Welcome to Gaia! ::

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
NOTICE - The three lists are now closed to names, pets and stories! Go to the Guild to enter the festival area! Please note that the guild is set to public, so no one needs to join the guild to post in it!

The Guild = http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewforum.php?f=899873

User Image
User Image

x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx╋━━━━━━ { ` W E L C O M E }

x

________________________________________________________________

x

Welcome to the Fifth Annual Gaian Bon Festival! My name is Hannah Yeager, and I used to run this festival with my two old accounts, Joseph Paul and Lorelei Yeager. Though the names have changed, the tradition of welcoming the dead to the world of the living still remains strong.

If you have any questions about the festival, please read all the posts on the front page before PMing Hannah Yeager. While I will answer your questions, reading the rules may give you your answer.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx___` layout by ( xx SPARK ) +

x

xxxxxUser Image

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

{ ` o1 } xxx Introduction
                                                  { ` o2 } xxx Table of Contents
                                                  { ` o3 } xxx News
                                                  { ` o4 } xxx What is Bon?
                                                  { ` o5 } xxx Thread Rules
                                                  { ` o6 } xxx Shopping Rules
                                                  { ` o7 } xxx List of the Dead
                                                  { ` o8 } xxx Stories of the Dead
                                                  { ` o9 } xxx Saint Francis of Assisi's List
                                                  { ` 1o } xxx Dress Code
                                                  { ` 11 } xxx Tickets
                                                  { ` 12 } xxx White List
                                                  { ` 13 } xxx Black List
                                                  { ` 14 } xxx Links In
                                                  { ` 15 } xxx Links Out
                                                  { ` 16 } xxx Reserved
                                                  { ` 17 } xxx Open

x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxUser Image

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

╋━━━━━━ { ` May, 13, 2o1o }
xxxxxThread being set up! Please do not post until I am finished!
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  ╋━━━━━━ { ` May 13, 2o1o }
                                                  xxxxxThis thread is open for users! Banners and tickets are still being made. Come on in, talk, and relax!
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  ╋━━━━━━ { ` May 13, 2o1o }
                                                  xxxxxWe have our first Vendor for the Bon Festival! Please give your regards to phoenixbasilisk and visit her joint profile store!
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  ╋━━━━━━ { ` May, 16, 2o1o }
                                                  xxxxxI have the Admission Ticket and Vendor's Pass made. Because the festival is free, please take a ticket for the festival!
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  ╋━━━━━━ { ` May 17, 2o1o }
                                                  xxxxxBanners have been made to advertise the festival. If you wish to advertise, take a banner and place it in your signature.
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  ╋━━━━━━ { ` May 24, 2o1o }
                                                  xxxxxWe have our second Vendor for the Bon Festival! Please give your regards to Marix V and visit his mood stone shop!
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  ╋━━━━━━ { ` May 25, 2o1o }
                                                  xxxxxAnother vendor is added to the list. Please visit Lil Cute Stranger and her pixel food shop, Dot's Diner.
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  ╋━━━━━━ { ` May 27, 2o1o }
                                                  xxxxxA fourth vendor is added to the list. Please visit broken_angel and her avatar edit shop, Living Avatars! Edit Branch.
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  ╋━━━━━━ { ` June 2o, 2o1o }
                                                  xxxxxA fifth vendor has been added to the list of vendors. Please welcome Kaju_Inu and his breedable/changing pet shop! Also, we have someone creating floating paper lanterns for the festival! whee
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  xxxxxSorry for not updating quite a bit. Life has been happening. I have our guild set up and ready to go. The thread has been updated and revamped, so check the new rules out. Also, questions can now be PMed to Hannah Yeager.
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  xxxxxWe have another vendor for the festival! Please give a warm welcome to Aryvane and her doll shop!
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  ╋━━━━━━ { ` June 21, 2o1o }
                                                  xxxxxWe have another vendor for the festival! Please give a warm welcome to Ninja_Maiden and her avatar edit shop! I will also be taking applications for moderators during the Bon Festival. If you wish to be considered, please PM Hannah Yeager with your request.
                                                  xxxxx
                                                  ╋━━━━━━ { ` June 21, 2o1o }
                                                  xxxxxTwo moderators in the guild have been added. Please listen to Ninja_Maiden and broken_angel. Failure to do so can result from a warning to a ban. I still need more moderators for the festival. If you wish to be considered, please PM Hannah Yeager with your request.

xxxxx
╋━━━━━━ { ` July 18, 2o1o }
xxxxxPlease welcome our newest vendor, Aiko Afriel and her shop Moonsilver Fan & Metalworks!
xxxxx
╋━━━━━━ { ` July 21, 2o1o }
xxxxxPlease welcome our newest vendor, Saftey-Pin-Kisses and her Bon-themed art!
xxxxx
╋━━━━━━ { ` July 25, 2o1o }
xxxxxImportant update on Bon Festival Attire has been made. Please read the new update!

x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxUser Image

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

According to Wikipedia:
                                                  Bon
                                                  Obon, or just Bon, is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the departed (deceased) spirits of one's ancestors. This Buddhist custom has evolved into a family reunion holiday during which people return to ancestral family places and visit and clean their ancestors' graves, and when the spirits of ancestors are supposed to revisit the household altars. It has been celebrated in Japan for more than 500 years and traditionally includes a dance, known as Bon-Odori.

The festival of Obon lasts for three days; however its starting date varies within different regions of Japan. When the lunar calendar was changed to the Gregorian calendar at the beginning of the Meiji era, the localities in Japan reacted differently and this resulted in three different times of Obon. "Shichigatsu Bon" (Bon in July) is based on the solar calendar and is celebrated around 15 July in areas such as Tokyo, Yokohama and the Tohoku region. "Hachigatsu Bon" (Bon in August) is based on the solar calendar, is celebrated around the 15th of August and is the most commonly celebrated time. "Kyu Bon" (Old Bon) is celebrated on the 15th day of the seventh month of the lunar calendar, and so differs each year. "Kyu Bon" is celebrated in areas like the northern part of the Kantō region, Chūgoku, Shikoku, and the Southwestern islands. These three days are not listed as public holidays but it is customary that people are given leave.

Obon shares some similarities with the predominantly Mexican observance of el Día de los Muertos, such as customs involving family reunion and care of ancestors' grave sites.

Obon is a shortened form of Ullambana. It is Sanskrit for "hanging upside down" and implies great suffering. The Japanese believe they should ameliorate the suffering of the "Urabanna".

Bon Odori originates from the story of Maha Maudgalyayana (Mokuren), a disciple of the Buddha, who used his supernatural powers to look upon his deceased mother. He discovered she had fallen into the Realm of Hungry Ghosts and was suffering. Greatly disturbed, he went to the Buddha and asked how he could release his mother from this realm. Buddha instructed him to make offerings to the many Buddhist monks who had just completed their summer retreat, on the fifteenth day of the seventh month. The disciple did this and, thus, saw his mother's release. He also began to see the true nature of her past unselfishness and the many sacrifices that she had made for him. The disciple, happy because of his mother's release and grateful for his mother's kindness, danced with joy. From this dance of joy comes Bon Odori or "Bon Dance", a time in which ancestors and their sacrifices are remembered and appreciated.

As Obon occurs in the heat of the summer, participants traditionally wear yukata, or light cotton kimonos. Many Obon celebrations include a huge carnival with rides, games, and summer festival food like watermelon.

The festival ends with Toro Nagashi, or the floating of lanterns. Paper lanterns are illuminated and then floated down rivers symbolically signaling the ancestral spirits' return to the world of the dead. This ceremony usually culminates in a fireworks display.

This year, we are going to try something different. Instead of having "Shichigatsu Bon" or Bon in July, we will be celebrating "Hachigatsu Bon" or Bon in August. This new date is experimental, so any comments and/or feedback about keeping Bon in July or August are welcome.

x

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule oo } YOU MUST READ ALL THESE RULES! THERE IS NO FAQ SECTION! FAILURE TO DO SO WILL MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A FOOL! IF YOU STILL HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE PM HANNAH YEAGER AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP!

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o1 }
                                                  Obey all of Gaia's Rules! This includes the Terms of Service, Rules & Guidelines, the rules of the Gaia Community Discussion Forum, and the rules of the Gaia Community Projects forum.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o2 } DO NOT quote anything on the front page! I don't care what your excuse is, don't do it!

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o3 } DO NOT PM me for any reason other than asking a question, adding a name to the List of the Dead, a story for Stories of the Dead, and a pet's name for the St. Francis' Section.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o4 } THERE WILL BE NO BASHING, FLAMING, OR MOCKING OF ANYONE'S DEAD FAMILY, FRIENDS, PETS, AND/OR THEIR STORIES! DOING SO IS AN AUTOMATIC BAN FROM THE FESTIVAL AND YOU BEING OFFERED TO THE DECEASED'S FIRENDS/FAMILY! If they kill you for the insult, it's not my problem.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o5 } I don't care how much you love your Katana, whips, swords, staffs, pitchforks, etc. ALL weapons are banned during the festival. The only exception is if the weapon has a jewelry option. Even then, the weapon must be worn as jewelry and can not be taken off and/or used as a weapon.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o6 } If you wish to add a friend and/or family member's name to the List of the Dead, please PM Hannah Yeager with the following information...

Person's Name - Relationship to you.

If you need an example, please look below:

Barbara Ann Yeager - Mother to Hannah Yeager

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o7 } If you wish to add a story about a deceased loved one, please PM Hannah Yeager using the following format below. You may enter more than one story, but two stories total are your limit.

[LIST] [*][b]Person's Name:[/b]
                                                  [*] [b]Relationship to You:[/b]
                                                  [*] [b]Story/Stories:[/b][/LIST]

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o8 } If you wish to add a pet's name to the St. Francis List, please PM Hannah Yeager using the following format below.

Pet's Name - Type of Pet - Owner's Name.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o9 } To be admitted into the festival, you must show your ticket upon entering the guild. The festival is free, so all you have to do is copy the code of the ticket and put it in your signature and/or your first post when being admitted into the festival area.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule 1o } Vendors will receive a special Vendor's Pass if they choose to sell something at the festival. This doubles as the right to sell a specific item and an entrance ticket. If I catch you stealing a vendor's pass, you will be banned from the festival.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule 11 } I will not stop anyone if they decide to hold a Kimono/Yukata Raffle. Please remember that if you join one, I am not accountable for the outcome. If a user or users make an attempt to scam anyone, report him or her to a moderator. I will cooperate with the moderators should I recieve a PM.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule 12 } The festival area is located in a guild. It is set to public, so no one needs to join the guild to post in the guild. A link to the guild will be posted on the day of the festival.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule 13 } Yes, there is a dress code. Yes, you must follow it. If you do not, I reserve the right to deny you entrance into the festival area.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule 14 } Rules about shopping will be added in the post below. All users are required to follow vendors' rules during the festival.

x

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o1 } All items that vendors sell must obey the rules stated by Gaia Online.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o2 } All vendors will receive a Vendor's Pass. This doubles as the vendor's entrance ticket and his/her right to sell any limited items. Theft of a Vendor's Pass will get you kicked out of the festival.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o3 } All items being sold must have a Bon festival theme. This can include floating paper lanterns, fans, summer-themed items, etc.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o4 } All vendors keep 100% of their profits. I, Hannah Yeager, take 0% from them.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o5 } Within a vendor's thread, he/she is GOD! That means everyone must obey the vendor's rules within his/her thread and follow their ordering rules. If the vendor tells you to post an order in the thread, you MUST do that. If the vendor asks you to PM an order, you MUST do that as well. If I get a complaint that someone didn't receive an item, and the vendor tells me the person didn't follow his/her rules. I'm going to side with the vendor.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o6 } Vendors may set up their shop within the shopping sub-forum of the festival guild and make ordering rules as they see fit. I will not interfere because I believe a vendor knows how to run a shop better than me.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o7 } All vendors will recieve a 24 to 48 hour notice on August 11, 2o1o to set up their shops within the guild. If you cannot do so within that limited amount of time, please contact Hannah Yeager via the PM System so something can be worked out.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o8 } If you decide to sell freebies during the three days of the festival, and I did not give you a vendor's pass beforehand, you will not recieve one. However, you may still sell freebies within the Bon Shopping sub-forum of the festival guild.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule o9 } I will need a vendor to sell floating paper lanterns for the Toro Nagashi Ceremony. If you are interested in selling some, please post in this thread and/or let me know via the PM System.

╋━━━━━━ { ` Rule 1o } If a moderator PMs me saying a vendor is selling stolen goods, I will not stop the moderator from warning/banning you. You will also be banned from selling anything at another Bon Festival.

x

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

Below is the list of honored guests who will be visiting us from the land of the dead. Remember, if you wish to add a loved one to this list, please PM Hannah Yeager. Another thing to note is that I am not just accepting family members, but friends who have died as well.

x

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Barbara Ann Yeager - Mother to Hannah Yeager

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Joseph Francis Furio - Grandfather to Hannah Yeager

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Sue - Mother to Kaju_Inu

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Alva Daniel Haston & Lola Lee Miller Haston - Grandparents of Linda Haston Ely

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Otto Carl Zeiss & Elizabeta Wilhelmina Caroline Meyer Zeiss - Grandparents of Linda Haston Ely

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Franklin Delano Haston - Uncle of Linda Haston Ely

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Herman Carl Zeiss - husband of Tokuko Tokiyama Zeiss & Uncle to Linda Haston Ely

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image James Arvin - grandfather of juiletneko

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image John Hess - grandfather of juiletneko

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Walter Martin - uncle of juiletneko

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Helen Martin - aunt of juiletneko

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Kenny Chaffin - spouse's cousin of juiletneko

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Larry Morrish - Grandfather to Lil Cute Stranger

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Reserved

x

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

Below are some stories/memories of deceased friends and family. Please remember that if you wish to add a story to this section, please PM Hannah Yeager.

xxxxxxxxx

Reseved

xxxxxxxxx

Reserved

xxxxxxxxx

Reserved

xxxxxxxxx

Reserved

xxxxxxxxx

Reserved

x

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

Below is the list of deceased pets who have gone into the care of St. Francis or Assisi, the parton saint of animals. Please remember that if you wish to include your pet on the list, PM Hannah Yeager.

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Abigail (Abby) Haston Ely - Pet, companion, and matchmaker to Linda Haston Ely and Mike Ely

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Kudo - Hampster of Malcolm

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Scampers - rabbit of juiletneko

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Charolet - cat of juiletneko

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Freddy Kruger - Hamster of ` i H e a r t __

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Perrito - Goldfish of Bucati

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Ukyo - Koi of Bucati

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Pansy - Cat of Bucati

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image Cosmos - Cat of Lil Cute Stranger

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image

x

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

xxxxx
                                                  Like the previous Bon Festivals, there will be a dress code enforced. They are divided into three catagories. Prefered, Acceptable, and Banned. Please look at all the following links to see what falls into each catagory. Prefered and acceptable are the type of dress worn at the festival. Banned items are not welcome. If you wear any banned items, I will ask you to change your clothes.

Prefered

Acceptable

Banned

There is a new rule concerning the addition of the Short Kimono in Global Imports. These short Kimono ARE allowed to be worn during the festival. However, YOU MUST WEAR LEGGINGS, WHICH ARE SOLD IN GAMBINO OUTFITERS, UNDER THE KIMONO! The leggings are only two gold, so you should be able to buy them. If you do not have leggings under your short kimono, I will deny you entrance into the festival.

x

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

User Image

[URL=http://tinyurl.com/2f3v2wr][IMG]http://tinyurl.com/2cwvr9n[/IMG][/url]

x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                  User Image

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ( All the vendors} • For taking time to make a limited while running their own personal shops! Thank you guys so much! heart heart heart

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ( None } • reason

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ( None} • reason

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ( None} • reason

xxxxxxxxxxUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ( None } • reason

x

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

x

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

[URL=http://tinyurl.com/2f3v2wr][img]http://tinyurl.com/3afbrzk[/img][/URL]

[URL=http://tinyurl.com/2f3v2wr][img]http://tinyurl.com/2upds42[/img][/URL]

x

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

x

User Image

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/mini-shops/t.9049159_1/][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/elfangel/Metalworks/msmwfwnagintasm.gif[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/2v8mhqq][img]http://tinyurl.com/32w2juc[/img][/url]

User Image

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=15042535][img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Ninja_Maiden/business banners/branchbanner-mini.png[/img][/url]

User Image

[URL=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.59835253][IMG]http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt308/rockleeleafnaruto1/Gaian Bumps/Banners/Zypher Halls/ZH2.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/b2g5ek][IMG]http://tinyurl.com/46df4m[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.40051863/][img]http://tinyurl.com/49jo6z[/img][/url]

[url=http://dots.eclectic-blue.com][IMG]http://tinyurl.com/9hta25[/IMG][/url]

User Image

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/mini-shops/get-in-the-mood-open/t.47446925/]
                                                  [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Vallance/Orbs/get.jpg[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://bit.ly/bXaIGu][img]http://bit.ly/cRCrMc[/img][/url]

x

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas