Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pandilicious's Husbando

Invisible Member

39,410 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Winged 100
I've seen plenty of threads laying the blame squarely on Gaia for item inflation, but really, it's not entirely Gaia's fault.

Yes, Gaia has dumped a lot of gold into the economy. Yes, this devalues the currency.

But the prices in the Marketplace are set by users. The value of an item on Gaia is only that which someone is willing to pay.

And right now, we've got people who are willing to pay these outrageous prices.

Gaia is partly to blame for that. The release of Flynn's Booty has certainly made people richer than they were before. They are now capable of paying outrageous prices. But in the end, it's the user who decided "yes I will pay that price". They could have used all that extra gold to go buy art. They could have used it to go buy nice items in the Gold Shops. But they chose to spend it on an overpriced item in the marketplace, thereby validating the high price it was listed at.

I know a lot of people aren't going to agree with me, I just hadn't seen a topic addressing this point and it's been eating at me so I just wanted to share it xp

Distinct Member

Actually I agree, it's not entirely gaias fault, but also at fault of we the people so to speak.
It's mostly at how desperate or impatient one is.

Ruthless Prophet

11,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
People will shift the blame, outright refuse to accept it.
They see Gaia in the wrong 100% and don't think they could ever have a hand in the 'damage' that's going on right now.

It's equal parts amusing and sad.

Super Noob

15,525 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Unconditional Heart
Actually I agree, it's not entirely gaias fault, but also at fault of we the people so to speak.

Mostly impatient. In this age of instant gratification people really don't wanna wait around for anything... especially on the internet.

Dangerous Nerd

I'm so glad that someone actually understands the situation.

To me, this horrendous artificial inflation has always been akin to going "I don't like what's going on, so I'll ruin it for everyone!"

Which, makes no one any better than the company they're complaining about. /shrug.

Enduring Shapeshifter

Both parties are to blame, that's all there is to it.

Sweet Gaian

But I feel like people set the buy prices high because they KNOW people have immense amounts of gold.

Honestly when I sell things I do it a couple k below the lowest buy price. Sure I dont make maximum profit but I get rid of the item faster and give someone else a better deal on it.

Inflation has always been our faults. Its inevitable. BUT, with Flynn's Chest/Booty the inflation is increasing FASTER and harder for normal users to catch up and quest certain items

Dead Hellraiser

It is our fault, it's just easier for people to place the blame on someone/something that's not them.

Snarky Vampire

39,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Champion 300
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
This, so much.

While I don't agree that gaia is at fault for facilitating inflation, or that inflation in the Marketplace is necessarily bad or an irreversible wrong, I think the people who want to blame gaia alone should be set down and made to realize that placing the blame squarely on gaia for their issues with inflation is misguided.

If, as I suspect, some of them secretly do use and have used Flynn's Booty, in some cases, it's the pot calling the kettle black. But what I decide to suspect about other people is 1. just my opinion, which carries no actual weight on its own, and 2. an entirely different ball game.

Melodious Fairy

agreed
the promised updates are in the air too

the best way isn't always the fast way . . .

Distinct Member

grape_overlord
Unconditional Heart

Mostly impatient. In this age of instant gratification people really don't wanna wait around for anything... especially on the internet.

Pretty much, imstant gratification tends to trump all sensibility.

Super Noob

15,525 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Unconditional Heart
grape_overlord
Unconditional Heart

I'm a victim of it and I have absolutely no qualms about admitting that.

Distinct Member

grape_overlord
Unconditional Heart
grape_overlord
Unconditional Heart

I'm a victim of it and I have absolutely no qualms about admitting that.

Yeah, it happens, it's human nature. It's like when my hubby wanted an iPhone that recently came out. He wanted it so bad that he spent quite a bit of money. Luckily it has payments. crying
Irl and online it can happen, and is so easily overlooked.

Omnipresent Phantom

9,200 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
To be completely fair, I think most of us have used Flynn's Booty.

I purchased a bundle like I always do with CIs when they come out, but then I realized the implications that went alongside the item.

Yes, Gaia has effectively poured gold into the economy, but I agree with our friendly admin here.
It is ultimately up to the users if they are going to spend outrageous amounts of money on items in the MP, especially alchemy items as of late.

I doubt that they could have paired anything more poorly than Flynn's Booty and the Alchemy update.

TL;DR The MP is up 400%, and everybody is at fault.

Saint Sweetheart

I foolishly partook in the initial release by playing 5-10 chests with gold since I had some to throw around thinking it would be the only release for a while. Oh how wrong I was.

I haven't participated since. I refuse to be part of the problem. (There's also the fact that I simply can't afford anything with gold anymore cause I've been left in the dust of cash buyers emotion_awesome I could easily buy cash, but no. Gaia doesn't get s**t from me. )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff