Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think Gaia is dying because of inflation? Justify your answer in a reply! :)

Yes, because... 0.48660714285714 48.7% [ 109 ]
No, because... 0.51339285714286 51.3% [ 115 ]
Total Votes:[ 224 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 >

Tactical Superhero

ChibiRodan
student doctor

I was Mad then I found I can still play HOC. I love HOC.

I haven't played that game in a long time! And I suck at it so, xd

Tactical Superhero

Kuroii Panda
student doctor
not only do I agree but I've noticed that, now that there's less focus on gold and items...the community feeling is back!!
It's really good news heart

Aishyteru Panda's Husband

Moonlight Bear

30,400 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
not only do I agree but I've noticed that, now that there's less focus on gold and items...the community feeling is back!!
I know! I've met some wonderful people in the past few months. And I feel the focus is going back to feeling like a community. smile

Tactical Superhero

Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
I know! I've met some wonderful people in the past few months. And I feel the focus is going back to feeling like a community. smile
Are you participating in the event? smile

Cute Furry

I feel like it's a slow burn. Yeah, you've still got a community of forums and towns dwellers, but it's going to stagnate if Gaia keeps its current pace up.

I mean, look at the state Gaia has been in. The economy is all but destroyed and nearly inaccessible to new users. The economy and avatar dressing are core features of the site, and their wanton inflation of the market is detrimental to both.

Yeah, they may be "just pixels." But they're the pixels that Gaia hopes will bring in and sustain new business.

Combine that with the fact that development of new permanent features have slowed to a crawl (if not stopped outright thanks to only having two developers on staff) and that a lot of old features have fallen to neglect and you've got a site that's going to have a hard time holding onto anyone who isn't just plain addicted.

Gaia's death isn't impending, and it might not even be an inevitability, but they've got a bit to turn around on to stop the smouldering.
student doctor
Moonlight_Splendor
student doctor

Let's all be happy and remember what Gaia is to us and why we're here. We're a community first before we're pixel lovers.
You overlook one vital component.
the Gaia administration is not happy with us just being the same ole happy community.
They want our money, and they ain't shy about it.
No pay...well.
What proof do you have that Gaia is not happy that we're a happy community?
And even if they do want our money, it's our choice if we give it or not. You overlook that vital component.
Had they been happy with the way it was, it would have stayed the same. Then inflation wouldn't have gone crazy. Games wouldn't have abandoned. And maybe, just maybe, Panagrammic and DJ Helsing and Ling and Uncle Kenny etc etc might still be here.

Sure, you have a choice to spend your money, just as at any business. But watch what happens to a business w/ no income, yet still has employees and expenses to pay.

Moonlight Bear

30,400 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
When I have time X3
I do believe that the insane inflation is killing the site, but there are also MANY other factors which are causing that. Let's just address the inflation right now since that's what this thread is asking for.

From my perspective, inflation is indeed killing this site. There are so many of us here (myself included) that can't afford to purchase Gaia Cash. GC is a wonderful luxury if you can afford it, but I don't have $20 laying around somewhere to purchase something like this. Because of that, I'm left to obtain gold however possible if I want anything.

Now you might say, "Well, that's fine, isn't it? Just work and get your gold for that item you want!" That's fine to say until you realize that every item on the market has seen drastic price increases. How on earth do you expect someone who can't afford GC to purchase items that range from 1 to 500 MILLION gold? Even the items that were previously 50K to 100K have risen to well over a million. I remember when the Oculus Magica/Mythica (a personal favorite item of mine) was just 80K max. Today? It's 21 million and not going down anytime soon...

Now before you start ranting about me being someone who doesn't want to work for the gold, let me tell you what I use to do for my items. I have many, many accounts on here. I would often for several hours a day log onto those accounts and post, do booty grab, and other assorted Gaia activities. It was not uncommon for me to spend well over 40 hours a week here trying to earn up my gold. I couldn't afford GC and this was all I could do if I wanted something. Thing was, it wasn't too bad because I could earn up to a million gold a month if I was diligent and fortunate enough which allowed me to buy items that I wanted. With the recent inflation, this same method I've used for years is no longer effective... It will take me YEARS to earn a single item that I could have otherwise obtained in a couple of months time without the inflation... In this market, a million a month with spending 20 to 40 hours doing the same monotonous thing over and over for it just isn't worth it to me anymore... How many other users are in this same boat as I am?

Putting it simply for those who don't like to read long posts:
I can't afford GC and I resorted to other methods of obtaining gold. It was very possible to obtain your items in the past with hard work and diligence, but gold users can't do that anymore without spending insane, extreme lengths of time here. The inflation has killed any hope of the common user from obtaining anything. Only those who can afford the luxuries, or are fortunate enough to cash into this market with their valuables item purchased in the past will prosper. No one else is going to and those that can't are going to leave. Hence, inflation is killing the site.

You can argue all day long that inflation isn't affecting the site. Yes, people are posting and role playing as usual. Those people though are loyal members who don't want to up and leave everything that is familiar to them. I myself have grown distant from this place because of what's happened, but I remain because I don't want to lose touch with those I've met here... I just use this place to chat though as there is no hope for me in the market place... While those who are loyal will most likely remain quietly, good luck encouraging any new members to sign up when they realize how impossible it is to get ahead here without paying money to do so.

Shy Gawker

8,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
There are pple on Gaia who assume that everyone enjoys doing those things...the best part of the Gaian appeal is to be able to dress up your avi in a multitude of ways and show it off to others WHILE hanging out and doing those things you mentioned. Without that Gaia is nothing more than a glorified chat site. If that's what pple really wanted then there are dozens of other good chat sites to pick from, there would be no real need for Gaia.

True, Gaia doesn't 'make' you buy or grind for pixels, but the way they're handling things doesn't leave much room for interpretation when it's clear why they released gold generators to jack up the prices on items and released more cash shops. People aren't complaining for no reason you know, the inflation is gross. It's pretty much nearly stamps out the group of pple who don't wish to shell out cash for making the avi they want. Normally, the only pple who have a problem with the complaints are the ones who have treasure troves of items and don't mind wasting cash on pixels.

I, like many other pple, came to this site because it offered something different from the typical chat forums, you actually have the ability to give yourself an actual appearance over the web, without posting rl pics of yourself. That's pretty much the whole allure of Gaia, and for a good number of pple Gaia is forsaking that in favor of coaxing out cash. It helps to look at things from all perspectives, and no, I'm not saying anything that you said is wrong, I'm just saying that the complaints are not unfounded.

Tactical Superhero

Moonlight_Splendor
student doctor
Moonlight_Splendor
student doctor

Let's all be happy and remember what Gaia is to us and why we're here. We're a community first before we're pixel lovers.
You overlook one vital component.
the Gaia administration is not happy with us just being the same ole happy community.
They want our money, and they ain't shy about it.
No pay...well.
What proof do you have that Gaia is not happy that we're a happy community?
And even if they do want our money, it's our choice if we give it or not. You overlook that vital component.
Had they been happy with the way it was, it would have stayed the same. Then inflation wouldn't have gone crazy. Games wouldn't have abandoned. And maybe, just maybe, Panagrammic and DJ Helsing and Ling and Uncle Kenny etc etc might still be here.

Sure, you have a choice to spend your money, just as at any business. But watch what happens to a business w/ no income, yet still has employees and expenses to pay.
So I don't see the problem. Gaia has income.

Tactical Superhero

Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
When I have time X3
That's good! I'm trying to win at Switchem haha

Moonlight Bear

30,400 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
When I have time X3
I got the first three, which is all I ever get in Switchem XD

Tactical Superhero

Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
Kuroii Panda
student doctor
When I have time X3
I got the first three, which is all I ever get in Switchem XD
haha yeah it's pretty difficult! i wanna finish until i get those pink overalls. XD

Vermillion Kitten

13,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Marathon 300
student doctor
Check Barton Town, a lot of happy folks roleplaying they're creative wits out.
Check General Discussion, they're still the ruthless kids who come up with little discussion yet they're cool with it
Check out the Mini Shops, people making art for the extrinsic reward of gold, but mostly to practice what they're good at
Check out Game of Thrones where people are happy about Joffrey's death
... and I can go on. i.e. including but not limited to what i mentioned; some of you take it so literally! lol

When have you actually lurked and seen the other forums?

They are happy with what Gaia offers them: that is interaction, creativity, communication.

Let's forget about the items and the cash shop. You're not forced to buy any of those.

If you're pissed that you can't afford that one expensive quest item, then you just let it pass. Those are just pixels.

I think this site doesn't die because there are enough of us here maintaining a community presence despite the inflation and despite the five billion b***h threads there are dedicated to it.

Those of us that really want to hang out here will find a way to do so.

Tactical Superhero

CanesGalactica
I think this site doesn't die because there are enough of us here maintaining a community presence despite the inflation and despite the five billion b***h threads there are dedicated to it.

Those of us that really want to hang out here will find a way to do so.
I agree. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces