Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magic Hero

Set use is trashy unless you're using the extras as detail items . If your sets take up a majority of the avatar, good for you if you like it but it shouldn't be revered as creative avatar making at all.

My current favorite item is either Summer Haircut or Dancing Star emotion_kirakira

Tipsy Exhibitionist

17,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I think wearing a set is fine if you supplement the set with a bunch of other items- you know, make it your own. Just wearing 3-4 of the same item is kind of dull. But hey, it's your avi so you can do whatever makes you happy!

Wheezing Member

I'm hesitant to even wear a pose from one item with a different pose from a recolor of that item. talk2hand

Obviously to each their own, but for me I use avatars as a way to get my creative juice flowin and using a premade set of any kind is the opposite of creative.

But if you're like.. making an avatar purely to be pretty/cool/whatever or trying to make a specific character.. then have at.

Heroic Senshi

I've worn items from a set as of late.

Because I AM SATSUKI KIRYUIN, YOU PIGS IN HUMAN CLOTHING! mad

Thirteenth Bilge rat

29,025 Points
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
~♪~

It's your avi, if you wanna wear a set, do it!

honey spice's Honey Bun

Hardcore Bibliophile

I find it funny how so many of these posts are bashing the AT when yes we are a little stricter on set usage but tbh we are so much more relaxed than we were Iin say 05 lol

Anyway, I don't really mind set ussage unless the set usage is both lazy and bleedingly obvious.
Say if someone is wearing only 6 items and 5 of those are part of the same set, then I think it's bad because I'd love to seee them do so much more with what we have. Also I don't think people realize that accessories can make up for a lot of set usage.

I try to avoid using sets myself unless the two or more set items I'm using are hard to pick out and can be concealed. This is just because I'm strict on myself to be as adventurous and original as possible in my avatar making but hey, if someone wants to wear a set I might love it as long as they use is well and wisely.

Also just finally, I'm also a firm believer in that if someone likes their own avatar the way it is then who gives a rats a** about the opinions of others? People get so offended when people say they don't like an avatar they've created but it's stupid to get angry or sad because as long as the user who created it loves it, then it's perfect!

OTHER SPOONS:

My current favourite item is probably M's Sketchbook and all of it's recolours OR the Red's Hood item and it's recolours which I wish I owned :L

The only duplicates I own are because I've been gifted double or I've bought two for investments BUT if I create an avi and I think a duplicate would look good then I'd go out and buy it (:

Romantic Gaian

If a set looks nice and pretty, you better damn well believe I'm gonna rock it! I'm on this site for me, not for you, your mom, your great aunt, or any one else. wink

Adventuring Bookworm

The elitism is strong in this Thread.

If I want to wear a set, I'm wearing it.
Idgaf about other peoples opinion. It's my Avatar.

Demonic Lover

Some people just need to get over themselves uo u; specially if they are the type to wear the items that artists clearly make to be worn together XD I just see no difference in wearing, say, 2
Rookie Detective than to wear one Rookie Detective and one Beyond Periwinkle, I mean they were obviously made to match, there's also no "creativity" there.

kayla wasabi's Husband

Friendly Friend

Brouette
The elitism is strong in this Thread.

If I want to wear a set, I'm wearing it.
Idgaf about other peoples opinion. It's my Avatar.
go ahead and not care
just like we'll not care about ppl calling us elitists and keep having our opinions on avatars

everybody can be happy smile

Rainbow Worshipper

30,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Hasuki Aatisuto
Honestly, you should just wear whatever you want, even if it's a set.

Just... don't ask for advice, though. You'll be smacked down REAL quick in Avatar Talk.

This^
this is one of my favorite avatars I've created in a while that has a color scheme:
User Image
I had to use two of the Chronomantique Jesters for the bodice and socks. which are pretty large chunks of her appearance.

Dapper Puppy

As long as I don't see a full set/most of a set when I am grading in the arenas, I'm ok.

I'll wear sets myself if it makes me happy with my avatar.

Divine Muse

Jayce Reinhardt
Knight of Britannia
"You can totally wear what you want... But wearing a set means you're unoriginal and not creative and you should be ashamed" = basically what I'm feeling with some of the replies in here. Wow.

I love wearing sets, I don't even care. I will spice them up one way or another! It's fun to experiment with them! Of course being able to pull together a lot of other items to make one avi is a great challenge and enjoyable too, but I don't think it makes any one person more ~creative~ than someone else. Dressing up is supposed to be fun anyways. :/

People buy sets all the time in the real world so I don't know why it's different when it's Gaia.

Jewelry sets, business suit sets, shoe, hat, and purse sets, Lipstick and matching nail polish set, ECT.

Quoting myself because there is more to Gaia than the AT and calling someone out for judging other people harshly and acting shallow is not bashing by any means.

If it isn't your avatar, ******** right the hell off. Reenact the Mean girls movie in AT, not here you arrogant ********]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dominant Lover

13,075 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
Jayce Reinhardt
Knight of Britannia
"You can totally wear what you want... But wearing a set means you're unoriginal and not creative and you should be ashamed" = basically what I'm feeling with some of the replies in here. Wow.

I love wearing sets, I don't even care. I will spice them up one way or another! It's fun to experiment with them! Of course being able to pull together a lot of other items to make one avi is a great challenge and enjoyable too, but I don't think it makes any one person more ~creative~ than someone else. Dressing up is supposed to be fun anyways. :/

People buy sets all the time in the real world so I don't know why it's different when it's Gaia.

Jewelry sets, business suit sets, shoe, hat, and purse sets, Lipstick and matching nail polish set, ECT.

Oh my god, so much THIS. I don't see what the big deal is. I usually just throw all ******** to the wind and wear whatever I want on this site.

And some items are impossible to wear one if. Take the Sweet Frosting for example. The fact that the top and skirt are completely different poses is hella dumb since they don't match anything else due to it's wonky shape and coloration. Sometimes you have to own multies of things in here.

GO

hushla
I dont like sets
I feel it is the easy way out when it comes to make a pretty avi.
That's silly.
There is no easy or hard way to make an avatar. It's whatever people like.
If they like the set, than awesome, if they only like one item, still awesome.

This isn't a competition.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces