Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ruthless Capitalist

Miss Perfection

Sinking gold isn't the problem. Helping out isn't the problem. Working towards a common goal for the community isn't a problem.

It's buying Gold Generators to 'restock' the gold you sunk.

Amen to that

Princess Nerd

20,175 Points
  • Master Librarian 500
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Magical Girl 50
: /
Except not everyone who is donating to the events is buying gold gens. It sounds like you either made up this scenario or saw 1-2 people doing it and projected it onto everyone.
smh @ u

Werewolf

Whoa. Ok. No. Perspective:

1. Gaia releases gold generators because people buy them, not the other way around. The sales alone are the reason they're released. Users have this thing called self-control that they can make use of. Gaia is a business and by default will never be wrong for doing something that can only generate more profit.

2. Without gold generators, gold sinks would do a significant amount of work toward stabilizing the economy (decreasing the gap between average users and rich users). Less gold per user means that the current means we have to earn gold (posting, games, etc.) will be more rewarding based on the worth of gold.

3. Frequent gold sinks are and will always be beneficial, same as the increased Marketplace tax and Loyal's Bazaar updates. Just because it's not a solution doesn't mean it doesn't have a positive effect. Participating in gold sinks now ensures we'll see more of them.

4. There is always a small deflation following a gold sink, which gives users a window of opportunity to buy low before the next inflation kicks in, at which point they can resell items for profit. Vending!

5. The only reason gold sinks aren't a permanent solution is because users keep buying gold generators, not because Gaia keeps releasing them. Gaia (part of their team, that is) is giving us an opportunity to fix the economy on a silver platter and it's up to the community to take it. If we want to fix the inflation, all we can do is educate the users on the damage gold generators do and convince them not to buy them. Then the gold sinks will become a solution.

Timid Lover

It's all so ridicules. Why create gold sinks if they just plan to mess up the economy again next week? This site is so messed up. emotion_facepalm

Benevolent Duck

Madolce Puella
warn the sailors
so your assumption is that everyone who's sinking gold is also going to buy gold generators rather than it being, as always, two groups of people who overlap in some places

mmm.

Lmao, way to not read the op.

Quote:

I'm aware a few hundreds of users don't actually buy gold gens, but the majority of gaia's "casual" userbase actually does this.

However, if it suits you, wear it.

what's your source on those proportions, though? it doesn't become a fact just because you put it in your op.

Shirtless Shoujo

3,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sunny Side Up 100
Hi-Potion
Except not everyone who is donating to the events is buying gold gens. It sounds like you either made up this scenario or saw 1-2 people doing it and projected it onto everyone.
smh @ u

OP aka myself in literally the first post

I'm aware a few hundreds of users don't actually buy gold gens, but the majority of gaia's "casual" userbase actually does this.

Shirtless Shoujo

3,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sunny Side Up 100
warn the sailors
Madolce Puella
warn the sailors
so your assumption is that everyone who's sinking gold is also going to buy gold generators rather than it being, as always, two groups of people who overlap in some places

mmm.

Quote:

what's your source on those proportions, though? it doesn't become a fact just because you put it in your op.

Are you actually posting just because you want to have the last word?
We both agree there's two different groups who overlap at some point, yet you're actually questioning my sources?

Royal Rabbit

Kurienze
Alocrescent
Weeeellll, those doing the gold sink and those spitting out the gold gens were two different departments. Well, the one with Loyal anyway, dunno about this one. It feels like Gaia is having a war within itself behind the site.

Not trying to attack you, I'm just curious if you have a source?

Sorry, no direct source. It was mentioned in a thread during the Loyal event. As far as businesses and companies goes, this is not uncommon. (Same thing is happening at my current job)

Gaia isn't a hivemind, it's run by various teams and various supervisors and information doesn't always match up.

Princess Nerd

20,175 Points
  • Master Librarian 500
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Magical Girl 50
Madolce Puella
Hi-Potion
smh @ u

lol
How is that any proof at all?
I, personally, havent seen this lol
laffs @ u

Benevolent Duck

Madolce Puella
warn the sailors
Madolce Puella
warn the sailors

mmm.

Quote:

Are you actually posting just because you want to have the last word?
We both agree there's two different groups who overlap at some point, yet you're actually questioning my sources?

um
if you agree with me, i'm not really sure why you felt the need to quote me with an excerpt from your op...?
i'm just wondering how you decided that the majority of people buy gold gens + the majority of people who sink gold are going to buy them just to sink more gold.

Shirtless Shoujo

3,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sunny Side Up 100
Hi-Potion
Madolce Puella
Hi-Potion
smh @ u

lol
How is that any proof at all?
I, personally, havent seen this lol
laffs @ u

Common sense and marketplace prices should be proof enough, considering I'm unable to obtain the servers' exact data. Or am I actually missing your point?

Shirtless Shoujo

3,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sunny Side Up 100
warn the sailors

um
if you agree with me, i'm not really sure why you felt the need to quote me with an excerpt from your op...?
i'm just wondering how you decided that the majority of people buy gold gens + the majority of people who sink gold are going to buy them just to sink more gold.

There's can't be two majorities. That in itself makes no sense.
Also, I'll tell you the exact same thing I told Hi Potion: Take a look at the marketplace's prices.
That should be proof enough people actually buy gold gens.
Alocrescent
Sorry, no direct source. It was mentioned in a thread during the Loyal event. As far as businesses and companies goes, this is not uncommon. (Same thing is happening at my current job)

Gaia isn't a hivemind, it's run by various teams and various supervisors and information doesn't always match up.

Oh, no, I don't doubt that is common, I was more interested to see who said it. c:

I've worked enough as well to understand that happens in any workplace / company, haha.

I just think it's interesting if this really is a kind of internal conflict, that there might be some staff putting in an effort to help fix the site, whereas on the other hand another team just keeps cranking out gold gens.

Destructive Reveler

sterek
Off topic but I had to comment on your avi since its so cute.

Benevolent Duck

Madolce Puella
warn the sailors

um

There's can't be two majorities. That in itself makes no sense.
Also, I'll tell you the exact same thing I told Hi Potion: Take a look at the marketplace's prices.
That should be proof enough people actually buy gold gens.

there absolutely can.
all gaia & a majority of that population.
all people who actually participate in the gold sink & a majority of THAT population.

it's proof that people buy gold gens, yes, but it's in no way proof that MOST people buy them. you really can't make that claim without stronger evidence.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff