Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Star

15,940 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Hi, GCD!

I've been thinking for a while whenever I browse the Gold shops -- and I know it's probably a little weird -- but I wonder what they would smell like if they were real. Not only that, but what kind of atmosphere would each shop have?

For example, Durem Depot is kind of obviously Gaia's own Hot Topic, so I imagine it'd be a little dimly-lit with a sort of industrial decoration feel to it (brick walls, open ceiling where you see the AC pipes). Moira would also probably play hard rock in her shop all day, most likely from her band Nervegas Crisis. If it was a real shop, she'd probably have her band's CDs for sale too. Just a little self promotion! I'm not really sure what it'd smell like because I've never really noticed a particular scent in Hot Topic. I guess it'd just smell like new clothes?

Continued under spoiler tag to save space:

Barton Boutique would smell like a Halloween store. I think it'd kinda smell like rubber masks, cheap wigs and props, but it's nicer than a temporary Halloween store since it's open all year round. And there's cat hair everywhere because Rufus is there minding the shop with Ian.

Gambino Outfitters I think would smell really good. I think Sasha would have her shop right by the beach, so you get a good ocean smell in there. There's also a nice new-clothes-smell in there since her stuff might be slightly higher-end than Ian's. I think the walls of the shop would be painted a kind of sea-foam blueish green, but with an antiqued look to make it look like it's old. The furniture would be the same, only painted white with that look. And she'd decorate the whole store with shells, fish nets, and dried starfish and seahorses and things on the walls and ceilings! An adorable little beachside boutique.

Like I mentioned in the title, I think Global Imports would always smell like incense. I think it'd have the feel of a Pier 1 Imports or a Cost Plus World Market, and Josie would have music playing over the speakers, too. Unlike Moira, though, Josie would probably regularly cycle through traditional east Asian instrumental music, traditional Indian music where they're singing in Hindi, and maybe Gregorian monks chanting/singing.

HR Wesley /reeks/ of leather. Edmund and Louie would have it decorated unbelievably posh, with plush leather chairs, and really, really nice high-end clothing on the best mannequins around. Everything would be very warmly lit, and you'd definitely be able to have really good looks at all their wares. And like, you know that smell when you open up a brand new pair of really nice dress shoes? That smell would be there too. I imagine Edmund and Louie both wear really nice cologne, so if you were to pass either of them you'd get just a little whiff of it.

So that's just some of the first shops. I've rambled on for quite a while, and I don't want to make this topic too long, so I think that's a good place to stop and hopefully get my ideas across.

Basically what I want to discuss is, when you go through the gold shops, do you imagine what their atmospheres/smells/etc. would be like if they were real? If you do, what do you think they'd be like? For close comparisons, would you mind mentioning some real-life shops that might be similar to them? Give me your thoughts, Gaia!

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
i think
Junk in the Trunk = fecal smell, or something akin to poop or fart. or the junk in carl's trunk. *ppbbllltt* /pooping sounds

Sparkly Star

15,940 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Existential Existence
i think
Junk in the Trunk = fecal smell, or something akin to poop or fart. or the junk in carl's trunk. *ppbbllltt* /pooping sounds
Ughhh, yes. It'd feel like a really small Ross where you can't find ANYTHING and everything's a mess, and it'd smell like Carl everywheeere. And half the merchandise would be ruined.

Peaceful Lunatic

Yes, but what kind of incense?

Interesting thought, though. Imaginary immersion is fun. I'd imagine Buttercup Cafe smells like roses, coffee, and pie. A different pie smell every day! I mean, pies make up so much of her inventory. But that would make it a nice outdoors cafe/bakery/flower shop to visit.

Salon Durem would smell like shampoo... well that's obvious, but it'd be a neutral kind of shampoo. It doesn't strike me as a perfumy kind of place.

I'll give Global Imports a frankincense incense smell. It smells really good.

I'd have to argue and say that Junk in the Trunk would smell like elk and dust. Just like a second-hand store!

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Pieface McGee
Existential Existence
i think
Ughhh, yes. It'd feel like a really small Ross where you can't find ANYTHING and everything's a mess, and it'd smell like Carl everywheeere. And half the merchandise would be ruined.

ever been near one of these
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
*eye waggle*

realistically i'd probably associate carl's shop with a badly kept thrift store + carl's butt stink.

maybe like these types User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

like, a really bad Goodwill

Anxious Werewolf

It's a good thing I can't because I probably wouldn't visit half of the shops

Especially if Durem Depot is like Hot Topic...with blaring music and the smell of pot ~

I'd probably just hang out in Buttercup Cafe...I mean she has food + all sorts of flowers...it's gotta be like Yankee Candle in there

Sweetest Ally

52,900 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Budding Witch 250
  • The Edgiest 250
Hmmm.... I think you're right about Durem Depot. It's kinda like Hot Topic, but with a lot of cool stuff that anyone can wear. And as for Gambino Outfitters, it's got a lot of summery stuff that's suitable for the hottest months of the year (June, July, and August). Overall, I like to visit these stores for these reasons. smile

Sparkly Star

15,940 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
iMutt
It's a good thing I can't because I probably wouldn't visit half of the shops

Especially if Durem Depot is like Hot Topic...with blaring music and the smell of pot ~

I'd probably just hang out in Buttercup Cafe...I mean she has food + all sorts of flowers...it's gotta be like Yankee Candle in there
Agreed, and agreed. I don't go in Hot Topic if I can help it. I think Buttercup Cafe would definitely smell the nicest.

Ysavvryl
Salon Durem would smell like shampoo... well that's obvious, but it'd be a neutral kind of shampoo. It doesn't strike me as a perfumy kind of place.
Yeah, I think it'd smell like that, too. Probably like your average haircut salon. Not much else you can do with that, really.

Coffee Lass's Kouhai

Pal

Sam's Body Parts would definitely have that tire smell. Perhaps with a hint of oil as well. Then in the background you could hear the sound of someone working on a car or something. xd
I imagined that Phin Phang would be sort of like Petsmart. With the faint smell of fish food.

Bashful Shapeshifter

6,750 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
HR Wesley and Global Imports would be the two best smelling of the shops. One is classy, and the other exotic. I'd totally hang out there!

I think Mecha Neko would smell like mini-figure paint, plastic wrapping, and cheap metals. Let's be honest, anime goods tend to be rather cheaply made, unless you're going for the super expensive high-end stuff.

La Victoire would smell like moon rocks, metal and slight hints of searing flesh. You know, space smells. And they'd try to hide it with some really strong perfume or cologne, but kind of fail. It'd be very odd, but not overall unpleasant.

Dernier Cri would probably smell like a design house. Lots of fabric smells, hot glue, and packaged feathers. Kind of like new car smell - really pungent,but something you can't get enough of.

Sparkly Star

15,940 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Florizarre
Sam's Body Parts would definitely have that tire smell. Perhaps with a hint of oil as well. Then in the background you could hear the sound of someone working on a car or something. xd
I imagined that Phin Phang would be sort of like Petsmart. With the faint smell of fish food.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I think Mirai's place would definitely smell better than her dad's. Dx The Ol' Fishing Hole, I don't think Logan would even try to keep nice. It's literally a shack that he exchanges fish in and sells fishing equipment in. The Ol' Fishing Hole would probably smell worse than Junk in the Trunk. I wouldn't go anywhere near it. emotion_donotwant

Anxious Werewolf

Florizarre

Fish stores always have a weird smell to them o.o

And they all have a gated off area to put your kids while you go off looking at fish...with crappy toys they've had since the beginning of time. Like those dress up nuggets from mcdonald's...

In a relationship with Sappho herself

Shoujo Scout

25,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Friendly 100
if global imports smells like incense, get me a job in there. ;w;

i'm an incense fiend. this morning, i woke up early to go bunk at a family member's house so i could be closer to the city. when i got there, i realized that my shirt (which had been hanging on the door of my room) smelled like incense from three feet away.

/offtopic.

Sparkly Fatcat

Ooh this is a great thread idea * u*
I think Cross Stitch would smell like air freshener with a really obvious medical smell under it. Like a morgue, but they're trying to cover it up.
Junk in the Trunk would smell like fear and deer poop. gonk

fradrian's Significant Otter

Vicious Witch

39,350 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Rebel Spark 50
Existential Existence
i think

exactly my thoughs.

Also for H&R Wesley I though a delicate jasmine essence. Or other posh flowers, cause I'm sure they would have fresh bouquest decorating the shop^^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff