Welcome to Gaia! ::

Benevolent Spirit

14,800 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
Mine isn't gonna be as awesome as the others because I've been busy working and didn't have time to construct lots of awesome stuff. Instead, I'm gonna probably just buy some rigs and a small assortment of items. I'll give those away as prizes I guess.

@any artists out there: if you'd be interested in providing headshots, sketches or some kind of art prize for some of my contests, please let me know, thanks!

APRIL is national Autism Awareness Month!

User Image

Some activities I wanna hold during this mini event:

1- april 2nd avatar contest
theme :: LIGHT IT UP BLUE!
design an avatar theme that is lit up blue. your own avatar must be wearing the same outfit for hte duration of the day tomorrow to count. no tektek's

2. no date set yet; another avatar contest
theme :: rainbow puzzle pieces
design an avatar with rainbows.
tektek's will be allowed.
*may recruit some judges. wanna be a judge? lemme know. you can't participate in a contest you judge though*

3. ANOTHER Light it up event
Theme: LIGHT IT UP! No seriously... Put a blue light up on your porch or if you don't have a porch, in your bedroom. :3 take a picture of you with by your light, and hold something with your gaia username on it. no real life names necessary!

There may be various page landmark prizes and random item raffles going on. Depends on what I have available. :3

I'm reserving extra posts for information to link to sources on information to learn about autism.

Benevolent Spirit

14,800 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
RULES//
don't be a jerk
no trolling
leave your passive aggressive or condescending needs at the door or take it to pm's
please read and follow any rules posted to specific contests

any posts which are inflammatory, abusive, or otherwise disturbing to the event will be reported asap.

thanks to and credits for anyone who helps out or donates prizes/art to contests

Benevolent Spirit

14,800 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
Resources and Information On Autism

Autism Speaks (that's a cute name since a lot of people with autism don't speak... at all, or hardly)

AS's Light It Up Blue

For a Great Explanation in basic terms of what Autism actually is:
This great blog! Being a Toaster Brained Kid in a Hair Dryer World
She visits her son's classroom and talks with the other kids. I think that her explanations would probably even help a lot of grown ups out there who still don't really understand it any better than the little kids do.
This is her page indexed with the links to all the parts of her visit to her son's school
I recommend reading them all. I cried a lot reading these, so bring some Kleenex!

Wikipedia

Here's what the CDC (center for disease control) has to say.

Nice article on How Someone found out they were autistic!

Tips for Parents who have recently found out their child is on the spectrum.

I'd be happy to to post links to any great sites or articles people wanna contribute. If you want to, you can either post here or pm me with a subject title of "Autism Awareness Reference".

My story and how Autism affects my family

Hi! I'm Vanessa. My twelve year old son is autistic. It was something that we didn't pick up on right away. As a toddler around twelve months of age, he was hitting all his milestones and making great progress. However, between eighteen months and two years, he started to regress. Along the same time as some of his speech skill regressions; he developed a behavior of disliking to interact with people and instead be interested with our computers. By 3, he could use a computer even though he couldn't read. We just thought he was exceptional for having the ability to be able to use it. However, by age 4 when I took him to be signed up for a speech delayed head start; the school staff talked with me about all sorts of things he wasn't doing that would meet his peers at an age appropriate level.

Due to limits financially and health insurance related issues, we couldn't pursue very far into the neurologist world, but the schools certified him. Every year, I attend an IEP meeting where we discuss our goals for him.

This is my son if you're interested.
He loves Trains, car washes, puzzle games (cubix and luxor to be specific), rollercoaster tycoon. He also enjoys video games. He's mastered quite a few Sonic and Mario titles. He's probably ready for more meatier games, but I'm a little pensive as to whether such games would be appropriate.

He's not very impressionable as he likes to keep to himself and not interested in socializing with others. His exception to this is our two cats. He socializes with them frequently. In fact, whereas he often won't conversate with US, he'll conversate with them. It's pretty cute.

As a parent, you often in the back of your mind either blame yourself or wonder if there was anything you could have done differently in their first few years differently that would have changed their course. I can only hope that my best is good enough. That my young man will one day grow up and be able to have a family of his own.

Benevolent Spirit

14,800 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
April 2nd
LIGHT IT UP BLUE

Light It Up Contest 1:

here's what you need to do!
Take a picture of you either standing on your porch with your porch light lit up blue
Or! If you don't have a porch, yours doesn't work, you can take one in your bedroom or at your desk!

Don't have a blue light yet? Home Depot is selling special blue light bulbs for $2 which are endorsed for Autism Speaks. :3

When you take your picture, be sure to have a piece of paper or a sign with your gaia username on it! If you're not in your photo with your gaia username, I'll just tip your post and not include you in the drawing. No Cheating! Please do not just photoshop yourself on other people's pictures.

Prize for this :: User Image Deinocti's Oath 2nd Gen +10k gold
Runner up - 5k gold

Light It Up Contest 2:

We all love our avi contests on gaia. This one's theme is to light your avatar up blue!
This contest is open to the first ten people! I will pick the one I like. Since I am judging this myself; There will be no contest fee.

Prize: User Image Thank you letter for April 2006 + 5k gold
runner up will get 3k gold

Benevolent Spirit

14,800 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
[placeholder for stuff]

Benevolent Spirit

14,800 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
[placeholder for stuff]

Benevolent Spirit

14,800 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
[placeholder for stuff]

Benevolent Spirit

14,800 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
this thread is technically open for posting. please excuse me while i pull it together. it was sort of impromptu. >< heart

Benevolent Spirit

14,800 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
I was just watching this.

It really made me cry. XD I know it's staged and all that; but there really are a lot of families who go through this. They get lots of people who make rude comments to them, and they are talked to like their child with autism needs to be kept in a cage or something.

It's heart warming to see so many people respond in a positive way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff