168 16.8% [ 21 ]
Total Votes:[ 125 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 175 176 177 > >> >>> »|

A wonderful tradition has taken the GCD by storm these past few years, every February 7-14. I am NOT the original creator, the great Mike2115 usually starts this thing, but he hasn't been on all day. NOR am I an admin of the Bonanza guild (Yes, there's a guild, and no, I can't let you in, since I'm not crew. Don't ask me.), but as no one has posted this all day, someone had to kick this thing off on time. I assure you, at first this seems like it is misplaced, but it is a tradition to begin in the GCD as a discussion of gifts and a way to get the GCD community together over anon-gifting.

Mike explains this a heck of a lot better than I could:
Mike2115

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
The Gift Giving Bonanzaa of '08: AGAIN?! Yes, Again!

Welcome back, GCD. It's been a long year, yet we've got a lot of work to do. As per tradition in the GCD these last three years, I've got my duty to return to you a little event we did last year the week before valentines day, and the year before that, purely by accident. Once more, the GCD can open its hearts and it's inventories to the masses and dole out useless crap to everyone, to both brighten their day and throw out what we don't want.

GCD, I return to you, the
GCD Mysterious Gift Giving Bonanza of '08!

What's that? Some of you can't recall the past two Bonanzas? Never fear, I'll fill you in. There are many names for this event, the Gift Giving Bonanza, GCD Gift Giving, Anonymous Benefactor, and, the ever popular 'give each other crap for no reason' event. Fun times. So, now that you know what we are doing here, you might ask me, "Mike, How is it done?"

Well, in the spirit of the GCDMGGB07, I shall inform you how this goes down. Simply, using the Gift Giving option on items in your inventory, and setting them to "give anonymously", the gifts you decide to give are given out to people you choose and you get to add a little message as well. This gives the possibility of aliases, and other fun stuff like what happened last year and the year before that. Understand? It doesn't need to be anything big, but thats always a bonus for people who need to brighten up their day.

Why do we do this every year? Well, it seems that we're all very tense at times, and we need some charity to brighten ourselves up. So, this little event is organized to help everyone lighten the mood before valentines day in a week. Usually this event just goes straight on until after valentines day, but we'll see how long it lasts this time.

Copied directly from last year, some rules are in order, to make sure things don't get out of control and the mods blame me.

Quote:
-----
Last year, Three Hundred and Sixty Four days ago, the GCD was struck with a simple idea that anyone could have done. Sparked by some mysterious benifactors who were going around, distributing small items just in time for Valentines day, and further charged by the creation of my thread on the subject, a GCDian event was born, and it shall be repeated this year, with hopefully similar (yet saner, and more confined to one topic) results.

A few rules before I get into it, however.

- For one, this is supposed to be an event thing, and like most events, participation isn't necessary. It’s just a chance to spread some before-valentines day love, after all.
- Complaining isn't very helpful, and it just brings the mood down, right? So don't do it, no matter how much you despise the idea of this. If you do despise the event, please see rule one.
- As much as people might want to spread the love to their own topics, It only makes the mods angry about the entire thing and makes them move the threads. As such, I would like to request keeping this in the topic as much as possible. Just so we don't get boxed and all, you know? You can give gifts outside the topic if you want, just don’t post randomly about it.
- Begging and just posting "I gave _ presents and only received _?! WTF" posts aren't appreciated. People don't like feeling obligated to give stuff; they'd rather do it on their own accord. If you have to post something, make it related to the Discussion (see further down).

Now then, for anyone who needs to know how this thing works. Simply, using the Gift Giving option on items in your inventory, and setting them to "give anonymously", the gifts are given out to people you choose and you get to add a little message as well. This gives the possibility of aliases, and other fun stuff like what happened last year. Understand? If not... I'm sorry. o.o

A bit of discussion...

Now then, some of you may be familiar how we did this last year. Anyone remember? Yeah, I recognize a few of you. How do you think it went last year? Think we'll be able to pull it off this year, or have things changed too much and there’s too much stuff going on to do it again this year? But, does that matter if we're willing to try? Think people are too against the idea this year than they were last year, or the GCD security forces (the mods) are going to get mad and remove it? It might happen, you never know... Hopefully it will go over well, but the variables included last year have changed since then. We'll see, we'll see...

Other discussion
- Excited about gift giving's return?
- Willing to Participate?
- Remember Last Year?
- See above discussion paragraph?

So there we go. just keep the gift giving in this topic, show the love, and everyone's happy once again. :3 Be sure to read that discussion, too, and i'll be monitoring this topic now and then when I can get on.

and, for the full backstory of past years, here we have the first post from last year, in it's entirety dispite my repeating myself in the post above (half due to laziness, and the other half due to.... well... laziness).

Quote:
The Gift Giving Bonanzaa of '07: R-R-R-REDUX
-----

Notices
A few shameless advertisements, considering this will be a great spot for free advertising and all.
- Avatar Art for Mike2115, if anyone wants, is greatly appreciated.
- Giving this thread a thumbs up is also greatly appreciated.
- Don't forget who made the topic, remember! He needs gifts too! which are... well... greatly appreciated. [Gatta: PLEASE give to Mike rather than Gatta. She's just filling in.]
- (Edit for 2008 ): Mike2115 is looking for any cash shop items you want to give out. :3 (Chess pieces plz? :3)

-----
The Actual Topic
Last year, Three Hundred and Sixty Four days ago, the GCD was struck with a simple idea that anyone could have done. Sparked by some mysterious benifactors who were going around, distributing small items just in time for Valentines day, and further charged by the creation of my thread on the subject, a GCDian event was born, and it shall be repeated this year, with hopefully similar (yet saner, and more confined to one topic) results.

A few rules before I get into it, however.

- For one, this is supposed to be an event thing, and like most events, participation isn't necessary. It’s just a chance to spread some before-valentines day love, after all.
- Complaining isn't very helpful, and it just brings the mood down, right? So don't do it, no matter how much you despise the idea of this. If you do despise the event, please see rule one.
- As much as people might want to spread the love to their own topics, It only makes the mods angry about the entire thing and makes them move the threads. As such, I would like to request keeping this in the topic as much as possible. Just so we don't get boxed and all, you know? You can give gifts outside the topic if you want, just don’t post randomly about it.
- Begging and just posting "I gave _ presents and only received _?! WTF" posts aren't appreciated. People don't like feeling obligated to give stuff; they'd rather do it on their own accord. If you have to post something, make it related to the Discussion (see further down).

Now then, for anyone who needs to know how this thing works. Simply, using the Gift Giving option on items in your inventory, and setting them to "give anonymously", the gifts are given out to people you choose and you get to add a little message as well. This gives the possibility of aliases, and other fun stuff like what happened last year. Understand? If not... I'm sorry. o.o

A bit of discussion...

Now then, some of you may be familiar how we did this last year. Anyone remember? Yeah, I recognize a few of you. How do you think it went last year? Think we'll be able to pull it off this year, or have things changed too much and there’s too much stuff going on to do it again this year? But, does that matter if we're willing to try? Think people are too against the idea this year than they were last year, or the GCD security forces (the mods) are going to get mad and remove it? It might happen, you never know... Hopefully it will go over well, but the variables included last year have changed since then. We'll see, we'll see...

Other discussion
- Excited about gift giving's return?
- Willing to Participate?
- Remember Last Year?
- See above discussion paragraph?

The post from last year, and a link to the topic, if your interested...

Quote:

A few days ago, The Trash fairy debuted, giving out paper items to random users. Now, something even bigger has happened.

Today, February 12, 2006, In Grunnies Empire, everyone started receiving random items from mysterious benefactors, ranging from the late Johnny K. himself,

(From: An anonymous benefactor

"BWAHAHAHA!" wink

To Rina and other NPCs, with mysterious messages such as Ian saying he wasn't shot to Rufus just barking. O_o;

Asking around, No one admitted to having sent out these items. The items included Jack items, flowers, scarves, and other assorted gifts.

So, ruling out it’s just a random person in the Empire giving out items anonomously, has anyone else experienced this person giving out free gifts to people for no real reason? O-o;

A pre-valentine day valentine, perhaps? Who knows?

Discuss:
Mysterious gifts.
Just someone giving out free stuff, or more than that?
Want one?

EDIT:

Holy moley. It turned into an event. o_o

[Old alias list cut for space.]

And the following quotes also have made a big impact on the thread:

SevenTen
This thread has been officially mod approved! :3

*Hits and breaks a champagne bottle*

Quote:

Ea Kisaki
mike2115

Viva la revolution, as they say! ^(-_-)^

I love you o_o I want to bear your child and raise it with my lesbian lover....when I find one.. =D

- - - - - - - - - - - -
User Image User ImageUser Image
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Skye Ravenwood
I've sent seven and received two.
I really love this. &3

As my friend Zoom said.
"It's like sex. We do it because it makes us feel good inside, not because of love."

Professor-Marina
Everyone take a look here: [X]
I just added this Event! ^_^

This thread also got more publicity outside of the thread, as shown by these threads also in the GCD:
-list removed-

EDIT:

In the Immortal words of Martin Sargent, It seems the GCD is... Infected.
Too many topics about the gifts to count... *sigh*

[img]http://i1.tinypic.com/np50rm.gif[/img]

The Link

Happy gift giving once again, GCD. n_~ Let's make it a safe, fun go like it was last year, and remember... THIS IS THE GCD, SO DISCUSS THE DISCUSSION &&

In proper GCD fashion, as I said last year, be sure to read and discuss the Discussion i posted, even though I just rehashed it from last time. I'd rather you read that then get us boxed, after all! So let the fun rock on, shall we, Mods? After Valentines Day you can move this wherever you like, let's say.

By the way, last year, we all developed the tradition of creating avatars out of only items we received in gifts for the Bonanza. They are the most randomly epic avatars ever. biggrin You don't have to do it, but it's fun!

No TL;DRing. Read it, please. Keep the tradition going and also... HAVE FUN! You'll probably make some excellent new friends in here. And PLEASE, no begging. That is all.

Want to link to us? Use the handy banner, updated from the 2008 Bonanza by Banana Popsikul:
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/detail/47149711/][img]http://i41.tinypic.com/21bmxso.jpg[/img][/url]

[To Mike and the Bonanza Guild Admins: Sorry for starting this thread on my own, but it's 9 PM here, so fairly soon, February 7 will be over and we won't get our week of wonderful anon-gifting done. Don't shoot?]
    User ImageUser Image

I would participate if my trading pass wasn't disabled. User Image
Whoo!

This was so much fun last year! I met the coolest people on here during Bonanza '08! heart
Oh no! Why's it disabled?
citrimax
Whoo!

This was so much fun last year! I met the coolest people on here during Bonanza '08! heart
I know. The Bonanza Guild was one of the few things that kept me on Gaia this summer! biggrin

And to be on topic and set an example, I love to anonymously gift, especially under quirky aliases. And gift avatars are THE BEST. biggrin

Timid Rogue

Ooh, this is just like what happened all during December! heart

I'd be glad to participate.
Gatta Forte
    User ImageUser Image

Well, it happened around Christmas where everyone was gift giving out their bums like crazy. I figured I received either some bad gold or item. I tried to get it fixed, but I was just told I'll have to be patient. I think I'll pop over to a mule and try and fiddle out some gifts though.

Rainbow Fairy

47,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Sounds interesting....I didn't join Gaia until May last year so obviously missed.

I will hang around a bit and see how things go smile
I don't remember this at all. I never seem to be informed of the gift giving crazes.
Maybe I will donate, ya'know if I feel like making a little witty statement to go with it.
This elf remembers this event! 'Twas nice to see lots of gift giving and generosity flying about the GCD!
[Tiff]
Gatta Forte
    User ImageUser Image

Well, it happened around Christmas where everyone was gift giving out their bums like crazy. I figured I received either some bad gold or item. I tried to get it fixed, but I was just told I'll have to be patient. I think I'll pop over to a mule and try and fiddle out some gifts though.
Ah. That sucks. I hope you can find a way to join in, the thread last year hit over 1,000 pages and was amazingly fun.

@Oxymoronic: There were a lot of gifting events last year, I noticed, including the December one. Did you see Summer Santa?

Spooky Phantom

21,500 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
Huh what? That's such a long first post that I didn't get much out of it except, "Hey you! Give people stuff!"
We got GCP'd by Iflana. Well, we started, as usual, in the GCD, but yeah, as Cres said in the guild, it is more of a GCP-esque event. Better than being 'boxed, I say. Thanks for moving it before the storm of "MISPLACED THREAD"s, Iflana!
Sounds like a fun time! Perhaps I can go get some gifts and come back later.
armadillodreamer
Huh what? That's such a long first post that I didn't get much out of it except, "Hey you! Give people stuff!"
Yeah, I just quoted the '08 Bonanza post, which quoted an old Bonanza post. Basically, it says "Hey, anonymous gifting is fun, so are aliases, so join the fun!"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff