Welcome to Gaia! ::

baguettesy
store sellback price and what you can actually buy the item for are two different things.
in the case of guppies, you can sell them back to the store for 3 gold. BUT, you can't buy them from the gold shops. that's where the MP comes into play.

also inflation plays an important role. years ago you could probably buy a guppy for no more than 10 gold. buuuuuut due to the excess of gold in the system, prices went up. 100,000 gold is actually a very small amount in the inflated economy. so, the value of today's 100,000 gold guppy is actually more or less the same as the value of the pre-inflation 10 gold guppy.

Thanks for the info!
//stares at the HYYYYYYYYYPER inflation eek

Rainbow Harvester

Shinryuu Uroborus
baguettesy
store sellback price and what you can actually buy the item for are two different things.
in the case of guppies, you can sell them back to the store for 3 gold. BUT, you can't buy them from the gold shops. that's where the MP comes into play.

also inflation plays an important role. years ago you could probably buy a guppy for no more than 10 gold. buuuuuut due to the excess of gold in the system, prices went up. 100,000 gold is actually a very small amount in the inflated economy. so, the value of today's 100,000 gold guppy is actually more or less the same as the value of the pre-inflation 10 gold guppy.

Thanks for the info!
//stares at the HYYYYYYYYYPER inflation eek
no problem, glad to help!

yeah the inflation is pretty crazy hahaha, but what can you do?

8,725 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Fusion Expert 300
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
well i buy goldfish and guppies for 1m gold each if that also haunts you smile
<v<
>v>
<v>

No one's posting anymore.
I'll just round up the reasons I've seen in this thread. OuO

> The purchase was a mistake
> Some things are worth more than the sellback value because of the uses
> There is too much gold in the system/Gaia's hyperinflation
> People can't access a shop, so other people resell goods they got from that shops (E.g Loyal's Bazaar)
> Some things aren't available in shops, but in games that some people can't be bothered to play just for the item/s
> Some things are rare enough to be worth it
> Some items can be exchanged in shops

Aaand that's it! Hopefully this can help confused newbies.

Unholy Spark

42,875 Points
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Supply and demand. Items like the goldfish have to be caught by players and are used by players to craft items. The items take a lot of goldfish to craft, so if they were sold only at 3g one person could go and buy every goldfish available to make one item, leaving everyone else emptyhanded, which is why people charge so much for them. There is more demand than supply.

Same can be said for just about any other item you'd need to craft things, be it through fishing, tattoos, alchemy or GoFusion. If it's not sold continuously out of a store, it'll be a little more expensive.

Lucky Hoarder

74,775 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Hellraiser 500
I am at a lost when it comes to store items with actual values and sell backs. I got a pumpkin mask from the dumpster which is a Barton Boutique item I think worth 1,600g and the market average supposedly is above 64 million. neutral

My guess is that the average is glitching, or it might have been artificially inflated with a scheme such as an user places it for that much and then buys it with an alternate account or a friend buys it. Don't think anyone would pass it as a rare item and buy it at such price, unless is a super rich user that felt like wasting the gold.

Profitable Consumer

6,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Trader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
You can't buy fish from the store, you have to earn them. How much this effort is worth varies. Sort of like how they used to pay factory workers 10c/hour but now they're paying tens of dollars. Same effort, different pay.

Hyperinflation, plain and simple.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces