Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stellar Succubus

omg juliet stop
The GCD is crazy slow today..

Probably because we've discussed this topic ad nauseum.

And recently, too. This topic came up less than a week ago, I believe.

I've actually got mine hidden now. It isn't always like this. People can ask me if they want to find out.

Or do a colour search on tek tek if they want to. Like we had to before the equip list.

It's also probably visible on my profile.
Camilia_Chan
omg juliet stop
I'm sorry it just makes me so angry... neutral

Don't worry about it; it's totally fine. I hide my equip list too, just to be safe. It's only shown on my profile, so you don't have to see it multiple times. ^^
To be "safe"? From?

I'm convinced it's an unnecessary feature to have on the site. Given that the average price of RIGs and other miscellaneous, well-drawn items is probably around 500k/600k per, chances are good that even if a user intended to copy an avatar outright, they couldn't afford to.

Not to mention it'd be in Gaia's best interest to let users identify the items and hopefully buy GC to finance the purchases.

Hopeful Lightbringer

52,900 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Budding Witch 250
  • The Edgiest 250
M6
Camilia_Chan
omg juliet stop
I'm sorry it just makes me so angry... neutral

Don't worry about it; it's totally fine. I hide my equip list too, just to be safe. It's only shown on my profile, so you don't have to see it multiple times. ^^
To be "safe"? From?

I'm convinced it's an unnecessary feature to have on the site. Given that the average price of RIGs and other miscellaneous, well-drawn items is probably around 500k/600k per, chances are good that even if a user intended to copy an avatar outright, they couldn't afford to.

Not to mention it'd be in Gaia's best interest to let users identify the items and hopefully buy GC to finance the purchases.

I don't want anyone to copy me... that's probably why... sweatdrop

I wonder why it's not necessary to use that feature....? It adds curiosity to a few users who don't know certain items. They're just wondering what it is. They're not here to copy others' avatars; they're just here to see what the item is and they'll get it.

And as for the last reason, I agree.

pixolotl's Stud

Dominant Darling

16,275 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
Cheapskate Bruce

Quote of myself:
Quote:
They have the choice, so it's really their right to execute it if they want to. I usually just ask them like in RL, I've not been declined an answer yet! Some people just want to know if people are interested in their avatar? And similarly to RL we don't just run up to someone wearing something we like and rip the clothing off them to have a gander at the the label, we'd ask right? ... Unless people are feeling particularly pervvy lol

No one will ever convince me you told a lie.

You mean that ISN'T socially acceptable? eek

Moriarty was REAL!

Kuyusi's Partner

Apocalyptic Trash

I'm always entering in the Avatar Arena and since I place on a semi-consistent basis, I don't want people to copy what I'm entering for that week, so I hide my list. Yes, I know they can look and 'steal' it that way, but sometimes that's hard if I have some epic layering going on.

As for hiding my list on my profile, I don't want that clutter on it. I hate how my profile looks with the box there.

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
I don't hide mine and if someone is to ask what an item i am wearing is I'll tell them.
Cause i'm cool.

Sacher Torte's Husband

Diamond Darling

14,725 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Cool Cat 500
adorabah
Cheapskate Bruce

They have the choice, so it's really their right to execute it if they want to. I usually just ask them like in RL, I've not been declined an answer yet! Some people just want to know if people are interested in their avatar? And similarly to RL we don't just run up to someone wearing something we like and rip the clothing off them to have a gander at the the label, we'd ask right? ... Unless people are feeling particularly pervvy lol

No one will ever convince me you told a lie.

You mean that ISN'T socially acceptable? eek

Moriarty was REAL!

Oh, my mistake! *runs out to strip people* xd

Sacher Torte's Husband

Diamond Darling

14,725 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Cool Cat 500
raspberry gateaux
4) Ask Q&A.

Slick (and perhaps others that I missed) already mentioned it, but Q&A is a great place to ask about items. And I think they'll usually get back to people far faster (and more accurately, actually) than AT will. c:

@Topic~ If checking that "hide equip list" button makes people feel better, then so be it. I dunno their reasoning, but if it makes their life a little happier, whatever. :P
Really? I've never tried at the Q&A before, thanks for the info though I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm stumped on an item smile

11,925 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Champion 300
I don't block my item list, because a) I can't be bothered and b) I don't care if people can see my item list.

And as to everyone saying to just PM people about their equipped items: it's all well and good to say that, but there are some people who are just way to shy to ask about what items someone has equipped if the equipped list is blocked from public view. Some people may be scared that the user might be rude to them about it, or they may be worried that they'd be annoying the user for whatever reason. They may be unwarranted fears, but it's still a fear that some people might have, especially people who can be really shy or introverted.

Questionable Browser

Eh, it's a personal preference, so I don't really mind. But I've definitely had a few "FFFFUUUU-- WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE BLOCKED" moments. I feel odd about PMing to ask about the item in question, so I end up going to Tektek to try working it out for myself.

I keep my equipped list visible to the public - I don't mind letting others know what I have on, and I don't have a problem with other people trying to emulate/create something similar to it (so long as they aren't doing it to win contests and such, but since my outfits are hardly good enough for that sort of thing anyway, it's not really an area of concern). If they still can't figure which equip option pertains to which item, they're free to ask. C:

Chatty Genius

7,000 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
Do you hide your equip list, if so then why?

I'm not sure if I do, or if I did it intentionally. :S If someone pms me and asks what I have on, then I just give them the name. I don't mind that at all. Jeez, once I just went out and got it for them and gifted it. If I did hide it, it could be because I try to make less expensive items look more expensive, to trick people into thinking I have more money? lol. XP. Because I'm not buying items for 15,000,000. That is ridiculous.
Who even steals avies these days? (therefore it's stupid to hide them, -coughcough-.)

I get inspired by other peoples avatars sometimes. But I don't want to jack their style, that's not cool. A lot of avis look alike, but, a lot of people just like the same items! so.

How angry you get whenever you see this damn sentence.

I don't get mad, but it's kind of annoying to guess the names of items. There are so many different items! ahh. I just use the tektek dream avi to find out the names. It is also like a reference book to all the items! So. If people don't want to tell you what their wearing, it's up to them. There's not much you can do about it.

Niroshan's Princess

Distinct Connoisseur

14,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
I don't hide mine - don't frequent much except the art forums & the crowd there likes to stand out to get chosen to be drawn. Don't think avi stealing happens there.

I do get annoyed a little because it's usually one item I'm after and having figure out through mp can get complicated as I'm like twice a week gaia user.

Receiver

Just ask if you want to know. Stop being lazy

Player

I get frustrated about that as well. Mostly because they have an item pose and wanna know where it came from, but the list it's private.

Godlike Ghost

gaia_crown
oh wow this thread again
I don't like it either... but not for the same reason. xD
I've got a fairly good knowledge of the items on Gaia, so I can generally tell what they're wearing. What bugs me is that I generally use equipped lists as a quick jump from the forums to the marketplace to look for items. (I don't know why I do that... but I do and it bugs me when like 5 people in a row have their equipped lists hidden, when I'm just trying to get to the mp quickly)

I never have mine invisible, because frankly, idgaf if someone wants to copy my avatar. (I also don't think anyone would want to, but whatevs) I also leave it open for people who do want to see what I'm wearing, for whatever reason. However, if people ask, I will tell them what I'm wearing, unless they ask just before I change and I can't remember or something. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff