Welcome to Gaia! ::

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
But, I did my research, looks like this site originated in California, so I guess that that means it's American! Where did you guys think this site originated from?

Fashionable Heckler

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Yeah, basically it's a pseudo-Japanese site, meant to lure Anime-loving folk in.

Captcha: Question everything

Buggy Mage

I always wondered if Japan Had sites like this. Its seems like they would. They'd luff customizable dress-up! If there isnt anything like that in Japan, why the Heck isnt Gaia getting some Studio Ghibli connections worked out!>;0...jk
but Seriously Gaia would be huge in Japan.

GobSlobTsu's Husband

Eerie Bunny

10,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
The origins of this site were of a fanbase to Anime culture.
It included a mix of people who were fans of Anime shows, movies, RPG's, etc.
There were strong Science Fiction and Fantasy elements from an eastern nature.

It's a little more western these days and fantasy has sort of took dominance.

Fashionable Heckler

Fire 0ak
I always wondered if Japan Had sites like this. Its seems like they would. They'd luff customizable dress-up! If there isnt anything like that in Japan, why the Heck isnt Gaia getting some Studio Ghibli connections worked out!>;0...jk
Actually, there is a sister site to Japan, called Gonline. It has avatars and everything, but I heard gold was much harder to make there.

however, it was apparently reformatted, so they took that stuff away.

Generous Giver

12,125 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Trader 100
Mewsey
Fire 0ak
Actually, there is a sister site to Japan, called Gonline. It has avatars and everything, but I heard gold was much harder to make there.

I thought Goline was the Chinese sister site?

Fashionable Heckler

Anzelia La Belle
Mewsey
Fire 0ak

I thought Goline was the Chinese sister site?
Oh... Yeah... It was Chinese. Sorry, couldn't remember. sweatdrop

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
TinierMe was based on a Japanese site that still exists. It's probably not the only one.

I always knew Gaia was in California...

Receiver

I always knew Gaia was American

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
It's a hale of a site, Gaia. I absolutely love it here. 26 million members and that's in America, I would wonder what it would be like in Japan. Probably the whole country, visiting the site; 100+ million. Kinda like how Korea is with MMOs. And Samsung of course.

Buggy Mage

Mewsey
Fire 0ak

I thought that was only in China hmmm I'll have to look into it. Seems like Gaia would of had a serious boom if it was available in Japan at some point.

Buggy Mage

btw, way correct me if i'm wrong. I did a quick search on Japanese virtual world alternatives and the two I've found, Im not sure if I can name them here just found in yahoo answer search. Anyway, they all look like Tinier me clones.
Gaia in my harsh opinion is superior visually. Im actually surprised about that since Japanese usually have such an eye for detail. 3nodding

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Fire 0ak

I think getting international connections has a lot to do with what sort of networks the CEOs at these companies have. like, I can totally see Lanzer having enough connections in China to help get a place like GOnline in existence, since he's chinese and probably speaks Chinese and can negotiate with Chinese web companies.

If there were someone at Gaia who had networking ties with online companies or the anime industry in Japan i bet they'd be able to set some things up with Gaia too.

i think immersion into the virtual world in asia is pretty big compared to the US so they probably do have avatar dressup sites. for example, japan's version of tinierme. Cyworld i think at one point was huge-ish in Korea and they started in 1999, way before Gaia existed. they also have websites like Maplestory which have branched off into Japan and China's online market, which would make it harder for new sites like Gaia to get an elbow in. Personally I think if Gaia were introduced to Japan it might flounder in lieu of the competition. compared to other virtual social networking websites in Japan, Gaia might look very basic since the emphasis here are forums (not really the virtual worlds), whereas with these other websites they are strong at creating active virtual environments. forums are a dime a dozen and lack of interest is probably one of the reasons why GOnline turned into a microblogging website. not to mention poor branding. a lot of us consider GOnline a "knockoff" website of Gaia, and users in China might've probably felt the same if they figured out their website was based off of an American one. if gaia tried to start in Japan it would take a lot of money to get into the currently existing market. the only thing Gaia would have going for it is it's awesome and extensive avatar item database. Gaia's avatars have an item style that is way superior to most other avatar dressup websites. at least, the free ones.
Lanzer and Ling made me almost think the same way. Almost.

Precious Sweetheart

9,100 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

emotion_bigheart I didn't care.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff