Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sherlock

Yes 0.53316953316953 53.3% [ 217 ]
No 0.20884520884521 20.9% [ 85 ]
Yourmumlock 0.25798525798526 25.8% [ 105 ]
Total Votes:[ 407 ]
1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 >

Rare

Fandoms are a fickle thing. They're mostly populated by obsessives that you wouldn't want to deal with, but that's a complaint for a different thread. But being a fan of something drove someone to create (now multiple) dedication items, and a pixel for pixel copy of Benny C himself now lurks in our inventories. This leads me to the topic of the thread: why does this show get such a blatant reference (specifically to the show and not to the culture surrounding Sherlock Holmes) as well as a sitewide puzzle and day dedicated to it? Why not other shows?

Short topic is short.

Discuss:

- Why does Sherlock get a day, puzzle, and a blatantly referencing item dedicated to it while other media does not?
-Would you like to see more accurately referencing items to fandoms in the future?
-What did you think about this entire Sherlock debacle?

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Personally?

Please no.

Sherlock probably has the most items dedicated to it, and frankly... I HATE SHERLOCK BECAUSE OF GAIA ONLINE.

Why did it get a dedication day? Reapersun.
Would I like to see more of these? Take it or leave it. Prefer to leave it, but free items are free items. I could use something maybe someday.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Sir Black Tea
debacle?
Debacle? Hardly.

It was apparent from the get go that reapersun was doing a sherlock themed event, and if you know the user at all, you'd know she loves the show.

You got a free item, you weren't required to do anything for it, and people who do enjoy the show love it, how is that a debacle?

Buggy Punk

Because reaps is obsessed with it and some people have been petitioning for that hat for a while.

I slept through most of it, thank god. I hate when the GCD gets wrapped up in a single thing I've lost interest in, then I have to go read other forums and it's dreadful.

Cygnus Fangirl

User Image

i admit, if it were a zyuden sentai kyoryuger item i'd be more on board for puzzle-solving and stuff x:

Rare

frozen_water
Sir Black Tea
debacle?
Debacle? Hardly.

It was apparent from the get go that reapersun was doing a sherlock themed event, and if you know the user at all, you'd know she loves the show.

You got a free item, you weren't required to do anything for it, and people who do enjoy the show love it, how is that a debacle?

Multiple threads spanning the hundreds of pages long, much ire, headaches, and name-calling for a vague hunt, complete obsession over a puzzle. How can I not call it a debacle?

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Free advertisement for BBC Sherlock biggrin they must like it.

i don't mind it. gaia would've been an otherwise less interesting place without events. i just wish the puzzles aren't so difficult for people to break. there were so many different..uh...permutations/possibilities people had to struggle with if not for the hints given to us.

but lots of people like the reference so whatevs man. i'm not a fan of sherlock (though i've watched it) but even i enjoy the item.

Time-traveling Marshmallow

32,700 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
i kinda agree. where's my "downton abbey" and "doctor who" day events and items? oh right, those are more likely to be in rigs. but!!! doctor who is 50 years now, right?

the site grant type items like this one are all fandom based. that robot unicorn item even. so it is great that gaia can go ahead and reward a free item to everyone without spending gold, but i hope they may do more fandoms too.

Desirable Genius

15,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Gaian 0
Personally I can never have enough Sherlock items.

From a broader standpoint though, as long as these fun extra items are not interfering with the art team's primary duties, why not let them indulge in the occasional goofy fandom item?

Lord knows there are plenty of items from anime and s**t that I couldn't care less about. I just don't buy them. They don't cause problems for me.

Nostalgic Otaku

The reason why Sherlock gets a day/puzzle/item is because Reapersun is a huge fan. *shrugs* The day is due to the fandom being obsessive (it does not help that the next season is being pushed even further back ugh). Because Sherlock is a huge fandom and someone who's rather fandom famous works for Gaia is the big reason. You won't get that for more obscure/smaller fandoms like... Steins;Gate or Weiss Kreuz. Bigger fandom == more people to make weird holidays for it xD

I'm not sure if I want to see such items in the future... I have a love/hate relationship with Gaia's parodies already so...

It was fun, if a bit stressful. I didn't go to sleep until 9am and then missed my class ;3;

Supernatural Trickster

29,125 Points
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Mage 100
I would love if this kind of events were more frequent, if artists got the time and would like to celebrate their fandoms with us.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
Sir Black Tea
frozen_water
Sir Black Tea
debacle?
Debacle? Hardly.

Multiple threads spanning the hundreds of pages long, much ire, headaches, and name-calling for a vague hunt, complete obsession over a puzzle. How can I not call it a debacle?
Because you had to "put up" with the GCD being really busy for a day while a bunch of users had a blast working together to solve a puzzle and unlock a free item for everyone, it's a debacle?

How egotistical can you get?

Buggy Punk

Galphath
I would love if this kind of events were more frequent, if artists got the time and would like to celebrate their fandoms with us.
I'd rather the artists keep their fap material to themselves actually. .__. Her tumblr creeps me out.

Supernatural Trickster

29,125 Points
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Mage 100
Mereluna
Galphath

I'd rather the artists keep their fap material to themselves actually. .__. Her tumblr creeps me out.

But if you don't look their tumblr accounts where is the harm?

Unholy Prophet

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Quite frankly gaia is starting to scream reddit, tumblr, and fandom.
It's getting quite annoying seeing all the meme and fandom items.

I swear if I see another mlp item I'm going to rage.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces