Welcome to Gaia! ::

I feel like I've commented on a lot of threads about the 'equip view' feature over the years. rofl

I don't allow item view. I enjoy the mystery of figuring out someone's avatar, and vice versa. Although it's certainly easier to be able to see the item list with a single click, digging through tektek helps me learn about a LOT of other items' poses in the process. I find that knowledge more valuable than convenience.

- "Afraid of being copied" seems to be the main assumption that is made about users who disable viewing. While that may be the case for some people, there are many other reasons one might want to keep it disabled:
                - I prefer not to have the ABP values of my items visible. Especially on forums where gold is being exchanged, (art shops? charity? Exchange?) it may change how someone acts to you.
                - Knowing the items on an avatar can change how an artist draws your avatar. Sound weird? As someone who draws a bit myself, I've come across many avatar requests in the past with a high amount of pixel detail/layering where I wasn't sure what I was actually looking at. If you have an item list, you can imagine each item separately and bypass that problem. If you don't... then it's time for artistic license. biggrin

I am happy to answer PMs about specific parts/items of my avatar, in any case. I won't give out a full item list - you have to know what you're looking for first! 3nodding

- - - -- ---

Fashionable Codger

16,025 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
~ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓢⓗⓔ ⓢⓐⓘⓓ • • •

I keep the item view on just because I'm a nice person.
Honestly tho', I don't see a point in copying someone's avatar when some of the Gaians kinda look the same... just saying.
And if someone wanted to copy mine, I don't know why they would, but I wouldn't care.
If it makes them happy, they can go knock themselves out. I'm pretty much on the "it's just pixels" mindset.

As far as "catching up"... I just don't, actually. Sometimes I take a month or two off from Gaia and then come back
and just resume what I usually do. If I see something enticing off the MP or someone's wishlist, I go check it out
and if I like it, I just chuck it into my wishlist.

« Draw me in like a magnet . . . ♥ » User Image

Wheezing Plague

I don't really care if anyone can see or not see my items. I sometimes get annoyed if I can't view someone's items. In those cases I either tektek it or ask them about it. Luckily, a lot of people answer 3nodding

clarion's King

Super Model

Janish
                I feel like I've commented on a lot of threads about the 'equip view' feature over the years. rofl

I don't allow item view. I enjoy the mystery of figuring out someone's avatar, and vice versa. Although it's certainly easier to be able to see the item list with a single click, digging through tektek helps me learn about a LOT of other items' poses in the process. I find that knowledge more valuable than convenience.

- "Afraid of being copied" seems to be the main assumption that is made about users who disable viewing. While that may be the case for some people, there are many other reasons one might want to keep it disabled:
                - I prefer not to have the ABP values of my items visible. Especially on forums where gold is being exchanged, (art shops? charity? Exchange?) it may change how someone acts to you.
                - Knowing the items on an avatar can change how an artist draws your avatar. Sound weird? As someone who draws a bit myself, I've come across many avatar requests in the past with a high amount of pixel detail/layering where I wasn't sure what I was actually looking at. If you have an item list, you can imagine each item separately and bypass that problem. If you don't... then it's time for artistic license. biggrin

I am happy to answer PMs about specific parts/items of my avatar, in any case. I won't give out a full item list - you have to know what you're looking for first! 3nodding

- - - -- ---

Bang-on all points, especially the very last one about people wanting you to catalog your whole list for them—not to mention that there's usually no gratitude whatsoever when you do help them out.

The worst is when it comes from people who are obviously using their mules to contact you.

Kawaii Bunny

I think I allow people to view my items, but I'm not too sure because I haven't checked in a while. Having it viewable just makes things easier, really. If someone wants to know what items I've got on, I don't want to make them have to take the time to pm me when it could just be one click. Also, I change my avi a lot, so if someone did pm me to ask what an item is, I'd probably have changed my avi by then anyway.

Wealthy Genius

6,225 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I'm almost exactly the same- I came back last month from a years-long hiatus and there are so many new items. But while I'm a little disappointed when it's hidden, I can understand that people want to protect their combinations, though. Of course, even when I can see items, oftentimes I can't tell which item gives that pose. So it can be a moot point. xd

I haven't completely caught up on items yet. I glanced at new shop items while caroling - which was probably the first time I didn't mind the wait between shops - and searched "gown" and "dress" on tektek and added a few things to my wishlist. On the whole, though, I'm still totally in the dark about the multitude of items that came out in my absence.

Sir Schmerz's Husband

Thieving Sex Symbol

35,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Anyone can view what I'm wearing at any time, forever. Because I really don't care if someone copies my avatar exactly. You're welcome to try, but there's no point. I don't enter in the arenas, and even if you did, the prize money isn't all that big. So... I really don't feel like there's an actual point or an end goal for me to hide my equipped list. If you wanna know, just take a look.

Fashionable Man-Lover

11,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Timid 100
AGCourtney
I'm almost exactly the same- I came back last month from a years-long hiatus and there are so many new items. But while I'm a little disappointed when it's hidden, I can understand that people want to protect their combinations, though. Of course, even when I can see items, oftentimes I can't tell which item gives that pose. So it can be a moot point. xd

I haven't completely caught up on items yet. I glanced at new shop items while caroling - which was probably the first time I didn't mind the wait between shops - and searched "gown" and "dress" on tektek and added a few things to my wishlist. On the whole, though, I'm still totally in the dark about the multitude of items that came out in my absence.

Agreed, so I find it bit annoying to see the users that turned off their view equip list.

I saw a really nice mohawk hair that some guy had, but he had the equip list disabled, so I sent him a PM asking, but he didn't answer. emo

Luckily I met someone with the same item in Virtual Hollywood, and he told me what it is.

Devoted Heckler

You turn off thread voting and yet moan about that?

I don't care, it's mildly annoying occasionally but I won't feed their egos and desperation for human contact by asking.

Noob

To be honest, I'm not sure why I started to hide my items in the first place. But I have it hidden and haven't changed it back. I honestly like when people PM me asking what items I'm wearing or how I got a specific look and all that jazz. blaugh

Magical Kitten

I don't remember if my equip list is visible or not. I know I unlocked it so my friend could just look at my items instead of asking me every day what X, Y, Z were, but I don't remember if I ever locked it again after that.

But when I did have my equip list hidden, it was because I used to get a lot of PMs from beggars and scammers. Just the act of turning off the list stopped the majority of the PMs, and I'd rather do that than turn my PMs to friends only.

It does irritate me sometimes when I see something I'm unfamiliar with, or a neat combination, and the person's equip list is hidden. But I usually end up finding the item(s) again later, on someone else or by random chance in the market. Sometimes the items were on my wishlist. sweatdrop There are just too many things on Gaia to keep track of everything.

No Winner

33,650 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • 10000 High Score 300
  • Magical Girl 50
I left my equipped items open just for other people's convenience. I'm sort of on the wall about how I feel about other people not allowing their items to be shown. I'm usually reclusive and would rather not have to ask people, but I usually just PM them if I like the item that much. Although, I have run into some cases where they were completely private and I couldn't contact them except for in the forums.
I'm one of them. :3

Greedy Gekko

Hmm, well I don't keep my items hidden cause, I like to buy newer items that you can't really find searching on tektek.

I do understand the reason for locking your equip list, but when you find an item you really like and you see that message appear it is really disappointing. Sure, you can ask them, but there are more possibilities than the person simply answering the question. Sure, you can use tektek, but if the item is new, your not getting anywhere.

I'm not saying gaians should go and unlock equips, but if your going to do so, showing an items list on your profile would be nice. Then again if you don't want to do that, you could say whether or not your okay with item questions, on your profile.

Greedy Kitten

I don't allow mine to be viewed since a whole ago I have a couple of people steal/copy my Avis that I've worked hard on. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff