Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Eruravenne
frozen_water
Eruravenne
I would have preferred if the item was more generally Sherlock Holmes themed. I mean, BBC's Sherlock isn't the only interpretation in existence. It's not even the only current one. But since it's the one Reapersun is obsessed with, that's the one we get. neutral
I'm getting so sick of these comments.

You didn't get stuck with some item just because it's reapersun's fandom, you were given (as in a gift, that she was under no obligation to give you) because reapersun spent the time and effort to produce a free item and event for all of us on that day.

I don't know why people seem to feel so entitled that they criticize a free item and event done on an artist's own efforts.

If you had to pay, if it occupied a major (or even real holiday, if it came at the expense of something else, or in any way prevented the production of something else I could understand the complaints, but it didn't so there is absolutely no reason to complain about the item.

Blah, blah, blah... Yeah, it was free. And I didn't bother to get it because I didn't want it. I'm allowed to not like something, even when it's free. I don't have to worship the ground an artist pukes on, just because the puke was free.

For the people who like Sherlock, great, they get something they want. I like Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock Holmes is much, much more than just the current BBC show. The holiday was for Sherlock Holmes, not BBC's Sherlock. There's not exactly a huge leap in logic required to expect an item made in honor of a holiday the celebrates Sherlock Holmes to be themed around Sherlock Holmes in general. But honestly, I didn't expect that. I expected exactly what we got. It doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be slightly disappointed. It's not like I'm losing sleep over this or sending Reapersun creepy death threats made of cut up magazines or anything. I just don't like the item. Geez.
I wasn't referring to the first part about just liking the item, that's whatever, it was more this bit, "But since it's the one Reapersun is obsessed with, that's the one we get. neutral ".

This line along with the accompanying face implies that something else should have been provided in its stead, but instead, because of who reapersun is, you got this one. Which isn't really a fair critique as reapersun not doing it would not have provided a different item, but no item.

Perfect Saint

We need more artists obsessing over other things so we get even more freebies.

Questionable Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Myrielle

Oh dont worry, the other artists have their obsessions, I know Fayren's tumblr is about 99% Transformers Prime

they just don't get to make what they want 'cause they arent art directors or whatever reaper is

I'm afraid we're stuck with her shitty tastes till someone else gets promoted

Ruthless Prophet

11,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
The Undead Suitor
Myrielle

Oh dont worry, the other artists have their obsessions, I know Fayren's tumblr is about 99% Transformers Prime

they just don't get to make what they want 'cause they arent art directors or whatever reaper is

I'm afraid we're stuck with her shitty tastes till someone else gets promoted
Inb4 the reaper fangirls/boys b***h you out.

Unholy Firestarter

19,150 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
I don't see why people have to complain about free things. Free entertainment, free item, free puzzle, probably at the expense of reapersun's own time. Complaining that her taste is bad taste, or that you didn't have your favorite fandom highlighted, or you can't have this, or can't have that, kind of makes the complainee look like a petulant child. You don't have to like her, her items, her fandoms, or anything in particular, but complaining about it is a complete waste of everyone's time. Suggest what you'd like, like a person with some courtesy, at least an air of understanding and respect for a professional.

If you haven't noticed, Waffles is everywhere. Basically created a fandom. I guess you're going to be pissed about that at some point because Lanzer likes his cat.
Sir Black Tea
]Fandoms are a fickle thing. They're mostly populated by obsessives that you wouldn't want to deal with,
Your thread isn't starting off very well. I was going to make a joke about either generalizations or strawmen but honestly it was just too easy.

Quote:
But being a fan of something drove someone to create (now multiple) dedication items, and a pixel for pixel copy of Benny C himself now lurks in our inventories.
Ok sure. I mean, we've gotten Justin Timberlake and Michael Jackson items before but okay, I'll concede this point.

Quote:
This leads me to the topic of the thread: why does this show get such a blatant reference (specifically to the show and not to the culture surrounding Sherlock Holmes) as well as a sitewide puzzle and day dedicated to it?
Because whoever came up with/approved the event probably liked the show.
Quote:
Why not other shows?
Because the person who planned/created this event probably didn't like other shows as much.

Quote:
- Why does Sherlock get a day, puzzle, and a blatantly referencing item dedicated to it while other media does not?
Except other media does get referenced. All the time. Naruto was probably the most blatant example. The 'puzzle' was also completely optional.
Quote:
-Would you like to see more accurately referencing items to fandoms in the future?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you alluding to the fact that while the day is supposed to be about Holmes in general, the event on Gaia seems to be focusing more on the BBC show Sherlock? If that is what you're asking then frankly, I don't care whether or not the references to fandoms are accurate or not. I participate in fandoms that I identify with elsewhere and therefore don't mind too much how Gaia views the franchises or stories or whatevers that I consider myself a fan of.

If on the other hand, do I hope that more fandoms get super-specific references to them in the future? I think this is a moot point because there are already a LOOOOOOT of very specific references to different fandoms. I'm actually not too happy with the idea of items based explicitly on other media at all since it sort of kills creativity in avatar cosplaying but some of the items look pretty snazzy. I don't think I'd ever get up in arms about it.

Quote:
-What did you think about this entire Sherlock debacle?
Debacle is a poor choice of word. I think it was kind of neat that a completely optional, and not super advertised event took place on Gaia and I appreciate the time and effort that went into it. I'm a fan of both Conan Doyle's stories and the BBC productions of Sherlock but I find that many of the fans of the show like it for... well, I'm not going to say 'the wrong reasons' since there are no objectively wrong reasons to like or dislike something, but generally the people I see who enjoy Sherlock, do so for reasons that make me respect them less as an intelligent person.

Dapper Bear

12,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Flatterer 200
the_true_iori
Sir Black Tea
]Fandoms are a fickle thing. They're mostly populated by obsessives that you wouldn't want to deal with,
Your thread isn't starting off very well. I was going to make a joke about either generalizations or strawmen but honestly it was just too easy.

Quote:
But being a fan of something drove someone to create (now multiple) dedication items, and a pixel for pixel copy of Benny C himself now lurks in our inventories.
Ok sure. I mean, we've gotten Justin Timberlake and Michael Jackson items before but okay, I'll concede this point.

Quote:
This leads me to the topic of the thread: why does this show get such a blatant reference (specifically to the show and not to the culture surrounding Sherlock Holmes) as well as a sitewide puzzle and day dedicated to it?
Because whoever came up with/approved the event probably liked the show.
Quote:
Why not other shows?
Because the person who planned/created this event probably didn't like other shows as much.

Quote:
- Why does Sherlock get a day, puzzle, and a blatantly referencing item dedicated to it while other media does not?
Except other media does get referenced. All the time. Naruto was probably the most blatant example. The 'puzzle' was also completely optional.
Quote:
-Would you like to see more accurately referencing items to fandoms in the future?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you alluding to the fact that while the day is supposed to be about Holmes in general, the event on Gaia seems to be focusing more on the BBC show Sherlock? If that is what you're asking then frankly, I don't care whether or not the references to fandoms are accurate or not. I participate in fandoms that I identify with elsewhere and therefore don't mind too much how Gaia views the franchises or stories or whatevers that I consider myself a fan of.

If on the other hand, do I hope that more fandoms get super-specific references to them in the future? I think this is a moot point because there are already a LOOOOOOT of very specific references to different fandoms. I'm actually not too happy with the idea of items based explicitly on other media at all since it sort of kills creativity in avatar cosplaying but some of the items look pretty snazzy. I don't think I'd ever get up in arms about it.

Quote:
-What did you think about this entire Sherlock debacle?
Debacle is a poor choice of word. I think it was kind of neat that a completely optional, and not super advertised event took place on Gaia and I appreciate the time and effort that went into it. I'm a fan of both Conan Doyle's stories and the BBC productions of Sherlock but I find that many of the fans of the show like it for... well, I'm not going to say 'the wrong reasons' since there are no objectively wrong reasons to like or dislike something, but generally the people I see who enjoy Sherlock, do so for reasons that make me respect them less as an intelligent person.

Somebody wrote an essay dissecting my OP

This is a new level. I'm not sure if it's up or down, or what it's a level of, but this must be some sort of achievement.

Seeing as you are 14 pages late, please stop trying to change my opinion on Sherlock and whether or not I liked the event, and why this event actually happened. Congratualtions on missing the point.
It wasn't an essay. An essay would have a thesis. Depending on how pedantic you wanted to be, it could feasibly be called an analysis. The word I was going for was actually 'discussion' on account of this being the Gaia Community Discussion forum and all.

Please indicate where I tried to change your opinion. All my post did was point out some logical errors in your premise and answer some [presumably not rhetorical] questions that you yourself posed. I'm afraid that if I did 'miss the point' it was not through any fault of my own. I quite literally responded to you exactly the way that you asked users to respond.

Nowhere did I try to explain to you that you should have liked the event more than you did, nor did I try to change your opinion on why the event happened (which I don't think is even a thing that can happen? Why something happened is usually an objective characteristic despite ambiguity sometimes making it appear subjective in a historical context).

Sparkly Spotter

>>>: I think it's fun they make these random events every now and then
and I gladly take part in it. However, Benedict creeps me out so I
didn't even bother to try this time.

Rainbow Reindeer

Why does Sherlock get an item?

I'm too baffled. Why shouldn't he get an item? It's not like Gaia is lacking in fandoms and their items. This one was free, is that the problem? Or that the artists has a tumblr with sherlock naked pictures?

So it's capitalism or prudery... Wow... *shakes head*

I'm so glad I live in the Netherlands where we are glad if there are free items and do not b***h about it. We might even be glad for the homo erotic tints. emotion_kirakira But really... It's free people. What's the problem?

Frozen Lover

15,300 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Consumer 100
i really had a lot of fun solving the riddle with a lot of people~~

The item was nice too

The feeling when we finally cracked it after so long was so great that it was worth all of it.
I felt.. alive XD
It's not often I get to do stuff like that.

I also really love the Sherlock show.
So for me all of it was awesome.

Could always choose not to participate if you don't like it tho.
More events = more interesting gaia, to me at least.

Devoted Explorer

this entire thread:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

however, it's a free item, and it was a fun little event. sure, the GD was flooded with topics-- but whose fault is that? reapersun's?

i'm not a fan of sherlock, and i admit i do find it's crazed fans irritating, but it's a cute item. the hat, hair and background could be useful to somebody, regardless of whether they like the show.

i'd love to see more items based on pop culture, it'd be a lovely change of pace, especially with puzzles and little adventures. however, there are PLENTY of dedication items on this website for shows like supernatural, doctor who, etc.

really, it's only a debacle if you decide to get upset by it.

Dangerous Hunter

9,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Rogue 100
The answer is simple, this site is being run by mortals, human mortals to be precise.

The fact they just please themselves instead of looking for higher goals is quite sad but the fact we're given free items is cool. We can't say those mortals have the best values...but they still have values and I wouldn't say they are the worst either. I guess there's always hope.

Sparkly Sex Symbol

ITT:

People complaining about each other whining and actually caring for s**t.

Anyways, too bad the item was based on the s**t show.

Lonely Lunatic

13,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Champion 300
  • Battle Hardened 150
Because one of the artist is a huge fan of the show. Quick and simple explaination. She can make items and thought it would be fun to do this.

While I am not a fan of the show, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games