Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should Bo run an Autism event next year in April?

Yes! I had so much fun with this one! 0.24489795918367 24.5% [ 12 ]
Yes. I learnt a lot more and I'm sure there is more to learn. :) 0.24489795918367 24.5% [ 12 ]
Maybe...I dunno...it could be a good idea. 0.081632653061224 8.2% [ 4 ]
No. Total waste of time and gold. 0.061224489795918 6.1% [ 3 ]
Yes. It's a great cause to be aware of. :) 0.36734693877551 36.7% [ 18 ]
Total Votes:[ 49 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 87 88 89 > >>

9,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
Felinophile
very nice bo heart but i have one question, why would bel be in charge of keeping people in order eek

I'm here to chum gum, and kick a**. And Im all out of gum.

Edit: Mom, look! Page 3 is mine!! *snoopy dances around the thread*

9,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
bohemian_wild_child
She is helping keeping order Felin razz

*coughs*
What she said smile

9,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
*wonders who would keep her in order* neutral

dont want! talk2hand

*goes wild*

Newbie Healer

22,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Super Tipsy 200

7,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Thank you so much for opening a place like this! I will post my stories when I get a few extra minutes.

Dangerous Lunatic

6,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Good morning and thank you for doing this thread heart

Shameless Hoarder

Thanks for the support. ^_^

I'm glad people appreciate the work that has been put in heart

Shameless Hoarder

No one is answering the daily question sad

7,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Now that I think about it I've actually got more than just two stories, but I will only post the two...

I first met A when I was 16. I volunteered in his mothers classroom while she taught summer school to 7-9 year olds. I thought A was one of the students because he wasn't very big and he had similar facial expressions to the students. He sat in the back of the room alone most days with a book on either the ocean or space. He kept to himself and even his own mom just let him be. The more I got to know her the more she told me about him. He was really 12 and he had Ausbergers. A didn't really like adults, but kids he was ok with. A didn't really like to deal with people and he didn't like his environment changed without being given advanced warning. She encouraged me to leave him alone unless he came up to me and to never raise my voice around him unless there was something life or death about to happen. After summer school ended his mom let me in on the fact that A really did like me, but didn't know how to approach adults. I haven't seen him since, except in photos in his mothers classroom where I still volunteer. He's 22 now and in college, living on his own with a pet cat. He's very active in environmental protests and turned out to be a rather attractive adult.

D is my cousin, when he was born there were a number of problems but the little fighter struggled through them all and became an average-in-all-ways baby and toddler. It was when he first started learning to speak that we all figured out something wasn't quite right. It took him longer to start trying to talk, he didn't even get his first rumblings of words until he was almost 4. First we thought that it was because we all talked for him because his brother had had some of the same difficulties. When we stopped talking for him, he didn't respond like his brother and start talking, D got worse. He would scream and throw things. If he wanted something that was on the table he would screech that it was on the roof, and since we all knew there was nothing on the roof we would tell him he was wrong and try to correct him. At some point his parents took him to the doctors. They thought maybe something was wrong with his hearing (he ALWAYS yelled and didn't say things "right" ). After every possible test it was decided that he had some form of autism..the specifics evade me at the moment. Aside from his screaming when he's upset D loves being held and cuddled, he touches everything and gets nose-to-nose with people when he talks to them. We affectionately call him our little tape recorder because he remembers everything anyone says about anything and can repeat it almost perfectly at will. He still has bouts of overly aggressive behavior and loud screaming (especially when he's being picked on by his older brother) but I'm happy to say as soon as he is fully potty trained he will be placed in a standard first grade class!

Dangerous Lunatic

6,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
bohemian_wild_child
Daily Autism Questions

Question: What are the key difference(s) between Autism, Aspergers, & PDD-NOS?

Some of the key differences between Autism and Asperger’s are that the individual could not have had a clinically significant language delay (although unusual patterns of communication and impaired nonverbal communication is generally present), and the individual must function within average to above average intellectual (cognitive) levels.

Pervasive Developmental Disorder is a general category used to describe a pattern of behavioral differences (which may include deviations, excesses, or difficulties) in the areas of social relating, communication, and attention/interest. Children who demonstrate a number of characteristics or symptoms in these three areas, and whose problems are not better explained by other disorders, may receive a diagnosis of PDD. This diagnosis may also be applied if the child exhibits a variety of symptoms associated with Autism, but in an unusual pattern.

Many of the behaviors that are considered crucial for diagnosis are still very variable in typically developing young children in this age range. Some children may receive a diagnosis of PDD-NOS as a toddler because they did not have any communicative behavior; later they may qualify for a diagnosis of autism as their communication develops and it becomes more evident that a qualitative difference exists in that area.

For parents and educators, the important thing to focus on is not the specific label a child receives, but what can be done to help the child develop skills in the areas of concern.

source: Emory Autism Center

Shameless Hoarder

MomsLastSon
bohemian_wild_child
Daily Autism Questions

Question: What are the key difference(s) between Autism, Aspergers, & PDD-NOS?

Some of the key differences between Autism and Asperger’s are that the individual could not have had a clinically significant language delay (although unusual patterns of communication and impaired nonverbal communication is generally present), and the individual must function within average to above average intellectual (cognitive) levels.

Pervasive Developmental Disorder is a general category used to describe a pattern of behavioral differences (which may include deviations, excesses, or difficulties) in the areas of social relating, communication, and attention/interest. Children who demonstrate a number of characteristics or symptoms in these three areas, and whose problems are not better explained by other disorders, may receive a diagnosis of PDD. This diagnosis may also be applied if the child exhibits a variety of symptoms associated with Autism, but in an unusual pattern.

Many of the behaviors that are considered crucial for diagnosis are still very variable in typically developing young children in this age range. Some children may receive a diagnosis of PDD-NOS as a toddler because they did not have any communicative behavior; later they may qualify for a diagnosis of autism as their communication develops and it becomes more evident that a qualitative difference exists in that area.

For parents and educators, the important thing to focus on is not the specific label a child receives, but what can be done to help the child develop skills in the areas of concern.

source: Emory Autism Center

Correct. Thank you for the detailed answer. ^_^

Dangerous Lunatic

6,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
bohemian_wild_child

Correct. Thank you for the detailed answer. ^_^

Its a pleasure taking part in this ... learning something with a chance of winning 4laugh

Knowledge is power !

Shameless Hoarder

Tomorrows question will be interesting. Well at least, I think it'll be interesting. ^_^
User Image
AA MMyysstteerriioouuss BBeeeekkeeeeppeerr rreessiiddeess wwiitthhiinn TThhee SShhaaddooww AAppiiaarryy......

Oh dear, I'm arriving here late!

I'll make an avatar at some point...I'm just not in the mood yet. My depressing one will be here for a bit. crying

By the way, let me know if you find a ribbon image that's the right size to go where my pink ribbon still is, in my signature. heart I'll look for one later, and if I find one I'll let you know.

For now, I'm going to bed soon. lol

......DDaarree yyoouu eenntteerr??

Shameless Hoarder

It's ok Jaud, better late than never. ^_^

And I might look for a ribbon later. But not at home right now xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items