Yes, I have/know someone with autism. 0.39285714285714 39.3% [ 22 ]
No 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
I've heard of it, but don't know much about it. 0.125 12.5% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 56 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21 22 > >>

Shameless Hoarder

Graceangel
Beautiful Grotesque
Ok, I am almost caught up with responding to people, but now it is time for me to sleep. A new question will be up tomorrow smile

hey! i see the autism peep bunny i made for you for last year's event! biggrin glad to see you liked it and are still using it..

and hey... i'm gonna plug something really quick right here. if it's ok?

ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SUPPORT AUTISM AWARESNESS: monday, april 2nd... is world autism awareness day,and autism speaks was trying to spearhead a small movement that they did last year on the same day. It's called LIGHT IT UP BLUE. You put a blue light bulb in your porch light, apartment outside light, or somewhere so when it gets night out; we let our blues shine all night long. Lots of major corporations and buildings are lighting up blue.

I myself put one in last year, and now we only ever use the blue bulbs. XD

Yeah, I found it when I was looking for my other Autism stuff from last year and I didn't know who did it due to the fact that I was silly enough to not save your name with it as well when I did save it. >.<

And sure, I think I read something about that a couple of days ago. I wonder which city buildings are going to light up blue again this year...

Shameless Hoarder

All caught up now =D

Versatile Model

You're doin' the thread again this year! Yaaaay! I'll post my (updated) story when I'm feeling less lazy, and I'll definitely enter the avi and Tektek contests. I even already prepared my avi the other day--it's a revamp of last year's. 3nodding

As far as my story goes, I'll probably just skip the first part of my life and go straight to how life's been for me since last year. Most of you guys know that stuff, and if not, you can always ask for the details.

Also, I'll see if I can get my boyfriend to be ACTIVE in here. He hates Gaia, but he knows this is always a special thing for me, so maybe he'll make an exception. <3

Shameless Hoarder

RustyRobot
You're doin' the thread again this year! Yaaaay! I'll post my (updated) story when I'm feeling less lazy, and I'll definitely enter the avi and Tektek contests. I even already prepared my avi the other day--it's a revamp of last year's. 3nodding

As far as my story goes, I'll probably just skip the first part of my life and go straight to how life's been for me since last year. Most of you guys know that stuff, and if not, you can always ask for the details.

Also, I'll see if I can get my boyfriend to be ACTIVE in here. He hates Gaia, but he knows this is always a special thing for me, so maybe he'll make an exception. <3

Yay! Rusty! I was sure if you'd notice my updated status so I thought I would send you a pm instead. biggrin

Versatile Model

Beautiful Grotesque
RustyRobot

Yay! Rusty! I was sure if you'd notice my updated status so I thought I would send you a pm instead. biggrin

No, I didn't see your status, so thanks! The PM was quite helpful. ^^

Versatile Model

Beautiful Grotesque

There are two contests in this section. The 1st is a tektek made with the colours that are represented on the ribbon for Autism. No price limit is in place. The 2nd is an avatar made the with colours for Autism that your avatar MUST wear for a period of 1.5 weeks to be considered for the contest. The colours for Autism, if you don't already know, is RAINBOW! So lets make our outfits as colourful as possible. ^_^
So quote this post with the contest you are entering and post an image of your avatar/tektek. heart

There is an entry fee for these two contests. The fee is 1k. So if you make a place between 4-10, you'll get your entry fee back.

1st Tektek in Autism Colours
Starts 1st April - Ends 25th April
Voting takes place for the winner between the 25th and 30th April.

1st place receives 50k
2nd place receives 20k
3rd place receives 10k
The remaining top 10 avatars (if we get that many), receives 1k each.

2nd Avatar must be dressed in Autism Colours
Starts 1st April - Ends 25th April
Voting takes place for the winner between the 25th and 30th April.

1st place receives 50k
2nd place receives 20k
3rd place receives 10k
The remaining top 10 avatars (if we get that many), receives 1k each.

As of this post, I'd like to enter my current avatar into the avatar contest.
I'll enter the Tektek one sometime this week (I'll post when I do). *sends trade*

Sexy Kitten

26,075 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Married 100
Clickie User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Here!!
User Image
User Image

yum_puddi
lol xD
I love rainbows and now that I know that rainbow is the color for autism I thought it'd be nice to show support with it
glad you find it eye catching :3

User Image
User Image

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
well for now; i'm dressed in blue... till tuesday

Magical Explorer

5,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Rainbows for Autism! Yay!

Winner

7,900 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
  • Beta Contributor 0
Beautiful Grotesque
-Kizuki Liz-
Got a friend with this illness.. made me think of her! :')
Very nice thread. smile

L.

Thanks! Is your friend on Gaia? Or if she isn't, would you like to share a story of your experiences with her? smile

Sadly, she don't use Gaia.
But sure i can talk of her a bit! ^^

We dont meet much tho, cuz she dont feel comfortable near other ppl (tho, in msn she sounds like any other person).
She loves very much music and animals. But when she talks of other ppl, that she dont like, she will go psycho and nearly always describes me how she wanna murder them slowly and painfully.
She has thrown a knife towars her dad.

When she wanted to go to a concert, where she knew she obviously cant go to, cuz she'll just attack the ppl around her, she drunk so much that she wouldnt remember the ppl too much.
She ended up in a hospital.

When we meet she only hugs me cuz she knows i like it, she says she gets very mad inside for a moment when she does it.
Almost any contact to other ppl makes her mad, and she can act very unexpected then.
But she never attacked me, tho she warns me nearly always we meet.

She is a great listener, and she always offers great solutions for my problems.
Shes mostly serious, and hardly ever jokes about anything.
I find her personality very unique (maybe its the illness what makes it so) and im very glad i ever got to meet her!

Love you, Sofia! :')

Obsessive Millionaire

13,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
The Legendary Guest
Apologies in advance for treading on anyone's else's toes and I am sure others will have more detailed answers for this but I just have to chime in here, as a person with sensory integration dysfunctions.

Sensory issues are uncomfortable for the person who has them, and the degree of discomfort ranges from mild to extreme. This is very misunderstood and leads to a lot of the "OMG THOSE POOR PEOPLE LOOK AT THAT HJGFDYUSLIHOILDHS!!!" reactions to things like meltdowns and helmets, for example.

Imagine you are a pre-verbal toddler who do not process pain properly. To you, it doesn't register as painful to bash your head against the wall. Actually, it feels kind of interesting, not like all that annoying stroking and soft-stuff...so you bash any chance you get...and scream with rage and bite when people make you stop because they don't make sense...this child needs to be understood before you strap that helmet on,

Graceangel
the reason for this is because while trying to navigate the early and complex waters of helping your child work through sensory issues; well.. it's easier to do it at a younger age. the earlier you intervene and start therapies; the more development they make. by the time they are a teenager and it'd be harder to have to do some of what you do when they're younger.. just do to the fact that sometimes, your kids get bigger than you. lemme tell you... my son has come a LONG LONG WAY since being in first grade. :3

I was broken, I was chokin’, I was lost.
This song saved my life.
I was bleeding, stopped believing, could have died.
This song saved my life.
I was down, I was drowning, but it came on just in time.

Interesting. I never realized the sensory issues went that far. My brother has Aspbergers, but his sensory issues are limited to just not wearing certain kinds of clothing.

This song saved my life.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Beautiful Grotesque
The Legendary Guest
Then I suppose it won't faze you if I confess that I myself am hyposensitive to pain and pressure to the degree that I used to push my teeth until they became loose enough to remove and give to the Tooth Fairy when I was small. It felt pretty cool, actually, so I understand the helmeted child.

You were just doing it for the money you get from the Tooth Fairy, right? eek
I know it would shock and scare me, if my own child was doing something like that, but I think, or at least I hope, I would be able to learn from it and help my child cope. I don't have any kids yet, but I want a whole tribe of them...or at least a football team's worth. razz

Mhm, also I was bored and it really wasn't bothering me. I didn't shove them all out! Just later on when my brother believed in the Tooth Fairy and I didn't. wink

It was only a few teeth but the point is the way it felt or didn't feel. I don't have many clothing issues, but I've known more than a few people who do.

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
Am_I_God

This song saved my life.
This song saved my life.

Interesting. I never realized the sensory issues went that far. My brother has Aspbergers, but his sensory issues are limited to just not wearing certain kinds of clothing.

This song saved my life.

well i thank you and appreciate your interest and willing to take actual knowledge on it. a lot of people at my workplace or even relatives.. like to act like they're asking questions about if he had cancer or something. or... like they're talking to me with lemon slices in their mouths. it's really insulting i feel.

but yeah.. my son has had a lot of trouble with anything that has to do with touching his head, ears, hair, or sticking things in hsi mouth besides food. but even with food, he's very picky! he eats a whole maybe 10 different things. i can jive with this easily; as i'm a picky eater myself. i'm more than willing to respect the need to not wanna eat things because of textures, etc.

but things like brushing his teeth, washing his hair, getting his haircut.. are all areas that are problematic.. also taking medicine. any kind of medicine.. is a battle.

Obsessive Millionaire

13,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Graceangel
well i thank you and appreciate your interest and willing to take actual knowledge on it. a lot of people at my workplace or even relatives.. like to act like they're asking questions about if he had cancer or something. or... like they're talking to me with lemon slices in their mouths. it's really insulting i feel.

but yeah.. my son has had a lot of trouble with anything that has to do with touching his head, ears, hair, or sticking things in hsi mouth besides food. but even with food, he's very picky! he eats a whole maybe 10 different things. i can jive with this easily; as i'm a picky eater myself. i'm more than willing to respect the need to not wanna eat things because of textures, etc.

but things like brushing his teeth, washing his hair, getting his haircut.. are all areas that are problematic.. also taking medicine. any kind of medicine.. is a battle.

This song saved my life.
This song saved my life.

Knowing why he's the way he is makes it a bit easier to deal with, especially the social quirks.

This song saved my life.

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
hey guys! tonight is the light it up blue! if it's not nightfall yet, and you wanna help join the movement. just go pick up a blue lightbulb for your porchlight.. or... anywhere you're likely to shine! one of these years i'm gonna buy something to put on the top of my roof. XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff