Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been raking my brain for quite a while now, trying to think of something constructive to add to this topic but all I can say is that I'm greatly amused by this project and I think it's a great initiative.
I'm particullary interested in seeing just how "friendly" the citizens of Gaia are towards new users.

Since I started, I have only started up two mules - one being a shared guild owner. Being a member of Gaia since Jan 05, I expected a flood of PMs instantly (I had a few when I first started up) but was surprised to find none. This could be because the 'new user' feature wasn't up yet but it also might be that I never made any effort of making my new accounts known (i.e. no posts in the introduction forum, no mention of being new etc. and the chatter box scares me a bit).

In contrast, I made a small agreement with myself when I first joined Gaia and started up my main accout - that I would save all the gold I earned and not spend anything until I could by a kimono and up 'til that point, I wore my pesant clothes.
The reactions I got was rather amusing - after several months, I still had random people dropping in on my conversations or sending me PMs just to call me a "n00b!" without a reason and people trying to explain to me that "you know, you earn gold for every post you make here and you can buy items for them".
If there's anything I've learned on Gaia, it is that your avatar's apperance (and in some cases, your name) determines people's attitude towards you more greatly than you'd expect.
Sometimes even more than your ability to handle the English language.

I'll be following this project, if you don't mind.
^^. Booyah, time to act like a noob in towns!
When i made a new account I also got many random friends request, pms telling me t not be a nOOb, and few that wanted to cyber. I reported those!
XD I was in towns earlier. I acted like a total n00b. I'm still running around there.

Snoddis - Wow. I was hoping for the GTFO NOOB PMs, but I didn't get any. It's okay if you follow the experiment. I'm glad that you are, actually. 3nodding
Drake M. Satan.
Oh my.
That sounds like fun, actually.

Deruku-kun - Thank you. "GTFO"? Don't think I've gotten across that before, what does it stand for?
Snoddis
Drake M. Satan.
Oh my.
That sounds like fun, actually.

Deruku-kun - Thank you. "GTFO"? Don't think I've gotten across that before, what does it stand for?

Get the F*ck out. 3nodding

Drake - I'm out of towns. Too glitchy. D:
Towns wont let me in.
I was just randomly lurking in here and your experiment made me cave and try making an account too.

Some girl gave me a PM with a kiss, and I'm afraid to tell her I'm female. >.>;

Saint Sweetheart

~Vampire Louis~
T y l e n o l.

@Vampire Louis Doubt it. I went into towns once on that account. As soon as I went through the whole, "I'm a girl" thing. She went over to the next guy avatar and asked him if he was a guy.

"r u a boi?"
"yea y"
"cuz that boi is realy a gurl."

She's far too trusting for someone who just tried to hit on a female with a male avatar. gonk You'd think they would realise it means it could be anyone, lying isn't that hard, I could say I'm an emu if I wanted.
Then again there's nothing saying she was a girl. sweatdrop Ah well.

Yup. It's the interweb. She really could've been 40. gonk Well, not that I haven't talked to parents before, but like..a *****. u.u;
Deruku-kun
Get the F*ck out. 3nodding
And they send that to new members? How horrid!
And I thought it was bad enough with those who just comment in threads just to label some users as "ignorant n00bs".
... Really.
Cup of Fruit Punch
I was just randomly lurking in here and your experiment made me cave and try making an account too.

One of us... twisted

xP Just kidding. I'm afraid to tell anybody that I'm a female, it kinda ruins the effect. D:
gonk no one is sending me pms...
If you can't tell their gender from the way the person expresses themself, it shouldn't really matter, right? Or am I being overly naïve now?
This is why I like forums which uses pictures instead of persons as avatars.

Drake M. Satan. - I'll send you one if you'd like. Though, since I know of this project that would kind of ruin the purpose, I fear.
Drake M. Satan.
gonk no one is sending me pms...

Really? That stinks. D:
Well, this IS a 5-day experiment, so who knows what could happen..>>.;
Deruku-kun
Cup of Fruit Punch

One of us... twisted

xP Just kidding. I'm afraid to tell anybody that I'm a female, it kinda ruins the effect. D:
We need evil laughter to go with that, now.

I didn't tell anyone. Just this thread. xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces