Total Votes:[ 56 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20 21 22 > >>

Mega Sex Symbol

24,275 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
<3 For your thread. heart
You did a really good job, and I can tell you did a lot of work on it.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Am_I_God
I was broken, I was chokin’, I was lost.
This song saved my life.
I was bleeding, stopped believing, could have died.
This song saved my life.
I was down, I was drowning, but it came on just in time.

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind being so adamant about getting children tested early for Autism.

This song saved my life.

Apologies in advance for treading on anyone's else's toes and I am sure others will have more detailed answers for this but I just have to chime in here, as a person with sensory integration dysfunctions.

Sensory issues are uncomfortable for the person who has them, and the degree of discomfort ranges from mild to extreme. This is very misunderstood and leads to a lot of the "OMG THOSE POOR PEOPLE LOOK AT THAT HJGFDYUSLIHOILDHS!!!" reactions to things like meltdowns and helmets, for example.

Imagine you are a pre-verbal toddler who do not process pain properly. To you, it doesn't register as painful to bash your head against the wall. Actually, it feels kind of interesting, not like all that annoying stroking and soft-stuff...so you bash any chance you get...and scream with rage and bite when people make you stop because they don't make sense...this child needs to be understood before you strap that helmet on,

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
glad to see you're doing this again!

for those of you who don't know me, or don't remember me from last year.

My son who's 11 now and will be 12 in June. He has autism. He's on the spectrum, but he hasn't been specifically diagnosed with any particular version of it.

We do have challenges such as verbal communication and potty habits. I generally don't consider any of the other things that come up due to his sensory issues to be challenges or a problem. In fact, a lot of his other traits are things i can relate to. they are things i see in my own behavior just.. amplified and a little on the extreme.

However, he also has a lot of really spectacular parts of his personality. For example, he has a great sense of humor. he LOVES to laugh. He enjoys rollercoaster games, tv, video games. he's really good with computers. this past year, my husband picked up a camcorder, and Naaman has taken to it grandly. In fact, in good weather, we'll go find some train tracks, and if we get lucky to have one come by; the two of them go out and film it. usually naaman does it with guidance from husband to make sure he's in a safe distance.

he also loves carwashes, fire dept buildings, and TRAINS. he is OBSESSED with trains. He really likes sonic the hedge hog games.

the last few summers, we've been working on getting past our issues with water, and he's been starting to go into the local pool. he needs a lifevest to feel safe to go in; but.. hey.. that's progress. it allows him to enjoy cooling off on hot days.

some of the biggest things that help for us is for one: the school. he goes to a GREAT school with GREAT panels of people who sit in on his IEP's, and i feel this has a great deal to do with it. he gets speech, occupational, and physical therapy at school. Actually, nowadays he doesn't do PT as often. only a little bit.

something else we try to do is use his strengths. cuz.. all kids on the spectrum has them. find out what makes them tick, and you use their interests to guide their interests and focus.

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
Am_I_God
I was broken, I was chokin’, I was lost.
This song saved my life.
I was bleeding, stopped believing, could have died.
This song saved my life.
I was down, I was drowning, but it came on just in time.

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind being so adamant about getting children tested early for Autism.

This song saved my life.

the reason for this is because while trying to navigate the early and complex waters of helping your child work through sensory issues; well.. it's easier to do it at a younger age. the earlier you intervene and start therapies; the more development they make. by the time they are a teenager and it'd be harder to have to do some of what you do when they're younger.. just do to the fact that sometimes, your kids get bigger than you. lemme tell you... my son has come a LONG LONG WAY since being in first grade. :3

Demonic Warlock

44,375 Points
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
As a person with Aspergers, I'm here to support the cause & be proud of who I am! n_n

Shameless Hoarder

So it wasn't my laptop or my internet. It was gaia all along! surprised

Uncle Kenny
Site Errors

Looks like the site has decided to start April Fools early and try the age old "Haha, I don't know how to work correctly" trick. Not to worry, we're teaching it that tricks like that aren't very funny. We'll have it back to normal soon. Sit tight!

Winner

7,900 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Contributor 150
  • Beta Contributor 0
Got a friend with this illness.. made me think of her! :')
Very nice thread. smile

L.

Shameless Hoarder

Holy crap that was loud eek

Big, big storm, I'll be back when it is over. stressed

Then hopefully I'll have a chance to actually chat with people. biggrin

Jolly Giver

14,850 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • Power of Friendship 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
Thread has been <3'd. Many of my young friends struggle with one form of autism or another. Some are more successful than others at "fitting in" with the social world around them. But all of them are gifts to the world around them, precious and amazing! Thank you for this thread of dedication to them!

Shameless Hoarder

Shanra the Dragon Bard
Good luck with your event Beautiful!

Thank you and thank you for sending out an announcement in the guild. smile

Shameless Hoarder

The Legendary Guest
*echos Shanra's sentiments* (=

ASDs are pretty common in my family, as well as other neurodiversities.

Care to share your story? smile

Shameless Hoarder

iSexy_Goddess
This will be the avi I want to enter, I sent a trade with the entry fee already.

Good luck on this event, I"ll try to come by every day.

Yay! First entry! biggrin

Shameless Hoarder

Freaksrus
Good luck!

Thanks, feel free to stop by again ^_^

Shameless Hoarder

iSexy_Goddess
Beautiful Grotesque
Daily Questions

Question: What are the signs you look for if you suspect your child has some form of autism and should you adopt a "wait and see" attitude, or take them straight to a doctor to diagnose them?

The signs to look out for are impairment in communication skills and social abilities, and repetitive behaviours. Also, failure to reach appropriate developmental milestones in some children, or the sudden loss of skills on others.

If you think your child has or shows some of these symptoms you should go straight to your pediatrician to get them diagnosed.

I'll send the trade to you tomorrow morning. I need to sleep so I can get up for a phone call in the morning >.>

Shameless Hoarder

Am_I_God

I hope that The Legendary Guest and Graceangel's answers helped answer your question. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff