Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eh, it's pretty much to cover their asses. They don't seem to care about e-mail, im handles, etc and even with more private information like phone or home addresses, it's usually only problematic if it's posted publically.

It's all safety reasons, anyway. Prevent legal action if someone gets kidnapped/murdered via a contact from the site, prevent underaged members from revealing that sort of information, and also considering the nature of the internet, to prevent people from posting the personal information of people they dislike.

They are literally not going to care if you and your guildies all exchange addresses for secret santa, or if you exchange phone numbers via pm with the gaia boyfriend you met and have been talking to for 6 months.

Ghost Buster

i've exchanged numbers and skypes and even added several people on facebook from gaia

however, this was only after i'd known them for months

i consider several of them close friends and without gaia i would have never had the pleasure of knowing them crying

i do understand not being stupid about your personal info
there are some scary people out there that like some pretty scary stuff
it's good to be cautious exclaim

Apocalyptic Girl

21,875 Points
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
I'm pretty sure it's intended for giving information publicly on this site. So conventions or sharing personal information off-site doesn't count. For example, a lot of my friends have my RL address and we do gift or Christmas card exchanges every year, but we trade our addresses and handle our Secret Santas elsewhere. I have had someone post my RL information on Gaia before (an ex of an ex that wanted to cause drama/found me on here) and reported her and it was handled promptly, so they do care about the ToS and will act on it. It's meant to protect us and in situations like my case, it really does. I'm personally very thankful for that protection.

Smooth Kitten

I've always thought it counts for new Gaia members that are under 18, or password's protection...
And to prevent posting personal private things in public areas such as forums or one of those flash areas like Towns etc. to prevent trolls and cyber bullying or worse, to be a stalker's target. e ne

I don't think you can be banned for it until things really gets out of hands.

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Meeki
I'm pretty sure it's intended for giving information publicly on this site. So conventions or sharing personal information off-site doesn't count. For example, a lot of my friends have my RL address and we do gift or Christmas card exchanges every year, but we trade our addresses and handle our Secret Santas elsewhere. I have had someone post my RL information on Gaia before (an ex of an ex that wanted to cause drama/found me on here) and reported her and it was handled promptly, so they do care about the ToS and will act on it. It's meant to protect us and in situations like my case, it really does. I'm personally very thankful for that protection.

That reminds me of some trolls a few years back who'd not only hack people's accounts, but post RL information about them. I'm glad there's TOS protections against that. Some people online are really nasty like that.

Casrial's Bae

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Meeki
That situation makes a lot more sense.

Because I've totally PMed people my address before but it was with my consent and obv private.

Rogue

its just for in case unexpected situations occur, gaia can save itself or its users with their formed regulation that have existed prior to the unexpected situation

Fashionable Nerd

User ImageUser Image
♥ ♥

I never even thought about those. What a bad Gaian I am. eek

You can see my Walking Dead self on my profile. People know the region
where I live. My boyfriend knows the house I live in. And people know my
Skype and/or other ways to contact me if they really want.

Don't hurt me, Gaia. emo

XD
I agree it's just to cover their asses.

the rats in the c e l l a r you know who you are

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items