Welcome to Gaia! ::

do you practice any other religion whilst practicing as a buddhist?

yes 0.16793893129771 16.8% [ 22 ]
no 0.31297709923664 31.3% [ 41 ]
no i actually dont practice buddhism 0.36641221374046 36.6% [ 48 ]
Jus Count'n Da G's Dawg, Fo Sho!!!!! 0.15267175572519 15.3% [ 20 ]
Total Votes:[ 131 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

2,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
lakshanas
dragontamer363
I'm good for any time at the weekends.

On a friday I have to come home from school at like 5-5.30pm (london time/ Grenich mean time)
And I'm usually around at 9pm.

all day events are better. of course if everyone is online around the same time it's best.
ok well if you can be here around 9:00 pm then those in the midwest can show up at around 4:00pm, eastern at 5:00pm, central 3:00, and western 2. and those that are in any time zone other than those please take a look at the time zone in my previous posts.

9:00 pm London/grenich time is where we will meet in the tea room next friday and every following friday. ^_^ please contact me if there are any conflicts it is still flexible.

I'm so sorry I'm horrible...I totally missed this! crying
question
hiya eveyrone- i just wondered; does anyone have any tips for combatting fidgeting during meditation? I've alwyas been a fidgety persona nd I can't seem to be rid of it - like bits of my body go stiff, I get phlegm and other such dorky things (lol)
Buddhist Scripture

The Pali Cannon
'The Tipitaka (Pali ti, "three," + pitaka, "baskets" wink , or Pali canon, is the collection of primary Pali language texts which form the doctrinal foundation of Theravada Buddhism. The Tipitaka and the paracanonical Pali texts (commentaries, chronicles, etc.) together constitute the complete body of classical Theravada texts.

The Pali canon is a vast body of literature: in English translation the texts add up to thousands of printed pages. Most (but not all) of the Canon has already been published in English over the years. Although only a small fraction of these texts are available on this website, this collection can be a good place to start.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/index.html

---
the Lotus sutra

http://buddhistfaith.tripod.com/purelandscriptures/id12.html [/color

{I came across this website- i hope you'll find it useful}

2,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
That's cool! Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome smile

If anyone's got any more scripture links then I can shove them up on that post too :3
dragontamer363
Buddhist Scripture

The Pali Cannon
'The Tipitaka (Pali ti, "three," + pitaka, "baskets" wink , or Pali canon, is the collection of primary Pali language texts which form the doctrinal foundation of Theravada Buddhism. The Tipitaka and the paracanonical Pali texts (commentaries, chronicles, etc.) together constitute the complete body of classical Theravada texts.

The Pali canon is a vast body of literature: in English translation the texts add up to thousands of printed pages. Most (but not all) of the Canon has already been published in English over the years. Although only a small fraction of these texts are available on this website, this collection can be a good place to start.'

{I came across this website- i hope you'll find it sueful}
awesome, how did you come across that?

i think it would be great if we found some of the other scriptures too, lotus sutas and dharmapadas ect.

im really excited ^_^
YAY!!!! i have amazing news!

the results from the house arenas have gotten back and both homes did really well. both in the top 100.

Title: The Monastary Garden
Score: 8.5095
Total Ratings: 370
Total Comments: 225

Title: The Lotus Temple
Score: 8.5477
Total Ratings: 376
Total Comments: 227

i was actually pretty surprised seince i personaly thought the gardens looked best. but im still excited with how well both did!

i think the best score of the week was a 8.7 something... so it wast pretty close!
I dunno i was googling 'pali cannon' and found it ^^
I can have a go rooting around for the Lotus sutras

And about the gardens etc - awesome! Very nice :3

(btw i'll be away on holiday for a few days- so i'll see you guys later ^^)

lakshanas
dragontamer363
Buddhist Scripture

The Pali Cannon

{I came across this website- i hope you'll find it sueful}
awesome, how did you come across that?

i think it would be great if we found some of the other scriptures too, lotus sutas and dharmapadas ect.

im really excited ^_^

2,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
lakshanas
YAY!!!! i have amazing news!

the results from the house arenas have gotten back and both homes did really well. both in the top 100.

Title: The Monastary Garden
Score: 8.5095
Total Ratings: 370
Total Comments: 225

Title: The Lotus Temple
Score: 8.5477
Total Ratings: 376
Total Comments: 227

i was actually pretty surprised seince i personaly thought the gardens looked best. but im still excited with how well both did!

i think the best score of the week was a 8.7 something... so it wast pretty close!

That's awesome!
dragontamer363
ooh I found the lotus sutra!

http://buddhistfaith.tripod.com/purelandscriptures/id12.html

WOOOO
it has just come to me that this monastary has no precepts, obviously we all pay close attention to the precepts layed before us by sakyamuni buddha. but here in gaia the conditions of life and conciousness are slightly different and i beleive it a good idea to discuss the nature of these differences and create a powerful new list of precepts applicable to out monastary and our actions in towns, the forums and elsewhere.

i think it a good idea to observe the five precepts of the lay, and then the additional precepts of monks. and then decide how they apply to gaian life and what we are to do in concious respect of them.

the initial five precepts:

1. Do not kill
2. Do not Steal
3. Do not indulge in sexual misconduct
4. Do not make false speech
5. Do not take intoxicants.

the additional three

6. to refrain from taking food after midday
7. to abstain from indulging in songs, dances, musics, and shows as well as the use of perfumes and ornaments and cosmetics.
8.to abstain from using a high or luxurious seat or bed.
there is also a need to understand the conditions of the precepts.

Five conditions of panatipata (Killing)

1. The being must be alive.
2. There must be the knowledge that it is a live being.
3. There must be an intention to cause death.
4. An act must be done to cause death.
5. There must be death, as the result of the said act.

Five conditions of Adinnadana (Stealing)

1. The property must be in the possession of another person.
2. There must be the knowledge that the property is in the possession of another person.
3. There must be an intention to steal.
4. There must be an act done to steal.
5. By that act the property must have been taken.

Four conditions to kamesumicchacara (Sexual Misconduct)

1. It must be a man or a woman with whom it is improper to have sexual intercourse.
2. There must be an intention to have such sexual misconduct with such man or woman.
3. There must be an act done to have such intercourse.
4. There must be enjoyment of the contact of the organs.

Four conditions of musavada (Telling lies)

1.The thing said must be untrue.
2. There must be an intention to deceive.
3.There must be an effort made as a result of the said intention.
4. The other must know the meaning of what is said.

Three conditions of taking intoxicant

1. It is intoxicant.
2. There must be an intention to consume.
3. It is consumed.

if all of the conditons of the five precepts are fufilled the precept has been violated.
these precepts are for the "gaian faith" the 'perfect lotus'
Ligier the Green Sun

The Ten Precepts:
  1. I vow to donate gold to those who are questing whenever able
  2. I vow to refrain from keeping more than 50K for myself
  3. I vow to refrain from flaming others, even if they deserve it
  4. I vow to refrain from bumping threads without contributing to the topic
  5. I vow to refrain from stealing from or cheating others
  6. I vow to refrain from over-charging in the Marketplace
  7. I vow to refrain from trolling the forums or otherwise violating the R&G or ToS
  8. I vow to refrain from using my words to turn users against each other
  9. I vow to praise the good works of the admins/devs/artists
  10. I vow to have fun

my alterations to the precepts:

1. do not kill the animals bugs and fish of gaia.
2. do not flame, harass, or otherwise make the stay of another fellow gaian unpleasant in any intentional way.
3. do not steal, hack, or trick another gaian out of gold or items.
4. do not partake in sexual misconduct including cybering.
5. do not speak false truths
6. do not partake in any mind altering substance use. ( i have no idea how this applies to us, but im sure if we discuss it we can figure it out)

the additional three

1. do not indulge in the use of gold, do not accumulate any more amounts of gold than 50k.
2. do not indulge in the adornment of one's avitar.
3. do not indulge in custimized posts and profiles.
4. donate to those who are in need of gold/items when ever possible.

most of the precepts i have written are my own adaptations of the origional precepts. plus a few that are alittle more aplicable to the gaian monk's life.

so yeah tell me what you think.
啊弥陀佛!

Hello everyone what a nice little thread, is everyone Buddhist in here?

I would like to be part of this group, do I PM?

Some information about me:

I live in Canada, my family follows Chinese Buddhism, most likely if you are a Chinese Buddhist you also follow many other traditional Chinese gods (some consider Taoist gods but they
are not). My family worships a bodhisattva called Guan Yin Pusa (Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva). We only worship Buddha at the temples. The closest temple is about 800km from where I live, only been there 2 times.
The only text I have is Ksitigarbha Sutra (Dizang Pusa Benyuanjing), and a bunch of other ones my mom reads.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff