Welcome to Gaia! ::

do you practice any other religion whilst practicing as a buddhist?

yes 0.16793893129771 16.8% [ 22 ]
no 0.31297709923664 31.3% [ 41 ]
no i actually dont practice buddhism 0.36641221374046 36.6% [ 48 ]
Jus Count'n Da G's Dawg, Fo Sho!!!!! 0.15267175572519 15.3% [ 20 ]
Total Votes:[ 131 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

can i join plz im a buddhist in real lfie too ^^
buddist meditate and they pray aout 2 twcie a month in front of a god with seven or eight arms which is buddha( the statque is called "yak" ยา่ก)
you didn;t spell it right -_- ยำ้แ thats how to spell yak cherryblossomgrl
I dunno if it's been suggested yet, but has anyyone thought of organising special parties for the Buddhist holidays?

Here are the dates - they vary year to year becaus ethey're often lunar:

2008:

Parinirvana Day Feb 15th
'Parinirvana Day, or Nirvana Day is a Mahayana Buddhist holiday celebrated in East Asia. By some it is celebrated on 8th of February, but by most on 15th of February. It celebrates the day when the Buddha achieved Parinirvana, or complete Nirvana, upon the death of his physical body.'

Wesak (aka Buddha Day) May 20th
'Vesak (Sinhalese) is the most holy time in the Buddhist calendar. In Indian Mahayana Buddhist traditions, the holiday is known by its Sanskrit equivalent, Vaisakha. The word Vesak itself is the Sinhalese language word for the Pali variation, "Visakha". Vaishākha is the name of the second month of the lunar Hindu calendar. Vesak is also known as Visakah Puja, Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti in India, Bangladesh and Nepal, Visakha Bucha in Thailand, Phat Dan in Vietnam, Waisak in Indonesia, Vesak (Wesak) in Sri Lanka and Malaysia, and Saga Dawa in Tibet. The equivalent festival in Laos is called Vixakha Bouxa and in Myanmar is called Ka-sone-la-pyae meaning Fullmoon Day of Kasone which is also the second month of the Myanmar Calender. Vesak is a public holiday in many Asian countries like Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, and so on.

The exact date of Vesak, informally "Buddha's Birthday," is in the fourth month in the Chinese lunar calendar (typically May), coinciding with the first full moon of that month. The date varies from year to year in the Western Gregorian calendar and actually encompasses the birth, enlightenment Nirvana, and passing (Parinirvana) of Gautama Buddha.
On Vesak day, devout Buddhists and followers alike are expected and requested to assemble in their various temples before dawn for the ceremonial, and honorable, hoisting of the Buddhist flag and the singing of hymns in praise of the holy triple gem: The Buddha, The Dharma (his teachings), and The Sangha (his disciples). Devotees may bring simple offerings of flowers, candles and joss-sticks to lay at the feet of their teacher. These symbolic offerings are to remind followers that just as the beautiful flowers would wither away after a short while and the candles and joss-sticks would soon burn out, so too is life subject to decay and destruction. Devotees are enjoined to make a special effort to refrain from killing of any kind. They are encouraged to partake of vegetarian food for the day. In some countries, notably Sri Lanka, two days are set aside for the celebration of Vesak and all liquor shops and slaughter houses are closed by government decree during the two days. Also birds, insects and animals are released by the thousands in what is known as a 'symbolic act to liberation'; of giving freedom to those who are in captivity, imprisoned, or tortured against their will. Some devout Buddhists will wear a simple white dress and spend the whole day in temples with renewed determination to observe the observance of the Eight Precepts.
Bringing happiness to others
Celebrating Vesak also means making special efforts to bring happiness to the unfortunate like the aged, the handicapped and the sick. To this day, Buddhists will distribute gifts in cash and kind to various charitable homes throughout the country. Vesak is also a time for great joy and happiness, expressed not by pandering to one’s appetites but by concentrating on useful activities such as decorating and illuminating temples, painting and creating exquisite scenes from the life of the Buddha for public dissemination. Devout Buddhists also vie with one another to provide refreshments and vegetarian food to devotees who visit the temple to pay homage to the Blessed One.
Paying homage to the Buddha
Tradition ascribes to the Buddha himself instruction on how to pay him homage. Just before he died, he saw his faithful attendant Ananda, weeping. The Buddha advised him not to weep, but to understand the universal law that all compounded things (including even his own body) must disintegrate. He advised everyone not to cry over the disintegration of the physical body but to regard his teachings (The Dhamma) as their teacher from then on, because only the Dhamma truth is eternal and not subject to the law of change. He also stressed that the way to pay homage to him was not merely by offering flowers, incense, and lights, but by truly and sincerely striving to follow his teachings. This is how devotees are expected to celebrate Vesak: to use the opportunity to reiterate their determination to lead noble lives, to develop their minds, to practise loving-kindness and to bring peace and harmony to humanity.'

Dharma Day July 18
cherryblossomgrl
buddist meditate and they pray aout 2 twcie a month in front of a god with seven or eight arms which is buddha( the statque is called "yak" ยา่ก)

The 8 armed buddha is Namgyalma, one of the 21 taras.

Commonly sung are the "21 praises of Tara" which can be found in a Sadhana to almost any tara practice, mien is found in Rigjed Lhamo of Apong Terton.

Of course, there is 1,000 armed chenrezig which is form the rpactice of Nyung-Ne and he is not a godk but a Buddha.s ee the 8,000 lines of Prajna paramita Sutra, or the Hridaya-Prajna paramita which is shorter.

EDIT: because the he gains the understanding of emptiness, reaching the first bhumi on the grounds.
dragontamer363
I dunno if it's been suggested yet, but has anyyone thought of organising special parties for the Buddhist holidays?

Here are the dates - they vary year to year becaus ethey're often lunar:

Those also vary from tradition to tradition. for example, not everyone practices Monlam, and not everyone has a rains retreat, and so on.
dragontamer363
question
hiya eveyrone- i just wondered; does anyone have any tips for combatting fidgeting during meditation? I've alwyas been a fidgety persona nd I can't seem to be rid of it - like bits of my body go stiff, I get phlegm and other such dorky things (lol)

Try walking meditation, being aware (not absorbed like in sitting/Shamatha.)

If that does not work you have an rlung disorder common in westerners in the prana.

If so, you should find a Lama in the tibetan tradition to teach you 9-round breathing.
Okay, now for my comment -

People should clearly understand this is a virtual monestary, and for fun. people maybe be confused for example, if they see us not following the 300 vows in the vinaya, thinking we are real monastics showing that on Gaia.

Metta,
Sherab
Hi everyone smile
Gawd, it feels like ages since I've posted - I apologise for that; everything's getting hectic with organising for traipsing off to uni soon XD

Anyway; I recently bought myself another Dalai Llama book, as really books are the only way i can get to grips with Buddhist methods and principles from monks/experienced practicioners (with teh exception of here of course). I got 'the path to nirvana', and I'm really having trouble with it. Everything seems so complicated and analytical - and this is a thing i've found in a lot of Buddhist teachings. there seems to be very little way of simplfying things, and I get drowned in all the facts. I know it's menat to be a scientific process of eliminationa dn discovery, but it's getting me down a bit.

Basically my problem is that whereever I look there is no step-by-step process of learning about Buddhism. Like such ideas as the emptiness of all things etc - I get so caught up in just trying to understand what the teachers actually mean that I feel i lose the real meaning behind the tecahing. I get stuck on the genreally anxiety that in reality everything is next-to meaningless (which i know in my heart of hearts not to be true), but because my mind is so confused on that subject, I can't advanmce to the point where it's ok for everything to be 'empty' - i can't find what the knoweledge of emptiness actually means for the way i look at the world or the way the world works and life works. All it seems to do is suck out a bit of hope.
I suppose it's hard for westerners especially since as a general rule they're brought up with the monotheistic all powerful "everyone is very important, unchanging and special" God. So to shake that off only seems to leave a void.

Yet equally i find a lot of hope in the interconnectivity of all things - a beauty in it- but 'emptiness' as a whole still reamins a hard hurdle to cross.

And that's not even starting on teh lack of guides to meditation, or how to move step-by-step through each realisation, as any new student of Buddhism i'm sure would be expected to do. there's not really any websites to help.

I know i'm just moaning really, and I'm sorry for that. But sicne Buddhism has become important to me - i can see the results of its teaching in its students and it's a really positive thing I've never seen in teh students of otehr religions - I wnat to do the best i can. I want to feel good about it, and at the moment i'm getting frustrated with my inability to grasp something important within it, which I can't seem to get a hold of.

Any advice?
dragontamer363
Hi everyone smile
Gawd, it feels like ages since I've posted - I apologise for that; everything's getting hectic with organising for traipsing off to uni soon XD

Anyway; I recently bought myself another Dalai Llama book, as really books are the only way i can get to grips with Buddhist methods and principles from monks/experienced practicioners (with teh exception of here of course). I got 'the path to nirvana', and I'm really having trouble with it. Everything seems so complicated and analytical - and this is a thing i've found in a lot of Buddhist teachings. there seems to be very little way of simplfying things, and I get drowned in all the facts. I know it's menat to be a scientific process of eliminationa dn discovery, but it's getting me down a bit.

Basically my problem is that whereever I look there is no step-by-step process of learning about Buddhism. Like such ideas as the emptiness of all things etc - I get so caught up in just trying to understand what the teachers actually mean that I feel i lose the real meaning behind the tecahing. I get stuck on the genreally anxiety that in reality everything is next-to meaningless (which i know in my heart of hearts not to be true), but because my mind is so confused on that subject, I can't advanmce to the point where it's ok for everything to be 'empty' - i can't find what the knoweledge of emptiness actually means for the way i look at the world or the way the world works and life works. All it seems to do is suck out a bit of hope.
I suppose it's hard for westerners especially since as a general rule they're brought up with the monotheistic all powerful "everyone is very important, unchanging and special" God. So to shake that off only seems to leave a void.

Yet equally i find a lot of hope in the interconnectivity of all things - a beauty in it- but 'emptiness' as a whole still reamins a hard hurdle to cross.

And that's not even starting on teh lack of guides to meditation, or how to move step-by-step through each realisation, as any new student of Buddhism i'm sure would be expected to do. there's not really any websites to help.

I know i'm just moaning really, and I'm sorry for that. But sicne Buddhism has become important to me - i can see the results of its teaching in its students and it's a really positive thing I've never seen in teh students of otehr religions - I wnat to do the best i can. I want to feel good about it, and at the moment i'm getting frustrated with my inability to grasp something important within it, which I can't seem to get a hold of.

Any advice?

First off, it's Dalai Lama. That is the title the Mongolian king gave the 4t"dalai lama" in tibet, he is called Gyelwa Rinpoche.

Second, there is no guided path without a teacher.

If you like books by HH 14th dalai lama, then you might also be interested in Lam Rim meditations - as for the analytical aprt, Buddhism is just that.

Second, "emptiness" itself refers to tjhe innate nature of all things on an ABSOLUTE plane - enlightened mind - and not on the "relative" level of us humans, where things are real, and appear - but absolutely, they are void.
_Kill_Garou_
dragontamer363
Hi everyone smile

Any advice?

First off, it's Dalai Lama. That is the title the Mongolian king gave the 4t"dalai lama" in tibet, he is called Gyelwa Rinpoche.

Second, there is no guided path without a teacher.

If you like books by HH 14th dalai lama, then you might also be interested in Lam Rim meditations - as for the analytical aprt, Buddhism is just that.

Second, "emptiness" itself refers to tjhe innate nature of all things on an ABSOLUTE plane - enlightened mind - and not on the "relative" level of us humans, where things are real, and appear - but absolutely, they are void.

As for teh analytical part- I like that. But even non-spiritual science has a base level and an advanced level. It's all very well saying that i need a tecaher, but quite frankly one isn't available in my area - and judgeing by all the information i can get they won't be any time soon.
I just don't wnat to miss out and confuse it- that's all
: D heart -amituofo- lol you guys are very confusing you make it sound so confusing

I have some Buddhist music But I do not know if I am allowed to let you download it or whatever...gotta read the ToS

EDIT---

1.(Nawuamituofo)-南無阿弥陀佛-

Very slow music/prayer. Not a download btw. Brahma prayer.

2.(Nawuamituofo)-南無阿弥陀佛-

Shi Fu Yu Da Zhong (sung by the teacher and the chior) PART A

PART B HERE:http://down.goodweb.cn/web/d01/nwamtf_shi_xiaopengyou.mp3

Shi Fu Yu Xiao Peng You (sung by the teacher and the children)
lol

I thinksometimes when you try and study it it see-saws between clear as a bell and simple and confusing lol
Hey group, it has been a while i have had a busy summer sorry i havent been very active, but i have renewed my hope for the monastary.

I want to know what you guys think the monastary should get involved with in order for our members to have a better experience togather, and find that path we all hope to take our first step towards future.

i definately enjoy the discussions and find them very important to our sense of community as a group. But what else can we do as a group to continue the community out side of the discussion?
lakshanas
Hey group, it has been a while i have had a busy summer sorry i havent been very active, but i have renewed my hope for the monastary.

I want to know what you guys think the monastary should get involved with in order for our members to have a better experience togather, and find that path we all hope to take our first step towards future.

i definately enjoy the discussions and find them very important to our sense of community as a group. But what else can we do as a group to continue the community out side of the discussion?

Well I still maintain that we should ideally make this into a guild - not only does it provide a greater clarity in different topics of discussion, but also provides a fairly solid base form which we can organise things and display links to events and scriptures/articles etc. Plus as a more solid foundation a guild usualy encorages people to join more.

Maybe we could have more vents for everyone - eg host mini contests in the games; Buddhist related treasure hunts (in other words you get a list of items that in some way relate to a Buddhist story/figure and then have a little race to see who can collect them all first. having doen that, the items are pooled together and donated to New/poor Gaians.); more events.
But in the end discussion will always be the foundation of it smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces