Welcome to Gaia! ::

do you practice any other religion whilst practicing as a buddhist?

yes 0.16793893129771 16.8% [ 22 ]
no 0.31297709923664 31.3% [ 41 ]
no i actually dont practice buddhism 0.36641221374046 36.6% [ 48 ]
Jus Count'n Da G's Dawg, Fo Sho!!!!! 0.15267175572519 15.3% [ 20 ]
Total Votes:[ 131 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

-THE GAIAN BUDDHIST MONASTERY!!!!-

User Image

The Gaian Buddhist Monastery is a place for those with an affinity and interest in gathering the Buddhists of Gaia together to practice in towns and elsewhere in Gaia.

In the monastery friends can join together to learn how to apply The steps of the Noble Eightfold Path (
Right Understanding, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration.) And come to understand more fully the Four Noble Truths, ( Life is suffering, this suffering has a cause, which is ignorance, this ignorance can be overcome and extinguished, the Way to overcome this ignorance is by following the eight fold path..)

This Guild is for the conversation and contemplation of all things Buddha

Welcome and have a great time ^_^.

-These are the temporary and still debatable precepts, please speak out if you feel a revision is nessecary. -

1. do not make the stay of a fellow gaian unpleasant in any way.

2. do not steal, hack, or use codes, programs, scripts or bots that would give you an unfair advantage above your fellow gaians.

3. do not partake in sexual misconduct.

4. do not speak false truths. (lies build, and are very detrimental)

5. do not partake in any mind altering or intoxicating situation, or substance. (an unclean mind in Gaia is an unclean mind in real life.)

-the additional Monastic Precepts -

1. Respect the "lives" of the living creatures of Gaia. (loving kindness always)

2. do not indulge in the over adornment of one's avitar. (avoid attachment to beauty)

3. do not place yourself above any one & do not judge the place of others. (there is no ego, avoid arrogance)

4. donate to those who are in need of gold/items when ever possible.
User Image

Buddhism upholds the virtues of benevolence, perseverance, self-discipline, and charity. On a deeper level, Buddhism is a philosophy, a way of life, and the cultivation of one’s mind. In fact, Buddhists believe that harmony stems from the mind.

Buddhism is not a faith of idolatry but, rather, encourages free thought. It is more than a religion and goes beyond rituals and traditions. Buddhism is a profound philosophy discovered and taught by the Buddha over 2,600 years ago. It explains life and the world we live in.

The three truths of existence are dukkha, anicca, and anatta – suffering, impermanence, and the absence of an eternal self. According to Buddhist teachings, no phenomenon in this world is permanent or real. There is no permanent self or "soul", for human beings are constantly changing under the influence of our surroundings and actions. Our minds are deluded to the true nature of the world, however, and we still try to hold onto our thoughts, bodies, wealth, and other earthly possessions. Trapped in the samsara of lives and deaths, with our attachment to these fleeting things, we suffer. Thus, the cause of suffering is the unenlightened mind.

These realities can also be summarized by the Four Noble Truths:

1. Life is suffering
2. The cause of suffering is attachment
3. The cessation of suffering is attainable
4. The path to the cessation of suffering

Besides addressing the truths of our existence, the Four Noble Truths reminds us that we are all capable of ending life’s sufferings and escaping from the cycle of birth and death (Third Noble Truth). The Fourth Noble Truth identifies the way to do this, as taught by the Buddha. It shows us the path to realize the potential we each have within to attain the highest level of spiritual liberation.
What is this path? The Buddha referred to it as The Eightfold Path, which is:

1. Right Understanding
2. Right Thought
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration
User Image
User Image

This is the list of our humble members:

lakshanas
Monastery Founder

Hi, I my name is Jeff, and I am a recent convert to Zen buddhism, though i havnt made a habbit of regular meditation. I am 19 years old, I study Fine arts in aims to be a sculptor at the College For Creative Studies in Detroit Michigan. I have always been concious of my buddha nature seince I can remember thinking, even back when i had no idea what buddha nature was, I have studied Taoism and Buddhism seince my sophmore year in high school. I decided to convert (unofficialy) just a few months ago after my art history class covered the anchient art of the Buddhism in India. I have aspirations of becoming a well spoken and well known sculptor but we will see.

D!SH

I am 18, and for my whole life I've been atheist. Its not because I rebelled against some religion that I was forced into, it was that I hadn't found what I was looking for yet. Then out of curiosity I stumbled across Buddhism. Becoming more intrigued with everything I read, I started to meditate and follow the eightfold path. There is nothing more peaceful than listening to the music of a bamboo flute, while the rain patters against the window... ah so poetic. I don't believe that I am in a specific category of Buddhism, no fancy titles for me. I am just a Buddhist.

DarkWings_Israfel

Kigeko

I've been a member of Gaia since late December of 2003, so near the beginning, but I have not been very active until this past year. I am 19 years old, and a sophmore at a local community college in my area. My REAL name is Beth. I am new in my walk in Buddhism, and am still trying to learn the basic principles, but for years I have always had a great interested in the religion, and after in depth study decided that I would like to follow in it myself. Although I am new in my walk, I believe the sect that I would follow would be Mahayana.

Peace Love And Skate

I'm Skyler, I'm almost 15, still pretty young. I'm not really any denomination yet, I'm still in a very experimental phase. I've been researching eastern religion for some time now, when Buddhism just kinda struck me. I'm completely fascinated by it, and hope to continue my research. I'm not really sure what I plan to do with my life. I hope to attend college, but past that I'm not really sure.

dragontamer363

Hiya, my name is Leanne – I’m 18 and I’m from England. My dream is to be a fantasy/sci-fi author and next year I’m planning to study history at university. I love drawing (especially manga), writing prose and poetry, role-playing and rock music. I would call myself a ‘discovering’ Buddhist, since I’m still very early on my path to learning and following this great religion. I think the sect closest to the one I am is Therevada with maybe influences of Tibetan Buddhism.I was brought up in a catholic family but never really felt at home in Christianity, nor any religion that followed a god. But I didn’t believe in nothing – instead it’s more of a sort of energy- a fate if you will. A while back I had a really strong feeling of peace and interconnectivity, and I suppose I’ve been chasing that feeling – it was...right. I researched Buddhism and found that it talked to a lot of what I believe of the world – and still does. I find it very challenging yet truthful and in many respects almost childishly pure. Not weighed down by dogma or threats of damnation of salvation. It is all up to you and motivated by the loyalty to your fellow sentient beings. Heck, since I’ve started following it I find myself getting upset at trapped flies! Lol
My aim for the future religiously is not necessarily to achieve nirvana – I’m not ready to leave this world anytime soon – but instead I want to become a better person- more compassionate, peaceful and wise, and in tune with the natural heartbeat of the world.

User Image

In a quite corner of the Barton town resides the peaceful Lotus Temple. Each room uniquely decorated and set in a calming ambiance, one’s mind can’t help but to clear and the body to relax. Some say there isn’t a more beautiful place is all of Barton, but we invite you to experience it for yourself. Visit our prestigious monastery to meet new people, enjoy the surroundings, or to learn more on what our little group is about.

User Image

Click on the room you wish to visit:

(1) Tea Room
User Image

(2) The Dinning Hall
User Image

(3) The Gardens
User Image

(4) Lotus Temple
User Image
User Image

A list of the activities the monastery holds, which lists the times, events, and which room it will be held in:

Tea with the Queen

Every Friday at 12:00 GST, you are invited to join us for a spot of tea. This event isn't anything important, it is more so just a time to hang out and get to know the other members of the monastery. It will take place in the Tea Room.

Ceremony for Taking Refuge under the Buddha

A ceremony for people who wish to take refuge under the Buddha to officially become a Buddhist. Each ceremony takes place in the Lotus Temple on Saturdays. This ceremony is done on request and is not preformed every Saturday. If you wish to take part in the ceremony please PM either lakshanas or D!SH.

Meditation Sessions

Classes on meditation emphasize the need for inward concentration and purification of the mind. They are held all the time throughout the lotus temple. So keep an eye out for one. Students learn to refine various meditation methods, such as seated meditation and walking meditation.

User Image
User Image

If you have a quote that you would like to add, feel free to PM lakshanas or D!SH and share your inspiration with everyone.

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us the universe - a part of limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts, and feelings, as something separated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to afection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free outselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.
- Albert Einstein

How does this effect my Buddhist practice?
It doesn't.
These reported events are like an arrow shot at my heart but it lands at my feet. I choose not to bend over, pick it up, and stab myself with it.
- From an online discussion group.
Forgot to note the writer

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
- Unknown

User Image
User Image

These actually performed and mentally performed light offerings, the manifestations of one's own innate awareness, Dharmakaya, these clouds of offerings equalling the infinite sky, I am offering to all the gurus and Three Sublime Ones, and to the statues, stupas and scriptures, which are the guru. We have accumulated infinite merit by having generated bodhicitta, by having made charity to the sentient beings, and by making the actual light offerings to the gurus, Triple Gem and holy objects of the ten directions.

Due to this merit, may whoever I promised to pray for and whoever prays to me, whose name I have received to pray for--principally servants, benefactors and disciples, then all the remainder migrator beings living and dead--may the rays of the light of the five wisdoms completely purify all their degenerate vows of samaya right now.

May all the sufferings of the evil gone realms be ceased right now.
May all the three realms of samsara be empty right now.
May all the impure minds and their obscurations be purified.
May all impure appearances be purified.
May the five holy bodies and wisdom spontaneously arise.
horray! welcome everyone, enjoy yourself. ^_^

links to significant posts:

-The Buddhist Book Club

-Scriptures & Sutras

-Breif explaination of the ordainment process
ahhh.... silly me, I create the Tea with the Queen event and I completely forgot to show for the first one... sweatdrop Shame on me so forgetfull...
i missed it too.... shame on me as well.
i have a pritty big question, its not something with a correct answer or anything, but more of an opinion or observation.

What dose it mean to be buddhist, or what dose buddhism itself mean?
What an odd, poll... razz very awesome though! ^_^

Anyways, as for an answer to your question, I believe the buddhism it's self is a choice one has made to live in a very balanced and peaceful manner. I feel that there is not only one right way to live, hence why people turn to certain religions. Buddhism in particular is one with no consequence. Religions such as christianity has punishments such as hell if you do not follow the teachings, therefore one will follow it out of fear of going to hell. whereas buddhism has a goal of reaching enlightenment, therefore one will follow with a longing to better improve themselves.
lakshanas
i have a pritty big question, its not something with a correct answer or anything, but more of an opinion or observation.

What dose it mean to be buddhist, or what dose buddhism itself mean?

to me:

buddhism is life, everything that involves living is buddhism. From the sensations of scratchy eyes waking up in the morning to the leaf blowing by the window. buddhism isnt a religion based on meditation and channeling chakra energy. its about breathing and taking every single step one would normaly take even if one wasnt a buddhist and never taking it for granted. buddhism is an awareness of the world, and openness to everything an openness to everything's lessons, because everything has its lessons burried some where inside of it. buddhism is about being happy, being good to one's self and showing it. seeing not just beleiving, but seeing.

buddhism is experienceing life as if everysingle moment in one's life is a musical note leading to the next, while each note is resonating in ones memory for eternity.

when the leaf blows by the window a buddhist sees it. sees the leaf and the wind working in its brilliant harmony. a harmony that echoes into thier body and bellows right through them then bounces off the wall behind them and slides through them again.

buddhism is experience. buddhism is experienceing everything in an embrace each moment at a time, one after another, and being fufilled with that embrace each time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff