Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think Gaia is dying because of inflation? Justify your answer in a reply! :)

Yes, because... 0.48660714285714 48.7% [ 109 ]
No, because... 0.51339285714286 51.3% [ 115 ]
Total Votes:[ 224 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Beloved Friend

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Day7
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I've legit dropped over 100s in a period of three months

But, I also had items I don't use anymore that I've traded for better items that I've sold and used to buy more etc etc
at the beginning of this year I had 23k gold

I sit currently far, far above that and apparently the general populace...Which happens to be good, because I donate a lot lol

Ahhh, well that's quite another story. If you're spending money on GaiaCash, the state of the marketplace right now is actually quite favorable I think. Especially with Gaia re-releasing a lot of the older rares and desirables, their price has dropped in relation to how much gold you can get if you buy and sell new cash shop releases. I could see how you've been able to do well for yourself.

I'm like you in the second respect- I have a lot of items I don't use anymore, or don't like as much, that I've been able to sell or trade to get new ones. Since I don't buy GaiaCash, that's my best and only method for getting new pretties.

Tactical Superhero

Darkchild Angel
Sometimes I feel like there's this idea that someone who's here "for the pixels" is somehow lesser than those that are here for "the community". There would BE no Gaia community if it weren't for the pixels; the avatars and the general anime-feel were a huge draw to new users back in Gaia's early days. Lots of people liked anime and manga, and this was a place that catered to that interest and fed into the visual esthetic that appealed to such users. The pixels of Gaia aren't worth killing over, or lying over, or (in my opinion) spending $20 over- that's what "it's just pixels" refers to. However, I don't think it's fair to pretend that Gaia's pixels aren't an integral part of the site. Maybe if tomorrow ALL the pixels disappeared and Gaia became a straightforward forum site then some people might stick around, but I doubt it. The pixels are what made Gaia awesome at its inception, and the pixels continue to be a huge draw. (As evidenced by the fact that people are, in fact, spending $20 to get pixel items. Sometimes more!)

Well, maybe because Gaia is mainly a forum site is why you feel that way. And I'm in no way pretending pixels are not an integral part. Like I said, pixels aren't everything. That's my main point. Hope this one gets through this time.

I never said that you had to abstain from cash shop items, or that you had to wear only gold shop items. I only said that as someone decked head-to-toe in cash shop stuff, you don't seem to be putting your money where your mouth it. Sure, maybe you own all the gold shop items, but what you choose to wear most often speaks to your preferences more than what you own. I don't know you, so I don't know what your avatar habits are- I just noticed that while you're advocating for the wonderfulness of goldshop items, you weren't wearing a single one. That's sort of like a politician giving a speech on poverty and the hardships of the working class while wearing a bespoke Italian suit and heavy gold jewelry.

I have a bunch of avatars. You have seen all of them. This is the only avi you have seen of me, so isn't that a bit unfair to base my preferences on this avatar I have right now? And I don't think the situation you gave was a comparable one. As I've said, I reacted that way when you said you needed to pay money to have "good" and "cute" items. I said, you don't have to buy those items to have "good and cute" items. I don't see why you don't get my point, and instead look at my avatar and make a comment about my avatar preferences. Maybe you can make that opinion if I said I advocate the use of goldshop because that's where style is and not the cash shop, while I wear clothes that are not from a gold shop. But I didn't. I simply said an open statement, not dependent on my avatar right now.

You can get cute and cool items from the gold shops- I absolutely agree. But the items that people want the most, the cutest and the coolest, are not to be found in the gold shops. Multi-pose items, body modification items, items with really nice art or details.... 99.99% are cash shop items.

You can't say what most people want, because there hasn't been a poll. What makes it seem that way is when a new cash shop item comes out, a lot buy it. So that's the illusion. Cute and cool is entirely subjective. But even if that's the case, then it will depend on the person if he will continue to like items and buy them. Not a problem. It's their money. If they found it not worth it, then they'd just let it go. If you mean they can't get their taste of items because it's in the cash shops, then eventually noncash spenders would opt for a cheaper option. Or they could opt not to buy at all. It all depends.

O24's Partner

Aged Gaian

Darkchild Angel
Day7
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I've legit dropped over 100s in a period of three months

But, I also had items I don't use anymore that I've traded for better items that I've sold and used to buy more etc etc

I sit currently far, far above that and apparently the general populace...Which happens to be good, because I donate a lot lol

Ahhh, well that's quite another story. If you're spending money on GaiaCash, the state of the marketplace right now is actually quite favorable I think. Especially with Gaia re-releasing a lot of the older rares and desirables, their price has dropped in relation to how much gold you can get if you buy and sell new cash shop releases. I could see how you've been able to do well for yourself.

I'm like you in the second respect- I have a lot of items I don't use anymore, or don't like as much, that I've been able to sell or trade to get new ones. Since I don't buy GaiaCash, that's my best and only method for getting new pretties.

User Image
How up to date do you keep your wishlist btw
Do you remove items you have gotten?
ninja

Perfect Saint

Many people seem to have gotten used to this new Gaia and one can easily admit that certain items are easier to get and there are far more to choose from than before. I'm lazy so I depend on GC, but I'm actually hoping I don't have to as much as I am.

Beloved Friend

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Day7
Darkchild Angel
Day7

User Image
ninja

Oh the wishlist... I wish it was possible to update it through the marketplace or directly through the profile.

Basically the stuff near the bottom (newest added) are the things I want and don't have yet. At the moment, from Cupcake Cutie on it's stuff I don't have.

My list scares me sometimes.... crying

O24's Partner

Aged Gaian

Darkchild Angel
Day7
Darkchild Angel
Day7

User Image
ninja

Oh the wishlist... I wish it was possible to update it through the marketplace or directly through the profile.

Basically the stuff near the bottom (newest added) are the things I want and don't have yet. At the moment, from Cupcake Cutie on it's stuff I don't have.

My list scares me sometimes.... crying

User Image
You are unable to edit yours? Usually in the mp when you click the wishlist link it takes you to the edit page :O
Maybe people are richer now or more willing to buy pixels than they were ten years ago?

O24's Partner

Aged Gaian

UNSUB
Maybe people are richer now or more willing to buy pixels than they were ten years ago?

User Image
Technically, since there are more users now than 10 years ago, that's probably quite likely lol
student doctor
Check Barton Town, a lot of happy folks roleplaying they're creative wits out.
Check General Discussion, they're still the ruthless kids who come up with little discussion yet they're cool with it
Check out the Mini Shops, people making art for the extrinsic reward of gold, but mostly to practice what they're good at
Check out Game of Thrones where people are happy about Joffrey's death
... and I can go on. i.e. including but not limited to what i mentioned; some of you take it so literally! lol

When have you actually lurked and seen the other forums?

They are happy with what Gaia offers them: that is interaction, creativity, communication.

Let's forget about the items and the cash shop. You're not forced to buy any of those.

If you're pissed that you can't afford that one expensive quest item, then you just let it pass. Those are just pixels.

Let's all be happy and remember what Gaia is to us and why we're here. We're a community first before we're pixel lovers.

No gaia is not JUST dying from inflation, users are being putt off my poor customer service, lack of site updates, bug glitches that really need fixing, and more. Not everyone who comes to this website is here for the same thing, when you have your friends leave one after another after another how would that make you feel? There are less people doing games on gaia than before, zOMG is almost a ghost town now. so yes there will always be those who come for a good chat in the forums but with items being so expensive and little ways to get gold other than spending real money people are going to buy less.
Day7
UNSUB

User Image
Technically, since there are more users now than 10 years ago, that's probably quite likely lol

I think so. Gaia is finally getting that new batch of moneyed users it always wanted. The new generation.

O24's Partner

Aged Gaian

Kurochan1
student doctor
Check Barton Town, a lot of happy folks roleplaying they're creative wits out.
Check General Discussion, they're still the ruthless kids who come up with little discussion yet they're cool with it
Check out the Mini Shops, people making art for the extrinsic reward of gold, but mostly to practice what they're good at
Check out Game of Thrones where people are happy about Joffrey's death
... and I can go on. i.e. including but not limited to what i mentioned; some of you take it so literally! lol

When have you actually lurked and seen the other forums?

They are happy with what Gaia offers them: that is interaction, creativity, communication.

Let's forget about the items and the cash shop. You're not forced to buy any of those.

If you're pissed that you can't afford that one expensive quest item, then you just let it pass. Those are just pixels.

Let's all be happy and remember what Gaia is to us and why we're here. We're a community first before we're pixel lovers.

No gaia is not JUST dying from inflation, users are being putt off my poor customer service, lack of site updates, bug glitches that really need fixing, and more. Not everyone who comes to this website is here for the same thing, when you have your friends leave one after another after another how would that make you feel? There are less people doing games on gaia than before, zOMG is almost a ghost town now. so yes there will always be those who come for a good chat in the forums but with items being so expensive and little ways to get gold other than spending real money people are going to buy less.

User Image
I've only got two active friends on here these days, one of which has been mia for like two weeks
games dont cover much in the way of gold anymore, zomg was abandoned when it was costing more money than it was "worth"
As for customer service, I had a pretty good time with it, though it is rather slow (it's always been slow)..updates are legit like once to twice a month, so... yeah
Haven't personally encountered any bugs or glitches yet, so I can't comment in regards to that

Beloved Friend

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
student doctor

Look, I really don't feel like we're going to see eye to eye on this. For my part, I feel like I'm arguing with Marie Antoinette or something... While there are many cute, cool, and inexpensive items (both in the gold shops and in the marketplace), there are MANY MANY MANY more that are only available if you spend cash or if you have millions-billions to buy them. A person can think that McDonald's breakfast menu is delicious- that's a matter of opinion. But nobody in their right mind could ignore the fact that there are many more delicious things out there that cost much more than McDonalds. Gaia's items are like that- there are nice cheap items, but there are many more nicer items that are incredibly expensive. If that analogy doesn't work for you, then I really have nothing else to say on the matter.

You keep repeating that pixels aren't everything. I'm not disagreeing with that statement! Pixels are PART of what makes Gaia great. I can't say what percentage of Gaia is forums and what percentage is pixels, I think that's up to individual preferences, but both are important. The idea that pixels don't matter at all- that's what I disagree with.

Lastly, I don't need a poll to see what's plainly true. What most people want is what's expensive on the MP- that's WHY it's expensive. If it wasn't desirable, nobody would want to buy it, and the sellers wouldn't be able to price it so high. Supply and demand- if there was no demand, the prices would go down because there would be an oversupply of product. If 10 items are on the marketplace but only 1 person wants to buy the item, it's a buyer's market and prices are low. If 10 items are in the marketplace and there's 100 people wanting to buy it, prices are astronomical.

Marketplace aside, what's desirable is also evident by simple observation- I see people wearing recolors, people wearing cash shop exclusive, people wearing rig items and monthly collectibles... unless it's a brand new user or someone who doesn't have a lot of gold, I just don't SEE people wearing much from the gold shops. I lurk on Gaia lot and avatar watching is a hobby of mine, so I don't need a poll to confirm what my eyeballs have observed. People like the well-drawn, multi-pose, brand new items. Sometimes it's the novelty factor (like the body mods), sometimes it's a color scheme that's hard to find elsewhere, sometimes it's just the simple fact that newer items are just plain pretty.

Beloved Friend

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Day7

User Image
You are unable to edit yours? Usually in the mp when you click the wishlist link it takes you to the edit page :O

Whaaaaa? Really? Mine doesn't do that..... I think! o.O *runs to go see*

Beloved Friend

8,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
UNSUB

Definitely possible!

It's not like I'm not spending money in real life on fun stuff; I just prefer to spend my dollars on tangible good that I can actually claim to own. 3nodding To each their own, I'm definitely not knocking anyone's spending habits!

O24's Partner

Aged Gaian

Darkchild Angel
Day7

User Image

Whaaaaa? Really? Mine doesn't do that..... I think! o.O *runs to go see*

User Image
Easier still:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/account/wishlist/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items