Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tiny Nerd

18,950 Points
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • Magical Gems 500
Adding a buyers tax to market. Iv seen a lot of people talking about different ways to sink gold and a majority say "Add more sellers tax!" Well yes that would help in theory but it is also unfair and what will happen when it gets to say 20%? no one will want to sell anything. So i thought on it and while making a purchase from a online store for inrl items i noticed they tally the cost up and in that they add a buyers tax and that's when it hit me, what if they did that on Gaia even if its just 2%, that plus the 5% selling tax is 7% of the total gold from that sale/purchase sunk.
Please add your thoughts and discuss away C:

Star

If a marketplace tax was that high people would just sell in exchange.

Tiny Nerd

18,950 Points
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • Magical Gems 500
S0AD

I think there would still be a few selling in market lol plus it was just an example

Anxious Gaian

S0AD

Ahem, they already do.
The marketplace is only used by venders who want top dollar when selling.

... and by those who use the marketplace to show off or hold an expensive item.
(Albeit that situation could be avoided by adding a percentage fee for listing an item)
(A 1% listing fee, for example, would cost 9.9T to those who put an item up for 999T)

However a listing fee would be just as much as a deterrent as higher or new taxes.

Unstoppable Krampus

Toxxn
S0AD

Ahem, they already do.

(Albeit that situation could be avoided by adding a percentage fee for listing an item)
(A 1% listing fee, for example, would cost 9.9T to those who put an item up for 999T)

However a listing fee would be just as much as a deterrent as higher or new taxes.

The problem with a listing fee is, what if you wanna sell a super expensive item but don't have enough gold to list it?

User Image

Anxious Gaian

Twisted Lady
Toxxn
S0AD

Ahem, they already do.

The problem with a listing fee is, what if you wanna sell a super expensive item but don't have enough gold to list it?

User Image

Although my example for a listing fee was not a serious idea, you raise a good point.
And with that said, I am sure there is a handful of other problems that could persist.
Toxxn
S0AD

Ahem, they already do.

Having a listing fee would deter a lot of people from just listing an item to get it onto the MP though, unless those are voided from being affected by such.
In general, though, it could end up deterring a lot of people from selling items period (lots of people use the MP because it's just so much quicker/easier than threads in forums - "I want to buy/sell this, and I want to do so now" ).

Yes, it would be nice to deter people from making those absurd listings just because they want their shop full or whatever, but the whole differentiating thing could be problematic..

Anxious Gaian

~ Aki - Fairy ~
Toxxn
S0AD

Ahem, they already do.

Having a listing fee would deter a lot of people from just listing an item to get it onto the MP though, unless those are voided from being affected by such.
In general, though, it could end up deterring a lot of people from selling items period (lots of people use the MP because it's just so much quicker/easier than threads in forums - "I want to buy/sell this, and I want to do so now" ).

Yes, it would be nice to deter people from making those absurd listings just because they want their shop full or whatever, but the whole differentiating thing could be problematic..

As stated above, I mentioned it would be a deterrent. I agree with you completely, it would be problematic in numerous ways. This was merely just an example to deter only those who list items for show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff