Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Sweatpants Princess
mihaela
W to the O to the R to the D right there, dude. (Especially the feminism part, because I'm just that sort of person.)

We are going to get along swimmingly. cool
I don't know why I'm trying to use a feminist lens on Gaia because there's such bad history, but I do think it passes the Bechdel Test and I do like Sen so I can't say anything.

I've given up on Gaia intentionally giving us a pro-feminist take on... pretty much anything. Sometimes they accidentally use a cliche that has feminist undertones, but no kudos on that.

Then again, pretty much all mainstream media has no concept of feminist notions, or they use outdated ones such as angel in the house/madwoman in the attic (which I hate with a fiery passion and want to eviscerate with the pointiest non-phallic implements I can find).

Dangerous Regular

12,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
Your Blushing Paladin

I hope we get some-kind of PVP type event! But mostly I pray that the event items are mega cool.

...And maybe a Jack-themed witch hat.
We can ever have enough witch hat, brohams.

I'm hoping for a flash pvpish event like the werewolf event...

Loyal Lover

11,800 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Nerd 50
Pirate Captain Sushi
I'm not calling her a slut and I'm not intolerant against vampires.

The story they're using has just been used before in the plot with another character.
It also comes off as a tribute to some... rather horrible book franchise involving vampire romance.

See I can get behind a post like this.
Granted, I'd love to see people stop going "oh em gee you're going to win just because of twitards!"

emotion_donotwant
I have not seen one weird a** Twitard in the forums talking about vampires once during the beginning of this event. And there are just as many Dark Elves as there are vampires.

While I do 100% agree that this plot has literally been used before with Ian, Louie, and Gino's mom... BUT

It doesn't mean that I'm not going to sit back and enjoy this. I love Halloween and I love the whole PVP aspect it usually has etc etc. I am going to enjoy this event, and I'm going to have fun and get art and make new friends etc etc. D<

But it's almost ironic that this thread came up because the start of the manga story-line and everyone complaining my first thought was 'Why is everyone talking about Twilight and slut-shaming O_o;;;'

Unbeatable Cutesmasher

Neko_Bast
Best vampire romance out there is......the Anita Blake vampire hunter books. ^_^ Sexy vampires that still rip into people.

and wile the story has been used before, sometimes doing something that is familure works..

I'd have to disagree, and go with Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story and the series that goes with it.

I have a thing for comedies. lol
This plotline would have been a lot more interesting if Kuro's mum had ran off with an orc. Just sayin'.

Invisible Conversationalist

Rock_hard_yo
This plotline would have been a lot more interesting if Kuro's mum had ran off with an orc. Just sayin'.

YES. YESYESYESYES
I mean, sorry, what are orcs again? Are those a species on this site? I simply can't remember.

mihaela
I've given up on Gaia intentionally giving us a pro-feminist take on... pretty much anything. Sometimes they accidentally use a cliche that has feminist undertones, but no kudos on that.

Then again, pretty much all mainstream media has no concept of feminist notions, or they use outdated ones such as angel in the house/madwoman in the attic (which I hate with a fiery passion and want to eviscerate with the pointiest non-phallic implements I can find).

Bolded the part I thought most relevant. You are certainly not the only one who's given up on that, by the way.

Though, I'm not able to fault Gaia's mere accidental feminism, because I think that the males are portrayed in an equally negative/neglected light. It's just rare that we have strong characters at all, and the fact that some are women isn't really an issue. The fact that they're not trying for a feminist perspective here is for the best in my opinion, because I fear it would get incredibly clunky and sloppy and fall into a similar nasty/implication-laden trope as what you mentioned.
(...A morningstar, perhaps? For the non-phallic pointy object.)

I'd love to have a real feminist message here, of course, but I also don't think that this manga is for sending messages. Seeing some characters at all take a more proactive role would be nice, and the includes women. My dream right is actually for Don Kuro to lose himself to the spirit and then ask Cordell to kill him in his last sane moment, and then she takes over and reforms the Dark Elves from whatever s**t he ends up having them do in the event. And then she only shows up in the future when things get serious. But enough about me! emotion_kirakira
Sweatpants Princess
YES. YESYESYESYES
I mean, sorry, what are orcs again? Are those a species on this site? I simply can't remember.

I swear the Gaia staff has completely forgotten about them. And yet there's so much potential for storyline there.

Handsome Gaian

Your Blushing Paladin
... But mostly I pray that the event items are mega cool.

this. Deserve a medal! I don't really care how lame the event's going to be,, it's always the prize that matters...

Invisible Conversationalist

Rock_hard_yo
Sweatpants Princess
YES. YESYESYESYES

I swear the Gaia staff has completely forgotten about them. And yet there's so much potential for storyline there.

I'm still holding out hope. crying I thought the skins were wicked cool and their introduction story and then WHAM! Totally forgotten. The Imps are forgotten by the story by now too, but at least they had some damn screentime.
I might do an Orc avatar character next. I've been shying away from the special skins for the most part, but this event has me finally inspired. And we just need more Orcs.
Sweatpants Princess
I'm still holding out hope. crying I thought the skins were wicked cool and their introduction story and then WHAM! Totally forgotten. The Imps are forgotten by the story by now too, but at least they had some damn screentime.
I might do an Orc avatar character next. I've been shying away from the special skins for the most part, but this event has me finally inspired. And we just need more Orcs.

I never change skins, but have seriously debated creating a mule, just for the sake an Orc character. It's a neat skin to start with, and demonstrating user interest might remind help Gaia remember that they exist.

Winged Demon

23,550 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Chibi Halo
          There's nothing wrong with having an opinion and wishing the plot on Gaia would go a particular way but how you present those thoughts and opinions say a lot. Feeling a plot device is a little overused or cliched and hoping the plot goes in a different direction is perfectly fine. What's not fine is throwing around names and bashing people who are fine with how the plot is going. Those making the threads don't know all the reasons why someone could have made the choice they did when picking sides in this event nor do they know how the plot's going to turn out so rash judgements are only going to end up giving others a less than favorable opinion of them in the end.

It's a work of fiction and sometimes the people writing them need those plot devices to push the story in a certain direction. How the story is being told can say a lot because it's told from a certain perspective that could be clouded by personal opinions. It sounds like Cordell blames their mother for what she did that ended up breaking their family because she still believes in the class and caste system that made them high born.

I agree with this especially if you listen to the 'tone' and wording of how the story is being told. You'll notice on the most recent page it says the mother 'gave into passion', she says passion and not love, that says alot about how she feels about what their mother had done.

@OP-as for people jumping to conclusions about some of the characters, some of its just pure hate of the vampire/lover thing because it's been so exposed recently. I really hate that myself, I've always liked vampires and stories with them in it, but now because of how popular it's become from one series, everyone hates it, even when it's not the same style or presentation.

As for judging Kruo's mother, well people by their nature like to pigeonhole people and things, put them in categories, or label them, it's how our brains work, doesn't mean it's right necessarily, but it's how most people think. Things are easier to understand if you compare them to something you already know. It's something a person has to be aware of and try to not do purposely.

Obsessive Player

OMG!!! It's a story,guys. Not REAL lige. Why not have fun. If you don't like it, don't participate!!!
Personally, I think it's a way to release creative juices when you theorize!!!As long as it stays a game, not vilifying real people, no harm is done.

Sparkly Pirate

18,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Citizen 200
Pirate Captain Sushi
I'm not calling her a slut and I'm not intolerant against vampires.

The story they're using has just been used before in the plot with another character.
It also comes off as a tribute to some... rather horrible book franchise involving vampire romance.

Eh, I'm gonna have to disagree on the Twilight comparison. (at least for now. We haven't seen the whole story yet...) Most because Twilight was shallow and had no conflict, and while it claims to be a story about star-crossed lovers in a forbidden romance, everything works out perfectly always, they have a perfect ending and nobody really opposed the human-vampire relationship. At least, not enough to make a serious effort to stop it. In this Gaia story, there are high stakes and there's a conflict, and considering how things turned out, there was no perfect happy ending.

Sparkling Senshi

Herod
How is wanting to see functional families preaching? And don't give me the "it's realistic" line. There are dark elf seances involved in this story, this is fantasy land.

It's funny how you're agreeing it's "fantasy" land, and yet you're going on about a "functional" family.
I can't believe how ridiculous that sounds.
lol

Obsessive Player

Diet Poison
Neko_Bast
Best vampire romance out there is......the Anita Blake vampire hunter books. ^_^ Sexy vampires that still rip into people.

and wile the story has been used before, sometimes doing something that is familure works..

I'd have to disagree, and go with Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story and the series that goes with it.

I have a thing for comedies. lol

Then get the series of Undead & ... (various "Uns" wink by by Davidson. They're a hoot!!! And, have some outrageous story lines woven through themm Especially handsome vamps , too, for the ladies!!!! Or Dead End Dating storeies are funny too
A more stylish family can be found in the Argeneau omance novels, but I picked one of these up in the grocery store for a quick read on a trip & had to read the reat!! In my opinion, they are well done with a twist in the storyline that works. Just a few ideas for you, if you're an avid reader who veers away from simply the Teen Vamps!!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff