Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Consumer

7,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
I'm sure we've all noticed the rampant inflation that's seized the market since Flynn's Booty was released. Even before this, many were concerned about the inflation that was rising with little being done to combat it. Items have doubled and tripled in price, the price of components, loot, and fish has quadrupled and more! Our marketplace is bloated with too much gold, and ultimately the inflation is going to rise past the ability of any new player to tackle. I had even considered leaving Gaia fully after the way many things have been handled lately, and have begun the transition to a very interesting site called SoliaOnline, which reminds me a great deal of Gaia's early days. But I can't bear to fully give up on Gaia, it's been too important to me for too long, so I've decided to still hang around to a degree, in the hopes that it will show some improvement.

Didn't the admins just adress that in the updates?

Don't get me wrong. Gaia has been making moves to address this issue, though their efforts don't seem to be having much affect as of yet, particularly when there is the added gold from Flynn's Booty to be considered. They have established Dernier Cri, which sells high end items between 1,000,000 and 10,000,000 gold. This acts as a gold sink to remove gold from the economy, thus making each bit of gold worth a tiny bit more whenever someone buys from the store. The problem with this is that too few people buy the items from the store instead of the MP or the exchange. They have also established the event gold sink, designed to removed 10,000,000,000 from the market. It is certainly a large step in the right direction, but it's issue is that it came about at the same time as Flynn's Booty, ultimately making the gesture hardly meaningful as even more gold is pumped into the market than is removed.

So how do I propose to change any of this, or "save" the economy?

If we consider the major weakness of the store Dernier Cri, the conclusion is that not enough people are sinking their gold there. It's cheaper to go to the MP or the Exchange to buy the same items. I suggest that we pledge to buy items from Dernier Cri, and remove gold from the market. It doesn't matter if we sell the items, or if we're buying them for keeps or hoards.

Won't that make us lose gold though?

Yes, to a degree. Items are less expensive in the exchange than they are buying them from the shops. Pledging to buy items from Dernier Cri means that either you will pay more to buy an item you're questing, or you will lose gold when you resell it on the MP. I personally consider the loss to be easily replaced, and ultimately worthwhile to remove millions of gold from the marketplace with each purchase. You simply have to ask yourself if you feel strongly enough about the inflation problem to lose a little gold to help balance it.

How do I pledge?

To take the pledge, simply post in the thread with the number of items and time frame for your pledge, and we will add you to the Pledge List! When you go to buy the item, post it to the thread so that we can update your pledge..

What if I don't have enough to take the Dernier Cri Pledge?

If you can't afford the Dernier Cri Pledge, or just want to do both, please take our secondary Shops Pledge. Please, pledge to not buy shops items in the marketplace. Buy them from their shops, even if it costs a little more, and help us remove some extra gold. Remember, small progress is still progress!

If anyone would care to help me make this page more clear and maybe make it more colorful and pretty, that would be greatly appreciated. I know that I'm not the most coherent person in the world, and often cause some confusion as to the meaning of my words.

Anxious Consumer

7,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
Dernier Cri Pledge List

DarknessByDay - Pledges to purchase 5 items from Dernier Cri by November 1, 2013. - Pink Sugar Mini Angel Wings (10/20), Peachy Scarf (10/20), Brennivin's Belt (10/21), Red Devil Tail (10/24).

ReneeDeLaGee - Pledges to purchase Lumina Shroud, Merlin's Hat, Royal Tyrian Raiment, Gloriana's Valenciennes Lace, and Gloriana's Chantilly Lace from Dernier Cri as she can afford them - still questing.

Anxious Consumer

7,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
Shops Pledge

These are the people who have pledged to buy shop items from the shop, instead of in the MP. The items may cost a little more, but the impact will add up!

1. DarknessByDay
2. Laladri
3. NynaeveSilverwind

Anxious Consumer

7,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
TOTAL GOLD SUNK!

18,141,414 gold!

Anxious Consumer

7,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Star

Sounds like a great idea, but I don't think many people will go for it, sadly.

Anxious Consumer

7,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
That Theater Nerd

It only takes a few. Every item purchased from Dernier Cri is millions of gold out of the MP. Consider. Say we get 5 people to pledge to buy something from DC at 3,000,000 once per month, whether to sell or keep. In one month, that's 15,000,000 gold out of the economy, with minimal losses to those buying. In a year, that's 180,000,000 gold removed completely from the economy. That's FIVE people.

Star

DarknessByDay
That Theater Nerd

It only takes a few. Every item purchased from Dernier Cri is millions of gold out of the MP. Consider. Say we get 5 people to pledge to buy something from DC at 3,000,000 once per month, whether to sell or keep. In one month, that's 15,000,000 gold out of the economy, with minimal losses to those buying. In a year, that's 180,000,000 gold removed completely from the economy. That's FIVE people.

Yeah, but 3mil a month is a LOT. That would probably require G Cash to get all that gold.

Anxious Consumer

7,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
That Theater Nerd
DarknessByDay
That Theater Nerd

Yeah, but 3mil a month is a LOT. That would probably require G Cash to get all that gold.

You only have to start with 3mil. Reselling the item on the MP or buying it from the shop INSTEAD of the MP means that you are only losing around 100k. Yes, you lose 100k, but that's easy to make up in a day or two playing ZOMG, fishing, vending, in Towns, etc. You don't need to buy GC to get it. I can usually take my account from 500k to 3M in 4-5 days without spending any RL money. I personally consider it worth the loss of a few hundred thousand a month to try to bring the inflation under control.

Anxious Consumer

7,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

bromeme's Oppa

Wheezing Sex Symbol

11,525 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
so..you want... people to buy from the shop even if they resell it in the mp?

Anxious Consumer

7,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
laladri

Yes, because if you buy an item from Dernier Cri, or any other gold shop, that gold is removed from the economy. If you buy it from the MP, that gold is still a part of the Gaia economy, you've just given it to someone else. The premise of this pledge is that by removing gold entirely from the economy by sinking it into the stores ultimately there will be less gold in the economy, making gold worth more, and prices will drop again. Buying from the shop to resell will ultimately cost you some gold, since the items sell for less in the MP, but the upside is that you will have made a small step toward helping to control the inflation.

bromeme's Oppa

Wheezing Sex Symbol

11,525 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
DarknessByDay
laladri

Yes, because if you buy an item from Dernier Cri, or any other gold shop, that gold is removed from the economy. If you buy it from the MP, that gold is still a part of the Gaia economy, you've just given it to someone else. The premise of this pledge is that by removing gold entirely from the economy by sinking it into the stores ultimately there will be less gold in the economy, making gold worth more, and prices will drop again. Buying from the shop to resell will ultimately cost you some gold, since the items sell for less in the MP, but the upside is that you will have made a small step toward helping to control the inflation.

well frick i bought the peachy scarf in the store but i didn't take a screen shot.
at least i know i helped out though~ 4laugh

Anxious Consumer

7,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
laladri
DarknessByDay
laladri

well frick i bought the peachy scarf in the store but i didn't take a screen shot.

Awesome! Thanks for your support! Would you like to take the Shops Pledge? It's just a pledge that whenever you go to buy something that's available in the shops, you will buy it from the shops instead of the MP.

bromeme's Oppa

Wheezing Sex Symbol

11,525 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
DarknessByDay
laladri
DarknessByDay
laladri

Awesome! Thanks for your support! Would you like to take the Shops Pledge? It's just a pledge that whenever you go to buy something that's available in the shops, you will buy it from the shops instead of the MP.

yes! i am more than willing to do anything i can to help give the economy a little boost.
i've always wanted more than 3 mil but not in this way. gonk

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces