Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tiny Inquisitor

God Trick
I wouldn't be surprised if they started to charge a P2P fee for new features.

You know what they say... once you say it it's bound to happen...

Fortunately I don't see myself using any new features on this site. I mostly come here to roll around in the forums and participate in events. 3nodding

From Gaia's point of view they probably won't do anything new that won't be guaranteed to make them more money. So I don't expect many new features coming out any time soon.

Tipsy Genius

Pnyuu
Hi-Potion
settlefish
Yukitsu
you mean 50$ for an item that was selling on the marketplace previously for 8 mil for the longest time according to the graphs?????? that's totally a fair amount to charge for it, right?
exactly
what a deal lol
That was actually a fair deal before Flynns Booty messed with the economy, because 50 dollars would only get you about 4.5 mil. Now you can get 6 mil for 10 dollars by selling Flynn's Chest.
User Image

a $50 flynn chest bundle is going for about 40mil in the MP

Ah~ I remember the good ol' days when $50 got me an average for 5.25m. Those were the days. Back when inflation didn't kick our asses.
Now the economy is so s**t you gotta be lucky to get anywhere on here.

OG Noob

Because most Gaians these days are old enough to actually afford to buy these cash only items. 10 years ago I was just some loser teenager. Now I'm an adult and I am able to actually pay for s**t. I think the site is just changing in order to match the current life stage its users are at.

Receiver

BIissfuI
Pnyuu
Hi-Potion
settlefish
Yukitsu
you mean 50$ for an item that was selling on the marketplace previously for 8 mil for the longest time according to the graphs?????? that's totally a fair amount to charge for it, right?
exactly
what a deal lol
That was actually a fair deal before Flynns Booty messed with the economy, because 50 dollars would only get you about 4.5 mil. Now you can get 6 mil for 10 dollars by selling Flynn's Chest.
User Image

Ah~ I remember the good ol' days when $50 got me an average for 5.25m. Those were the days. Back when inflation didn't kick our asses.
User Image

ikr and "good ol' days" were only, like, 3 months ago

Tipsy Genius

Pnyuu
BIissfuI
Pnyuu
Hi-Potion
settlefish
Yukitsu
exactly
what a deal lol
User Image

User Image

ikr and "good ol' days" were only, like, 3 months ago

Actually for me it was about a year ago it seems.
3 months ago we were in the same position, just not as severe.

Hopeful Visionary

23,700 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Contributor 150
They go up because we where given cash for a price. If you got more money in your pay checks for work the prices in the market will go up why...because we have enough money to buy things we wants. That 3% tax is nothing compared to real taxes. At first I thought something was wrong when most of what was a lot of items I wanted where no longer in the market. Making me think everyone holding on or don't want to share or care to give up when not on. But then I decided to flip the prices to see what is selling like a mother load. That the same. Halo's, wings, devil and angels and even cats stuff...are like high. They always been since I been on here in 04. Nothing changed but that fact the price way higher because gaia gives offers that gives us more gold then they ever did before causing that price to go up. No yea they usually go down if a similar or next in line same item is released because people will buy those lowing the old things to a point where some of us could might be able to get the original ones.

I am not complaining on gold opertunites...instead of floating around I play the games and make the art to try to earn the ways here. But if one can't understand how one thing works then everyone get butt hurt because they didn't see this when this first started. It been like that. So I am assuming we are going to have big holiday's with recolors and I don't mind recolors as some thing I wanted in blues or blacks ect...whatever. Not everyone can be a orginal Halo, Demon horning wing flying cat out their.

Those are rare...If anyone's able they just got money and can or earn and don't care much of any other items. If you ask for more detail, more eyes facials and hairs and the usual original rares you get high prices in those items. It always hard to get an item you particular requested to be made. Depending on the amount of requests that item becomes an high price digital icon to the market.
Attrinity
    Because most Gaians these days are old enough to actually afford to buy these cash only items. 10 years ago I was just some loser teenager. Now I'm an adult and I am able to actually pay for s**t. I think the site is just changing in order to match the current life stage its users are at.

Gaia won't be able to function properly if they only keep their current members.
They need to appeal to the new audiences whilst keeping the older members satisfied. This has always been the case.
The same things that pushed you away as an adolescent are pushing away the new wave that is needed to progress with the site.

16,300 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Pieversity 200
gdapw

newbs who have a lot of real money > oldbies who dont.

Are there really that many new users coming in willing to spend money?

They certainly need to pay attention to their customers, and their customers are the people who spend money. But are new users showing up invested in this community?

I think it's more like eating the seed corn.

Friendly Friend

13,925 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
kremzeek
gdapw

newbs who have a lot of real money > oldbies who dont.

Are there really that many new users coming in willing to spend money?

They certainly need to pay attention to their customers, and their customers are the people who spend money. But are new users showing up invested in this community?

I think it's more like eating the seed corn.

All you need to do to see how much is actually being spent is look at the volume of sales of any item in the MP. Multiply by the cash/verge shop value and minus a certain "resellers" percentage to see how many people are spending what.

Like if you look at

http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemsearch//?search=gaian&filter=0

you know for each of these someone spent $500 on a single item. There are several more not made yet (Note most of these ones were not brought directly by the people who had them made, but by a middle person who thought the gold they would get from selling them was worth it).

Similar with halos when they were sold for $1000, there was a pretty good number of them which were brought as well. There are a lot of kids on the internet with pretty wealthy parents. Which means they can drop like $1000 and not even care.

Fluffy Cat

16,175 Points
  • 1 Win 50
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Pet Trainer 150
To sum it up in two words: Shortsightedness and greed.

They saw they could make a quick buck by selling these gold-producing items, and were either blind to the long-term damage this would do, or (more likely) didn't care because they don't have any long-term plans for this site.

This new CEO, with his business degrees and his 20 years of experience running companies, is no fool. He must know exactly what's going on here. So the only scenario that makes sense to me is that this is all part of his plan, and he simply doesn't care if this site goes down in flames. Perhaps he's expecting to start this new adult-only site and get all the cash spenders to move over there and continue throwing their money around on a whole new array of adult-only items for adult-only avis.

Ethereal Trickster

21,240 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Some items are going up and others are plummeting, last week I grabbed Golden Fleece for next to nothing (I think it was 30k or less) that item used to be up in the 100 thousands.
In fact many of my wish list items that used to be way up there are now cheap enough to have finally.

However this is due to the fall of their popularity more than anything else, but Flynn's booty in my mind does cause negatives with overall inflation since even art costs are going up now.

I have only one piece of avi art on my profile, and artists were out of my range before and now it is impossible.

Ethereal Trickster

21,240 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Loobee
To sum it up in two words: Shortsightedness and greed.

They saw they could make a quick buck by selling these gold-producing items, and were either blind to the long-term damage this would do, or (more likely) didn't care because they don't have any long-term plans for this site.

This new CEO, with his business degrees and his 20 years of experience running companies, is no fool. He must know exactly what's going on here. So the only scenario that makes sense to me is that this is all part of his plan, and he simply doesn't care if this site goes down in flames. Perhaps he's expecting to start this new adult-only site and get all the cash spenders to move over there and continue throwing their money around on a whole new array of adult-only items for adult-only avis.

I would not be surprised if this happened, or if it is the cause of all of this madness; however if he runs the site into the ground you have to wonder what happens to everyone who works on it?

Loyal Exhibitionist

Jeffrey M Roth
God Trick
I wouldn't be surprised if they started to charge a P2P fee for new features.

You know what they say... once you say it it's bound to happen...

Nah. Gaia will get rid of the silly Flynn's Booties/Chests so the Marketplace can finally settle, and then to make up for what they did they will pump out high quality freebies and make the prices in the Cash Shop/Club Verge much cheaper, to, say, 25% of the price they currently are now.

There, I've said it. Now Gaia has to act on it. :3

Super Spook

24,600 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Hunter 50
  • Nuclear Plant 500
I think they're trying to restore the balance in the site's economy. Prices were already inflating in the Market before all this happened, so they're not entirely to blame.

Gaia's just going about it the wrong way, that's all.
Instead of suddenly throwing pixels at us, they should have at least made an announcement/video or have a discussion with the community about the recent inflation of prices and what they planned to do about it. :c

Ruthless Knight

12,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Deletris

Gaia is really scaring off new members.

So much this. Any new person who comes to this site is just going to think it's an elitist-only game where you can only feel "welcome" in the community if you spend $money$. Which is basically true.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff