Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is the GAIA economy really being fixed by the donation drive?

I myself currently have 11 K, and that is ONLY because my birthday was just on March 8th and I got over 20 k in items and pure gold from my many, many gaia friends. I used to have 16 K, but obviously I donated 5 to Gambino's drive... and now I'm wondering if it was a smart thing to do. I buy 2-3 Donation letters a month (Depending on whether or not I can afford it, I don't post as often as I wish) before they open, and they on average cost 4.5-5 K each. Obviously, by donating, I cost myself a letter...

Whereas, I know plenty of millionaires who say they didn't donate more than 1 k to him. I know there are a generous few who donated a LOT, but still... I feel like the economy isn't being fixed, because the people who can't really afford it are being as generous as they can, while a lot of greedy people I know are donating less than the "poor" people when I know full-well they could donate 20 times more than what is donated by the poor people.

So, discuss: Do YOU believe that the economy is being fixed by the donation event?
Less gold in the econemy more worht of your gold, I've donated 3k.
Yoshi King

Whereas, I know plenty of millionaires who say they didn't donate more than 1 k to him. I know there are a generous few who donated a LOT, but still... I feel like the economy isn't being fixed, because the people who can't really afford it are being as generous as they can, while a lot of greedy people I know are donating less than the "poor" people when I know full-well they could donate 20 times more than what is donated by the poor people.

i think you have hit the nail on the head why this kind of thing can never be used to fix the economy. rich greedy people are the ones that would need to lose money. yet they are the ones who wont get rid of it.

while poor broke bastages like up donate everything.

well if by fixing the economy you mean driving prices up then yes. cause they wont come down like people thinks when thee is les money.

the rich people that already dont want or need anything....dont need to sell their items so they wont be hurt to sell them.

*shrugs*

EDIT: and as long as it is taking i will be mad if we dont get something (item or one hell of a event/storyline!). cause i donated money i could have spent to get my dancer bottm. 6.5k gonk

Prophet

Well, gold is being taken away through donations, which does mean less gold circulating. If this was "fixing" the economy, I think that was the goal, remove some of the gold. It would have been rather hard to make a fix to equalize the gap between rich and poor... It is somewhat the way of societies for the rich to become richer and the poor to become poorer, isn't it? *shrugs* I failed economics, so my opinion is worth jack-squat, but that's my two cents, anyway. whee
Gaia welth/pop there is a dence poverty upon active users and a small rich pencentage.

Newbie Noob

3,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
I got nothing for my birthday on March 7th. Why do you get 20k in items? That sucks!
~[ Misery Maven ]~
Well, gold is being taken away through donations, which does mean less gold circulating. If this was "fixing" the economy, I think that was the goal, remove some of the gold. It would have been rather hard to make a fix to equalize the gap between rich and poor... It is somewhat the way of societies for the rich to become richer and the poor to become poorer, isn't it? *shrugs* I failed economics, so my opinion is worth jack-squat, but that's my two cents, anyway. whee

I agree that they definitely succeeded in removing some of the gold in the economy, but yes... they've created an even larger gap between the rich and the poor gonk It's just not right, I say.
BlademasterMike
I got nothing for my birthday on March 7th. Why do you get 20k in items? That sucks!

Remember, I've got the uber rich friends. Plus, I've got a lot of them. I'm sort of well-known in the VGD as a Nintendo Supporter and a Sony and Microsoft hater. Sorry that you didn't receive anything for your birthday, though. sad

Buggy Nymph

58,625 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
BlademasterMike

...That's my brother's birthday... eek
Steeple333
BlademasterMike

...That's my brother's birthday... eek

March certainly is a popular month for birthdays 3nodding
BlademasterMike
you want 20k worth of grass skirts dont ya! blaugh

5,450 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Just wondering...

...Why assume that the donation drive is an attempt to fix the Gaian economy? sweatdrop
bump and all that jazz sweatdrop
Seth Darkheart
Just wondering...

...Why assume that the donation drive is an attempt to fix the Gaian economy? sweatdrop

I'm assuming this because everyone else does, even a few moderators that I know eek . Plus, it makes sense, even if we DO get paid back in items according to how much we donated.

5,450 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Yoshi King
I'm assuming this because everyone else does, even a few moderators that I know eek . Plus, it makes sense, even if we DO get paid back in items according to how much we donated.

I see...

Of course, just because a moderator assumes something doesn't make it so. Until I see an administrator make an announcement that says this whole event is simply an attempt to sort out the economy, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

I fail to see how it would fix the economy, as the only current 'problem' I can think of is inflation (which in my opinion isn't really a problem, per se, but just a fact of Gaian life). Pure gold is worth absolutely nothing these days, when you consider that a Halo is worth 70,000,000. Getting a few people to donate gold would not make these items worth any less. The economy has always been very user-run, and I'm sure that the administrators would not 'interfere'.

I also fail to see how it makes sense. Like Jakobo said when the G-Pins were re-released (though you'll have to forgive me for paraphrasing):

"The re-release of G-Pins was not an attempt to interfere with the Gaian economy or lower the price of G-Pins. They were re-released for storyline purposes."

Gambino lost his mansion. Now he's getting it back. He's not allowed to go to parties in Durem anymore... So he's building a home where he can throw parties once again and reclaim his title as most powerful man on Gaia. Attempt to fix the economy? I don't think so. More like an attempt to advance the storyline in time for Easter.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff