1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37 38 39 > >>

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
User Image

Welcome To The Daffodil Movement 2011!

Welcome to this year's Daffodil Movement for Cancer Awareness! This movement was originally brought
to Gaia in support of Long Vo (aka VO, art director and admin here on Gaia) whose father died from cancer in 2006.
The original spirit of the movement was to show some love to someone going through a hard time.
That tradition continues. What we are "about", if you want to sum it up, is taking a month to show support
for others that have been affected, in a small or big way.

The event takes place the whole month of April. (Cancer Awareness Month) Equip a daffodil bouquet
on your avatar to participate! That's all you have to do. But we have
some other great and fun things to join in on! Read on to find out more.
(Note: Please read all of the front page and especially the FAQ before posting a question about the event!)

PS. we've found that the Deluxe variety of bouquet is very glitchy. It's not recommended and
we don't like giving them out to people so try to make/donate another kind.

We are now on Facebook! Though I am mildly Facebook illiterate (honestly it kinda scares me), the young'uns tell me it's good for getting the word out. (I'm not 80. I'm 22.) There will be mass broadcasts there.
Go there and friend Daf Mule! Wooo!

Welcome
Rules
Contests
Teams
FAQ
Guild Map
The Yellow Wall
Turn TDM
Affiliates
Banners

User Image

-----------------------------------------------&User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
This year the decorations for the thread were done by participators in TDM both past and present. Headers by euphorya.

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
User Image
User Image

►Follow Gaia's ToS
►Do not quote any large blocks of text, such as any of the posts on the front page of the main thread or a team's thread.
►Please read the FAQs before asking a question. That way we can be sure that we have plenty of time to answer any unusual or specific questions, instead of answering the same common ones over and over.
►Contacting Blaize/crew: We are likely to be very busy around this time. Not only do we have to organize many things here at once, virtually all of TDM's staff is in college or high school. For us, April not only means TDM, it means term papers and exams. Questions and Yellow Wall entries will have priority over any art or banners you send, or affiliate/Turn TDM requests. Please be patient with us.
►Be supportive of one another! Try to get along.
►And most importantly, strive for positivity. I encourage you to share your stories and feelings concerning cancer, cancer awareness, and the like, but this will not be a pity-party. Many people may be going through cancer themselves or seeing someone they love dealing with it. We’re here to hope for the best. heart

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
User Image

User Image
Guild banner contest

Make a banner for the guild! Submit a 200x40 pixel banner to Blaizekit to enter. No limit on entries. All entries will be added to the random images that show up for the guild banner, but only two will win gold.

Contest Ends: April 29
First Place prize: TBD
Runner-up: TBD

User Image

Team Spirit

This is TDM's most important contest and where teams really become a factor. throughout the event, whichever group has the most enthusiasm will win for their cause a real-life donation of at least 10 US dollars. (It's usually more than that, but, just to be safe... can never underestimate my brokeness.) If I can’t find a way to donate directly to the cause, I’ll submit a general donation to ACS. Of course, you are welcome to make donations of your own. blaugh
So get out there and show your team spirit!! This will be done through the guild, where you can chat with your team, organize get-togethers, and post your art/avis/and photos.

The spirit contest is based on how organized and enthusiastic your team is. There are a lot of ways a team shows their spirit. They take the initiative to recruit more people, hold their own contests, and organize meetings in Towns and basically act as if they genuinely care about awareness of their type.

If you'd like to know where I think your team stands, or what you can do to improve your standings, you can ask me via PM and I'd be glad to share what I think so far.

User Image
Tektek

Make a tektek in your team's colors.

The best from each team (and sometimes runners-up) will win.

The prize: At least 20k. It may be more depending on donations.

Dates: The tektek contest will open April 20 and will be closed for entries April 29.

Where to send entries: PM them to Blaizekit. Entries posted in the thread or entries sent before the contest is officially open will be ignored.

User Image
Video Contest

Make a slideshow-type video about the event using one of the songs on TDM's profile page or something else you find that fits the mood of the video. It can be funny, inspirational, moving, whatever.

You could make something focused on your team with lots of screencaps, in which case it could be big bonus points toward the team spirit contest. Or, you can make it about the event in a wider sense and the things we do around Gaia. You can use screencaps, video capture, your own IRL video or photos, artwork, etc. It's okay to use some stuff you found on the internet or whatever, but use anything unoriginal sparingly.

This contest may be entered individually or as a team. If your team enters one, you can still enter an individual one yourself. All entries will be put into a playlist on the mule's VJ. :3

To enter, send a link to your video (video must be in a form that can work in Gaia VJ) via PM to The Daffodil Movement. They will be added to the playlist and the guild will vote for the winner. Do not send your entry before the contest opens or it will not be counted. I find it hard to believe that you could make a video about TDM if it's just started.

The prize: At least 300k for best vid, may be prizes for runners up as well

Contest opens: April 27
Contest ends: May 3

User Image

Nartian Raffle

This will be a part of the TDM Farewell Party that will be held at the end of the month. This will be a formalwear event where we basically get together and have this raffle and say goodbye. A thread for the party will be made in the guild, but we are going to try to also have everyone party in real time in zOMG. In theory, it will be able to handle more people and not crash constantly like last year when we tried to do it in Towns.

We will meet around the fountain in Barton Town on the same server and hopefully all manage to be there. If not we'll work something out.

There will be many prizes being raffled off, including the final grand prize of Nartian Rock. The other prizes will be whatever people donate for the event. If you would like to donate a prize for the raffle, send a trade to Blaizekit labeled "Raffle". This will keep the items separate from the general donations sent to TDM.

Date: TBD

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
User Image

Like the teams you see at relays in real life, teams in TDM are intended to pump up the excitement with some good-natured competition.
In our case, teams are based off of different types of cancer.

Many of the activities revolve around teams. At the end of the event, the team deemed "most spirited" will win a real-life donation for their cause.

To join a team, all you have to do is go to its HQ and ask to join. Your team's Captain may have specific rules for joining, like a keyword to make sure you read the rules or a stand-out text they might want you to post in, so look out for those.

If you have no preference, might I suggest picking a team that needs more members? :3

Click on the ribbons to visit each teams' Headquarters.

> Team Cervical

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Captain: Kichigo Suri User Image
Team Colors: Teal and white

> Team Breast

Captain: Aquatic Pisces User Image
Team Color: Pink

> Team Kidney

Captain: Symbolon
Team Color: Green

> Team Lung

Captain: Eggfish
Team Color: Clear

> Team Pancreatic

Captain: Shakespearean Squirrel User Image
Team Color: Purple

> Team Brain

Captain: Evil A User Image
Team Color: Grey

> Team Leukemia

Captain: Faebella User Image
Team Color: Orange

> Team Colon User Image

Captain: Rannchan User Image
Team Color: Dark Blue

> Team Melanoma

Captain: Mrs_S_Snape User Image
Team Color: Black

> Team Lymphoma

Captain: Keynir User Image
Team Color: Lime Green

> Team Childhood

Captain: Hikari_Namikaze111 User Image
Team Color: Gold

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
User Image

User Image►Where do I send my entry for the Tektek contest?
PM them to Blaizekit. Entries posted in the thread or entries sent before the contest is officially open will be ignored.

►Do individuals send in their Tektek entries, or is it one entry for every team?
Individuals enter. The best from each team will win a prize. Sometimes there will also be runners-up, depending on the number of entries and the closeness of the judging.

►Can I be on more than one team?
You are welcome to post whatever ribbons you want in your signature or around the site to show your support. However, when it comes to official teams, you have to pick just one. This is especially important for the spirit contest. You can only follow your team's events.

►How do I join a team? What do I have to do for my team?
It's not all that scary. All you have to do is post in the HQ of the team you want, saying you want to join. The thread might have a special procedure for joining, so look out for that. Tada! You have a team. Depending on what your team's Captain wants to do, there might be events or contests that your team is doing. None of these are required for membership. They're just for fun! The important thing is just to support your team with a whole heart. Put its ribbon in your signature. Dress up in your team colors. The team that's deemed the most spirited wins a real-life donation for that type of cancer, so shake those pom-poms!

►Do I have to be on a team to be a part of the Movement?
No. You don't even have to post in the thread. The most important thing about the Movement is making the cause visible. All you really need to do to be a full-fledged participator is to wear the bouquet and point our way if anyone asks about it. (:

►I want to help the Movement. Where do I send my gold, items, and daffodils?
Donations should be sent to The Daffodil Movement, our mule. Donations of gold help us give better prizes in the contests, and yellow items give the mule something cool to wear. (Items are sold at the end of the Movement to go toward next year.) Please do not send us daffodils unless they are already made into a bouquet. It is too expensive and time-consuming for us to turn hundreds of daffodils into bouquets by ourselves. We'd rather use our gold pool for prizes, so please only donate bouquets. (: single daffodils will be donated to Old Pete's Dumpster Dive.

►I wanna show my support by wearing a daffodil bouquet during the whole month of April, but can't make or buy one. What's this about free bouquets?
You're in luck! Many generous Gaians have donated daffodil bouquets to us, so that we may pass them along to whoever needs one. To request a bouquet, just send a labeled trade to The Daffodil Movement.

►Do I have to wear a *yellow* daffodil bouquet?
No. You can wear whatever color you want.

►Why can't (insert name of cancer here) be a team?
There are a few teams we have every year, but generally, the teams change from one year to the next. That's because I would like to keep the number of teams to 10-11 each year, but still want to give exposure to all kinds. So, the teams rotate. Please don't try to invent your own team. The team threads you see were made by officially chosen Captains who spent a lot of time and hard work to make their threads. If you want to captain a team, you'll have to wait until next year.

►Can I be a Team Captain?
Team Captains are chosen in March. They build their threads and are trained in their duties so to be ready for April. You'll probably have to wait until next year, unless the captain of your team resigns and decides to pass the torch to you. But, if you're serious enough about it to wait a year, you'll probably be a shoe in. Keep in touch with the guild occasionally throughout the year.

Still confused? Visit the Q&A thread.

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
User Image
User Image
The TDM Guild is where the bulk of the event happens.
This list explains the functions of different parts of the guild and links to threads of interest.

>Main forum
Where we keep basic TDM info
Cancer Awareness Ribbons Thread
Art of TDM Collected Over The Years
Cancer Links and Resources
The Yellow Wall
Ribbon Petition/Affiliates list
Q&A about TDM

>Events Board
Where people get the word out about events they're holding.
Events Directory

>Team Threads Forum
Where teams have their home base to meet up at. Threads in this forum can only be OP'ed by designated Team Captains.

>Articles/Cancer in the Media
Where we share stories of interest to the community.

>Memorials
Where users make threads dedicated to honoring people they want to remember.

>Chat Forum
Random, off-topic, anything really chat.

>Archives
This is where old threads are moved year after year. Kept in this forum in order to pass along ideas to future teams, and to show off everyone's hard work.

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
User Image

User Image

This is where we honor those that survived, those that did not, and those still fighting. To submit a name for the Yellow Wall, send a PM to the event mule with their name. If you want their name to be linked to an entry in TDM’s journal, send a personalized dedication along too. It can be a letter to them, their story, a memory about them, anything you like. (please specify at the beginning of your PM that you would like for the story to be added to the journal.)

Our Wall has become so massive that it now has its own thread. You can visit it in its entirety by clicking the link below.

The Yellow Wall

Click the link below to view the archive of personalized dedications.

The Daffodil Movement's Journal

If you would prefer to tell someone's story yourself, in a way that will always be open for editing or expansion,
you can make a thread for them in the Memorials Forum.

Memorials Forum

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
User Image

User Image

►Turn TDM! Daffodilify (yes I just made up that word) your thread in support of cancer awareness. Whether it's a charity, quest, artshop, or whatever, you can decorate it with daffodils or stuff related to your team. We'll put your banner here, in this post, so that everyone can see your lovely work!

If you would like to participate, send a PM to Blaizekit labeled "I want to turn TDM!" and include a link to your thread, as well as a banner I can put here. No banners taller than 200px 'kay.

Thanks all of you for helping us get the word out about Cancer Awareness month and TDM!

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
User Image
User Image

►If you would like to affiliate with the Daffodil Movement, send a PM request to Blaizekit labeled "Affiliation Request". Send your banner and take any of ours that you like below. Your banner will be placed here, in a thread on the home forum of the guild.

Affiliates will be checked occasionally for alive-ness and they will also be posted in by our mule when TDM is coming up.

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
User Image
Stuff to getcha here.

Note about banners: if you don't use these, make sure your signatures follow Gaia's size guidelines. Also be aware that you should not put any banners in your post style that have links attached to them (attaching links in your signature is ok.) A lot of people put things in their sigs and posts for TDM. We get kind of big sometimes, so let's not make life harder for Gaia's lovely moderaters alright? (:

User Image
[url=][img]http://tinyurl.com/dg9hsp[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=][img]http://tinyurl.com/czzjqf[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=][img]http://tinyurl.com/cv9y6h[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=][img]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh267/Anemita/Other/DAFFO.png[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=][img]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u273/PuddingCow/TDM-Banner1.jpg[/img][/url]

User Image
[url=][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/camowing/Gaia/gaia-banner-daffodilmovement002.gif[/img][/url]

[url=][img]http://i41.tinypic.com/vfxxy8.png[/img][/url]

User Image

[URL=][img]http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z69/GGDiris/TDMban.png[/img][/URL]

Shy Borg

16,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
TDM's Fundraising Minishoppe

Several nice Gaians have offered up their services to raise funds for TDM. Check out some of it, see if it strikes your fancy^^ Be sure to follow each person's guidelines.

And if you want to be an artist for supporting the Movement, but you don't have your own minishop thread, you can join the collab art shop.

Ð α ƒ ƒ σ ∂ į ℓ ℓ y: TDM's official collab artshop; owned by Hikari_Namikaze. If you'd like to sell art to help the Movement, but you don't have your own shop, post in this thread to see about joining the ranks

Other Shops Helping Us:

(If you'd like to throw your hat in to the mix, post in here and I'll link to your shop. biggrin )

Coloring Lineart For Cheap: Owned by Arashi Erina. She will color lineart for you with beautiful detail. heart
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces