Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think Gaia is dying because of inflation? Justify your answer in a reply! :)

Yes, because... 0.48660714285714 48.7% [ 109 ]
No, because... 0.51339285714286 51.3% [ 115 ]
Total Votes:[ 224 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 >

Aishyteru Panda's Husband

Moonlight Bear

30,400 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Are you participating in the event? smile
When I have time X3
That's good! I'm trying to win at Switchem haha
I got the first three, which is all I ever get in Switchem XD
haha yeah it's pretty difficult! i wanna finish until i get those pink overalls. XD
I actually love the overalls you get from eggs XD

Tactical Superhero

Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Are you participating in the event? smile
When I have time X3
That's good! I'm trying to win at Switchem haha
I got the first three, which is all I ever get in Switchem XD
haha yeah it's pretty difficult! i wanna finish until i get those pink overalls. XD
I actually love the overalls you get from eggs XD
i got those already, but yeah those are pretty cute as well xd

Moonlight Bear

30,400 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
student doctor
Well, you might guess that pink isn't exactly my color XD

Tactical Superhero

Kuroii Panda
student doctor
haha yeah i should have been more mindful of that fact. xd

Moonlight Bear

30,400 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
For once, I'm not a fan of the Switchem colors XD

Tactical Superhero

Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Haha good for you then. xd

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Way too much gold generator abuse going on these days.

Moonlight Bear

30,400 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Haha good for you then. xd
I usually suffer when they come out. And they're so expensive in the MP

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
Shimizu Raiko
That's like saying to a person who's lost three limbs, "Hey you still have one arm, be happy!"

The fact is this site has declined and instead of accepting it, I think it's better to rally for change before they cut off the remaining arm.

I don't use gaia cash and I have 552k from selling ink. At this rate I have no idea if I can even complete this cosplay avi because everything keeps inflating. By the time I have 800 million, everything will be worth several billion. While gaia has good conversation, so does every other website on the internet; some sites have better conversation because the userbase is older or more specialized. For me personally Gaia hasn't done anything that makes it unique and keeps people coming back besides the avatars. Gaia isn't developing anything else--zOMG is basically dead, what happened to the battle mode introduced a while back?, the art arenas are not so good, etc. I'm basically coming back out of nostalgia and avatars.

When one big draw is being limited to cash-only people, there's no real incentive for me to stay.
Erm...no it's not. Could you not use false equivolance or at least back it up with some proof.

Secondly Gaia was on the decline for years since it first started. If Gaia kept doing just donations instead then it wouldn't have lived to see it's 11th year and would have closed down in 2006 or 2008 like so many other sites have in the past.

As for Zomg it's been explained ad nauseum that the devs have left or been fired and that the current devs either don't know/weren't taugh how to use the original code or be weren't given the original code. You can't work on something without the original code and trying to do it from scratch would be near impossible. It doesn't work however you envision it to.

And if you don't see the incentive then why even post in the forums? neutral

Ruthless Saint

Astra Green
Erm...no it's not. Could you not use false equivolance or at least back it up with some proof.
You'll have to specify what exactly needs backing up. I do not see any evidence in support of OP's argument. I believe you are misusing the term.
Astra Green
Secondly Gaia was on the decline for years since it first started. If Gaia kept doing just donations instead then it wouldn't have lived to see it's 11th year and would have closed down in 2006 or 2008 like so many other sites have in the past.
I did not argue that Gaia needs to live on donations. I never argued that I am against GCash, only that I choose not to use it. My argument is that Gaia's current policies are not productive for maintaining its userbase, which is a vital source of income (ads) and for the existence of the site. If Gaia continues to push away its users, it will collapse.
Astra Green
As for Zomg it's been explained ad nauseum that the devs have left or been fired and that the current devs either don't know/weren't taugh how to use the original code or be weren't given the original code. You can't work on something without the original code and trying to do it from scratch would be near impossible. It doesn't work however you envision it to.
The point there was that they are not creating anything new to keep Gaia interesting and to retain its users. I did not argue that they needed to fix zOMG specifically; it was an example of the decline in things to do on this site.
Astra Green
And if you don't see the incentive then why even post in the forums? neutral
I am hoping they will change their policies instead of self-destructing this site. I also disagreed strongly with the sentiment expressed in OP. I don't believe we should take bad policy and live with it. I don't believe we should accommodate to the constant release of gold generators and to ten cash shop announcements a day and to a non-communicative staff that does not address the concerns voiced by thousands of users in Site Feedback.

I think we should work to change it to stop the site from self-destructing.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
Cracks knuckles on this is going to be a long post, so warning in advance. Short answer: Yes, but it's not the only reason why people have and still do quit this site. So I will explain the reasons why friends and family have left the site.

Ok first for my household siblings why they left. Gaia got boring for them. My sister is using Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest now because she prefers talking to real people and sharing pictures with them. She also loves the games on Facebook because they are fun and constantly get updated. My brother logs on to change his avi and then logs back off. He got tired of Gaia being so cash focused and joked how Gaia cash is the normal currency now, not gold. He's like oh that was a site I used in high school, it's no longer cool anymore. His friends that were on the site have moved onto other games and sites, so he moved with them. He currently is enjoying Minecraft and Dota.

Now for the long list of why friends and people in forums leaving. The constant announcements has caused a good portion of my friendlist to quit the site currently. It's like when majority of announcements is for a sale, recolor, or discount on cash, what is the sense of the announcements being called community announcements? It has nothing to do with community, but solidarity purchasing activities. I came back to over 100+ announcements after taking my hiatus and was like what happened to Gaia? It's insane the number of announcements are surpassing the number of telemarketing calls and e-mail spam I get.

Artists are finding gold worthless, so moving to deviantart because they rather make a fair amount of cash for all their hard work then the useless amount of gold they can make on this site. Gold prices on game items for aquariums and zOMG! have gone up so much users find doing these activities a waste of their time compared to vending. Gold caps have caused people to leave for other games that don't have that restriction.

Other reasons not having to do anything with inflation of why people are leaving: lack of updates on features, manga not being updated, increasing number of glitches, leaving with friends to other sites, site getting boring for some, death threats, being judged on what they wear and post in forums, offended that their money went to Gaia's new adult site that is a poor copycat of other sites, lack of interactive events with their friends, feeling like site feedback is useless as well as lack or wait of customer service, staff leaving, losing meebo, and feeling like they can't afford cash shop so they get their money's worth in MMO games now. None of the games are receiving updates right now even though we got a few new games, so it's causing people to leave as well. Towns 2 received some, but housing is badly outdated. I probably missed a few, but yeah for the little things that people do on Gaiaonline; users are finding better, more updated, and good customer service on other sites and games. I guess another thing is the Gaia userbase is growing up and no longer has time for this site, so with not enough new users coming in and staying on this site, I could see how the community is feeling like it is dying. If they do have time for things, it's using mobile devices instead and Gaia just hasn't converted everything that can be done on the main site to a mobile device yet.

But I'll sum it up on what a friend said yesterday: Gaia doesn't realize that it's not the cash shop that keeps people coming back on Gaiaonline, it's the interaction between friends. Why I feel sorry when people say they have no friends themselves, yet tell others to leave and quit the site so they don't have to deal with them. The whole sense of community idea is dying. Forums are more hostile simply because of inflation and new management, which I'm finding sad. The reason why I still stick around is because I still have friends that enjoy playing and goofing off on zOMG! with me. I still play it despite inflation and it's the only reason why I joined this site.

The other things that Gaia offers I could get a better deal by buying the Sims games. That has forums, dress up, housing, cars, artists, writing, fishing, collecting items, storytelling, roleplaying, etc. that Gaiaonline also offers which is what attracted me to this site were the similarities between the two. What is different is that Sims does not have it's own MMO which I can say that other avatar sites don't have as well. When events were done really good, that is what set Gaiaonline apart as well. Then third thing that Gaia used to have that made them different was staff interaction which they lost with the ATA going away.

I know I'm going to get drama explaining all the different reasons why Gaians are leaving, but it's just based on what I've observed over the years. I did mention the strong points about the site as well. Any site has its pros and cons, so please Gaians don't take it personal. I get asked by my brother and sister everyday why I'm still using this site and somedays I'm like I don't know I just enjoy it.

Tactical Superhero

Genkai taught me well
Way too much gold generator abuse going on these days.
is this a reason for the "gaia is dying because of inflation" option?

Tactical Superhero

Shimizu Raiko
The example you have given, "lose an arm at least you have three limbs left" is not comparable to a new user who "doesn't get a chance of becoming rich without spending money".

Secondly, the point of this thread is to show people to stop making threads about inflation because it's getting old. That's why I posted the forums I enjoyed (of course, if people do not enjoy the same thing, and if there is nothing they find enjoyable in this site except for the pixels, then I can say nothing about that anymore.)

The point of this thread is that Gaia is NOT dying because of inflation.

It could be dying of something else, such as, a lot of users have pointed out, not updating features such as ZOMG or the gold shell out by the games in the site.

Gaia could be dying that way. But, NOT as inflation. I do believe a lot of Gaians stick here not just for the pixels. But since this inflation has been an issue, it's everything people talk about. It clutters GCD. I mean I guess they can do that on SF, complain to Gaia about the gold gens, but the GCD has enough inflation threads.

And that is the main point of this thread. Hope this gets through, I just started ignoring replies to me that still don't get my point because gahhhh it's so tiring to repeat and repeat and repeat.

Ruthless Saint

student doctor
The example you have given, "lose an arm at least you have three limbs left" is not comparable to a new user who "doesn't get a chance of becoming rich without spending money".
It's called a metaphor. As the site you linked to explains, "false equivolence" is when "there is no equivalence between the two sides, when one is supported by evidence, and the other side with little or no evidence, of which most is of low quality." The definition of "false equivolance" is completely irrelevant in this situation as neither your original post nor my metaphor are arguments supported by evidence. Please do not use terms you don't understand to sound smart. This annoys me. Thanks.
student doctor
Secondly, the point of this thread is to show people to stop making threads about inflation because it's getting old. That's why I posted the forums I enjoyed (of course, if people do not enjoy the same thing, and if there is nothing they find enjoyable in this site except for the pixels, then I can say nothing about that anymore.)

The point of this thread is that Gaia is NOT dying because of inflation.

It could be dying of something else, such as, a lot of users have pointed out, not updating features such as ZOMG or the gold shell out by the games in the site.

Gaia could be dying that way. But, NOT as inflation. I do believe a lot of Gaians stick here not just for the pixels. But since this inflation has been an issue, it's everything people talk about. It clutters GCD. I mean I guess they can do that on SF, complain to Gaia about the gold gens, but the GCD has enough inflation threads.

And that is the main point of this thread. Hope this gets through, I just started ignoring replies to me that still don't get my point because gahhhh it's so tiring to repeat and repeat and repeat.
Your thread contributes nothing to Gaia. Inflation is not the only cause of Gaia's decline, but it definitely plays a part. There are so many inflation posts because there is a problem and how exactly does your thread help fix the problem?

At this point you're just grasping at straws to not seem completely wrong. Admit it. There is a problem with Gaia and saying "pixels aren't everything!" isn't helpful at all. There is a reason why your thread has such low ratings. It's pointless and the fact that you are nitpicking in order to not admit your mistakes annoys me.

Tactical Superhero

Shimizu Raiko
First, if you meant "false equivolance" I don't know what that means. I did not use that term. I don't know what in my statement "The example you have given, "lose an arm at least you have three limbs left" is not comparable to a new user who "doesn't get a chance of becoming rich without spending money"" sounded "smart" for you. I used basic terms.

Second of all, the metaphor you gave ..... eh. I guess I see what you mean. It is a similar situation, but at entirely and DRASTICALLY different degrees. I mean being able to afford pixels vs. losing a limb? Come on.

Also, my thread did contribute to Gaia, because a lot of people here posted and approved of my statements. They're sick of the "inflation threads" everywhere. Are you not sick of that too? And I am happy the way Gaia is. The only thing that bothers me about inflation is that people can't stop complaining about it. They were reminded of what Gaia is about. And they forgot their wishlist fantasies.

And I don't care about my thread's rating lol. People think I'm making a mistake because they put arguments that are totally out of the bounds of my thread. I say Gaia is not dying because of inflation and the only argument to that is Gaia is dying because of inflation. But people don't post here to argue that. They post here to say Gaia is dying because of lack of zomg updates and other site features, etc. But NOT because of inflation. They say it's part of it blah blah, but it's NOT.

But I guess you won't get what I mean either, just like the rest who came here.

Have a nice day. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces