Welcome to Gaia! ::

Did you visit thegcw.com?

Yes 0.5 50.0% [ 5 ]
No 0.5 50.0% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 10 ]
1 2 >

Loiterer

User Image

Welcome to the new thread of the GCW - Gaia Comic Website. This site hosts, all on its own, the gaia storyline comic updates in chronological order. The concept was brought to life in 2005, but theGCW.com has been around since November 2006. In fact you can view the original thread here (Please don't bump that! gonk )

Why you should use the GCW

1. It is an easy-to-use interface. The Newsroom is complicated and often out of chronological order.
2. It contains storyline updates that are not in the Newsroom. Best example? Xmas 2004. Gaia's very first "manga" update.
3. In addition to having chapters that aren't in the newsroom at all, there are cases where the GCW has pages of updates that were left out of the newsroom. (Case in point: Return of Gino pt II)

The GCW is an archival site. Since its inception it has proven to be a reliable source for strictly that purpose. It was the first Gaia storyline archive site in existence, and it has remained online for many years. Unlike other sites (that may or may not even exist anymore), The GCW hosts the updates itself, so if Gaia ever deleted pages/comics/images/goes down, the updates will remain on the GCW.

TOC:
1. intro / link to site <-- you're here.
2. current discussion
3. history of gcw
4. Old Site content
5. Stuff.
6. FAQ

Loiterer

CURRENT DISCUSSION

The GCW has been dead for quite some time. I have paid someone to revamp the entire backend, so it can now be updates much more easily and very quickly. So now I am attempting to revive the GCW and get the site back into circulation.

First, if you have used the GCW in the past, some things have changed.
The GCW went back to its origins and ONLY hosts the storyline comics and nothing else. The old content is still available (and linked further in the thread) but I may delete it in the future with no warning.

THE ACTUAL DISCUSSION: MY LAYOUT IS BLANK AND UNFUN. =(
It used to be very colorful and watercolor-y. I've grown tired of that however so right now it's really simple.
If anyone has an ideas on what colors/type of theme to use for the new site, please suggest them!

Loiterer

ABOUT THE GCW
User Image

Welcome to the Gaia thread of the GCW - Gaia Comic Website.

This site hosts, all on it's own, every non-mini Gaia comic ever created by the Admins of Gaia.

A Little History...

The GCW actually only started out as a small site named the GSC: Gaia Storyline Comic, and was hosted on homes.esnav in November 2005. When that host died, I moved it to ketira.net, which is owned by a very nice Gaian user named Ketira.

In November 2006, the GSC moved to a domain name of thegcw.com under the hosting of Gaiacast, an at the time popular gaia-themed podcast site. Here, It gained many features. At one point, The GCW had "GWC" Gaia Weekly comics archive (now known on gaia as mini-comics), "GPS" Gaia Plot Summaries, and "CSA" Comic Slate Archive (blank comics to make editing fancomics easier).

Sometime in late 2006/early 2007, Gaiacast went down and Gaia Online's Newsroom came out. I gave up for a brief while-- Gaia now had its own archive. What use did Gaians have for mine?
After a rather huge hiatus, I did come back. But I did so quietly.

I hosted with 1and1 and have had relatively stable uptime since. One year, a mishap on my end caused thegcw.com domain to expire, and we moved the thegcw.net for a while. Thegcw.com refused to die and came back soonafter. In 2009, I joined the military and couldn't update the site. A very nice gaian user named Delirious maintained it for me while I was gone but eventually she had things come up too.
The GCW as a whole remained un-updated, but still alive, for many years.

In late 2011, I hired a programmer to develop a content management system for the GSC part of the site. Up until this point, an html page existed for every single comic page. This was hundreds of html pages that needed to be updated every. Single. Comic. Update. I didn't understand php and despite attempts at learning, I could never fix this problem on my own. Several months and hundreds of dollars later, the new backend was made and now in 2012 the site is extremely easy to update and takes zero effort at all. I expect this site to keep living on, forever.

Because it took so much effort to update the GSC, I've abandoned all the other projects. Now The GCW will only contain the GSC. What this means is that the GCW is basically now an off-site version of Gaia's newsroom and nothing more.

But why is the GCW different? Easy!

It is an easy-to-use interface. The Newsroom is complicated and often out of chronological order.

It contains storyline updates that are not in the Newsroom. Best example? Xmas 2004. Gaia's very first "manga" update.

In addition to having chapters that aren't in the newsroom at all, there are cases where the GCW has pages of updates that were left out of the newsroom. (Case in point: Return of Gino pt II)

The GCW is an archival site. Since its inception it has proven to be a reliable source for strictly that purpose. It was the first Gaia storyline archive site in existence, and it has remained online for many years. Unlike other sites (that may or may not even exist anymore), The GCW hosts the updates itself, so if Gaia ever deleted pages/comics/images/goes down, the updates will remain on the GCW.

Loiterer

OLD SITE CONTENT

The GCW used to be a landing page for different sites. In the 2012 revival, all of these extra sites have been ditched. Everything is still online, but links may be broken and I may delete them entirely in the future. If you use or plan to use this content, I highly suggest you download it to your own computer and/or re-host.

GWC
Gaia Weekly Comics (now known as mini-comics).
Unfortunately this entire site has already been deleted.

CSA
Comic Slate Archive
This site had comics without speechbubbles and/or dialogue for easy creation of mash-ups. Also hosted other various goodies.

GCDpoints.com
This was a side project. The domain is no longer active but the content is still online. Please note it is a parody and to not be taken seriously AT ALL.
Index page
Quiz page (link's broken on the site)

Gaia Battle!
Original zOMG! launch site.
When zOMG first came out(in beta testing) it was simply called "Battle!". It had its own website similar to Heralds of Chaos. For one reason or another I created a mirror for the beta site. These are all the files saved in a .zip archive. Download the archive, extract the battle folder, view the webpage. Some things are broken but most of it is still intact.
battle.zip

Loiterer

User Image

STUFF

- This thread's a little bare, but I'll pretty it up soon. Just trying to get the word out about the site, now. =)

- Feel free to post! Please pass around The GCW link!

- Feel free to PM me about anything related to the site or this thread.

- Trust me, I'm very approachable!

Loiterer

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What about the stuff before Christmas 2004(storyline-wise)?
Gambino's Christmas Journal was the first semblance of a manga-style update. So it is the first page on the GSC. I do not count the Olympics, trial of Ian, or Halloween 2k4 narratives because they're not comics. They're narratives, and the GSC is for the manga updates only.

When do you update the comics?
As soon as possible. Roughly speaking, the day of or up to two days after they appear on Gaia Online.

I encountered an error on your website! What do I do?!
If the error gives you an actual error page, follow it's instructions.
If it does not give you an actual error page, please post what happened in the thread, PM me, OR email me at help@thegcw.com Just do one of these, not all three. Make sure you include:
(a) where the error happened (what page, and what you were doing)
(b) what the error was (what exactly happened; a screenshot if necessary)
(c) What browser you are using.

Can I become an affiliate of your site?
If you're the Gaiapedia, yes.
Otherwise, no. But if you PM me, I will link to you from this thread.

Why don't you ask for (gold) donations?
Gold doesn't run websites. Gold doesn't pay for hosting or site design or time. This is why I don't ask for donations.
Now, if you want to paypal me donations, that's something alltogether different. PM me for my email. But I am not begging for donations in that form, either, since I am perfectly capable of hosting the site myself.

If you really want to donate (gold/items) to me, feel free! I also greatly enjoy avatar art. But if you are trying to thank me for the GCW, I'd much prefer a post, PM, or email. I always get warm and fuzzy feelings inside when someone comments about how they use this site or how they've missed an update and the site helped them. <3

I have a question/complaint that isn't listed here?
Ask in the thread, PM me, or email me at help@thegcw.com. I am always here. :3 But be patient, I can take a day or two to respond, depending.

MY INBOX(es) ARE ALWAYS OPEN! You can talk to me about ANYTHING!
Please don't be intimidated by me. Even if you think someone has already said it, or you think it's stupid, tell me anyway! I would greatly appreciate it!

Loiterer

Loiterer

Loiterer

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out