Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Librarian

51,525 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
ℳουs℩ɛ sɑɥs:

My reason for hiding my equipped list isn't because people rip of my avis, I really couldn't care.
I had more issues with people sending me stupid PMs asking me if they could have items I had on for cheap/free.
Then there was PMs from the fake mods (that I reported) for people trying to get my password.
All in all I noticed a lot of this issue went away when I disabled my equipped list.
If you would like to know what I have on all you have to do is quote me, look at my profile, or post a message on my profile. I always answer when I'm asked.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Shapeshifter

7obias
I hide mine because I have experienced getting several avatars of mine copied - I don't mind people asking me though, if they ask me then I will answer them, it's no big deal.. I just don't like when people copy everything down to the smallest detail. It's simply because of bad experiences that keeps me from making it public, but that doens't make me a rude person.
liar I say emotion_dowant

Tipsy Reindeer

MadHatterzMouse
ℳουs℩ɛ sɑɥs:

My reason for hiding my equipped list isn't because people rip of my avis, I really couldn't care.
I had more issues with people sending me stupid PMs asking me if they could have items I had on for cheap/free.
Then there was PMs from the fake mods (that I reported) for people trying to get my password.
All in all I noticed a lot of this issue went away when I disabled my equipped list.
If you would like to know what I have on all you have to do is quote me, look at my profile, or post a message on my profile. I always answer when I'm asked.

You know come to think of it... I stopped receiving those kinds of PMs and stuff about when I turned mine off too. Huh.

(Though in my case, my list is still totally viewable in my profile.)

Anxious Friend

Honestly 'User does not allow viewing of currently equipped items' doesn't bother me in the least.

1) It's not like in your inventory where it shows the pose that's equipped it just lists the items the persons is wearing. Sometimes you can be lucky and the person is only wearing ehh 7 multiple pose items. But a lot of the time that's not going to be the case so you have to click on every item to direct you to the Market Place and 'try on' the item to find what you're looking for.
2) If I do see the notice, I click on their profile. 60% of the time it's available on their profile, 20% of the time they have a custom profile doesn't display it, while the last 20% do not have their profile available to the general public. So even if you can't see it at the drop down menu in the forums there is a chance it's on their profile.
3) Tektek is everyone's friend. Go to tektek.org dream avatars. pick a body it doesn't matter which just make sure its the right gender. First drop down categorizes the items by type (eyes, top, bottom, wings) and the second drop down categorizes by color. Then it's just going through the pages and selecting items till you find the one you're looking for. At least going that method you may find an item you like even more.
4) If all else fails ask. Worst thing they can say is -use your imagination and insert symbols if you must- but 90% of the time the person will tell you.

To be honest, I actually didn't notice till this morning that I had mine on. Which would explain why people ask me about items I'm wearing but I tell them anyway.

Punctual Assailant

18,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
teaparty in space
I don't get the whole hiding your equipped list thing.
I don't do it, I don't see the point.

Are people really that paranoid about others stealing their look?
Or is it a status thing so that no one knows if they're actually wearing a third gen Sainte Ciel, or whatever?
I don't know.

Easy for you to say when you have your equip list off

Magical Librarian

51,525 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
ninja-no-ryu
MadHatterzMouse
ℳουs℩ɛ sɑɥs:

You know come to think of it... I stopped receiving those kinds of PMs and stuff about when I turned mine off too. Huh.

(Though in my case, my list is still totally viewable in my profile.)
ℳουs℩ɛ sɑɥs:

Mine is too, lol, I mentioned that above.
But I think that those individuals prefer to just use forums and stay out of profiles, probably because I've seen more than a few profiles that tell whose been there to look at stuff.

Punctual Assailant

18,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
omg juliet stop
Slick Southpaw
Who cares if you cannot see someone's equip list?
User Image

You can ask them or you can ask in Q/A or ask a good friend if they're super item savvy.

I care.

It's so awkard asking someone because you have to be like '' What is the name of that one cute little shirt thingy i see peeking out ever so sneakily out from your top avatar area '' The person doesn't know what the ******** you are talking about and more often then not the user in question will reply to your pm like '' ***** WAT DO YOU CARE ******** OFF STAP TRYING 2 STEEL Mi AVATARZZZ MAKE UR OWN11!!1111 ''. Therefore it usually doesn't work. I don't have any item savy friends.. emo

I've never had ANYONE refuse to tell me what item they had on, although if they did I would find out in Q&A. Don't be lazy.

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
I've only been refused exactly once and the person who refused me wasn't the least bit impolite about it.

I keep mine off because well, it's kind of funny how some people are so buttmad that they feel entitled to such information. I mean, if I saw someone with cute shoes at a store, I'd say "wow, what cute shoes! where did you buy them?" not "you b***h why don't you have a floating list behind you that tells me where you bought them! (山 °益°)山".

Cambrie Noel's Husband

Wicked Demigod

QUARAN7INE
7obias
I hide mine because I have experienced getting several avatars of mine copied - I don't mind people asking me though, if they ask me then I will answer them, it's no big deal.. I just don't like when people copy everything down to the smallest detail. It's simply because of bad experiences that keeps me from making it public, but that doens't make me a rude person.

Lol it happened before I met you xP But a person copied several of my avatars.. also later.. within the 2 past years, someone managed to copy a few of my avatars.. some even try copy the 7 in the name >.> and it's annoying in the manner that I really try hard to make some of my avatars (obviously not this one, but some of my previous avatars hae been pretty darn awesome), and it sucks to see someone just "steal" my creativity like that

Precious Sweetheart

9,100 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

emotion_bigheart From the viewpoint of someone who cosplays on here and has been cosplaying for years on Gaia, it can get annoying when someone decides to copy you. People will say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, but some people don't see it in that light. Some people find it to be annoying. Especially when you're someone who works hard on your pixels or does things for the arenas. It's irksome when someone has the means to try out other item combinations, yet decides to make themselves into a carbon copy of you.

To some people, this isn't a big deal and I can understand and respect that. However, as with any issue in life, there are people who are going to feel the opposite of how you feel about something.

It could be called immature or even childish. That's someone's opinion and it doesn't bother me, because despite these being just 'pixels on the internet', it IS a pain in the a** to find items to match and compliment a color scheme (especially when we have things like different shades of white and black. There isn't simply 'white'; We have pearly white, dull white, bright white, snowy white, etc.) and to save up gold for some of these items. And, when someone comes along and can't just create s**t on their own, it's annoying and a little insulting. It's sort of like taking a test; You studied really hard for it and then the person beside you decides to just look off of your paper for the answers.

I've had it happen to me when I cosplayed Naruto, Disney, etc. I most recently even had it with this cosplay of mine and it does piss me off because my combination isn't the end all-be all of combinations. Nobody said that my character HAD to wear pink, purple, and gold. I just went with this color scheme because it's what /I/ personally enjoyed and worked with the best. And, it DID take me a while to find items to compliment this and to save up. My character is originally a pony in the show and there are no canon human forms of her. For all that we know, she could wear blue because her favorite color is blue if she were human. She could like green. She could like orange. Yet, time and again, I've had other users steal and rip from not only my profile (which is reportable), but from my avatar. And, it does piss me off because it's not as if we're limited on items. We've gotten MUCH more lately and they're of wonderful quality, yet I still see girls taking the lazy way out and ripping either my entire avatar or taking bits and pieces from it and mashing it together (half assed) with something they just threw together on a whim. You'd think that because there is no canon human form of this character, that people would reap the benefits of that and work from their own imagination. Evidently not.

Again, could this view sound childish to some people? Sure, and I won't attack you if you think so. However, this is my view on the situation. I'd respect yours if you respected mine.

What's more, when you find a certain combination and plan to enter it in the arenas and someone else steals it because they saw you with it, you wind up having less of a chance of placing. The snippy arena regulars will complain that the combination has already been done and to find another, when what you've found is closest and the best, but someone else went and took it. Not too long after Pinot Noiress came out, I used it to create a Tinkerbell that I placed in the arenas with. I was the first. Nobody else used that combo. The very next week (and I s**t you not, the VERY. NEXT. WEEK.), there were a crapload of Tinkerbell cosplays that were using the same.

People just have a grand time ripping off things, whether it be half assed or otherwise.

Champion

I used to have it hidden but finally came to the realization that I don't have a fancy enough avi for it to get stolen. xd

Merry Bunny

16,600 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Do I have mine hidden..... -goes to check- I do? Huh. I don't remember doing that. -changes it-
The way I see it, I don't particularly care whether or not someone hides their equipped list. It's personal preference really, if someone chooses to use that feature. The only time I do have a problem with someone hiding their equipped list is when that person is rude about telling someone what an item is or refuses to do it. I had this happen to me recently. I found someone with a bow and a skirt I did not recognize. I asked them what those items were, and they refused to tell me what the skirt was, saying that they worked hard to make that avatar combination, even though anyone could tell it was just one item. So I grab a picture of their avatar and go to Avatar Talk, and ask them what the skirt was. Didn't post their name, didn't say anything about what they had said, just asked what the skirt was. They post in the thread I made saying I was being rude for posting a picture of their avatar, as if it were so terribly unique. They finally told me what the stupid skirt was, and then proceeded to tell me I was being rude, and that they were ignoring me. I mean really? I don't care how hard you work on an avatar, acting like that is never good behavior.

Shapeshifter

7obias
QUARAN7INE
7obias

Lol it happened before I met you xP But a person copied several of my avatars.. also later.. within the 2 past years, someone managed to copy a few of my avatars.. some even try copy the 7 in the name >.> and it's annoying in the manner that I really try hard to make some of my avatars (obviously not this one, but some of my previous avatars hae been pretty darn awesome), and it sucks to see someone just "steal" my creativity like that
that sucks confused more when one work hard to do an outfit we may spent months trying to ace

Shapeshifter

Destrius
I used to have it hidden but finally came to the realization that I don't have a fancy enough avi for it to get stolen. xd
you would be surprised neutral

Champion

QUARAN7INE
Destrius
you would be surprised neutral
What?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas