Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Saint

Greetings GDC,

gaia_crown I've been observing things around here lately. Recently, I hang around the Charity/Quest forum, hoping I would get something, just one simple item I want. None. As quick as one posts a questing thread, it quickly dies. Charity threads were full and sometimes, picky. I am seeing a few of my friends having an active quest thread but low donations, nothing to be disappointed about that. Sometimes, I wonder about this: Do their quests gets completed?/ Do they earn anything, at all? The truth is that active quest progress were rare, to me, when you're near, you're far...don't get yourself wrong, when no one helps, you give up and look into what other good item/s to buy and the worst of all, to never ever get what you really want. I remember the time I donated a slightly big amount to someone who was rich, and I found it quite weird, though I didn't regret it.

gaia_spoons +Le Spoons:+ gaia_spoons

gaia_star What is that item you still quest, even when you started from a long (long+) time?
gaia_star If you have ever quest something for such a long time, what do you do to get quest progress?
gaia_star Do you do depend on Charity Threads?
gaia_star What do you think of Charity Threads/Questing Threads?
gaia_star Do you do what ever it takes to get that item/s you really desire?
gaia_star Have you given up on questing before?

Tricky Survivor

What is that item you still quest, even when you started from a long (long+) time?
Nothing really. After a long, long time the appeal for an item just goes down. I have the only two items I really wanted, but now that I have them...they're not so cool to me anymore sad

If you have ever quest something for such a long time, what do you do to get quest progress?
Attempt to make my own gold. There's no way you can just rely on donations, especially if you're kind of anti-social (like me)

Do you do depend on Charity Threads?
I joined one charity thread. And super surprisingly, the item was donated to me. I don't expect that to happen ever again, so I don't depend on charity threads. That charity eventually turned out to be a hangout for friends, and I would have keep being active even if I knew that NOTHING would be given out.

What do you think of Charity Threads/Questing Threads?
Charity threads - well, In general I guess they can assist you in small ways on your quest. You can't just expect a free handout, you have to be active and make an effort.

Quest threads- well, I had one a couple of years ago. I got my item and closed it down. I doubt I'll ever have a quest thread ever again. They're not very helpful if you're not artistic/funny/etc to attract donors. I'd rather spend the time trying to make gold for the lower end items than bump my thread waiting around for people to come in. As for other people's...I like to read their descriptions and then donate on the spot if I like their story LOL.

Do you do what ever it takes to get that item/s you really desire? No. Well...I guess I don't have items I realllly want. I have items that I would buy if I had the gold, but not like...desperately want. And the items I kind of want are too expensive for me to realistically aim for. Like those damn RIG pets. Also, I don't have enough time to seriously try

Have you given up on questing before?
Kind of, in a way. When I'm really close to being able to buy an item I always think: DO I REALLY WANT THIS. then I buy something else instead and realise I kind of really did want it. Rinse and repeat.

dancing_ice's Fangirl

I guess I'm too proud to accept charity from strangers. However I enjoy gifts from friends. whee

I don't actively quest, I just like buying things and one day realize I have enough for the item I thought was out of reach.
I didn't quest for these minis, it was more like upgrading from kitsune mask to angelic scarf to devil tail to ports until I reached minis. I don't think I'll upgrade it further though,I'm becoming less and lesser active with each year that pass. ^^

Rare

Just because you make a quest thread doesn't mean it will immediately have lots of posts and be active. You have to bump it can attract others if not your friends.

Also, working towards or completing a quest is a lot more about personal goals than having a thread for it.

Unstoppable Krampus

I feel like there's one thing everyone should keep in mind with quests: You shouldn't expect donations, work your a** off earning the gold yourself and be thankful if someone gives you anything for it. Awhile ago I saw a girl bitching nonstop that no one had given her a big donation within hours of making her thread, and she refused to acknowledge anyone who gave her small amounts or inexpensive items and was downright annoyed that people tipped her posts in the thread. Needless to say, she got no sympathy from anyone.

I've only done a real quest for an item maybe two or three times. I used to donate to people pretty regularly, but I've fallen out of that lately since I've been low on funds. I've never sought out a charity thread for help, but I feel like they have every right to be picky with who they donate to. There's nothing wrong with them wanting to make sure their hard-earned funds go towards someone that actually deserves it.

I've seen far too many threads made up of a single post where the user just shows off a tektek full of million-gold items and expects someone to just hand it over. Whenever I donate, I look through pages and pages of threads and the quickest way to make sure I'm not giving you anything is to put absolutely no effort into your quest. If it looks like you just went through tektek and added the most expensive items you saw, then you come off as a tacky jackass and I can't blame anyone for not wanting to support you.

User Image

Tyhoic's Waifu

Kawaii Strawberry

I'm just dropping a comment here but I believe presentation is a part of it as well, if someone puts a lot of effort into the layout of their posts and they're presented nicely with a good amount of information on why they want help what their plans are,goals etc.
This persuades the person to donate not cause they've been guilted into it but because they believe its the right thing to do cause the person have gone through all that effort to explain their woes and situation and pleading for help from the masses. Though if they act like a complete t**t about it like Twisted lady said then they really don't deserve anything at all.

Dantrech's Princess

Demure Trash

mmmm
just because you posted a thread in the quest forum, it doesn't mean you will receive donations...

usually people who donate looks not only the thread, it check how the user is, how effort had made for the quest, etc

when I'm questing, I usually keep track in my siggy. This time I made an art auction to help my quest... so I was not looking for donations, but working for the item I wanted. I have a friend who own a thread in the charity. But the thread is not only to receive, is mostly to help others, I stand there because I like to chat w/my friends, not because I am looking for her to donate me.

I had donated to charity's mostly, but also to people I see is questing and I think it deserve the help. What I usually don't do is donate when a person is begging ^^' I find it disgusting...

Twisted said the true about people and quests.....

Stellar Succubus

When I quest, I'm damn serious. I've completed many many quests on my own with zero help. Many of those I've not even advertised that I've done.

When I've gotten help, it's never been through begging, and I always actually feel a little bit guilty when someone does donate. Ever grateful, just feel unworthy or something?

I never make quest threads or charity requests, because I see those as the realm of either those that are questing something enormous/expensive/long quest that's in need of support and help, or for newbies that don't have scores of items they could sell off to support their quest.

At the moment, I'm questing something worth around 2-4m. I'm selling off cheap items in my inventory to do it. Little bit by little bit I'm getting there. It feels nice to do it this way. smile

I think with charity threads, it's on the creator to maintain them and keep them going. I've seen many that do well, but not without effort on the creators part. Good things include games, prizes and generally giving people a reason to post.

I am thinking, if I ever do a major quest, I could have a thread in which I offer the art I do for free in freebies in return for donations. (I think that's legal here). It's not much, but it might keep people posting in the thread. And occasionally I could just do them for free as a prize for posting on a certain page. It's not fabulous art, but it might be a fun thing for people to do smile

Something rings a bell though that we're not allowed to offer art in return for donations?! I could be wrong there.

Spoon responses:
What is that item you still quest, even when you started from a long time? The zodiac mood bubbles. That took quite a while, just because no one was selling!

If you have ever quest something for such a long time, what do you do to get quest progress? I allied with another person questing the same thing and helped them along where I could, buying or informing them of sellers if I knew of one!

Do you do depend on Charity Threads? Not at all. They're for newbies or those questing big!

What do you think of Charity Threads/Questing Threads? They have their place, charities seem more for those who need a bit of a help up, questing threads seem like a long term thing. I like not to take too long with a quest. No more than a few months at most.

Do you do what ever it takes to get that item/s you really desire? No I do not. I often don't go to bootygrab.

Have you given up on questing before? I gave up my EI quest when Nano C came out. I just really did not want it at all. I felt awful, but I did get most of the others, so that was an achievement in itself!

Ruthless Raider

12,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
I haven't done a quest thread in years. It was boring, just bumping your own thread all day. If I just want to bump, I'll go to the chatterbox.

I just finally got the last item that I was questing. I just do it by selling RIGs, no help from others.

Enduring Phantom

I'm used to doing long-term quests. Right now I'm saving up for Metal's Last Hope and Gemini Twins. Even though my quest thread is inactive, it serves as a place to track my progress and bump for gold; and also gives you credibility when applying for donations in charities.

I do wish some people would stop by and chat though. emotion_sweatdrop It's awfully lonely over there...*crickets* But as far as I know, nobody ever clicks the link in my signature lmao.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
I've been doing a gold shop item buyout quest for years, and I've never started a quest thread or asked for donations. I have a friend who sometimes gives me gold because he doesn't really buy much for himself, but other than that it's basically just been all me, which is fine with me since I hardly ever donate to anyone either.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I've been questing an item since November. :/

I'm about 1/4th of the way there... but this item is expensive

Partying Fatcat

Minis. I've been questing them since 2008. So... 5 years questing. People see my avi and I guess they don'y feel like donating because I have a Cherubic but this item was a gift from a dear friend and it just means too much to me. If I sold my entire inventory without it I still wouldn't even be close to getting minis.

I actually had to hop to this account, which used to be a mule, because I was being harassed over asking for donations on my sig in the other account. I kept getting PMs and profile comments calling me a "greedy slut" because I have a Cherubic and am "begging for donations to be more elitist".

Needless to say I am not planning to start a quest thread anytime soon. neutral

Dantrech's Princess

Demure Trash

fuiuchi
Minis. I've been questing them since 2008. So... 5 years questing. People see my avi and I guess they don'y feel like donating because I have a Cherubic but this item was a gift from a dear friend and it just means too much to me. If I sold my entire inventory without it I still wouldn't even be close to getting minis.

I actually had to hop to this account, which used to be a mule, because I was being harassed over asking for donations on my sig in the other account. I kept getting PMs and profile comments calling me a "greedy slut" because I have a Cherubic and am "begging for donations to be more elitist".

some people can be so stupid!!! -.-'

Partying Fatcat

Tsukita-chan
fuiuchi

some people can be so stupid!!! -.-'

It never occurs to them that some people keep items for personal reasons that have nothing to do with "showing off"... the friend who gave me this item means SO much to me. She saved my life. I wear it to remind me of her. She actually told me to sell it twice and buy the minis but I just can't do it... she gave it to me before she quit Gaia and moved away. sad

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff